IGNORED

Brutal and honest from the Chairman

Jerseybean

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

JL not only apologizes to us, the fans, in his media release he also says that ‘different things motive different players and certainly the players not being there has had an impact.’
Brutal and honest!

He can afford to be now!! He will be booting half of them up the backside on the way out in the next few weeks.

10 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

JL not only apologizes to us, the fans, in his media release he also says that ‘different things motive different players and certainly the players not being there has had an impact.’
Brutal and honest!

But in all honesty how long has he had to see the mood of the fans and write the words the fans wanted the hear. 

Or am I Just a cynic 

11 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Brutal and honest!

What media release? I’ve not seen it on the OS....

30 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

But in all honesty how long has he had to see the mood of the fans and write the words the fans wanted the hear. 

Or am I Just a cynic 

You're not being cynical. I get the impression JL has become as disinterested with this football club as a lot of fans have.

Hopefully a new long term managerial appointment, a strong transfer window and moving on various players will see a bit of passion return.

Maybe loss of MA will be the catalyst for people stepping up and over performing in their roles as credit for things done well won't be hoovered up by one individual and people will start to feel valued again.

That last bit is pure speculation.

48 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Interesting. Thanks for the link.

Two things strike me, the first being that it would have been so much better to have heard a little more of that sort of honesty and candour earlier in the season, it would have done JL favours part from anything else.

And second it's hard to square what JL is saying with the appointment of Dean Holden a year ago. 

But there we are, we're in a much better place now with NP at the helm.

13 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Two things strike me, the first being that it would have been so much better to have heard a little more of that sort of honesty and candour earlier in the season, it would have done JL favours part from anything else.

And second it's hard to square what JL is saying with the appointment of Dean Holden a year ago. 

I don't believe for one second that Dean Holden would have got the job last summer if Jon had been left to his own devices to make the decision. Just look at his interview "explaining" the decision. He looks shell shocked.

I've heard people blaming a small number of posters on here for abusing JL (he shouldn't be reading the shit that gets posted on here) and that has led to his lack of interest. I don't believe that for a second and would suspect that it is more likely to be the fact he is pissed of being Chairman of a Company he has a very limited say in particularly when his old man is looking for other investors to come in and want their say too. I know that type of Chairman role wouldn't interest me much, that's for sure. You look at that interview yesterday and it would seem that a bit of passion has been rekindled in Lansdown Jnr.

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I don't believe for one second that Dean Holden would have got the job last summer if Jon had been left to his own devices to make the decision. Just look at his interview "explaining" the decision. He looks shell shocked.

I've heard people blaming a small number of posters on here for abusing JL (he shouldn't be reading the shit that gets posted on here) and that has led to his lack of interest. I don't believe that for a second and would suspect that it is more likely to be the fact he is pissed of being Chairman of a Company he has a very limited say in particularly when his old man is looking for other investors to come in and want their say too. I know that type of Chairman role wouldn't interest me much, that's for sure. You look at that interview yesterday and it would seem that a bit of passion has been rekindled in Lansdown Jnr.

Maybe he lost interest because even as Chairman of the football club he was railroaded into the appointment of Dean Holden and as a fan of the club knew how unfathomable a spin it was to explain how DH got the job. His interview at time of Dean Holden’s appointment would add weight to this.

All speculation of course, but the rationale behind Holden’s appointment and the implosion it triggered culminating in a rebuild of this size fascinates and horrifies me in equal measures.

13 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Brutal and honest!

Been changed now then

I've started to feel a bit sorry for JL.   If you watch the interview with him and Nige on Youtube,  you can see he's out of his depth really.   He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer as I've said before, but he is in a difficult position.   A year ago he had to defend giving someone with zero experience the job and here he is saying what we need is someone with a load  of experience to do the job.    

So it's a total change of strategy , and, given the old CEO has gone (or he blooming well should have by now!!), a new strategy is appropriate.      You would have hoped that having someone with experience in the manager job was a no brainer, but the previous Lansdown strategy was to build a big stadium and a fancy training ground , grow our own talent and get a corporate suit to run the whole operation like a business.  No need for a serious football brain

What's clear to me from what I've seen of JL, is that he doesn't have much of a say in any of it.   It's either his dad or the grinning suit Mark Ashton who've been dictating things and poor old John Boy has to front it all up coz his dad is a tax exile.

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

Yes, definitely. It just smacks of (can’t think of the word) things not being right behind the scenes and trying to pretend otherwise...

I’m not sure I quite believe that JL only found out that MA was leaving a day before it was announced! I think the dynamics began to change around transfer window time, why perhaps they vetoed MA’s suggestion of the left backs...? Steve took the helm regarding Deano etc. 

29 minutes ago, Daniro said:

I've started to feel a bit sorry for JL.   If you watch the interview with him and Nige on Youtube,  you can see he's out of his depth really.   He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer as I've said before, but he is in a difficult position.   A year ago he had to defend giving someone with zero experience the job and here he is saying what we need is someone with a load  of experience to do the job.    

So it's a total change of strategy , and, given the old CEO has gone (or he blooming well should have by now!!), a new strategy is appropriate.      You would have hoped that having someone with experience in the manager job was a no brainer, but the previous Lansdown strategy was to build a big stadium and a fancy training ground , grow our own talent and get a corporate suit to run the whole operation like a business.  No need for a serious football brain

What's clear to me from what I've seen of JL, is that he doesn't have much of a say in any of it.   It's either his dad or the grinning suit Mark Ashton who've been dictating things and poor old John Boy has to front it all up coz his dad is a tax exile.

I feel sorry for him too, gets a lot of stick. I just think he’s really uncomfortable talking in public. I know I’d sound like a complete numpty in his position. 

JL spoke well in general yesterday . One thing I didn’t understand was him saying that MA going on gardening leave didn’t matter as there wasn’t a conflict of interest , but there is. 
Ok he’s doing us a favour taking Rolls & werhun with him , but isn’t he actually recruiting the clubs employees . How is that not a conflict of interest . 

5 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes, definitely. It just smacks of (can’t think of the word) things not being right behind the scenes and trying to pretend otherwise...

I’m not sure I quite believe that JL only found out that MA was leaving a day before it was announced! I think the dynamics began to change around transfer window time, why perhaps they vetoed MA’s suggestion of the left backs...? Steve took the helm regarding Deano etc. 

Reports on here suggest that Ashton was involved in the American's acquisition of Ipswich -  a process which must have taken months.   Surely the Lansdown's must know this and yet they still seem to expect us to believe they only found out he was leaving at the last minute.     Not credible,

I don't doubt that Ashton will have lied the whole way through but surely SL would dig deeper or they all  need to be more honest with us what has been going on.

21 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

JL spoke well in general yesterday . One thing I didn’t understand was him saying that MA going on gardening leave didn’t matter as there wasn’t a conflict of interest , but there is. 
Ok he’s doing us a favour taking Rolls & werhun with him , but isn’t he actually recruiting the clubs employees . How is that not a conflict of interest . 

The only reason I can see for letting MA leave amicably is the hope that he ‘lures away’ the rest of his cronies and saves us the expense of sacking them.  Otherwise it seems unfathomable why you would allow MA to continue in post in the current situation.

36 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

That's not what he said at all though. He said you put people on gardening leave if there is no trust, but that isn't the case here i.e. JL and SL trust MA to be professional in his last month to keep things ticking over. He won't be doing whatever he wants and I imagine he'll be operating on more of a consultation position so if we need to ask him something, he's there to answer.

48 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

22 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

The only reason I can see for letting MA leave amicably is the hope that he ‘lures away’ the rest of his cronies and saves us the expense of sacking them.  Otherwise it seems unfathomable why you would allow MA to continue in post in the current situation.

They're all shit so as @BrizzleRed said, saves us getting rid of them. May even get some form of compensation for doing so.

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

I thought he looked like a kid that's been found out for bunking off school - with his dad, facing the headmaster!

2 hours ago, grifty said:

That's not what he said at all though. He said you put people on gardening leave if there is no trust, but that isn't the case here i.e. JL and SL trust MA to be professional in his last month to keep things ticking over. He won't be doing whatever he wants and I imagine he'll be operating on more of a consultation position so if we need to ask him something, he's there to answer.

Ok I changed the words from conflict of interest to trust. Same thing in my book. Wether we want rolls & werhun or not , he’s still influenced them to leave for another club while employed by BCFC . That is a conflict of interest .

12 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Ok I changed the words from conflict of interest to trust. Same thing in my book. Wether we want rolls & werhun or not , he’s still influenced them to leave for another club while employed by BCFC . That is a conflict of interest .

Can you imagine if the CEO of Hargreaves Lansdown resigned to become CEO of a competitor and then started recruiting HL's staff -  does anyone seriously think they would be allowed to stay on for months?      

4 hours ago, grifty said:

Definite conflict of interest.

For me its not a matter of trust, its a matter of business sense.

He is off to a competitor, in the same position as be held/holds with us and therefore I am astounded that he was not put on Garden Leave immediately.

In almost every other walk of life, he would be on Garden Leave with a caveat that he is available to answer business critical queries as and when they occur, in line with his contractual obligations.

The fact that he was not put on Garden Leave straight away suggests his remit has become so all encompassing during his tenure that he holds ultimate say and knowledge over most if not all facets of the club, and we have no choice but to keep him on day-to-day, even if it is in a diluted capacity.

My curiosity also extends to how and when he managed to apply and commit himself to what I assume was a prolonged and thorough sounding out/consultation/recruitment process with Ipswich Town/their investors whilst maintaining his responsibility to Bristol City Football Club.

I am sure that there is a sensible and viable explanation for all of the above.

Incredible.

I thought the interview was good. You can see that he felt the same about being served up the same shit week in week out as a fan and it didn’t give us much to feel positive about during the pandemic.

You could see that he has felt as flat as the rest of us and that there is quite a bit of work that needs to be done and although results on the pitch haven’t been there we have been blighted by injuries and other situations such as a number of players being OOC.

He has belief in Nigel’s experience and is encouraged by being able to tie things up sooner than later by making the appointment permanent. Whatever happens now, at least we are starting to move forward and look forward to next season as a fresh challenge.

I think he summed up the general mood well. I hope he gives Nige the backing that he needs in order to make the changes and is guided by his experience as a manager who has got teams out of this division.

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a little off that MA is still here/working, but you said "One thing I didn’t understand was him saying that MA going on gardening leave didn’t matter as there wasn’t a conflict of interest" but he didn't so seems an odd thing to not understand.

Archived