IGNORED

Geoff Merrick

GrahamC

16 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Congrats,

and would any one know who the boy was who took over Geoffs paper round before he(Geoff) commenced his career at Ashton Gate

Did Geoff go to Ashton Gate to train whilst the new paperboy went to Ashton Gate by train?

1 hour ago, Chessels Chick said:

Quite a few years back I and a friend did a sports physio course with Buster at Ashton Gate using real live patients one of which was GM ...had to feel his groin ?? Cue lots of girly giggles and that was just from Geoff ? Happy Birthday!

Trollope !!!

4 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Congrats Sir Geoffrey, one of the finest and classiest players I`ve ever seen.

Can we please change the thread title though - I can`t be the only one who opened it fearing what they might see.

Me too, I thought please no,

Sir Geoff...one of my favourite all time players along with Cheese and Gerry Gow

As a youngster he was one of my many heroes in our tope flight team. I was a paperboy and remember reading on the back of the WDP that Arsenal were after him. Even more of a hero after he stayed.

Later in life I got to know him quite well through work, lovely bloke but I still can’t believe someone can captain a team in the top flight for 4 years and still have to graft on a building site when you retire from football.

Imagine nowadays, 4 years as an ever present in the top flight if you invest wisely you won’t have to work hard again.

5 hours ago, Red Bill said:

I would love to see again, that wonderful pic of him scoring a goal when he appears to be levitating three feet off the ground.

Can anyone make my day....?

Buenas noches Bill! Is this the one?

Captain Fantastic heading home from Keith Fear's free-kick on Boxing Day, 1975.

City 2 - Plymouth Argyle 2.

With Paul Cheesley off injured before half-time (hello Nathan!), it's left to City's centre halves Merrick and Collier to cancel out 2 Paul Mariner goals for the visitors in what was, not for the last time, a crackling Xmas derby. 

Just 4 months later, Merrick's Marvels had sealed promotion to the promised land. What a team. We can but dream.   

GM header.jpg

Archived