IGNORED

Nigel Pearson - Confirmed as new City Manager on a 3 Year Deal

CyderInACan

In the hope that this is confirmed IMO it’s the best thing that’s happened to our club this season, in fact for several seasons. 
For the first time in along time I think we can genuinely start to look forward to things changing on and off the pitch, it will take time, we will all heed to be realistic/patient.

Thank you SL for having the courage to reconsider our situation and to appoint an experienced manager who will say it like it is and be relentless in the pursuit of success.

Look forward to it being officially confirmed and to NP really rolling his sleeves up and becoming a BCFC legend. 

The contract detail doesn’t sound too far from what I’d heard and alluded to on the other thread a couple of days ago. 
SL was offering 12 month rolling, Nige wanted 4 years and they’d likely settle on 2 years with an option for a 3rd. 
Sounds good. 

I think bashing Simpson and Downing is harsh. We should trust Pearson’s judgement on this, he knows a lot more about the game than anyone on here and would of seen enough to know if they could work with himself and trust them with the players. No more bitching about staff, let's get behind them 100%.

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Oh that may upset a few..

Be fantastic news for the majority

I can understand it tbf 

If they weren't set on NP before there's still not much a reason to be set on him now. If any, could see it as more reasons not to due to the results. But I think most of us see the bigger picture and what NP will bring in the longterm

13 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

A man who gets sacked by Northwich Victoria and another who gets sacked by Cheltenham Town seem pretty dumb to me.....i wouldnt even get sacked by Northwich Victoria.....

OK but you don't know what they were trying to do that got them sacked. With a lot of lower league sides you can be sold a job and then not given the resources to do it. 

I'm not sure what there roles were there either or how long ago it was - seems like a different thread to unpack this one. 

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

The contract detail doesn’t sound too far from what I’d heard and alluded to on the other thread a couple of days ago. 
SL was offering 12 month rolling, Nige wanted 4 years and they’d likely settle on 2 years with an option for a 3rd. 
Sounds good. 

Haha, as if someone like Pearson would settle for 12 month rolling. Ridiculous.

14 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

A man who gets sacked by Northwich Victoria and another who gets sacked by Cheltenham Town seem pretty dumb to me.....i wouldnt even get sacked by Northwich Victoria.....

You wouldn’t even get sucked by Northwich Victoria ?

3 minutes ago, j1974 said:

I think bashing Simpson and Downing is harsh. We should trust Pearson’s judgement on this, he knows a lot more about the game than anyone on here and would of seen enough to know if they could work with himself and trust them with the players. No more bitching about staff, let's get behind them 100%.

Exactly. Why do they get all the blame for failing to turn this squad round while NP gets none? If the squad is as bad as people have now decided, they’re pretty blameless too.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Haha, as if someone like Pearson would settle for 12 month rolling. Ridiculous.

Does seem churlish if true. 12 month renewals are fine for an unknown like Holden but obviously Pearson wouldn't want to be on that kind of contract.

I'm glad he's staying, hopefully this gives us a good balance between stability and change. 

7 minutes ago, j1974 said:

Indeed. People need to realise that if they bash Pearson’s choices then they are bashing Pearson. If he is happy to sign up on this basis I will back his judgement. 

34 minutes ago, phantom said:

You assume talks haven't been ongoing for a number of weeks? 

Amazing how all of this is from one reporters tweet 

Percy was pretty quick with the news when we appointed Pearson on an interim basis..nothing 100% guaranteed but he's generally quite reliable IMO, seems especially to know his stuff with Midlands football, the North as well.

Sure talks have been going on longer than reported, agreed.

1 minute ago, Leveller said:

Exactly. Why do they get all the blame for failing to turn this squad round while NP gets none? If the squad is as bad as people have now decided, they’re pretty blameless too.

The squad and style of play has been woeful for a couple of years, under various managers and coaches. For what it's worth I think Simpson would be a good link between Pearson and the players, Simpson comes across well when being interviewed. It could be good Cop, bad cop. 

1 minute ago, Sturny said:

But he accepted basically a 4-5 month trial didn't he? Interested why you think one is ridiculous to him and the other not

Reports at the time were that the short term deal was as much Pearson's want as the club's. I don't think it's strange at all for him to accept/request a trial period, decide that yes he can and would like to try and turn us around, and then ask for more certainty.

5 minutes ago, Leveller said:

They were part of the Holden regime and I for one would love to see a clean sweep of the coaching staff and for NP to get the men he wants.  But you can’t have it all and good point made earlier that we need to concentrate on filling the roles we don’t have currently.  Just feel though that if we really are going for it let’s go all in. Far far easier said than done though I very much appreciate that.  

2 minutes ago, Sturny said:

But he accepted basically a 4-5 month trial didn't he? Interested why you think one is ridiculous to him and the other not

Because he'd have options that would offer him better than 12 month rolling for a long term project. Mid season for a firefighting job with a view to longer term is different situation. 

Now we have everyone based at the High Performance Centre I wouldn’t be surprised to see Downing or Simpson more involved in coaching our Under 23 group with their relevant experience. That could feasibly make space for a new assistant. Pearson will be looking at restructuring and being on one site opens up new possibilities and opportunities.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

What makes you think they are bad coaches? 

You say its great news Pearson will be our manager. But don't you rate his judgement on what coaches he wants to work with?

In all honesty, i dont have major beef with them, but the whole set up this season has been poor, & the videos at the start of the season of Downing setting up training sessions didnt look great to me. 

Im not sure he will have said he “wants” to work with them, more so he feels he may have needed to say that to get the job full time. Keep them until the end of the season, then maybe he will bring his own men in. Given the choice, in my opinion, i dont believe he would have picked them if they werent already here & can see him bringing in his own in time.

Archived