Team for Millwall

JonDolman

16 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Agree with a lot of that, but would it have been naive without the injuries ?

It would've been 5 months EFL development lost.  

In the case of Morton, he hardly got any minutes for Grimsby.  In Pring's case he was predominantly second-fiddle to Lee Brown, got a little run when LB got injured.

Re Pring, he needs a really good summer to prove he's a squad member.  He's 23 (Jan), never played at this level.  I do like the look of him when I've seen him play Lg1/2, but I'm waiting to see whether he's good enough for this level.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mozo said:

I'm thinking Conway looks a good understudy to Weimann for next season. Good energy and work rate (and probably similar quality already).

Intelligent movement for a young player too.  I think you make a very good point.

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

I'm thinking Conway looks a good understudy to Weimann for next season. Good energy and work rate (and probably similar quality already).

I don’t think you can expect any of the young lads to sustain a full season at championship level yet. It’s ok dipping them in & out for a couple of games but physically & mentally they’re not ready. They’re in the squad because of necessity , no other reason. They need to go out on loan down the pyramid for a season at least  

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Smith must score?

Unless Baker plays, Smith would have a 6 or 7 inch height advantage over any potential marker - and he is very good in the air.  It doesn't mean that he is guaranteed to score, but he has everything in his favour.  At least Baker would be able to compete against the aerial threat, assuming he is fit enough to play the whole game.  Just my very humble opinion.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Correct.

NP is talking about a trimmer, more competitive squad next season.

To my mind he needs to decide who out of the u23s are suitable fringe squad / cover players, and keep them in the u23s, not loan them out.

I see some posters suggesting the likes of Bakinson need a Lg1 loan.  What really is the use in that for a player who’s appeared 30 times in the Championship?

Some players are gonna have to miss out on the Lg1/Lg2 loan stint to give us numbers.  Don’t get me wrong it’s a fine balance / tough decision.

What we’ve ended up with this season is through poor planning.  I said last summer that you need to evaluate the tolls of a condensed season / fixture list before you commit your “fringe youngsters” to loans.  Hang fire on loaning them out until Xmas when you can check the demands of the season.  As it transpired it was an injury car crash.

The likes of Pring / Nurse should’ve been around to cover Dasilva and Rowe - not Towler....and that’s not dissing Towler who did ok.

Morton should’ve been the back-up in midfield, not Z.Smith.

We need to be a bit more “1st team selfish” this summer.

Then you’ve got different conundrums with the likes of Alex Scott.  I might argue that his apparent skill set might not be the learning experience you expect in Lg2, and that he, a bit like L.Kelly, is just gonna go straight to 1st team.  Carry out dazzling in the u23s and get your opportunities in the odd 1st team match here and there.

Over the next week or so, I’ll probably start compiling a squad depth chart, including the youngsters.

Recruitment for the first team needs to bear in mind the u23s pathway too, but it does need to not leave gaps like it has this season.  A host of injuries shouldn’t mean a change in system either, like it did this season.

Our planning for this season was naive.

As often, I totally agree.

A season as bad as this one means you really have to look deep for positives, but there are a few;

Vyner, gone from a possible sub to a regular, versatile, plus unlike many others he has proved he’s physically up to this & is on course for 50 appearances in all competitions.

Bakinson, I have been a critic but he had never played Championship level football before, on course for 35 games & with 4 goals, looking more of a goal threat than anyone centrally has since Brownhill left.

Massengo, incredibly still 19, he’s now made 50 Championship appearances & has been a rare positive of late.

Semenyo, another on course for 50 appearances this season at just 21.

These 4 (assuming none are sold) should be the template for the development of others & will all be integral to next season’s squad.

Based on his comments you would think Pearson expects Dasilva, Williams, O’Dowda & Martin who are under contract to feature significantly next season & so of the youngsters beneath that first group realistically a couple need breakthrough seasons in the way Vyner, Bakinson & Semenyo have just had.

Final point, don’t forget Max O’Leary, in the squad for every single game (only Wells has also done this) & being 2nd keeper is a thankless task, but we have produced our own really good one there.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

A season as bad as this one means you really have to look deep for positives, but there are a few;

Vyner, gone from a possible sub to a regular, versatile, plus unlike many others he has proved he’s physically up to this & is on course for 50 appearances in all competitions.

Bakinson, I have been a critic but he had never played Championship level football before, on course for 33 games & with 4 goals, looking more of a goal threat than anyone centrally has since Brownhill left.

Massengo, incredibly still 19, he’s now made 50 Championship appearances & has been a rare positive of late.

These 4 (assuming none are sold) should be the template for the development of others & will all be integral to next season’s squad.

Based on his comments you would think Pearson expects Dasilva, Williams, O’Dowda & Martin who are under contract to feature significantly next season & so of the youngsters beneath that first group realistically a couple need breakthrough seasons in the way Vyner, Bakinson & Semenyo just have had.

Final point, don’t forget Max O’Leary, in the squad for every single game (only Wells has also done this) & being 2nd keeper is a thankless task, but we have produced our own really good one there.

good points. Vyner, Bakinson, Massengo, Semenyo, Dasilva (who we have badly missed) and Williams will all be likely starters next season and that doesn't fill me with dread, its a solid starting point. We just need a couple of additions to provide the additional spark. Andi coming back in will be a big help in terms of securing results.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Bakinson, I have been a critic but he had never played Championship level football before, on course for 33 games & with 4 goals, looking more of a goal threat than anyone centrally has since Brownhill left.

Based on his comments you would think Pearson expects Dasilva, Williams, O’Dowda & Martin who are under contract to feature significantly next season & so of the youngsters beneath that first group realistically a couple need breakthrough seasons in the way Vyner, Bakinson & Semenyo just have had.

Final point, don’t forget Max O’Leary, in the squad for every single game (only Wells has also done this) & being 2nd keeper is a thankless task, but we have produced our own really good one there

Agree with you on these players but would add the following

Vyner getting better this season but for me needs to work on his concentration as tends to turn off during games.

Bakinson frustrating player undoubtedly has the talent to be a great player but as times can be really lazy and languid needs to learn to play for the whole game.

Massengo for me has been brilliant never stops trying and one of the best players this season, perhaps needs to calm down at times but at his age he's gonna be a star.

Semenyo does everything right apart from his shooting but have a feeling that will come with good coaching, not surprised other teams look at him over the years...

Will be better once we get Dasilva, Williams, O’Dowda & Martin fit like you said but for me a big miss has been Weimann not until he was injured did I realise how much energy and positivity does he add to the team, he never stops running and trying unlike some of the players we have...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

Cant agree with this. Injury record is what it is. But when he is fit and he plays we are always a better team - and I don’t think you can say that anymore about Kalas. 

Kalas has been immense in many games this season, like a one man defence at times. Made some bad errors for sure, too many for someone of his quality. But ability wise I think Kalas is on another level to Baker personally, and a more reliable defender.

I thought Baker would often be at fault for goals but rarely seemed to get mentioned by fans for some reason.

Baker was mainly poor for us under Cotts, but improved a lot under LJ at the end of the 15/16 season.

17/18 he was good up till Christmas and then completely different player up till the end of the season. Really since being beaten at the far post for the Wolves winner his performances dipped massively imo.

18/19 he didnt start many and I don't think many fans would have dropped Kalas or Webster for him. He walked off in 4 of the 16 league starts that season. Walked off looking injured in the one cup game he played in too.

19/20 an improvement, and more like the first half of the 17/18 season in his performances, though still the odd costly mistake. He came off injured in 5 of his 34 starts. The one cup game he started against Shrewsbury he walked off before half time too.

On his injuries. I accept him being injured for 43 league games this season. I don't actually think he's had many proper injuries before that one with us.

What I have a problem with is all the times he walks off, usually in the first half or at half time in games. I don't think he's willing to carry on when getting a knock. That's what I feel the problem is with him, as he's so often back available the next game.

Lee Johnson said himself he didnt know why Baker comes off and it is something they will have to look into. If there was an obvious good reason then I'd probably feel differently about it.

It's not something I accept, as I want a centre back who starts and finishes games. I don't know how we can find consistency with a centre back pairing if one of them we are always wondering if they will walk off the pitch.

On loan for us he walked off 8 times in 34 starts. And we were willing to pay 4 million (big money for us at the time) and make him our highest earner.

But I know many rate him highly on here so fair enough. But that's my of view of Baker.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Kalas has been immense in many games this season, like a one man defence at times. Made some bad errors for sure, too many for someone of his quality. But ability wise I think Kalas is on another level to Baker personally, and a more reliable defender.

I thought Baker would often be at fault for goals but rarely seemed to get mentioned by fans for some reason.

Baker was mainly poor for us under Cotts, but improved a lot under LJ at the end of the 15/16 season.

17/18 he was good up till Christmas and then completely different player up till the end of the season. Really since being beaten at the far post for the Wolves winner his performances dipped massively imo.

18/19 he didnt start many and I don't think many fans would have dropped Kalas or Webster for him. He walked off in 4 of the 16 league starts that season. Walked off looking injured in the one cup game he played in too.

19/20 an improvement, and more like the first half of the 17/18 season in his performances, though still the odd costly mistake. He came off injured in 5 of his 34 starts. The one cup game he started against Shrewsbury he walked off before half time too.

On his injuries. I accept him being injured for 43 league games this season. I don't actually think he's had many proper injuries before that one with us.

What I have a problem with is all the times he walks off, usually in the first half or at half time in games. I don't think he's willing to carry on when getting a knock. That's what I feel the problem is with him, as he's so often back available the next game.

Lee Johnson said himself he didnt know why Baker comes off and it is something they will have to look into. If there was an obvious good reason then I'd probably feel differently about it.

It's not something I accept, as I want a centre back who starts and finishes games. I don't know how we can find consistency with a centre back pairing if one of them we are always wondering if they will walk off the pitch.

On loan for us he walked off 8 times in 34 starts. And we were willing to pay 4 million (big money for us at the time) and make him our highest earner.

But I know many rate him highly on here so fair enough. But that's my of view of Baker.

Well, looks like we're about to find out about Baker.