IGNORED

Pearson Post Match

al3xrh0des

3 hours ago, Spike said:

I want to believe that Pearson can turn this club around but right now I'm not so sure, even with so many out of contract he doesn't have a lot to work with and so much to build.

My personal opinion is that Kalas needs to stay but needs a leader of a CB next to him. Kalas has shown he can be influential and has the ability but I still feel he's what I call a "second CB" and the best example I can think of is when Man Utd had Pallister and Bruce, both were good CB's but without Pallister by his side Bruce was piss poor, Pallister wasn't necessarily the better of the two players but he led the back line and because he was so good at leading Bruce appeared to play far far better with him. This is what Kalas is missing IMO, a player to keep him in check and to give him some confidence if he's underperforming, the second Kalas' head goes down that back line suffers because no-one else will lead.

There is a lot of talk of getting rid of Wells but for me this is just another case of blaming the wrong player, just look at the stats of out games:
Millwall - 4 shots, Luton - 10 shots, Wycombe - 9 shots, Sheff Weds - 5 shots, Nottingham Forest - 6 shots. This may seem like a lot at a glance but if you look at the opponents shots against us in the same games (M - 20, L - 14, W - 23, SW - 20, NF - 16) we've been massively ineffective in creating chances, even more so we've been awful at creating good chances. I've said it so many times, Wells has the ability to score a lot of goals at this level, the issue is we have no players who compliment what he does, Wells makes runs and gets in dangerous situations off of attacking passes and therein lays our issue, no-one is playing those passes, we're one dimensional going forward, and we have nothing when going through the middle. Brownhill was massively underrated here by many of our fans but this is what he brought, he would go forward at defences and play passes through the middle rather than going to the side or trying to play a fast counter attack that the opposition already knows is our only go to. I think if Pearson can keep Wells and sign the right man to play behind him who will play forward passing balls through the middle you'll see a completely different player, especially if we stop playing him with players out of position going forward.

All in all we still have some players we can get as lot out of who are currently being slated and all they need are the right signings around them. Personally I'd be looking to the youth to build the squad around going forward, allow Massengo to play the role he's best suited to and bring in players around him to support him, Kalas should be in a back 2 with a leading CB, we shouldn't be playing 5-3-2/3-5-2, that's a formation for a team with dynamic wing backs which are very hard to come by, get back to a back 4, Kalas, leading CB, Dasilva at left back with a left sided midfielder who can rotate with him to give us that dangerous left sided attack and  a whole new right side. Either Joe Williams , if he can stay fit, or a new bigger, stronger ball winning midfielder in the middle too, hell we need at least two ball winning midfielders in a squad so that is a must.

Pearson has so much to do, not only does he need to build a new squad, he needs to help fix the injury issues by changing backroom staff, he needs to instil confidence back into the players who are still here come next season as well as create a team atmosphere with the new players who come in. I think turning this club into what it needs to be will be a three season job minimum project, probably why Pearson has been given a three year contract and I think next season will still be a part of the rebuilding process with many ups and downs.

Great post Spike ??????

2 hours ago, tin said:

Agreed but the worry is, as @Harrysaid the other day, we have nobody currently associated with the club who’s out there speaking to players’ agents. Those conversations don’t just start when the window reopens, sadly. Most deals need to be done, ideally, before the start of pre-season. For the type of rebuild required, we’re already behind the eight-ball if that’s true (and I have no reason to doubt it). 

I’m hoping Tinnion has stepped up.  But it is a worry.

9 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I must have seen a different interview than everyone else, as every excuse under the sun was thrown out, from fitness to players to everything else and a begrudging I'm responsible, but that means dick. 

Evidence is not really on his side for us and I suspect he will be under pressure if there's another thrashing next week. 

Sometimes managers and clubs dont work out and I thought the whole I've risked 3 years to join but my body language screamed regret was very telling. 

It's not working currently and I cant see him lasting long if this continues as we've ve not won since Feb and we're now in May

I’m putting you on ignore...

Can’t take your litter posts any longer.

1 minute ago, billywedlock said:

There is undoubtedly a lot of work going on. It is not a case of "oh I got the job" . That would certainly have formed part of discussions last weekend with Mr L

Though we might need a double decker on May 10 th to take the excess baggage away. Sounds like a few have already been told to move on. 

For me it’s that NP is usually pretty hands-off on recruitment....so he needs to have someone beavering away on his behalf....and for it not to just be data / video analysts.  I hope Tinnion is working his nuts off.

I hope he’s tapped into Steve Walsh’s knowledge too.

Who knows, he might already have his “network” on the case.

14 hours ago, YGBjammy said:

So glad we finally have someone who simply has the attitude of "you're with us 100% or you're out"

Have needed that for so long. I think I am far more excited for the first announcements of released players than I am for the last game of the season.

TBF you can only say that when we have this number of players OOC.  

12 hours ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

Such a strange feeling watching this interview. You get used to managers' reactions after a loss. There's a limited range of things to say and a limited number of different ways to say them. But there's something new here. He's on a terrible run and you'd expect him to be under pressure but he's not.

He's got a win rate of 15% and has just been given a new 3 year contract. Has that ever happened anywhere before?! 

It's a really difficult situation with so many out of contract and injured players, none of his own staff and a decayed and collapsing senior management team. So I understand the logic to the appointment. The club needs SOMETHING to be fixed and stable - a base to build from. And he's got the track record from elsewhere to suggest he can do it.

But it makes for a really unusual feel to the interview.

Yes a difficult situation but also IMO a brilliant opportunity for NP, for the following reasons.....

1 we are so poor and although improving things will be process, immediate ‘quick wins’ will be reasonably straightforward for him to achieve

2 he knows he has the backing of a loyal board and the major share holder 

3 the OoC players makes a clear out inevitable and much easier

4 he has a wide network (players and staff) that he knows he can depend upon and who know what he expects

5 those he retains will know they are wanted by him and part of the new future

6 younger players will, I expect, be enthused by the prospect of learning from his experience / approach 

7 in many ways he actually has a great platform from which to employ his principles and methods 

8 attracting new blood both on and off the pitch should be boosted by his presence / vision and by our facilities and ambition 

I’m very excited to evidence how he goes about it and to witness and support ‘the journey’.

Interesting that one or two demand that Pearson takes responsibility yet when he says I’m responsible he’s only begrudgingly saying it.......

I would expect the body language of anyone managing a car crash and admitting responsibility for it despite being unable to prevent it in the immediate term to be somewhat awkward. I would also suggest that a manager of lesser experience would probably be in a right flap by now. You’ve only got to look across the river where you have a younger manager in a fairly identical situation “dealing with it” by refusing to accept it’s his relegation and now setting outlandish and unrealistic targets in an effort to take the heat off.

13 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Interesting that one or two demand that Pearson takes responsibility yet when he says I’m responsible he’s only begrudgingly saying it.......

I would expect the body language of anyone managing a car crash and admitting responsibility for it despite being unable to prevent it in the immediate term to be somewhat awkward. I would also suggest that a manager of lesser experience would probably be in a right flap by now. You’ve only got to look across the river where you have a younger manager in a fairly identical situation “dealing with it” by refusing to accept it’s his relegation and now setting outlandish and unrealistic targets in an effort to take the heat off.

I sense NP is in control, he’s clear what needs to be done.  He’s also very respectful, not once has he criticised DH or LJ, in fact he’s given them some praise.  He’s taken ownership, not deferred press conference to KD or PS.

He hasn’t called out any players individually, even if he has dropped Fam, he’s using injury to avoid throwing him under the bus.

He’s been respectful to the fans, by not raising expectations too high re recruitment.

Again, listening to Ian on BBCRB, who’s taking every word from the club at literal, and then putting his own twist on it, NP and JL aren’t gonna say they are having a clear out.  There are dynamics inside the dressing room that need to be watched carefully.  Nor are they saying they are going for lots of signings or marquee signings.  They are managing expectations, whilst I’m sure deep down they are looking to exceed them.  They need to ensure they don’t undermine the players that will be here next season, even if that is because they can’t offload them, NP’s comment re working with what he has.  Two games to go (when announced) is not the time to go into rant mode to the fans, just to make them appeased.  NP will want to do that through the summer with who he recruits, who he moves on....and how his team then perform on the pitch.

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure it’s a statistical view.

Of the OOC players I would literally only offer two players a deal.

- Weimann (exercise his option)

- Walsh (if you genuinely feel he is good enough, then give him a 3 year deal.  He’s 23, the right age to progress)

Of the contracted players, I’d look to move on the following:

- Moore

- Palmer (not sure that’ll be easy)

Then assuming the players whose contract end in 2022, then extend them this summer if you genuinely want them to stay.  Do not let them run down:

- O’Dowda

- Bakinson (has a year option, but sort his future out this summer)

Nit sure what will happen to the likes of Morton and Janneh 

I know you can’t recruit in the order you want, have to do it however it comes about....but I’d make CB and RB my priority....two of each.  Think we have enough up front to have several options.  Midfield we have numbers.  Plus a keeper.

Plus we might get bids for players we wanted to keep, e.g. Bentley, Nagy if he does well in the Euros, etc.

I’d be happy to start the summer recruitment drive with:

GK: Bentley, O’Leary (+1) (Robertson, Wiles-Richards)

RB: (+2)

LB: Dasilva, Pring, Nurse (Soady)

CB: Vyner, Kalas, Cundy (+2) (Towler, Low)

MF: Nagy, Williams, Bakinson, Massengo, O’Dowda, Walsh (Scott)

CF: Semenyo, Wells, Weimann, Martin (Conway, Bell, Britton)

I might let one of the young strikers out on loan.

So I want 5 as a minimum, 4 outfield, and one keeper, in case Bentley goes late in window).

And then I train / coach them into what I want.

I'm fairly aligned with your thinking Fevs. 

Recruitment-wise I think that 1 RB and 1 CB will have to be high quality players. We can't afford to get that recruitment wrong (even of they are loans).

How would you react if Semenyo and Bentley leave?

And do you think we can manage without a robust physical DCM? And do we have enough goals in that team? 

I think you might have more faith in Wells than me (I'm not convinced by the 'play to his strengths, got goals in him' claims, but who knows...).

At the moment we seem to have three 1 in 3 forwards and then three young bucks unproven at this level (Conway en route!)

Would appreciate your thoughts...

15 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Not sure if its fitness or just poor coaching.

Massengo triggers a press several times a game but he's own his own which renders it useless.

The teams, in their various formations and various personnel, look poorly coached in all areas to me and I'm not sure who is to blame for that.

The players ? Well, some obviously have downed tools and others are bang out of form or confidence.

The staff ? I'd really not like to think that, but after so many games to get a half decent performance from the players, I'm not discounting it.

50/50 for me at this time.

Imagine Weimann, Massengo and Conway all pressing together!

20 minutes ago, mozo said:

I'm fairly aligned with your thinking Fevs. 

Recruitment-wise I think that 1 RB and 1 CB will have to be high quality players. We can't afford to get that recruitment wrong (even of they are loans).

Yep, the most important signings for me.  The rest of the squad, if fit, is okay....some may disagree! ?

How would you react if Semenyo and Bentley leave?

Semenyo.  I like him, he’s raw, he’s young and will improve.  But most of my evaluation is about his performance for City....and I think he can be a good player for us.  Do I see him as an Eze, making progress in the Prem?  Not really, so you make any money you can on him, when you can.  I know they are different players, but Conway especially really excites me.  I saw some highlights of his time at Bath, and loved how he got across his man in the 6 yard box - he can finish.  But in just two games I’ve seen the intelligence of his all-round game.  I’m not saying he’s our next £10m player, but I sense he’s gotta really good chance of being a good player with us.

Bentley.  I’d rather keep because by the time you wipe out him current asset value, give Brentford their 15-20% profit, you’re probably not giving yourself as much of a recruitment kitty as you think.  I’d try and extend his contract and ask him to give us another season and see what he thinks then.  Max is the kind of keeper you want as a no2, he’s done fine when needed, but I’d want better as my no1 if DB left.

And do you think we can manage without a robust physical DCM? And do we have enough goals in that team?

Williams is the legs and tackler in there.  So it’s not a priority.  But if the right one is available, then of course.  Sometimes you recruit where you don’t need to, purely because a better player can be brought in.  Re goals, I’m a believer in keeping them out at the other end is just as important!

I think you might have more faith in Wells than me (I'm not convinced by the 'play to his strengths, got goals in him' claims, but who knows...).

I just think it’s not a priority.  Who knows NP might look to move him on, in which case we then need someone. I think certain positions are a case of one out, then one in.

At the moment we seem to have three 1 in 3 forwards and then three young bucks unproven at this level (Conway en route!)

Would appreciate your thoughts...

Imagine Weimann, Massengo and Conway all pressing together!

Yep, and we did ok playing one striker, an 18 year old, on his own in 16/17.  If Conway and Bell were good enough next season (bit soon imho), but imagine having Tommy press you for 65 minutes, then Bell do the same....with Weimann, Massengo and Williams snapping around the midfield.  Re Massengo, in hindsight I think he might be more effective for us as a conventional CM, not a DM, nor a no10...at this stage of his development.

13 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I must have seen a different interview than everyone else, as every excuse under the sun was thrown out, from fitness to players to everything else and a begrudging I'm responsible, but that means dick. 

Evidence is not really on his side for us and I suspect he will be under pressure if there's another thrashing next week. 

Sometimes managers and clubs dont work out and I thought the whole I've risked 3 years to join but my body language screamed regret was very telling. 

It's not working currently and I cant see him lasting long if this continues as we've ve not won since Feb and we're now in May

1 minute ago, Street red said:

Yep and the fitness of the squad has deteriorated since,I honestly don't think we've seen a fit squad for 3 years. 

I seem to recall that prior to the mat season, Bobby Reid and a couple of other players had spent their summer working out with a personal trainer. The result was quite staggering. Reid went from a wiry, nondescript midfielder, probably at BS3s last chance saloon to a strong, extremely fit, muscular, very fast striker. He was unrecognisable from the player who had ended the previous season and imv the catalyst for the significant progress which we were able to make.

Couldn’t we retain that personal trainer to work his magic on our current squad?

10 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I seem to recall that prior to the mat season, Bobby Reid and a couple of other players had spent their summer working out with a personal trainer. The result was quite staggering. Reid went from a wiry, nondescript midfielder, probably at BS3s last chance saloon to a strong, extremely fit, muscular, very fast striker. He was unrecognisable from the player who had ended the previous season and imv the catalyst for the significant progress which we were able to make.

Couldn’t we retain that personal trainer to work his magic on our current squad?

Yep, have mentioned that in several previous posts. Joe Bryan was the same. Why the hell others didn’t follow that route to fitness - not that it should have been necessary - is beyond me. Probably has something to do with being in the ‘comfy club’.

Little wonder that both left the Club later that season - I suspect both saw the writing on the wall and lack of ambition - think this was the year Ashton came out with the classic about not being fussed over getting promotion. 

Believe it was something like ‘A-B Fitness’ or similar. Bristol based anyhow and one that other pro’s from Club’s elsewhere in the Country have used as well. 

58 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I expect Pearson will have his own ideas to who he wants.. I think alot of players prefer a personal trainer especially during covid.

Each individual should be given training program anyway including diet etc Not sure who the personal trainer was maybe Bobby still uses him? Unsure.

2 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 hours ago, RedRock said:

Yep, have mentioned that in several previous posts. Joe Bryan was the same. Why the hell others didn’t follow that route to fitness - not that it should have been necessary - is beyond me. Probably has something to do with being in the ‘comfy club’.

Little wonder that both left the Club later that season - I suspect both saw the writing on the wall and lack of ambition - think this was the year Ashton came out with the classic about not being fussed over getting promotion. 

Believe it was something like ‘A-B Fitness’ or similar. Bristol based anyhow and one that other pro’s from Club’s elsewhere in the Country have used as well. 

I think quite a few players go to similar personal trainers.  KP used Jamie Lawrence’s gym the summer before last.  Didn’t Marcus Day join him?

Archived