IGNORED

David Cox

Up in Scotland, Albion Rovers’ player David Cox left his stadium and retired from football at half-time after a Stenhousemuir player abused him over his mental health.

Cox had previously attempted to take his own life, with the Stenhousemuir captain making disgraceful comments about it during the game.

Shocking that things like this happen, with the way the world is about supporting mental health at the moment.

Doesn't surprise me. Although big strides have been made with understanding the mind for people themselves to better understand what might be going on in another, we still have a such a long way to go.

You have to have a pretty low opinion of yourself to stoop to this level, whether it's on the football pitch or any other part of life. IMO, the perpetrator himself is suffering with his own issues, which a lot of the time is the case with abusers.

I'm really surprised at this level of football because all of the players are part timers with other "proper jobs" that keep them much closer to real life rather than the grossly overpaid bubble that full timers in much higher leagues live in.

I can imagine humorous banter but this sort of remark has gone way beyond normal levels of mickey taking. Very sad but hope that the offended player now gets plenty of support from colleagues and opponents.

12 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Serious question because I dont know too much about cricket, but I know a lot of sledging goes on in the game, and it gets very personal, even to the point of insulting family members, but at what point does it stop becoming sledging, and into the realms of what we have here ? Unacceptable in any case.

It's probably different for different people which makes it difficult to judge if you don't know the person involved.

32 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Serious question because I dont know too much about cricket, but I know a lot of sledging goes on in the game, and it gets very personal, even to the point of insulting family members, but at what point does it stop becoming sledging, and into the realms of what we have here ? Unacceptable in any case.

There’s a lot of stuff going on in cricket at the moment in terms of examining it’s relationship with race. I think traditionally that sport thought it didn’t have any issues but there’s an increasing number of players / umpires / administrators now saying that isn’t the case. 

From what I can gather it seems there is more to this incident than meets the eye and that a pretty nasty argument was taking place which, unfortunately, resulted in an extremely nasty, below the belt comment being shouted at Cox (i.e. "should have did the job properly last time") by the Stenhousemuir Captain for which he will get deservedly punished. I'm not sure David Cox behaved like a saint in all this however and was more a victim of the "worst comment made by the two of them".............

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Yes, the Australians are the ones who started this, say some incredibly disgusting things on the pitch, (the rumours on what was said to Bairstow in the Ashes about his Dad’s suicide just beggars belief) then take offence at anything said in return.

But as the sandpaper business shows they will cheat in just about every way to try to win.

53 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

From what I can gather it seems there is more to this incident than meets the eye and that a pretty nasty argument was taking place which, unfortunately, resulted in an extremely nasty, below the belt comment being shouted at Cox (i.e. "should have did the job properly last time") by the Stenhousemuir Captain for which he will get deservedly punished. I'm not sure David Cox behaved like a saint in all this however and was more a victim of the "worst comment made by the two of them".............

My first thoughts are I hope Cox is being looked after by his teammates and friends. Given his previous MH history I would be very concerned about his wellbeing atm. 

There are surely line that shouldn't be crossed. An argument that spiralled, still the bloke should have some awareness FFS. How often over recent years have we seen people take their won lives through things people have said once too often .

26 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yes, the Australians are the ones who started this, say some incredibly disgusting things on the pitch, (the rumours on what was said to Bairstow in the Ashes about his Dad’s suicide just beggars belief) then take offence at anything said in return.

But as the sandpaper business shows they will cheat in just about every way to try to win.

That Aussie Cricket team make me sick. Cheat, get caught, cry , then a few months back from a ban they're scraping a batman's marks. They are always first to cream if they think they've been wronged, yet always first and worst doing it.

28 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The Australian cricket team are the architects of the "line that must not be crossed". However they, and only they, know the boundaries of this line and are also able to move it as and when it suits them.

37 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

While the term 'sledging' is linked to the Aussie cricket teams of the 60s/70s it is dubious they invented it, and is likely as old as cricket itself. Certainly, WG Grace and his brother (EM) were well known for their boisterous teasing of the opposition. 

16 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

While the term 'sledging' is linked to the Aussie cricket teams of the 60s/70s it is dubious they invented it, and is likely as old as cricket itself. Certainly, WG Grace and his brother (EM) were well known for their boisterous teasing of the opposition. 

By “started” I mean making comments about your partner, parents, sexuality, etc.

I’m sure banter has gone on in the middle since year dot, but racist comments & disgusting ones such as those aimed at Bairstow are very much an Australian invention.

Contrast them with the Kiwis, bloody good cricketers but also liked, spot the difference. 

20 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

By “started” I mean making comments about your partner, parents, sexuality, etc.

I’m sure banter has gone on in the middle since year dot, but racist comments & disgusting ones such as those aimed at Bairstow are very much an Australian invention.

Contrast them with the Kiwis, bloody good cricketers but also liked, spot the difference. 

The Aussies have certainly raised the sledging levels and you may be right but not sure its proven. When Raman Subba Row apologised to teammate Fred Trueman that he should have kept his legs shut after letting an edge from an opposition batsman get through him Fred replied 'so should your mother'. Mild by today's standards but not so then and could have been interpreted by some as not only a slur on Raman's parentage but also his ethnicity. 

14 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Never ceases to amaze just how low some are prepared to go in order to gain an advantage in a sporting contest.

Disgusting behaviour from the Stenhousmuir guy which should be met with the strictest censure from the football authorities. 

Not wanting to make light of this horrible incident...

But a great story!

Botham was walking out to bat against Australia and as he walks past Rodney Marsh, Marsh shouts out ‘hey beefy hows your wife n my kids”....Botham replies ‘wife’s fine, kids are retards!”

15 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Up in Scotland, Albion Rovers’ player David Cox left his stadium and retired from football at half-time after a Stenhousemuir player abused him over his mental health.

Cox had previously attempted to take his own life, with the Stenhousemuir captain making disgraceful comments about it during the game.

Shocking that things like this happen, with the way the world is about supporting mental health at the moment.

As an MH sufferer, that's disgusting beyond words. He can no more help having an illness than anyone else. Vile.

Player who made the comments should look forward to a long ban, and I hope the club cancel his contract.

15 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Never ceases to amaze just how low some are prepared to go in order to gain an advantage in a sporting contest.

Disgusting behaviour from the Stenhousmuir guy which should be met with the strictest censure from the football authorities. 

Lifetime ban from all football hopefully 

6 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

No.. There's no excuse for that type of language, and victim blaming someone with MH issues so they should be ashamed is really not the way to go about it either.

I'm not disagreeing with your statement nor making excuses for the Stenhousemuir Captain. He clearly overstepped the mark with his final comment and as I said will get punished, in the current climate of "more understanding of the issues", accordingly I'm sure. All I'm saying is it sounds like the argument was quite a strong one and that this does not sound like a completely unprovoked comment out of nowhere. To repeat, though, he was totally out of order saying what he did.

9 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Lifetime ban from all football hopefully 

I don't think the SFA will stretch that far and you can bet your bottom dollar the player concerned will present "mitigation". However unjust that is believed to be or whether you think excuses are unacceptable they still have to consider those facts. I think the SFA will be under pressure to issue a pretty meaty ban on the player. Stenhousemuir might even sack him depending on the outcome (some would argue they should have done that already) and your lifetime ban might be achieved via the "back door" anyway..................albeit there always seems to be some club who is willing to take a chance on these types of player.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

I don't think the SFA will stretch that far and you can bet your bottom dollar the player concerned will present "mitigation". However unjust that is believed to be or whether you think excuses are unacceptable they still have to consider those facts. I think the SFA will be under pressure to issue a pretty meaty ban on the player. Stenhousemuir might even sack him depending on the outcome (some would argue they should have done that already) and your lifetime ban might be achieved via the "back door" anyway..................albeit there always seems to be some club who is willing to take a chance on these types of player.

Makes me want to puke TBH. I witnessed a guy take his own life and it has had a profound affect on me every waking hour (not for the better to state the obvious). Regrettably I could not get to him soon enough to help. It brings a tear even as I write this. It is not a matter to be taken lightly.

The **** in question needs to be dealt with accordingly. **** him off out of all sport and plaster his name and photo all over the media.

Get him on national TV to try and explain his actions. 

Archived