IGNORED

Bentley

Oldland2

4 hours ago, winsaw said:

I really hope the OP right , time to move Bentley on he's mentally weak as soon as something goes wrong he gives up, I really believe that Max would have been far more reliable this year 

Agree hes very iffy on crosses panics on the goal line when crosses come near him from corners .

I am shocked how many are saying that DP is not all that. He has been head and shoulders the most consistent and important player this season. Yes, he has weaknesses, but his positives massively outweigh his negatives. Max may turn into a decent GK, but he is a risk, and one we do not need to make. The best keeper we have had sine AB.

25 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

What is that New Zealand goalie doing these days? Markovic or something. Sign him up.

He’s the most horrendous, fumbling excuse for a keeper I think I’ve ever seen in a City shirt .........  so great shout, he would be a perfect match for this shower of shite!

13 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

We haven’t tho have we,he’s scored pretty much 1 in 3 games while he has been here so that is good for a £5 million striker in a shit side,because he’s going for nothing isn’t his fault 

What? My original point was that we would not be letting Bentley go for **** all like we have Fam. He will be sold before his contract runs down unless he signs a new one. What has it got to do with not being Fam’s fault?

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

What? My original point was that we would not be letting Bentley go for **** all like we have Fam. He will be sold before his contract runs down unless he signs a new one. What has it got to do with not being Fam’s fault?

You said we have lost 5 million which we haven’t,just like Bentleys contract we wouldn’t have lost 2.5 mill if he goes on a free

3 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

You said we have lost 5 million which we haven’t,just like Bentleys contract we wouldn’t have lost 2.5 mill if he goes on a free

Look, do you think it’s good business to buy someone for £5m and get nothing for him when he leaves? It’s really simple to grasp tbh.

3 hours ago, Rich said:

I don't see anybody slating Bentley, I certainly haven't. I just think he could be better and that we need a better keeper. With our defence as it has been, there's been plenty of occasions for him to show off his save making abilities. I'm of the opinion that with a keeper more attune to organising his defence and commanding of the area, he'd have had less need to save as many shots. 

The team being disrupted as it has been due to injuries, hasn't helped lots of players, people are now having a go at Kalas, who must be worn out trying to keep the never ending tide of attacks flowing towards our goal.

I agree with all of this, and I  have noticed that many opposition teams are aware of his weakness in commanding the area, and have been targetting corners and free kicks to stick the ball just under the bar.  This is the precise area where DB should be claiming the ball, but rarely does, resulting in totoal chaos. Before a corner is taken you will always see a shot of him, arms stretched upwards and outwards, the kick gets taken into the 6 yard box, and Bents is nowhere, resulting in total chaos, often with Fam heading off the line or Kalas having to block on the line due to the ensuing panic.  The best result is that Bents makes a wonder save, which he would not have need to make if he had done his job properly in the 1st place, or the ref awards a free kick as per the disallowed "goal" that Luton got in the early stages last Saturday.  He basically gets bullied, and his confidence in this aspect of his game has just drained away.

He is a great shot stopper and, if body language is anything to go by, he seems to hurt more than most of the players when things go wrong.  But I think he has been rumbled by most championship managers, I really can't see him going to a Prem team unless as cover, no more than a million pound player for me.

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Don’t mind selling Bentley. Someone said earlier we paid 2.5m for him. I wouldn’t even care too much about profit though I’d like it. 2.5m might go a bit further this summer and you don’t have to buy 5-6 million players for every position. How much did Barnsley spend on Helik, Dike and Brittain? One is a loan and the other two under a million combined. 3 starters on a playoff side. 

Max I would use as number 1 next season. It is the next step in his development. Concerns about dominating the penalty area are valid but he can’t get better if he does not play. He is steady with the ball at his feet and an excellent shot stopper. I don’t think we will be quite ready for a playoff push next season even if we get everything right in the summer. So let Max deputise and see how much more he can develop. 

The key then would be to sign an older experienced player to be second choice. Not the easiest sell but so many keepers around and so few starting spots. Nyland at Norwich. Ruddy at Wolves. Think Bialkowski at Millwall is ooc too. Have a go at one of them and they can battle it out with Max. 

Couldn’t agree more. Get an experienced keeper in and if Max makes a mistake or needs to be taken out of the firing line for a couple of games then we’ve got solid back up. 

I can’t imagine that an older keeper (Prem number 2/3 or abroad) would cost much or even a loan deal, but I really think Max deserves his real shot this season.

If WBA keep Johnstone and we sell Bentley I'd like for us to got for Alex Palmer at WBA, on loan at Lincoln currently. 24. Wouldn't cost the earth, could compete with Max.

1 hour ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Sell Bentley, sign Angus Gunn (from Southampton). 

They paid £10m, it ain't happening.

More likely they could lose Forster, I think Ralph is signing McCarthy to an extension. From social media it does seem Gunn is nowhere near the first team - so will see, but reckon wages in this climate would scupper that.

All depends on how much the bid is for. It's not a straight "would you sell or wouldn't you.

Not sure how much we value DB at, especially in this climate, but if it was a bid of less than £5m then I wouldn't accept it!

As for his strengths and weaknesses, he sort of reminds me of when De Gea arrived at United. 

The likelihood of Bentley leaving is very high, he’s had a good season personally but City have been a disaster. Why on earth would he stay?

Max O Leary isn’t ready to be no 1 keeper, if that’s the case we might as well write off next season too.

We should be looking at signing the next Bentley with Max as a competent no 2.

Some people on this thread are ******* hilarious, we would be relegated this season if not for Bentley and yet people come up with the most outrageous reasons to get rid of him. I am surprised no one has said that his problem is that he doesn't score enough goals.

I appreciate it's been a rough season and that many players have under performed, but there are too many people wanting to throw the baby out with the bath water.

It's the same with Kalas going from Captain Fantastic to suddenly becoming the worst centre half we have ever had. The pair of them must be completely shot mentally from holding this team together, and when you consider how the seasons were messed up by Covid, it must feel like they have played 2 seasons back to back.

I don't doubt that there will be clubs in for Bentley, and I wouldn't blame him for going to somewhere where he might be better appreciated.

For his critics on here, try asking yourself why better placed clubs than us are interested.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Some people on this thread are ******* hilarious, we would be relegated this season if not for Bentley and yet people come up with the most outrageous reasons to get rid of him. I am surprised no one has said that his problem is that he doesn't score enough goals.

I appreciate it's been a rough season and that many players have under performed, but there are too many people wanting to throw the baby out with the bath water.

It's the same with Kalas going from Captain Fantastic to suddenly becoming the worst centre half we have ever had. The pair of them must be completely shot mentally from holding this team together, and when you consider how the seasons were messed up by Covid, it must feel like they have played 2 seasons back to back.

I don't doubt that there will be clubs in for Bentley, and I wouldn't blame him for going to somewhere where he might be better appreciated.

For his critics on here, try asking yourself why better placed clubs than us are interested.

Yep, Bentley gonna be a pretty near unanimous POTY you’d think.  Got some weaknesses, but he’s performed really well this season.

Kalas has had a decent season, if not hitting the heights we’d expect.  I think most criticism is if him as a captain, not his general play.

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

In answer to your last question, perhaps people see the attributes Bentley has and believe he would suit their style of play, perhaps they have bigger faster centre backs than us and he'd be used as a sweeper with them playing a higher line. Other clubs/managers might not be good judges of keepers, Fergie signed various keepers which nearly all failed, until he found Schmiechel.

As you well know, there's a lot more to being a goal keeper than just making saves. You can't say he's a good keeper if he only makes great saves. There's been plenty of times when if he'd have cut out the cross (and there was time) then there'd have been no save to make, good goalkeeping. I believe that his responsibility is in organising and informing the defenders in front of him, after all he's got the whole field of view unfolding in front of him. He knows when a forward has dropped off his marker and can see the run of a midfielder, it's at those times he should be informing teamates

My main criticism of him is that I don't think he commands the area in front of him as well as he could. It results in our centre backs dropping deeper at set pieces. If he was more dominant by telling them to hold a line further up the pitch and let him deal with the balls closer to goal, then I think we might have been better defensively, bearing in mind we don't have commanding centre backs.

Horses for courses, some players suit a certain style of play and others don't. I refer back to Cashley and Shaw. Cashley was by far the better saver of shots but, Shaw organised his defence and commanded the area better, resulting in less shots to save.

19 hours ago, Superjack said:

I don't blame O'Leary for any of today, but I have long thought that he will be nothing more than a number two keeper here.

He has not challenged any number one for the jersey in his time here.

I honestly still can't believe that we let Maenpaa go. Okay, he wouldn't be a solution long term, but he was easily the best number two keeper that I have ever seen at Ashton Gate. And I wouldn't have been unhappy if he had been number one.

If Bentley goes, we need two keepers, preferably ones that can deal with crosses, because Bentley can't, and to be fair to O'Leary, that's the one thing that he does have over him.

Maenpaa was a fantastic keeper, bad decision to let him leave. 

We should have offered him a good enough deal to make him stay.

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Take the captaincy off Kalas and I think he starts hitting his straps again. He’s not a natural leader and I think this gets amplified in a poor side.

4 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Maenpaa was a fantastic keeper, bad decision to let him leave. 

We should have offered him a good enough deal to make him stay.

My impression was that they didn't offer him a deal, at least not publicly.

Sorry if this has been said before... Bentley is a fantastic shot stopper but does not command his box or come off his line to be dominant in the air. We have defended crosses shambolically all season and a lot of the blame for that has to put on Bentley for not organising those around him. Someone pointed out recently (on one of the podcasts) how easily he gets bullied on his line at corners. Personally wouldn't be too sad to see him go.

23 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

My impression was that they didn't offer him a deal, at least not publicly.

He even had to announce himself that he’d left.  There was a tweet saying “unemployed” several days before club confirmed it.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He even had to announce himself that he’d left.  There was a tweet saying “unemployed” several days before club confirmed it.

Well if Ashton and his cronies left Korey Smith to announce his own departure they weren't going to do it for anyone else. 

It does make me laugh that everyone's criticism of Bentley or O'Leary is that they don't command their area. It's almost a stock standard statement to try and sound intelligent. If we had anything resembling a half decent defence then surely that would aid our deficiencies. Their job is surely to protect the same said area. DB has done a great job considering the crap he's playing behind. Max when needed has done the same. There are 10 players in our team who have performed well below par rather than our keepers. Perhaps some of these 10 need to command their own territory on the pitch also.

2 hours ago, glynriley said:

Well if Ashton and his cronies left Korey Smith to announce his own departure they weren't going to do it for anyone else. 

Absolutely shocking wasn't it. Reprehensible even. Love to see KS get promoted just to underline the FU to the treatment he got.

6 hours ago, BigTone said:

It does make me laugh that everyone's criticism of Bentley or O'Leary is that they don't command their area. It's almost a stock standard statement to try and sound intelligent. If we had anything resembling a half decent defence then surely that would aid our deficiencies. Their job is surely to protect the same said area. DB has done a great job considering the crap he's playing behind. Max when needed has done the same. There are 10 players in our team who have performed well below par rather than our keepers. Perhaps some of these 10 need to command their own territory on the pitch also.

I think they're all guilty of underperforming, from the strikers that can't keep the ball, to the defenders that lose their man at set pieces, to the midfielders that can't support the attack or defence, or the full backs that can't stop crosses raining in. Everyone is open to criticism, De Hay De Ooh might have scored more goals had there been chances put on a plate for him, it wouldn't mean he'd played well, just done his job in that aspect of his game. Bentley had the opportunity to do what he does best, which is to make good saves whether reaction or from longer shots, he did his job in that respect, doesn't mean to say he did the rest of his job well.

All I've ever said is that if Bentley was a bit better at commanding his area, then perhaps the defenders wouldn't have had to drop so deep, which causes confusion in and around the goal. That isn't trying to sound intelligent, it's discussing the situation. You could say that just focusing on Bentleys saving ability is ignoring other aspects of the art of being a goal keeper. If you've read my posts, you'd see that I'm trying to be constructive, as opposed to just having a pop at the man.

19 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Take the captaincy off Kalas and I think he starts hitting his straps again. He’s not a natural leader and I think this gets amplified in a poor side.

I think Pearson will have his eye on bringing in natural leaders, hopefully anyway because I can’t think of one player that is a anywhere near a better choice than Kalas even though I completely agree with you. Says it all tbh.

On 02/05/2021 at 00:26, Fuber said:

If WBA keep Johnstone and we sell Bentley I'd like for us to got for Alex Palmer at WBA, on loan at Lincoln currently. 24. Wouldn't cost the earth, could compete with Max.

They paid £10m, it ain't happening.

More likely they could lose Forster, I think Ralph is signing McCarthy to an extension. From social media it does seem Gunn is nowhere near the first team - so will see, but reckon wages in this climate would scupper that.

Don’t know anything about Palmer, would be a good shout though if he is a decent keeper. I’m sure Southampton would want to loan him to a championship club unless they have first team plans for him. How did he do at Lincoln from what you know and/or have seen?

2 hours ago, YCbrs said:

Don’t know anything about Palmer, would be a good shout though if he is a decent keeper. I’m sure Southampton would want to loan him to a championship club unless they have first team plans for him. How did he do at Lincoln from what you know and/or have seen?

They all but want him back another year (Lincoln Fans), done very well this year, good shot stopper. He's a WBA player however, not So'ton. Issue will be if WBA sell Johnstone, their other two keepers are Button and Lonergan, who both will defo not be first choice in the Championship Imo.

Loves a penalty save, also.

18 hours ago, Rich said:

I think they're all guilty of underperforming, from the strikers that can't keep the ball, to the defenders that lose their man at set pieces, to the midfielders that can't support the attack or defence, or the full backs that can't stop crosses raining in. Everyone is open to criticism, De Hay De Ooh might have scored more goals had there been chances put on a plate for him, it wouldn't mean he'd played well, just done his job in that aspect of his game. Bentley had the opportunity to do what he does best, which is to make good saves whether reaction or from longer shots, he did his job in that respect, doesn't mean to say he did the rest of his job well.

All I've ever said is that if Bentley was a bit better at commanding his area, then perhaps the defenders wouldn't have had to drop so deep, which causes confusion in and around the goal. That isn't trying to sound intelligent, it's discussing the situation. You could say that just focusing on Bentleys saving ability is ignoring other aspects of the art of being a goal keeper. If you've read my posts, you'd see that I'm trying to be constructive, as opposed to just having a pop at the man.

The defenders drop deep because the team gets compact v crosses v pressing the cross and being high. Its madness to not work the cross then ignore basic defending principles and also stay high. 

19 hours ago, Rich said:

The keeper commanding his area isn't going to make one iota of a difference if defenders have to drop deep to deal with a situation caused normally by deficiencies further up the pitch. It is a team game. Its a no win situation for them. "He came off his line too early" or "he didn't come off his line" and so on. The term "commanding his area (or box)" makes it sound like he should be prowling every extremity when the obvious conclusion is that he cannot and neither would it make any sense. A keepers job is very simply to be the last man to try and prevent anyone scoring whilst relying on his defence to protect him from such a situation. If a keeper is constantly under pressure then this is a deficiency of the rest of the team and not himself.

Archived