IGNORED

Torquay United - late goals

Lanterne Rouge

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I was listening to the sports report on Radio Devon this morning and they said that Torquay had gained 24 points this season from goals they scored in the last seven minutes plus injury time of games. A pretty impressive stat IMO - should Fergietime be renamed Garytime?

Same in our promotion and play off final seasons under GJ - huge number of late equalisers / winners

The problem Gary had he needed to rotate players to get to the next level and started to drop down the league because he couldn't find the right combination or when he did in Maynard they shone and got poached.  I think post Johnson era all the way until Steve we had terrible managers that kept bringing in their own players and bloating the squad FML Nicky Hunt and Damian Stewart, Cheers bad Steve Copout.

1 hour ago, RonWalker said:

Remember how weirdly that came back on itself towards the end? Felt like the minute the board went up you might as well give whoever we were playing a goal there and then at times.

I remember one game v sheff Utd under GJ at home when Saborio equalised for us to make it 2.2 in about the 93rd minute and literally straight from the restart they scored to make it 2.3 . Absolute sickener.

dariuz Henderson I think it was. Fontaine at fault but I may be wrong. 

2 hours ago, RonWalker said:

Remember how weirdly that came back on itself towards the end? Felt like the minute the board went up you might as well give whoever we were playing a goal there and then at times.

Christ that was painful, every single game it was expected, and normally happened.

I would’ve only been about 12 at the time, **** knows why I still went to games.

6 hours ago, Banned User said:

Christ that was painful, every single game it was expected, and normally happened.

I would’ve only been about 12 at the time, **** knows why I still went to games.

Normally from a free kick/cross on the right facing the EE which was floated in and they would score from a header is my recollection. I would dread it every time a team got one there as you just knew what was coming.

3 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Just saw torquays run in.

A tough one, but if anybody can get them over the line its him.

They, were a massive price to win that leauge, had it between them and wrexham, on the strength of gj.

Needless to say i backed wrexham.

Going to go to the last day there i reckon.

I didn't realise how far that league was behind the main league; I'd assumed they had a couple of games left like us rather than six including today's.

image.png.06d1abbbc2d6423bf52e0df51a19ac1a.png

I was wondering what the three sections represented.

Per wiki.

1 - Promotion to League 2

2 - Qualify for play-off semi-finals

3 - Qualify for play-off quarter finals

How long are these play-offs going to go on for?  The last fixtures date is Saturday 29 May.

13 hours ago, milo1111 said:

I remember one game v sheff Utd under GJ at home when Saborio equalised for us to make it 2.2 in about the 93rd minute and literally straight from the restart they scored to make it 2.3 . Absolute sickener.

dariuz Henderson I think it was. Fontaine at fault but I may be wrong. 

That's lodged in my head. It was right in front of me as I'd moved down from my Dolman seat so I could make a quick get away on the final whistle.

I was there thinking, "Don't bloody well sing 'Two-Nil and you f****d it up' until the games over". They played it back to a defender from the kick off as all their players headed for the edge of our box. He lumped it up and I guess one of them headed the ball on, there was a pass in the box, then ....

32 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I didn't realise how far that league was behind the main league; I'd assumed they had a couple of games left like us rather than six including today's.

image.png.06d1abbbc2d6423bf52e0df51a19ac1a.png

I was wondering what the three sections represented.

Per wiki.

1 - Promotion to Lea Countygue 2

2 - Qualify for play-off semi-finals

3 - Qualify for play-off quarter finals

How long are these play-offs going to go on for?  The last fixtures date is Saturday 29 May.

Its probably impossible, but, I would love to see both Halifax and Stockport County get promoted.

County and Town have been out of the football league for far too long, two interesting football grounds and clubs with decent history's.

4 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Its probably impossible, but, I would love to see both Halifax and Stockport County get promoted.

County and Town have been out of the football league for far too long, two interesting football grounds and clubs with decent history's.

I want Torquay back up because as far back as I can remember whilst Somerset and Cornwall didn't have any league clubs (I know Yeovil has come up more recently) Devon always had three whcih seemed to make up for it.  Even if they were usually all in Division 4 most of the time.  It seems "wrong" for them to be out of the league.

Second choice, though they would have to do it through the play-offs, would be Notts County: oldest professional club in the world, founder member of the football league.  Wtf are they doing in the Conference in the first place?

Stockport County - league cup semi-finalists in 97 followed by falling off a cliff for two decades.  Their fans have had it tough.

I know nothing about Halifax other than their being a trivia quiz answer for having an "X" in their name.

Archived