Team for Millwall

JonDolman

I think the promising first half might make Pearson stick with the system. But with slight changes.

Bentley 

Vyner  Kalas  Baker Sessegnon

Bakinson Massengo 

Nagy.                  Scott

Conway  Wells 

Lansbury had a very good first half. But so did Bakinson. Together I think they maybe are not the sharpest when we are on the back foot like we were 2nd half.

Massengo alongside Bakinson could have a good balance imo.

Scott looked very bright when he came on. Clearly looks a very special talent. Let's give him a go. 

Nagy obviously with the goal and assist and generally moving the ball very well on the right and working so hard, would be good to keep him on the right.

Up top Wells and Conway looked very impressive first half, but everything was too far away from them in the 2nd. Something to look at again imo. 

Edited by JonDolman
  • Like 7
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Probably a bit too soon for Dasilva ?

Pring had a run out in the u-23s so maybe some minutes for him ?

Conway a must start for me - I'd like to see more of him.

Yeah I'd say too soon for Dasilva. Doesn't seem much point in risking him. Would love too see him, but probably best to get him right for next season.

Pring as well I'd be very surprised if Nigel gambles on him. Not sure on Nurse, if he's injured again or not. 

Wonder how close Simpson is to being available?

If he is I fully expect him to start.

With it seeming like NP’s future is sorted now I hope as much as possible he concentrates on those he wants to keep on, plus the U23s for the last two.

27 minutes ago, GlastonburyRed said:

Thoughts with him, hope he is released soon; I should think watching us play this season is enough to cause a lot of us to be committed.

Bad typing or predictive text!

Yes he was unlucky called back from loan, set to play - then injured.

I understand a few clubs wanted to buy him but City wouldn't let him go. I would think with a new manager he will either be in the first team squad or sold. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

Bad typing or predictive text!

Yes he was unlucky called back from loan, set to play - then injured.

I understand a few clubs wanted to buy him but City wouldn't let him go. I would think with a new manager he will either be in the first team squad or sold. 

Played the other day in the U-23s.

If Nathan Baker is fit then it would be foolish not to play him. By far the best defender at the club. Some other aspects of his game might need improving but he blocks, intercepts and tackles better than anyone. I’d be surprised if the stats didn’t prove that. He must also be the tallest defender, experienced and now that Dr De Ath has gone maybe his injuries are behind him ? 

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

Bentley

Hunt.....Kalas.....Baker.......Ses

Vyner.....Rowe

Hano....Bakinson....Semenyo

Wells

I predict a riot. A comfortable 8-0 for one side or the other. 

Edited by RedRock
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, redapple said:

If Nathan Baker is fit then it would be foolish not to play him. By far the best defender at the club. Some other aspects of his game might need improving but he blocks, intercepts and tackles better than anyone. I’d be surprised if the stats didn’t prove that. He must also be the tallest defender, experienced and now that Dr De Ath has gone maybe his injuries are behind him ? 

Disagree on that. Kalas the far better defender for me.

I have never quite understood why fans rate Baker so highly. I think overall the signing of Baker for 4 million odd and being one of our highest earners has been a poor signing.

Be interesting to see what clubs come in for Baker in the summer.

• Confused 2

44 minutes ago, redapple said:

🤣🤣

On 29/04/2021 at 10:14, JonDolman said:

I think the promising first half might make Pearson stick with the system. But with slight changes.

Bentley 

Vyner  Kalas  Baker Sessegnon

Bakinson Massengo 

Nagy.                  Scott

Conway  Wells 

The one obvious change I would make is, unless we are seriously considering putting in an offer for Sessegnon, Towler at Left Back. Otherwise wouldn't really argue with any of that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The one obvious change I would make is, unless we are seriously considering putting in an offer for Sessegnon, Towler at Left Back. Otherwise wouldn't really argue with any of that.

Yeah good point. 

Or is Nurse a possibility? Was 21 start of the season so does that mean he doesn't have to be registered?

Or with Pearson saying they have a couple of players to look at to see if they can play, I wonder if Dasilva is one of those. Though that would surprise me and would be a pointless gamble I think.

Just now, JonDolman said:

Yeah good point. 

Or is Nurse a possibility? Was 21 start of the season so does that mean he doesn't have to be registered?

Or with Pearson saying they have a couple of players to look at to see if they can play, I wonder if Dasilva is one of those. Though that would surprise me and would be a pointless gamble I think.

Yes, what benefit would it be to play Dasilva? We know what he's about. My thinking is that the last time Towler played he got hooked after 44 minutes so a couple of appearances to finish the season will well and truly get it out of his system. I have a feeling he might be one of a couple of "very young" players (even the only one potentially, possibly Sam Bell another) that DOESN'T go on loan next season and stays in the first team squad pushing hard as cover and getting minutes here and there.

• Like 1

Just now, Numero Uno said:

Yes, what benefit would it be to play Dasilva? We know what he's about. My thinking is that the last time Towler played he got hooked after 44 minutes so a couple of appearances to finish the season will well and truly get it out of his system. I have a feeling he might be one of a couple of "very young" players (even the only one potentially, possibly Sam Bell another) that DOESN'T go on loan next season and stays in the first team squad pushing hard as cover and getting minutes here and there.

My only thought there is that Pearson might feel it's important to win the next 2 games. But yeah agree I hope he doesn't go with Dasilva. 

Towler impressed me against Sheff Utd and would be good to give him another go.

Alex Scott is another who I think might not be loaned out. He looks a very special talent. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah good point. 

Expect Simpson is one of those.

Now Pearson has the job & has talked about a lack of leaders, I think he will want to see him a bit more before deciding on whether he keeps him on, though my hunch is that he is going to.

Not sure Nurse is fit, only featured in 1 under 23 game & not the last one, we’ll see.

Just now, GrahamC said:

Expect Simpson is one of those.

Now Pearson has the job & has talked about a lack of leaders, I think he will want to see him a bit more before deciding on whether he keeps him on, though my hunch is that he is going to.

Not sure Nurse is fit, only featured in 1 under 23 game & not the last one, we’ll see.

I am no expert on injuries, but I think Simpson went off with cramp 3 weeks ago. Long time out for a cramp. Wondering if it was more than that. The way he signalled was like it was a bad one.

23 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I am no expert on injuries, but I think Simpson went off with cramp 3 weeks ago. Long time out for a cramp. Wondering if it was more than that. The way he signalled was like it was a bad one.

Agree, Pearson played it down at the time but if he’s not back today that’s probably it for the season & Pearson will then have to decide on him based on what he knew already.

• Like 1

When Baker is fit he is that ball winning centre half we all want.. always seems prone to a 'rash' challenge but him and Kalas would be a great partnership...if we can keep Baker fit.  Let's not forget how good he was for us when on 'loan' all those years ago, and priced out of our reach.

NP was a no nonsense defender, he will know if he fits the bill for next season..or more can be relied on?  Perhaps more likely than not will be offered a contract, if he can prove his fitness and build up for next season in the summer ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah good point. 

Correct.

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

NP is talking about a trimmer, more competitive squad next season.

To my mind he needs to decide who out of the u23s are suitable fringe squad / cover players, and keep them in the u23s, not loan them out.

I see some posters suggesting the likes of Bakinson need a Lg1 loan.  What really is the use in that for a player who’s appeared 30 times in the Championship?

Some players are gonna have to miss out on the Lg1/Lg2 loan stint to give us numbers.  Don’t get me wrong it’s a fine balance / tough decision.

What we’ve ended up with this season is through poor planning.  I said last summer that you need to evaluate the tolls of a condensed season / fixture list before you commit your “fringe youngsters” to loans.  Hang fire on loaning them out until Xmas when you can check the demands of the season.  As it transpired it was an injury car crash.

The likes of Pring / Nurse should’ve been around to cover Dasilva and Rowe - not Towler....and that’s not dissing Towler who did ok.

Morton should’ve been the back-up in midfield, not Z.Smith.

We need to be a bit more “1st team selfish” this summer.

Then you’ve got different conundrums with the likes of Alex Scott.  I might argue that his apparent skill set might not be the learning experience you expect in Lg2, and that he, a bit like L.Kelly, is just gonna go straight to 1st team.  Carry out dazzling in the u23s and get your opportunities in the odd 1st team match here and there.

Over the next week or so, I’ll probably start compiling a squad depth chart, including the youngsters.

Recruitment for the first team needs to bear in mind the u23s pathway too, but it does need to not leave gaps like it has this season.  A host of injuries shouldn’t mean a change in system either, like it did this season.

Our planning for this season was naive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Correct.

To my mind he needs to decide who out of the u23s are suitable fringe squad / cover players, and keep them in the u23s, not loan them out.

I see some posters suggesting the likes of Bakinson need a Lg1 loan.  What really is the use in that for a player who’s appeared 30 times in the Championship?

Some players are gonna have to miss out on the Lg1/Lg2 loan stint to give us numbers.  Don’t get me wrong it’s a fine balance / tough decision.

What we’ve ended up with this season is through poor planning.  I said last summer that you need to evaluate the tolls of a condensed season / fixture list before you commit your “fringe youngsters” to loans.  Hang fire on loaning them out until Xmas when you can check the demands of the season.  As it transpired it was an injury car crash.

The likes of Pring / Nurse should’ve been around to cover Dasilva and Rowe - not Towler....and that’s not dissing Towler who did ok.

Then you’ve got different conundrums with the likes of Alex Scott.  I might argue that his apparent skill set might not be the learning experience you expect in Lg2, and that he, a bit like L.Kelly, is just gonna go straight to 1st team.  Carry out dazzling in the u23s and get your opportunities in the odd 1st team match here and there.

Over the next week or so, I’ll probably start compiling a squad depth chart, including the youngsters.

Recruitment for the first team needs to bear in mind the u23s pathway too, but it does need to not leave gaps like it has this season.  A host of injuries shouldn’t mean a change in system either, like it did this season.

Agree with a lot of that, but would it have been naive without the injuries ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Disagree on that. Kalas the far better defender for me.

I have never quite understood why fans rate Baker so highly. I think overall the signing of Baker for 4 million odd and being one of our highest earners has been a poor signing.

Be interesting to see what clubs come in for Baker in the summer.

Cant agree with this. Injury record is what it is. But when he is fit and he plays we are always a better team - and I don’t think you can say that anymore about Kalas. 

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Correct.

I'm thinking Conway looks a good understudy to Weimann for next season. Good energy and work rate (and probably similar quality already).

• Like 1