IGNORED

Bentley

Oldland2

2 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I like Bents, but he’s probably the player we’re most likely to turn a decent profit on and we have a huge rebuild coming.

And Max is a very able replacement 

22 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I like Bents, but he’s probably the player we’re most likely to turn a decent profit on and we have a huge rebuild coming.

We paid 2.5 I believe,not sure on his contract but no point selling him for 5 million,he’s gone from renting his house up Clifton from 6 months to 1 month that’s all I can say 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

If he does go then I'd bring in a big goalie to compete with Max.

Let's at least have a dominant goalkeeper as an option.

Absolutely.

If there is any truth in this then we need an experienced, dominant keeper as Max’s competition next season.

He is plenty good enough to be part of the squad but there are always lots of decent keepers around & we would need to bring one in.

I don't blame O'Leary for any of today, but I have long thought that he will be nothing more than a number two keeper here.

He has not challenged any number one for the jersey in his time here.

I honestly still can't believe that we let Maenpaa go. Okay, he wouldn't be a solution long term, but he was easily the best number two keeper that I have ever seen at Ashton Gate. And I wouldn't have been unhappy if he had been number one.

If Bentley goes, we need two keepers, preferably ones that can deal with crosses, because Bentley can't, and to be fair to O'Leary, that's the one thing that he does have over him.

We do need a clear out though and, whilst Bentley is a good keeper, if we can get a good fee to provide funds to rebuild and pick up low cost but class act options like Maenpaa for example then that fulfils what Pearson said about having to be smart in the market.

I'd really like to see  Niki Maenpaa brought back on a two year deal if he is fully fit.  Fitness and remaining fit is the issue though.  He is currently in Italy with Venezia and they have an option on him for another year.

Dominates the box, great positioning and a good shot stopper. He makes saves some keepers would turn into acrobatics look very comfortable.  He has a calm assurance that seems to make the back four play with greater confidence. That's not to say we don't need a better back four though as we definitely do.  

9 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I honestly still can't believe that we let Maenpaa go. Okay, he wouldn't be a solution long term, but he was easily the best number two keeper that I have ever seen at Ashton Gate. And I wouldn't have been unhappy if he had been number one.

If Bentley goes, we need two keepers, preferably ones that can deal with crosses, because Bentley can't, and to be fair to O'Leary, that's the one thing that he does have over him.

Last season I’d have agreed with you about Maenpaa, but I’d have been wrong.

He’s 35 now & injury prone, he got injured in his first training session with Stoke & never played.

Towards the end of his time with us he was out injured for ages too.

He is exactly the type we need if Bentley goes, very tall & reliable, there are a fair few out there.

I disagree about Max, he is good enough & certainly worth his place in the squad.

Bentley is better, but he’s our only top six standard player for me, so that’s not a surprise.

10 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

We do need a clear out though and, whilst Bentley is a good keeper, if we can get a good fee to provide funds to rebuild and pick up low cost but class act options like Maenpaa for example then that fulfils what Pearson said about having to be smart in the market.

I'd really like to see  Niki Maenpaa brought back on a two year deal if he is fully fit.  Fitness and remaining fit is the issue though.  He is currently in Italy with Venezia and they have an option on him for another year.

Dominates the box, great positioning and a good shot stopper. He makes saves some keepers would turn into acrobatics look very comfortable.  He has a calm assurance that seems to make the back four play with greater confidence. That's not to say we don't need a better back four though as we definitely do.  

If he could stay fit he wouldn't have been let go, and Bentley may never have been signed in the first place.

6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Doesn’t command his area anywhere near enough imo 

Maybe so but any keeper is only as good as the defence in front of him. We haven't got one of those.

1 minute ago, winsaw said:

I really hope the OP right , time to move Bentley on he's mentally weak as soon as something goes wrong he gives up, I really believe that Max would have been far more reliable this year 

U wot m8?

If you don't rate him for whatever reason, fair enough. But don't just make things up.

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

If he could stay fit he wouldn't have been let go, and Bentley may never have been signed in the first place.

Well, they were hamstring in injures I think.  So, if he has been injury free then, in the absence of Andy Rolls, he should be okay going forwards.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Last season I’d have agreed with you about Maenpaa, but I’d have been wrong.

He’s 35 now & injury prone, he got injured in his first training session with Stoke & never played.

Towards the end of his time with us he was out injured for ages too.

He is exactly the type we need if Bentley goes, very tall & reliable, there are a fair few out there.

I disagree about Max, he is good enough & certainly worth his place in the squad.

Bentley is better, but he’s our only top six standard player for me, so that’s not a surprise.

I actually don't agree about Bentley.

I know that's controversial. He indeed has saved us so many points. But that is through his shot stopping. He's like a deer in the ****ing headlights every time a high ball comes into the box from a wide position. A top six keeper should be able to deal with that.

Bentley isn't all that he's cracked up to be as an all round keeper in my opinion. Yes, he's the best that we have and is easily our player of the season, but that says more about the alternatives between the sticks and the rest of our squad as a whole to be honest.

1 hour ago, Atyeo's Love Child said:

I just want a keeper who can dominate his area, Bentley is a good shot stopper. 

I'd be careful of what you wish for. Our recruitment team will probably replace him with Edward Scissorhands. 

When I posted about Bentley a while back, (Bentley room for improvement) I was quite diplomatic in my opinions of him and O'Leary. I don't think either have the desire, bravery or organisational skills to be a really commanding keeper. Both have good ability at shot stopping and both are comfortable with ball the at their feet. Both have a tendency to react to situations in the box, rather than to make things happen productively by taking responsibility and making the ball theirs. Though I was pleased to see Bentley come out and punch two balls the other day against Luton. 

I was thinking about bravery the other night and it occurred to me that I have rarely seen Bentley receive treatment after going in where it hurts, obviously he has but, has he really been brave enough, I know O'Leary is suspect in this area as well, in my opinion. They used to say you need to be a bit mad to be a GK, well these two are just too nice for my liking.

Just now, JonDolman said:

What goalie do we bring in to replace Bentley?

Joe Lumley out of contract in the summer. Absolutely fabulous goalkeeper ?

I think Pearson has seen that there is the need for improvement in our GK department. Maybe in the Premiership with someone like Southampton, there's more need for the skills Bentley possesses and it would suit him better, rather than the more physically challenging championship.

Archived