IGNORED

Nigel Pearson - Confirmed as new City Manager on a 3 Year Deal

CyderInACan

16 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

All the clubs are coming off of Social Media in protest against the racist and abusive posts of late.

OK thanks. They should come off for good imo and not merely for that reason.

16 hours ago, Robbored said:

It’s quite right that they should protest but why only four days? Surely for it to have a real impact then the protest should be much longer - minimum of a month for social media platforms to take note.

It looks like a token jesture to me.  

For ever. It's all elitist ownership and spyware anyway. Nobody needs it. 

15 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Be patient, folks, Pearson is our new manager, just the media boycott preventing official announcement, and that is why leaked to local journo on The Guardian; and other appointments and structures will follow.

What's this media boycott about then? Linked to social media?. 

12 hours ago, PhilC said:

Anyone know who the bloke next to him is?

jmp_bcfc_nigel_pearson_contract_rt033.jpg

He looks Bermudian to be fair.

12 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Lets be fair he looks a lot happier and more relaxed there than the last time he was asked to "welcome" a new manager.........

Speed limit in Bermuda is 20mph. It's perfect for toy cars. 

11 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Han Noah has his qualities but that has to be a contender for the mismatch of all time...............

That sort of thing is down to the way the manager had them set up. Id love to see us dominate this league over the next 3 years, and for pearson to take us up, but that sort of thing and moaning about players not communicating in games is just poor

13 hours ago, JonDolman said:

O'Dowda too. Pearson said in a previous interview that we have to concentrate on getting O'Dowda right for next season as he's a key player for us.

I'm not surprised Pearson rates many of our injured players. We have badly missed many of them for much of the season.

Does that beg some questions about where we might have been if previous managers had even an average number of injuries to deal with over the last couple of years?

It’s a genuine question: I don’t have as hugely strong a view as others on our managerial appointments and departures, so interested in your view.

Our current squad really isn’t hugely different to the squad that we had 18 months ago that maintained a top six position throughout, for example, Nov 19. They are not as bad as many would make out and comments like ‘even Pep couldn’t do anything with this squad’ seem to miss that point. Seems like we’re now expecting Nige to achieve something with them - and maybe rightly so, but also makes me wonder how others would have done with a fully fit squad. 

Just now, Simon bristol said:

That sort of thing is down to the way the manager had them set up. Id love to see us dominate this league over the next 3 years, and for pearson to take us up, but that sort of thing and moaning about players not communicating in games is just poor

Was HNM marking Bradley at every corner and free kick? Do you honestly believe that a manager with Nigel Pearson's experience and coaches with the experience of Simpson and Downing would want and instruct HNM to mark Sonny Bradley at set pieces? Really? I know you clearly don't rate him but come on, be realistic about it for a second rather than just lumping every negative at his door. I'll guarantee, just from my experience of playing, that a lack of communication at one or two set pieces would have left HNM marking Sonny Bradley...........that backs up my view that Kalas is one of the most unfit for purpose "Captains" I have ever seen in a red shirt and to be honest it doesn't reflect well on Bentley either if that sort of mismatch is allowed to occur.

It's done now, anyway, and similar to the Holden appointment no amount of moaning about the bloke and blaming him for every last thing that goes wrong is going to change it.

I'm very pleased to get the clarity on the situation. I thought JL, someone who I've criticised in the past, came across well also on interview.

With the contract situation it's a great opportunity to rebuild effectively this summer. I am not necessarily expecting a promotion push next season, but what I'd like to see is more entertaining football, a clear identity in how we play and players such as Massengo, Dasilva, Walsh, Williams and Semenyo becoming key players.

I was far less forgiving with Holden because of the board's messaging. The indication was "expectations haven't changed" ie top 6. Then they appointed someone who clearly didn't have the experience or ability to get us there after weeks of mixed messaging.

This time, we've been divisive and appointed someone the vast majority are behind. Fans back next season also hopefully. Could be an exciting few years ahead. 

Just now, italian dave said:

Does that beg some questions about where we might have been if previous managers had even an average number of injuries to deal with over the last couple of years?

It’s a genuine question: I don’t have as hugely strong a view as others on our managerial appointments and departures, so interested in your view.

Our current squad really isn’t hugely different to the squad that we had 18 months ago that maintained a top six position throughout, for example, Nov 19. They are not as bad as many would make out and comments like ‘even Pep couldn’t do anything with this squad’ seem to miss that point. Seems like we’re now expecting Nige to achieve something with them - and maybe rightly so, but also makes me wonder how others would have done with a fully fit squad. 

Even with a fully fit squad there have been consistent signs that it would never achieve top 6 if only people are prepared to look BEYOND the actual results. For a start we can only play on the counter attack and watching our inept efforts over a three year period to break down teams who play the "Parked Bus" formation has been truly embarrassing because we simply don't have players with the ability to go on the front foot in a game. We are totally reliant on teams coming at us and leaving us a little bit of space in behind them to play.

People go on about our home form which is our achilles heel but how can they fail to spot that a team that plays like an away side, both at home and away, gets better results away from home? It's about where you finish after game 46 not where you were for one selected whole month in the season that gives the best indication of club ability. At no point by April of any season in the last 3-4 years have we been even remotely threatening a play-off spot and that tells me much of what I need to know about the "abilities" of our squad. 

1 hour ago, archie andrews said:

Sol bamba? 

Currently taking a break from the game whilst he undergoes cancer treatment mate.

Obviously wish him well but can’t see anyone looking at signing him at present.

51 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Even with a fully fit squad there have been consistent signs that it would never achieve top 6 if only people are prepared to look BEYOND the actual results. For a start we can only play on the counter attack and watching our inept efforts over a three year period to break down teams who play the "Parked Bus" formation has been truly embarrassing because we simply don't have players with the ability to go on the front foot in a game. We are totally reliant on teams coming at us and leaving us a little bit of space in behind them to play.

People go on about our home form which is our achilles heel but how can they fail to spot that a team that plays like an away side, both at home and away, gets better results away from home? It's about where you finish after game 46 not where you were for one selected whole month in the season that gives the best indication of club ability. At no point by April of any season in the last 3-4 years have we been even remotely threatening a play-off spot and that tells me much of what I need to know about the "abilities" of our squad. 

I'll leave the question of how you get into the top 6 other than by results for now! But seriously, the point I was making if that if this squad is as poor as you - and others ('even Pep couldn't do anything with it' etc) - suggest, then presumably it's going no further with NP in charge either? That was where my question and comment came from - the statement by NP that we have good players in the squad, the suggestion that we're not going to see too many changes over the summer etc. That suggests that he sees more in our current players than you do?

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I'll leave the question of how you get into the top 6 other than by results for now! But seriously, the point I was making if that if this squad is as poor as you - and others ('even Pep couldn't do anything with it' etc) - suggest, then presumably it's going no further with NP in charge either? That was where my question and comment came from - the statement by NP that we have good players in the squad, the suggestion that we're not going to see too many changes over the summer etc. That suggests that he sees more in our current players than you do?

I will answer your original point. The way we obtained results to get into the top 6 for a month was unsustainable over a whole season, over a 3 year period etc. and that isn't a matter of opinion, it's 100% fact because we've never finished there.

What I think he will do this summer is start with the spine of the team. Goalkeeper needed if Bentley goes, Centre Half, Centre Mid and Centre Forward. If he wants the option to play with width he also has to sign at least one wide player. Other than that in his first season he is relying on the likes of O'Dowda, Palmer, Wells, Kalas and whoever else he decides to keep to have enough to stay in the division. To be fair with the right additions that shouldn't be an issue and we might also see a change in playing style too. Remember NP cleraly stated he needs 4-6 windows to turn us into a promotion chasing team and has specifically also said we are nowhere near it right now. That wasn't a flippant, passing comment. It was as clear as day what he has been repeating for weeks now. The fact that approaching double figures of players will be allowed to leave is not a ringing endorsement of squad ability.................but's it's also about more than lack of ability, it's also about their lack of flexibility. Nowhere do you question my statement that our squad is currently one dimensional.........do you disagree with that?

I don't see much happening in the winter window unless we are desperately short somewhere so for me the interesting window will be his THIRD one because that is where, in my opinion, the real process of building a promotion challenging team starts.

Whether it works out or not I think the board have made the right move bringing in a serious, no nonsense character with a good level of experience at this level and the level we aspire to be at. It will possibly take a few years to rebuild the squad so I see it as a tricky long term project and it comes with plenty of risk if results don't pick up, but hoping Nige is the man to build a squad with what it takes to challenge at the top end of the championship. To make an underperforming city like Bristol realise its potential is a great opportunity for the right man, plenty have failed or haven't had the luck needed but fingers crossed its a new dawn for the football club!

14 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Fair enough, essentially whoever is in charge of coaching defensive set-pieces needs to go, as we are awful.

I agree, the marking at set pieces has been dreadful all season, even Kalas and the other CBs have been caught lacking multiple times.

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

I think the issue is the balance the nature of the squad. We've a lot of supporting players but no leaders and nobody who will dominate a match.

I think there are plenty within the squad - e.g. Bentley, Vyner, Kalas, Dasilva, Massengo, Bakinson, Nagy, Palmer, Semenyo, Weimann, Martin and Wells - who, if fit and consistent, could be part of a good Championship squad.

However

a) Many of them are inconsistent or can't stay fit

b) None of them are leaders

c) None of them are players who will turn a game or raise the team's performance if things go against us.

If we could sign four or five dominant players who can be the backbone of the team, I think we've got the players to supplement that and build out a team that, whilst perhaps not challenging for promotion, could certainly look far more competitive than we do right now. The problem is that, without those players, we look like a team with no leadership and no backbone. 

10 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think the issue is the balance the nature of the squad. We've a lot of supporting players but no leaders and nobody who will dominate a match.

I think there are plenty within the squad - e.g. Bentley, Vyner, Kalas, Dasilva, Massengo, Bakinson, Nagy, Palmer, Semenyo, Weimann, Martin and Wells - who, if fit and consistent, could be part of a good Championship squad.

However

a) Many of them are inconsistent or can't stay fit

b) None of them are leaders

c) None of them are players who will turn a game or raise the team's performance if things go against us.

If we could sign four or five dominant players who can be the backbone of the team, I think we've got the players to supplement that and build out a team that, whilst perhaps not challenging for promotion, could certainly look far more competitive than we do right now. The problem is that, without those players, we look like a team with no leadership and no backbone. 

That's one of the best summations of it I've read tbh.

16 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Genuine question here - and I do agree with your overall point. 

How do you go about finding players who are leaders and have the mental strength we lack? 

We know there is a team of analysts. Davefevs posts lots of interesting statistical data on here, which is presumably the kind of info they use. Where do you go to get reliable insight on a player's mental strength and leadership though?

Do you rely on knowing them already e. g. Danny Simpson. That seems very limiting. Is it by talking to their current coaches i. e. relying on someone with their own agenda. 

It feels like this is where we've been going wrong but I'm not sure how easy it is to fix. 

2 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

How do you go about finding players who are leaders and have the mental strength we lack? 

We know there is a team of analysts. Davefevs posts lots of interesting statistical data on here, which is presumably the kind of info they use. Where do you go to get reliable insight on a player's mental strength and leadership though?

Do you rely on knowing them already e. g. Danny Simpson. That seems very limiting. Is it by talking to their current coaches i. e. relying on someone with their own agenda. 

It feels like this is where we've been going wrong but I'm not sure how easy it is to fix. 

As a manager you are stood on the touchline watching and hearing these players (although when we play it seems there is an eerie silence). Players will also recognise it too. There are no statistics that performance analysts can use to determine who is the right type of character and that's why total reliance on this data to assemble your squads will get you in trouble. Data is a tool to help you, not the be all and end all. I remember that Gary Johnson became absolutely fixated by Prozone and seemed to forget to use his own judgement based on 40 years in the game!! Sometimes you've gotta use your nose and sniff them out......good old fashioned detective work as the police say.

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Was HNM marking Bradley at every corner and free kick? Do you honestly believe that a manager with Nigel Pearson's experience and coaches with the experience of Simpson and Downing would want and instruct HNM to mark Sonny Bradley at set pieces? Really? I know you clearly don't rate him but come on, be realistic about it for a second rather than just lumping every negative at his door. I'll guarantee, just from my experience of playing, that a lack of communication at one or two set pieces would have left HNM marking Sonny Bradley...........that backs up my view that Kalas is one of the most unfit for purpose "Captains" I have ever seen in a red shirt and to be honest it doesn't reflect well on Bentley either if that sort of mismatch is allowed to occur.

It's done now, anyway, and similar to the Holden appointment no amount of moaning about the bloke and blaming him for every last thing that goes wrong is going to change it.

Well it shouldnt have happened once, the guy is obviously a danger from set pieces.

im still enjoying the little giggle given when he said results havent been good enough but i still got given a 3 year contract.

1 minute ago, Simon bristol said:

Well it shouldnt have happened once, the guy is obviously a danger from set pieces.

im still enjoying the little giggle given when he said results havent been good enough but i still got given a 3 year contract.

Agreed, once is too many and if I was manager I would haul both my Captain and my Goalkeeper over the coals for it INTERNALLY. Massengo would have known straight away "this can't be right" but as a player you still do the job because trying to mark somebody you are not able to mark is better than not bothering at all. You might just get lucky and win the header or put enough of a block in........

24 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Nige will be able to draw on his significant experience, together with presumably a wide range of contacts in the game. However, it's essential that the support staff (an assistant and possibly dof) are in place ASAP. 

14 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Who do you think we should have appointed? Because clearly you don't think it should have been Pearson.

18 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I’d imagine Pearson has already identified or is in the process of identifying potential targets right now.

You tend to find a lot of the more experienced managers at this level your Hughton’s Warnock’s etc tend to sign players they know/have worked with before and i can see Pearson going down this route with us.  

Unearthing quality players who you know have the mental attributes is obviously an art and as Pearson would probably tell you himself there is no exact science too it. There is a risk in any signing but by carrying out the correct due diligence and with (hopefully) people like Steve Walsh on board who have been there and done it I’m confident we will get the right characters on board.

Archived