IGNORED

Bentley

Oldland2

13 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Might get shot for this but I have zero problem with cashing in on Bentley. Performances at the start of the season were exceptional but dropped off like everyone else as the seasons gone on. 
He’s a salable asset, we need funds to rebuild the squad, and I think we could get a good replacement on a free or on loan ala Henderson or Johnstone

You won't get shot from me, I think Bentley is vastly overrated. 

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Don’t mind selling Bentley. Someone said earlier we paid 2.5m for him. I wouldn’t even care too much about profit though I’d like it. 2.5m might go a bit further this summer and you don’t have to buy 5-6 million players for every position. How much did Barnsley spend on Helik, Dike and Brittain? One is a loan and the other two under a million combined. 3 starters on a playoff side. 

Max I would use as number 1 next season. It is the next step in his development. Concerns about dominating the penalty area are valid but he can’t get better if he does not play. He is steady with the ball at his feet and an excellent shot stopper. I don’t think we will be quite ready for a playoff push next season even if we get everything right in the summer. So let Max deputise and see how much more he can develop. 

The key then would be to sign an older experienced player to be second choice. Not the easiest sell but so many keepers around and so few starting spots. Nyland at Norwich. Ruddy at Wolves. Think Bialkowski at Millwall is ooc too. Have a go at one of them and they can battle it out with Max. 

Nigel did seem quite chummy with Bialkowski.

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Sorry...but disagree massively.  I would like Bentley to stay, why sell a quality keeper, only then to have to spend a large amount to replace him?   If he chooses to go, who could blame him, but i see him as an asset who should be kept if possible.  Max is NOT good enough to replace him week by week..

Bentley's leaving ,,,100%...

Get used to the idea now.

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

All good if you are replacing him with better which we won’t be,you can’t just sell your better players and hope to replace them surely 

I rated Niki Mäenpää just as good, if not better (in some cases) than Bentley, and he was a free transfer.

To be honest, I voted Bentley as player of the year, but if we had a cash him in to strengthen other areas I would.

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Doesn’t command his area anywhere near enough imo 

Alternately Bentley is even worse at it imo. 

When Max comes he usually tends to claim. Bentley tend to punch more and we've seen him fluff his lines just as much. 

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Should we just start Rene Gillmartin last game for a laugh

Depends how many points we’d get deducted for fielding an unregistered player! ?

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah thinking back to Joe Williams signing, he said it took a very long time to happen

Yes, our CEO (should be ex-CEO) isn’t quite as good as he’d have you make out.  Not the only transfer last summer that almost fell through because MA wasn’t decisive.

29 minutes ago, beaverface said:

I rated Niki Mäenpää just as good, if not better (in some cases) than Bentley, and he was a free transfer.

To be honest, I voted Bentley as player of the year, but if we had a cash him in to strengthen other areas I would.

Is max as good then the answer is no let’s be honest,fully understand what you are saying but we won’t be getting 10-15 million for him it will be 5-6 million and we will be selling one of our best players and you can’t strengthen much with that money 

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Is max as good then the answer is no let’s be honest,fully understand what you are saying but we won’t be getting 10-15 million for him it will be 5-6 million and we will be selling one of our best players and you can’t strengthen much with that money 

One things for sure, we won’t get caught out again like we did with the lazy bastard up front.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Back to Bentley, anyone noticed that since Xmas (maybe longer) he’s got deeper and deeper receiving back passes, often back-pedalling....and then doesn’t get his foot around the ball, and slices a lot?

I have mate,having never been a keeper I wouldn’t know why that is but I’m guessing it’s in his mind that we are always under constant pressure and it’s taking it’s toll on him and he’s lost confidence 

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

One things for sure, we won’t get caught out again like we did with the lazy bastard up front.

Wells is under contract still I think isn’t he 

13 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I'll agree, Max Oleary isn't as good as Bentley. I still maintain if we cash in Bents for 5 or 6 million, we can either get an out of contract keeper who's better than Oleary or pay 1 or 2million for a very good keeper from lower leagues. 

19 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Alternately Bentley is even worse at it imo. 

When Max comes he usually tends to claim. Bentley tend to punch more and we've seen him fluff his lines just as much. 

I agree Bentley could be better but Max looks like a little kid in there . He’s really not very big for a keeper. Another great bit of recruitment was getting rid of Nikki . He was the calmest keeper in commanding his area ive seen since Tom Heaton 

9 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I agree Bentley could be better but Max looks like a little kid in there . He’s really not very big for a keeper. Another great bit of recruitment was getting rid of Nikki . He was the calmest keeper in commanding his area ive seen since Tom Heaton 

I really rated Maenpaa, so gutting he picked up injuries.

We need a good big ‘un!  He was that.

12 minutes ago, beaverface said:

I'll agree, Max Oleary isn't as good as Bentley. I still maintain if we cash in Bents for 5 or 6 million, we can either get an out of contract keeper who's better than Oleary or pay 1 or 2million for a very good keeper from lower leagues. 

Out of contract keepers who are good are impossible to find I would of thought and if you want to fork out 1-2 million on a unproven keeper at this level then it’s a major risk,just to raise let’s say 4 million 

If we can get.5 or 6 million plus add ons I would take this. That amount of money will go a long way in this summer’s transfer market. Given the extent of the rebuilding job we require we’ll need every penny we can get. Bentley is a great keeper no doubt about it, but I think that the 3 or 4 players we could sign with his fee would make a bigger impact next season and gain us more points than Bents alone would win for us if he stayed. Bents is perfect premier league material because his main weakness (not dominating his area) is less of an issue there where most teams don’t play direct to a ‘big man’ or lump speculative balls into the area! His shot stopping and ability in ‘one on ones’ is a real asset at that level.

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Don’t mind selling Bentley. Someone said earlier we paid 2.5m for him. I wouldn’t even care too much about profit though I’d like it. 2.5m might go a bit further this summer and you don’t have to buy 5-6 million players for every position. How much did Barnsley spend on Helik, Dike and Brittain? One is a loan and the other two under a million combined. 3 starters on a playoff side. 

Max I would use as number 1 next season. It is the next step in his development. Concerns about dominating the penalty area are valid but he can’t get better if he does not play. He is steady with the ball at his feet and an excellent shot stopper. I don’t think we will be quite ready for a playoff push next season even if we get everything right in the summer. So let Max deputise and see how much more he can develop. 

The key then would be to sign an older experienced player to be second choice. Not the easiest sell but so many keepers around and so few starting spots. Nyland at Norwich. Ruddy at Wolves. Think Bialkowski at Millwall is ooc too. Have a go at one of them and they can battle it out with Max. 

On today’s showing I’m more concerned about Max being able to dominate his 6 yard box first. For what it’s worth I like Max. He has similar qualities to Bentley, just less good. Really surprised at how many of our fans are looking for us to downgrade quality for a few quid. 

The main rationale I can see for us to cash in on Bentley is he’s suited to a possession based team that wants to play on the front foot. It’s a legitimate view that his skills won’t be best utilized during a rebuild with backs against the wall, but then I’d rather rebuild with a top end keeper with excellent distribution if we have aspirations of hanging onto the ball.

3 hours ago, Superjack said:

I don't blame O'Leary for any of today, but I have long thought that he will be nothing more than a number two keeper here.

He has not challenged any number one for the jersey in his time here.

I honestly still can't believe that we let Maenpaa go. Okay, he wouldn't be a solution long term, but he was easily the best number two keeper that I have ever seen at Ashton Gate. And I wouldn't have been unhappy if he had been number one.

If Bentley goes, we need two keepers, preferably ones that can deal with crosses, because Bentley can't, and to be fair to O'Leary, that's the one thing that he does have over him.

Agreed, Maenpaa was a joy to watch, and thought he was under rated here. Obviously his injuries didn't help, but still think he would've been great to keep on. 

3 hours ago, Atyeo's Love Child said:

I just want a keeper who can dominate his area, Bentley is a good shot stopper. 

The problem is, the back up keeper is O’Leary who will never be dominant at Championship level. If Bentley is sold, how much will it cost to get a better keeper? I guess it would be more than the fee received for Bentley unless there is a good out of contract keeper available. Considering Pearson needs to sign half a team of outfield players, just to avoid relegation, money for a new keeper may be tight so which good keepers are available on a free?

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Such a strange “compliment” for a keeper, it’s the bare minimum of their job. It’s like saying an outfield player is a good ball kicker

Good point..unfortunately we seem to be lacking in outfield players that are good ball kickers ?

4 minutes ago, Dunc said:

On today’s showing I’m more concerned about Max being able to dominate his 6 yard box first. For what it’s worth I like Max. He has similar qualities to Bentley, just less good. Really surprised at how many of our fans are looking for us to downgrade quality for a few quid. 

The main rationale I can see for us to cash in on Bentley is he’s suited to a possession based team that wants to play on the front foot. It’s a legitimate view that his skills won’t be best utilized during a rebuild with backs against the wall, but then I’d rather rebuild with a top end keeper with excellent distribution if we have aspirations of hanging onto the ball.

I’d just to see if Max can grow into that role is all. No point in him staying here as number 2 either really. He has enough football left in him to try his luck somewhere he can start. Tbf to him, I have seen him play at a higher level than he would have shown today. He hasn’t played for months and I would find that hard to come into a game like today. When he got his 15 or so starts a few seasons ago he seemed able for this league. 

The thing with Bentley is we’d need to have a team ready for him next season. What I mean is, will we have a team in place to get the best from him? Because another season means another year off the contract. Then would we be in a position where he’d want to sign a new deal? Idk so many variables is why I’d lean towards selling if there is legitimate interest. So many holes in this squad, I’d rather fix 10 positions then have one of the best in a position that can’t help too much(GK). 

Sorry if already been said but why would Southampton want Bentley when the have McCarthy and Forster as backup? He is good but only as good as those two I would say. Surely a goalie’s career like his you would be wanting to move knowing you are going to be first choice? 

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

Bentley's leaving ,,,100%...

Get used to the idea now.

Must be great to be so well informed...not so sure i want to get used to the idea though...........if that's ok with you of course'?

I’d be surprised if his head hasn’t been turned yet to be honest, I’m sure his agent will have been in his ear aswell saying he could do better and in all fairness he would be correct..

Unless Pearson can sell him the project here then no doubt he will be off - if this is the case then then we get the most amount of dolla we can and we go again, it is what it is unfortunately.

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I have mate,having never been a keeper I wouldn’t know why that is but I’m guessing it’s in his mind that we are always under constant pressure and it’s taking it’s toll on him and he’s lost confidence 

Wells is under contract still I think isn’t he 

Fam isn’t and we’ve lost £5m on him.

Archived