IGNORED

Bentley

Oldland2

Just now, Northern Red said:

Slating the player who's almost singlehandedly kept us out of the relegation zone.

This place sometimes, Jesus ******* wept.

Bentley certainly deserves his chance to play at a higher level IMO

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep Southampton have 2 very big centre backs who win everything.

The championship nowadays seem to have many teams now with a number of giants in. It doesn't mean we have to have that too. Like Leeds didn't need a number of giants as they used their fantastic possession based game and organised pressing to dominate teams, meaning less corners to defend against.

But teams are dominating us so we have so many set pieces to deal with, and then we are so weak in dealing with them.

If we had a Tim Krul type goalie then that might make all the difference. 

Sure we were linked with Tim Krul when he didn't have a club? As usual people said he was too old etc but he's been very good at Norwich and far better than ours 

19 minutes ago, Rich said:

I think Pearson has seen that there is the need for improvement in our GK department. Maybe in the Premiership with someone like Southampton, there's more need for the skills Bentley possesses and it would suit him better, rather than the more physically challenging championship.

Debatable- League is changing, more footballing sides are at the top than used to be the case in recent years.

Wolves were a good watch under Nuno, Fulham too- Leeds with Bielsa of course, Norwich with Farke- Wilder had a nice style of play too, Watford since they changed manager have been a fairly dominant 4-3-3...a number of these certainly have the benefit of Parachute Payments- oh and I'm forgetting Brentford. Unsure physique beats technique as much as it once did.

Might also add, it's notable that Brentford sold Bentley and arguably upgraded him in some respects with Raya.

Not thinking we should sell Bentley though.

37 minutes ago, winsaw said:

I really hope the OP right , time to move Bentley on he's mentally weak as soon as something goes wrong he gives up, I really believe that Max would have been far more reliable this year 

Sorry...but disagree massively.  I would like Bentley to stay, why sell a quality keeper, only then to have to spend a large amount to replace him?   If he chooses to go, who could blame him, but i see him as an asset who should be kept if possible.  Max is NOT good enough to replace him week by week..

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I was thinking the other day how many quality players it seems like we nearly signed over the years. Some on loan.

Krul another.

Pope was very close to signing permanently too i think

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/bristol-city-miss-out-another-1821748.amp

Interesting how he says he liked how Norwich didn't mess around getting him signed. Maybe we did? 

11 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Slating the player who's almost singlehandedly kept us out of the relegation zone.

I don't see anybody slating Bentley, I certainly haven't. I just think he could be better and that we need a better keeper. With our defence as it has been, there's been plenty of occasions for him to show off his save making abilities. I'm of the opinion that with a keeper more attune to organising his defence and commanding of the area, he'd have had less need to save as many shots. 

The team being disrupted as it has been due to injuries, hasn't helped lots of players, people are now having a go at Kalas, who must be worn out trying to keep the never ending tide of attacks flowing towards our goal.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Debatable- League is changing, more footballing sides are at the top than used to be the case in recent years.

Wolves were a good watch under Nuno, Fulham too- Leeds with Bielsa of course, Norwich with Farke- Wilder had a nice style of play too, Watford since they changed manager have been a fairly dominant 4-3-3...a number of these certainly have the benefit of Parachute Payments- oh and I'm forgetting Brentford. Unsure physique beats technique as much as it once did.

Might also add, it's notable that Brentford sold Bentley and arguably upgraded him in some respects with Raya.

Not thinking we should sell Bentley though.

I was saying that (maybe) Bentley is more suited to being a keeper in the premiership. You've quoted all good footballing sides in the championship. If we were that good in the championship, we wouldn't have been under the pressure Bentley has of having to deal with so many attacks and attempts on our goal.

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

don't rate O'leary at all I'm afraid.

I’ve got to agree, with all the faults that people are saying about Bentley and they would be glad to see him go. I don’t have any trust in O’Leary, he’s a average GK, League 1 at best. Doesn’t command box and not a great shot stopper. 

1 minute ago, Rich said:

I was saying that (maybe) Bentley is more suited to being a keeper in the premiership. You've quoted all good footballing sides in the championship. If we were that good in the championship, we wouldn't have been under the pressure Bentley has of having to deal with so many attacks and attempts on our goal.

Fair yeah, agreed- we would, might ease the pressure with possession- resting in possession it can be called. Except we don't have much possession either!

It doesn't matter who the manager is, though I think Pearson is the man, we seem to have become a reactive side, yet a reactive side who ship goals- the worst of all worlds! I do wonder what philosophy Pearson will look to set us up with- more footballing, or counterattack based?

21 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I despair I really do. I know we’ve had a poor end to the season but barring a ropey game against Bournemouth, he’s had a really good season. Best goalie we’ve had since Basso, possibly even better than him. 

And yet people still find a way to criticise him. People would genuinely be happy to see our player of the season (by miles) leave!

Cant get my head round it. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fair yeah, agreed- we would, might ease the pressure with possession- resting in possession it can be called. Except we don't have much possession either!

It doesn't matter who the manager is, though I think Pearson is the man, we seem to have become a reactive side, yet a reactive side who ship goals- the worst of all worlds! I do wonder what philosophy Pearson will look to set us up with- more footballing, or counterattack based?

I hope not counter attacking, which is possibly easier to achieve, soak it up and hit on the break or set pieces. We've had four years of stay in the game until the 60th minute, then try and sneak a goal. I think that's how the squad has been assembled prior to Holden altering it by letting Elliason go, If it was him and bringing in the slower but good footballer like Martin.

7 minutes ago, Dunc said:

Without the points Bentley won us, particularly first half of the season, we could very well be heading to league one. Much like Tom Heaton, underrated and undervalued by City fans 

Exactly.  Some people just don’t get it for one reason or another. Usually people that don’t appreciate defensive work and think football’s the same in real life as it is on a PlayStation, from my experience.  

Bentley is the best player we currently have and is one of the top 5-10 keepers in the Championship. 

O’Leary is a good number 2. If he wants to be a number 1, it should never ever be ahead of Bentley. Good back up yes, ahead of Bentley, 100% not. 

We have 2 good keepers. 1 is top end League 1, the other is top end Championship. 

But Bentley is the clear number 1, by a long distance. 

Might get shot for this but I have zero problem with cashing in on Bentley. Performances at the start of the season were exceptional but dropped off like everyone else as the seasons gone on. 
He’s a salable asset, we need funds to rebuild the squad, and I think we could get a good replacement on a free or on loan ala Henderson or Johnstone

He alone has perhaps rescued us on more than a few occasions Forest away a prime example. His performance got us a win. 
However every player has a price.  If that price is met then so be it…. That’s the way of the world at our level. MAX is decent for sure, but a championship no1 ? 

I must be in a tiny minority of people that actually rate O Leary. I watched a lot of the games when he had a run in the team and genuinely thought he looked like a very good keeper.

Attributes to improve on of course, but with a full pre season under his belt I think we could see the best from him if Bentley does leave - and if that’s the only player we can really sell to generate some funds I wouldn’t be particularly worried.

2 hours ago, Atyeo's Love Child said:

I just want a keeper who can dominate his area, Bentley is a good shot stopper. 

Such a strange “compliment” for a keeper, it’s the bare minimum of their job. It’s like saying an outfield player is a good ball kicker

Don’t mind selling Bentley. Someone said earlier we paid 2.5m for him. I wouldn’t even care too much about profit though I’d like it. 2.5m might go a bit further this summer and you don’t have to buy 5-6 million players for every position. How much did Barnsley spend on Helik, Dike and Brittain? One is a loan and the other two under a million combined. 3 starters on a playoff side. 

Max I would use as number 1 next season. It is the next step in his development. Concerns about dominating the penalty area are valid but he can’t get better if he does not play. He is steady with the ball at his feet and an excellent shot stopper. I don’t think we will be quite ready for a playoff push next season even if we get everything right in the summer. So let Max deputise and see how much more he can develop. 

The key then would be to sign an older experienced player to be second choice. Not the easiest sell but so many keepers around and so few starting spots. Nyland at Norwich. Ruddy at Wolves. Think Bialkowski at Millwall is ooc too. Have a go at one of them and they can battle it out with Max. 

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Such a strange “compliment” for a keeper, it’s the bare minimum of their job. It’s like saying an outfield player is a good ball kicker

You are right, maybe could have said just a good shot stopper, but his distribution is also good. He is just not good at coming out for the ball.

Pickford is the same IMO, obviously not an easy task for us to find somebody who can do all three. 

But if we can get a decent fee for DB hopefully NP can get us one.

Archived