IGNORED

Pearson Post Match

al3xrh0des

So glad we finally have someone who simply has the attitude of "you're with us 100% or you're out"

Have needed that for so long. I think I am far more excited for the first announcements of released players than I am for the last game of the season.

8 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

So we are no longer fit, we were gone of the fittest teams in the league at one stage , months now to put this right but we are not fit 

well... we obviously weren't one of the fittest teams in the league in the opinion of Nigel Pearson. An opinion I'd trust more than that of the bunch of rookies that have held sway at our club for the past few years.

Chickens coming home to roost. 

Not fit enough, so coaches, S&C out this summer, plus a lot of players. Easy releasing those without contracts this summer. His problem will be those who are under contract and he what's them out of the club. So come to an agreement to come to a settlement or get them out on loan for the remainder of their contract. I have total faith in Nigel, this is going to be the most exciting close season ever.

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

well... we obviously weren't one of the fittest teams in the league in the opinion of Nigel Pearson. An opinion I'd trust more than that of the bunch of rookies that have held sway at our club for the past few years.

We looked pretty fit in the games I watched, chasing the ball, beating Man Utd and matching Man City 

Spoke quite well and honestly, in all fairness though if I had a quid for every time a new manager said his new squad don't look fit enough I would be a very rich man. How much of what he is seeing is fitness and how much is the can't be arsed attitude at the moment is probably impossible to differentiate.

I switched off for the season a few weeks ago now so not seen much of the recent games thankfully, just hoping Pearson is able to start piecing our club back together this summer.

42 minutes ago, Pezo said:

As the resident stato and only from a statistical perspective who would you keep, who would you bin and who would be borderline for you Dave? 

Sorry if you have covered it elsewhere. 

Not sure it’s a statistical view.

Of the OOC players I would literally only offer two players a deal.

- Weimann (exercise his option)

- Walsh (if you genuinely feel he is good enough, then give him a 3 year deal.  He’s 23, the right age to progress)

Of the contracted players, I’d look to move on the following:

- Moore

- Palmer (not sure that’ll be easy)

Then assuming the players whose contract end in 2022, then extend them this summer if you genuinely want them to stay.  Do not let them run down:

- O’Dowda

- Bakinson (has a year option, but sort his future out this summer)

Nit sure what will happen to the likes of Morton and Janneh 

I know you can’t recruit in the order you want, have to do it however it comes about....but I’d make CB and RB my priority....two of each.  Think we have enough up front to have several options.  Midfield we have numbers.  Plus a keeper.

Plus we might get bids for players we wanted to keep, e.g. Bentley, Nagy if he does well in the Euros, etc.

I’d be happy to start the summer recruitment drive with:

GK: Bentley, O’Leary (+1) (Robertson, Wiles-Richards)

RB: (+2)

LB: Dasilva, Pring, Nurse (Soady)

CB: Vyner, Kalas, Cundy (+2) (Towler, Low)

MF: Nagy, Williams, Bakinson, Massengo, O’Dowda, Walsh (Scott)

CF: Semenyo, Wells, Weimann, Martin (Conway, Bell, Britton)

I might let one of the young strikers out on loan.

So I want 5 as a minimum, 4 outfield, and one keeper, in case Bentley goes late in window).

And then I train / coach them into what I want.

23 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

We looked pretty fit in the games I watched, chasing the ball, beating Man Utd and matching Man City 

Nigel Pearson was talking about the current squad.

EDIT: and the current squad isn't a patch on the one we sold! 

As a few others have said, I found the comment re fitness interesting. I do wonder if Pearson had a big say in Rolls leaving. At the Pearson appointment press conference earlier in the week, I think a question was asked about Rolls and Jon Lansdown asked ‘Was that to me?’ which did make me wonder at the time whether that was Lansdown’s way of saying Pearson made the decision. 

25 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I think it’s been clear for a while we aren’t fit to sustain any form of press without the ball or pressure in possession.

2 hours ago, Superjack said:

Wouldn't be surprised.

I know Pearson has told us not to expect a massive overhaul, but I think that may just be managing expectations. I get the impression that he is aware that it is necessary.

Not sure. 17 may well leave but would be surprised if half that number arrived. In the interview after he was appointed, Pearson said he'd prefer a smaller squad. 

Having only read his post match comments on the BBC website, I'm still convinced he's the one who knows what it takes in this division and the rest of us - owner and players especially - need to get with the programme. 

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think it’s been clear for a while we aren’t fit to sustain any form of press without the ball or pressure in possession.

I haven’t listened yet but am wondering if he means mentally fit as much as physically fit? Having interest and desire must add a few percentage points to your game. For quite a while most senior players have looked like they don’t want to be here. He can’t motivate those who don’t want to be motivated.

2 hours ago, Superjack said:

I was actually less impressed with that. I think he is fed up with saying the same things week after week because he knows he can't change it yet.

Get you’re thought , trouble is he’s just regurgitating until he can actually change things . Even Barton’s positive spin on the kids he stopped short . He’s bored of talking , he wants action imo. 
the fact he’s going on sound of the city on Monday is a big indicator . 
I don’t think he’ll name names but with one game to go I think it’ll be a shot across the bows to the club 

50 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

28 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Ahem............that was 3 and a half years ago! ?

It has been a long season to be fair....

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure if its fitness or just poor coaching.

Massengo triggers a press several times a game but he's own his own which renders it useless.

The teams, in their various formations and various personnel, look poorly coached in all areas to me and I'm not sure who is to blame for that.

The players ? Well, some obviously have downed tools and others are bang out of form or confidence.

The staff ? I'd really not like to think that, but after so many games to get a half decent performance from the players, I'm not discounting it.

50/50 for me at this time.

1 hour ago, DT The Optimist said:

Sort of interview gives me hope…thought I heard he’s with twentystone on sound of the city Monday night.

The summer recess will be a great watch…. Hopefully calling in his contacts 

Yes but the time he takes to spit it out he will only be making two statements ??

39 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Not sure. 17 may well leave but would be surprised if half that number arrived. In the interview after he was appointed, Pearson said he'd prefer a smaller squad. 

Having only read his post match comments on the BBC website, I'm still convinced he's the one who knows what it takes in this division and the rest of us - owner and players especially - need to get with the programme. 

Agree, I doubt it will be more than 6 that come in.

He made it clear when joining permanently this week that he would be looking to make more of what is already here, which to me means Dasilva, Williams, O’Dowda & Martin who are all under contract for next season. If he retains Weimann & arguably 1 or 2 others (for me only Simpson, Lansbury & Walsh are even possibles) then he has a basis to work from.

He also made a comment about needing to be smart in the transfer market, which could be in trying to sell those he doesn’t want or by a major sale, (realistically probably only Bentley unless we can get more than I’d expect for Semenyo).

16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Agree, I doubt it will be more than 6 that come in.

He made it clear when joining permanently this week that he would be looking to make more of what is already here, which to me means Dasilva, Williams, O’Dowda & Martin who are all under contract for next season. If he retains Weimann & arguably 1 or 2 others (for me only Simpson, Lansbury & Walsh are even possibles) then he has a basis to work from.

He also made a comment about needing to be smart in the transfer market, which could be in trying to sell those he doesn’t want or by a major sale, (realistically probably only Bentley unless we can get more than I’d expect for Semenyo).

I'd keep Bentley, irrespective of offers. Enough of this selling the family silver nonsense (O'Leary not good enough).  But I would sell Wells. Or just tell him to f!ck off and not come back. 

No chance would I keep Lansbury. 

Do we really want to be building a team on the basis that Dasilva, Williams and O'Dowda will be available for the majority of games next season? Despite our Head of Performance leaving, I still think that's highly unlikely.

Pearson certainly has one hell of a job on his hands.

I'm not expecting miracles next season - right now, just staying up looks like success, never mind the long term hi-falutin goals. 

Today's result was dog sh!t. 

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Not fit enough, so coaches, S&C out this summer, plus a lot of players. Easy releasing those without contracts this summer. His problem will be those who are under contract and he what's them out of the club. So come to an agreement to come to a settlement or get them out on loan for the remainder of their contract. I have total faith in Nigel, this is going to be the most exciting close season ever.

That is a very bold statement.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure it’s a statistical view.

Of the OOC players I would literally only offer two players a deal.

- Weimann (exercise his option)

- Walsh (if you genuinely feel he is good enough, then give him a 3 year deal.  He’s 23, the right age to progress)

Of the contracted players, I’d look to move on the following:

- Moore

- Palmer (not sure that’ll be easy)

Then assuming the players whose contract end in 2022, then extend them this summer if you genuinely want them to stay.  Do not let them run down:

- O’Dowda

- Bakinson (has a year option, but sort his future out this summer)

Nit sure what will happen to the likes of Morton and Janneh 

I know you can’t recruit in the order you want, have to do it however it comes about....but I’d make CB and RB my priority....two of each.  Think we have enough up front to have several options.  Midfield we have numbers.  Plus a keeper.

Plus we might get bids for players we wanted to keep, e.g. Bentley, Nagy if he does well in the Euros, etc.

I’d be happy to start the summer recruitment drive with:

GK: Bentley, O’Leary (+1) (Robertson, Wiles-Richards)

RB: (+2)

LB: Dasilva, Pring, Nurse (Soady)

CB: Vyner, Kalas, Cundy (+2) (Towler, Low)

MF: Nagy, Williams, Bakinson, Massengo, O’Dowda, Walsh (Scott)

CF: Semenyo, Wells, Weimann, Martin (Conway, Bell, Britton)

I might let one of the young strikers out on loan.

So I want 5 as a minimum, 4 outfield, and one keeper, in case Bentley goes late in window).

And then I train / coach them into what I want.

We will be significantly underpowered up front. A proper striker is required but it may admittedly have to wait.

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I'd keep Bentley, irrespective of offers. Enough of this selling the family silver nonsense (O'Leary not good enough).  But I would sell Wells. Or just tell him to f!ck off and not come back. 

No chance would I keep Lansbury. 

Do we really want to be building a team on the basis that Dasilva, Williams and O'Dowda will be available for the majority of games next season? Despite our Head of Performance leaving, I still think that's highly unlikely.

Pearson certainly has one hell of a job on his hands.

I'm not expecting miracles next season - right now, just staying up looks like success, never mind the long term hi-falutin goals. 

Today's result was dog sh!t. 

It was, but hardly a surprise.

We lost to Wycombe recently & are bottom of the form table, we look a disinterested mess, with only youngsters like Massengo & Conway looking bothered.

I think Pearson’s general point is firstly we cannot plan on running a side that averages 7 players out per match & secondly he has to make use of what he has, so those 4 definitely come into the equation.

You know my view, I would release every single player that is out of contract bar Weimann, but I don’t think that will happen.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I haven’t listened yet but am wondering if he means mentally fit as much as physically fit? Having interest and desire must add a few percentage points to your game. For quite a while most senior players have looked like they don’t want to be here. He can’t motivate those who don’t want to be motivated.

I’m pretty sure he meant physical fitness.

Wow just wow!

I like to think I'm good at judging people, maybe not always bang on, but more times right than wrong IMO.

That interview tells me all I need to know about how much trouble we are in, and as we all know if we'd lost our first 4 games we'd be in League 1 next season.

I've been looking at old press releases, old interviews, old Watford/Leicester forum threads, and a lot more over the last week or so, and we are in very good hands.

Nige want's players that will run through brick walls for him for fun, players that want to play football because they love playing football, people that enjoy their job. To be good at football but not enjoy it never ever crossed my mind when I was younger, but there are players all over the world that have admitted that it's just a job to them, pick up the money, not worried about the fans, just want the easy money.

Forget the results, forget why Nige can't motivate them, this appointment is a master stroke and if he's given some time, and financial backing, we could just get to the promised land.

Just now, JonDolman said:

I would like to know more about what Nige means in the fitness of players.

Hopefully Gregor can ask him about that in the week.

My take is they either lack strength or are not doing the right work and this is a cause of injuries and/or injuries taking far longer to heal than you might hope they would.

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I would like to know more about what Nige means in the fitness of players.

Hopefully Gregor can ask him about that in the week.

Ahhhh, I now get the context of the earlier post by RedM (I think) ⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

My take is they either lack strength or are not doing the right work and this is a cause of injuries and/or injuries taking far longer to heal than you might hope they would.

Yes, I think he’s basically saying combination of poor fitness work / preparation, and poor application to get to the right levels.

From the rumours it appears that Watkins was one of the players that NP has seen through.

Its usually an easy comment for the new manager to come in and say - “the players aren’t fit enough” - whilst they work out the true probs.  Nige has resorted to that, perhaps he was sussing out Rolls and keeping his powder dry.  Rolls has now left.

Archived