IGNORED

Pearson Post Match

al3xrh0des

Such a strange feeling watching this interview. You get used to managers' reactions after a loss. There's a limited range of things to say and a limited number of different ways to say them. But there's something new here. He's on a terrible run and you'd expect him to be under pressure but he's not.

He's got a win rate of 15% and has just been given a new 3 year contract. Has that ever happened anywhere before?! 

It's a really difficult situation with so many out of contract and injured players, none of his own staff and a decayed and collapsing senior management team. So I understand the logic to the appointment. The club needs SOMETHING to be fixed and stable - a base to build from. And he's got the track record from elsewhere to suggest he can do it.

But it makes for a really unusual feel to the interview.

2 minutes ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

Such a strange feeling watching this interview. You get used to managers' reactions after a loss. There's a limited range of things to say and a limited number of different ways to say them. But there's something new here. He's on a terrible run and you'd expect him to be under pressure but he's not.

He's got a win rate of 15% and has just been given a new 3 year contract. Has that ever happened anywhere before?! 

It's a really difficult situation with so many out of contract and injured players, none of his own staff and a decayed and collapsing senior management team. So I understand the logic to the appointment. The club needs SOMETHING to be fixed and stable - a base to build from. And he's got the track record from elsewhere to suggest he can do it.

But it makes for a really unusual feel to the interview.

I think everyone has been waiting for the season to end from about 10 games out, and NP appears to be no different. Strange times indeed, but the great big reset button needs pressing, and if not by Nige, then who?! And if not this summer, then when?! 

32 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

There is clearly going to be a lot of change , that was going to happen with or without Pearson. But the scale of change needed is quite startling . How we avoided relegation is the miracle of the season, we are the worst side in the league by some distance in 2021. 

Interesting few weeks/months coming up. NP has a lot of pressure already to create some semblance of a football team in time for August. We have seen some rubbish over the decades, but the last 4/5 months has to one of the worst capitulations witnessed. 

It is though a moment of opportunity. 

I've been thinking that for a while now, perhaps we might owe DH a bit more than we'd like to admit for the early wins in the season start.

14 minutes ago, bpexile said:

I've been thinking that for a while now, perhaps we might owe DH a bit more than we'd like to admit for the early wins in the season start.

I kind of agree and I’ve seen a few posts on Twitter tonight actually thanking DH for those wins 

However, was he part of the problem with LJ and Ashton? 

13 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

I kind of agree and I’ve seen a few posts on Twitter tonight actually thanking DH for those wins 

However, was he part of the problem with LJ and Ashton? 

His only guilt was being under LJ and naive enough to accept getting thrown into the deep end by Ashton.

Hope he does well at Stoke.

Our problems lie deeper than those that are leaving and more the fact that we have no leaders. If these 14 plus going are replaced by 3/4 determined/focused then we will move forwards, as a squad is only ever going to move in the direction of the ones driving them. This is where we have failed to progress.

5 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I must have seen a different interview than everyone else, as every excuse under the sun was thrown out, from fitness to players to everything else and a begrudging I'm responsible, but that means dick. 

Evidence is not really on his side for us and I suspect he will be under pressure if there's another thrashing next week. 

Sometimes managers and clubs dont work out and I thought the whole I've risked 3 years to join but my body language screamed regret was very telling. 

It's not working currently and I cant see him lasting long if this continues as we've ve not won since Feb and we're now in May

We are going to need to see a dramatic change in fortunes right from the off next season

I don't think Pearson has ever had such an important transfer window 

I must have seen a different interview than everyone else, as every excuse under the sun was thrown out, from fitness to players to everything else and a begrudging I'm responsible, but that means dick. 

Evidence is not really on his side for us and I suspect he will be under pressure if there's another thrashing next week. 

Sometimes managers and clubs dont work out and I thought the whole I've risked 3 years to join but my body language screamed regret was very telling. 

It's not working currently and I cant see him lasting long if this continues as we've ve not won since Feb and we're now in May

I know you don’t like the appointment but what excuses did you think you heard? He’s just said what the majority of us can see, he has a msssive task ahead of him just to keep us up next season. I didn’t see any excuses at all just an honest reflection of where we are, you will see next week what he really thinks of this group of players. 

Think we may be lucky with the fact that a lot more players will be available than normal in the summer. Also we seem to be in a much better financial position than a lot of clubs so should be able to use that to our advantage. 

Really hope he’s follows through with the threat to bomb out all players that haven’t shown the commitment.

I still can’t fathom how bad this team have become, the defensive players in the starting line up are all experienced at this level & must cost in region of 60-85k per week total.

Happy to see all players leave with exception of the promising youngsters. I’d happily cash in on Bentley (while in form) & Senenyo (won’t miss his goals) too if that meant additional funds for rebuilding.

Players that have had long injury spells can’t be relied upon either so we’ll need improvements/competition for places.

More importantly I’d really like to see what NP’s team looks like, recruitment, coaching etc.

The assistant coaches will also need to be replaced, the players are obvious ones to move but Simpson & Downing should also carry the can for this season.

The England youth link doesn’t seem to bear any fruit so beyond that what are they bringing? 

Day to day the coaching team are a huge influence over the playing squad.

I want to believe that Pearson can turn this club around but right now I'm not so sure, even with so many out of contract he doesn't have a lot to work with and so much to build.

My personal opinion is that Kalas needs to stay but needs a leader of a CB next to him. Kalas has shown he can be influential and has the ability but I still feel he's what I call a "second CB" and the best example I can think of is when Man Utd had Pallister and Bruce, both were good CB's but without Pallister by his side Bruce was piss poor, Pallister wasn't necessarily the better of the two players but he led the back line and because he was so good at leading Bruce appeared to play far far better with him. This is what Kalas is missing IMO, a player to keep him in check and to give him some confidence if he's underperforming, the second Kalas' head goes down that back line suffers because no-one else will lead.

There is a lot of talk of getting rid of Wells but for me this is just another case of blaming the wrong player, just look at the stats of out games:
Millwall - 4 shots, Luton - 10 shots, Wycombe - 9 shots, Sheff Weds - 5 shots, Nottingham Forest - 6 shots. This may seem like a lot at a glance but if you look at the opponents shots against us in the same games (M - 20, L - 14, W - 23, SW - 20, NF - 16) we've been massively ineffective in creating chances, even more so we've been awful at creating good chances. I've said it so many times, Wells has the ability to score a lot of goals at this level, the issue is we have no players who compliment what he does, Wells makes runs and gets in dangerous situations off of attacking passes and therein lays our issue, no-one is playing those passes, we're one dimensional going forward, and we have nothing when going through the middle. Brownhill was massively underrated here by many of our fans but this is what he brought, he would go forward at defences and play passes through the middle rather than going to the side or trying to play a fast counter attack that the opposition already knows is our only go to. I think if Pearson can keep Wells and sign the right man to play behind him who will play forward passing balls through the middle you'll see a completely different player, especially if we stop playing him with players out of position going forward.

All in all we still have some players we can get as lot out of who are currently being slated and all they need are the right signings around them. Personally I'd be looking to the youth to build the squad around going forward, allow Massengo to play the role he's best suited to and bring in players around him to support him, Kalas should be in a back 2 with a leading CB, we shouldn't be playing 5-3-2/3-5-2, that's a formation for a team with dynamic wing backs which are very hard to come by, get back to a back 4, Kalas, leading CB, Dasilva at left back with a left sided midfielder who can rotate with him to give us that dangerous left sided attack and  a whole new right side. Either Joe Williams , if he can stay fit, or a new bigger, stronger ball winning midfielder in the middle too, hell we need at least two ball winning midfielders in a squad so that is a must.

Pearson has so much to do, not only does he need to build a new squad, he needs to help fix the injury issues by changing backroom staff, he needs to instil confidence back into the players who are still here come next season as well as create a team atmosphere with the new players who come in. I think turning this club into what it needs to be will be a three season job minimum project, probably why Pearson has been given a three year contract and I think next season will still be a part of the rebuilding process with many ups and downs.

I’m not completely sold on NP but we are such a basket case of a club I’d rather give this a shot with Pearson as he’s at least got a decent track record, a network of contacts & an idea of how to build a team.

Just don’t trust the Lansdowns right now to make good decisions re BCFC they are seem to be distracted, so NP is our best shot.

We had our moment of peak appeal after the Cup run to replace LJ but didn’t, then beginning of this season we had the chance to appoint an experienced head but didn’t.

So right now I’m prepared to get behind Pearson & interested to see what experienced pair of hands could do with the set up & resources bestowed on LJ & DH.

The good thing about this situation is that NP and SL must have had a good chin wag and presumably SL must have signed up to NP’s vision of what needs to be done. Otherwise he wouldn’t have given him a 3 year contract.

So going forwards there shouldn’t be any “You want what Nige? Sorry that doesn’t fit into my plan” from SL.

9 hours ago, RedM said:

I haven’t listened yet but am wondering if he means mentally fit as much as physically fit? Having interest and desire must add a few percentage points to your game. For quite a while most senior players have looked like they don’t want to be here. He can’t motivate those who don’t want to be motivated.

He did mention it, I’m sure. He talked a lot about robustness, that our players aren’t robust enough, I’m sure he said mentally and physically).

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure it’s a statistical view.

Of the OOC players I would literally only offer two players a deal.

- Weimann (exercise his option)

- Walsh (if you genuinely feel he is good enough, then give him a 3 year deal.  He’s 23, the right age to progress)

Of the contracted players, I’d look to move on the following:

- Moore

- Palmer (not sure that’ll be easy)

Then assuming the players whose contract end in 2022, then extend them this summer if you genuinely want them to stay.  Do not let them run down:

- O’Dowda

- Bakinson (has a year option, but sort his future out this summer)

Nit sure what will happen to the likes of Morton and Janneh 

I know you can’t recruit in the order you want, have to do it however it comes about....but I’d make CB and RB my priority....two of each.  Think we have enough up front to have several options.  Midfield we have numbers.  Plus a keeper.

Plus we might get bids for players we wanted to keep, e.g. Bentley, Nagy if he does well in the Euros, etc.

I’d be happy to start the summer recruitment drive with:

GK: Bentley, O’Leary (+1) (Robertson, Wiles-Richards)

RB: (+2)

LB: Dasilva, Pring, Nurse (Soady)

CB: Vyner, Kalas, Cundy (+2) (Towler, Low)

MF: Nagy, Williams, Bakinson, Massengo, O’Dowda, Walsh (Scott)

CF: Semenyo, Wells, Weimann, Martin (Conway, Bell, Britton)

I might let one of the young strikers out on loan.

So I want 5 as a minimum, 4 outfield, and one keeper, in case Bentley goes late in window).

And then I train / coach them into what I want.

Agree with most of your thoughts.

But I would like NP to give Taylor Moore a season as I like his attitude and he is not afraid to lead and speak his mind. We need more with his attitude, although, I guess like you, have doubts about his playing quality.

Also, unless NP can really work miracles, I've seen more improvement in a few weeks from Scott, Sam Pearson, Conway and the other "kids" than in four years from O'Dowda.

@Davefevs

7 hours ago, bpexile said:

@bpexile

DH isn't the "Bogeyman". They are MA and all his relatives and mates in " jobs for the lads" and LJ for collecting players like golf clubs.

‘Lack of fitness’ is probably the most damning indictment of this whole debacle of a season. For that to happen on anyone’s watch is inexcusable. It is not a problem that can have appeared overnight. We were told that Dean was the players choice and we see now what happens when players get their way. The blame clearly goes way beyond just Dean though. It is in the culture that exists within the club where a smooth talking salesman has had too much control. Simpson and Downing didn’t want the gig when Holden went, Kalas was broken in that emotional interview, and the man really at the helm (MA) jumped ship when he realised that there was no way to avoid the massive iceberg we were about to hit.

How we has ever avoided relegation is probably down to luck more than judgement but that is the only saving grace. Had that happened we would probably have been many years in the wastelands of League One and beyond. As it is we have a chance to rebuild and cut off the waste with so many out of contract. Again that’s down to luck. I have confidence that NP will now have the opportunity to make sure that it will be football people rather than BS spouting salesmen who run things again and whoever comes in to help him with that will be as telling as the players arriving and departing in the next few months.

8 hours ago, billywedlock said:

There is clearly going to be a lot of change , that was going to happen with or without Pearson. But the scale of change needed is quite startling . How we avoided relegation is the miracle of the season, we are the worst side in the league by some distance in 2021. 

Interesting few weeks/months coming up. NP has a lot of pressure already to create some semblance of a football team in time for August. We have seen some rubbish over the decades, but the last 4/5 months has to one of the worst capitulations witnessed. 

It is though a moment of opportunity. 

Agreed but the worry is, as @Harrysaid the other day, we have nobody currently associated with the club who’s out there speaking to players’ agents. Those conversations don’t just start when the window reopens, sadly. Most deals need to be done, ideally, before the start of pre-season. For the type of rebuild required, we’re already behind the eight-ball if that’s true (and I have no reason to doubt it). 

56 minutes ago, Spike said:

There is a lot of talk of getting rid of Wells but for me this is just another case of blaming the wrong player,

A great post by Spike and so true in my eyes as well.  In respect of NW you have to ask yourself why he has been so decent everywhere else he has been, and a good history,  but here at BCFC he is perceived by the fan base as useless, get rid etc etc.  The way we have played you could have the best forwards in the world  in our side, and they would not get a sniff... NW no different.  Get us 'playing' and we have a decent 20 goal a season striker.  

NW is going no where, being under contract, unless a bid comes in..

19 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

A great post by Spike and so true in my eyes as well.  In respect of NW you have to ask yourself why he has been so decent everywhere else he has been, and a good history,  but here at BCFC he is perceived by the fan base as useless, get rid etc etc.  The way we have played you could have the best forwards in the world  in our side, and they would not get a sniff... NW no different.  Get us 'playing' and we have a decent 20 goal a season striker.  

NW is going no where, being under contract, unless a bid comes in..

He’s never been a 20 goal a season striker. His numbers are very similar to Fam.

All I can say is we needed this run and these performances. Desperately.

We had to move back, to move forwards.

Those who were honest with themselves could see through the consistent pattern of winning runs, followed by a series of losses. The lack of dominance of virtually any match for years, the 7/10 performances by players, followed by a series of 3/10’s, the consistent lack of ability to beat physically strong, hard working teams.....The writing has been on the wall for 3 seasons and more. 

We were fakes. 

Fortunately, this run has occurred at the right time. We are going to escape relegation, just. We are, however, by far the worst football ‘team’ in this division. For those supporters who were naive enough to suggest relegation was not a threat 6/3 even 2 months ago, there was a need to wake up and smell the coffee. We are cr@p, and have been for ages. 

NP may well be our saviour or he could crash and burn, who knows? The good news is he has seen through the froth and quickly. Has he got what it takes to rebuild us? No guarantees, but if the team take on the character of the manager - as they usually do - then it’ll be a good start. 

43 minutes ago, RedRock said:

NP may well be our saviour or he could crash and burn, who knows? The good news is he has seen through the froth and quickly. Has he got what it takes to rebuild us? No guarantees, but if the team take on the character of the manager - as they usually do - then it’ll be a good start. 

I agree with all you say Red Rock. My worry was due to the dire results there would be a knee jerk reaction and look elsewhere.  Thankfully that has not happened.  NP has been here for 3 odd months, he knows the playing staff and can identify exactly what and where.  A new man would have been another blank canvas.  I suspect NP will be rather busy on his summer holiday(s).

It is now so important to rapidly get in a DOF or new CEO to work with NP...  

Archived