IGNORED

Who would you actually keep?

Unan

I would honestly let everyone go bar Massengo, Dasilva, Walsh, Williams & Semenyo. Obviously I wouldn’t let the likes of Kalas, Wells or Bentley go for free, but if we can get an adequate fee for them then let them go.

Not that I think they will all go, and not that I think that would be healthy to have wholesale changes. On an individual level though I wouldn’t be upset to see the large majority go.

Ridiculous post, 6 or 7 will go with 4 or 5 strong players coming in. Posters talking about huge changes are not talking about the real world of championship football. They are also forgetting the injury ravaged squad when they talk about the squad being not good enough. The squad with 10+ members injured wasn't good enough, but with 'normal' amount of injuries the squad is competitive and Pearson will add the quality to see us up and around top 6 again. To answer the question, for me the 'top six' players are (some potentially, not close yet)-

G- Bentley & O Leary

D - Dasilva Kalas Baker Vyner Cundy Nurse

M - Williams Wiemann O Dowda Paterson Massengo Bakinson

S - Semenyo Wells Martin

I've not included the young lads - Bell, Conway, Edwards etc who will probably get League 1 or 2 loans next season.

Pearson will then need to sign a centre forward, a big aggressive ball winning midfielder, a dominant centre half and a couple of full backs.

20 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Ridiculous post, 6 or 7 will go with 4 or 5 strong players coming in. Posters talking about huge changes are not talking about the real world of championship football.

Did you even read my post?

Not that I think they will all go, and not that I think that would be healthy to have wholesale changes.”

I still have a sneaky feeling he will keep Lansbury....we fell apart after he went off yesterday.

Also if he keeps Simpson for a season and lets Hunt go then there is no rush to get a RB and we can strengthen elsewhere.

38 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I still have a sneaky feeling he will keep Lansbury....we fell apart after he went off yesterday.

Also if he keeps Simpson for a season and lets Hunt go then there is no rush to get a RB and we can strengthen elsewhere.

I think there’s a chance he keeps Simpson.  Knows what he’s getting, less pressure than bringing in two RBs.  I’m sure Simpson would be happy with a squad / back-up role.  It’s all very good saying we can bring in Nyambe and Olusunde on free transfers (possibly compo for both), but how do you convince both....you can’t sell the club on splitting games with someone else.

I could therefore see the logic of new RB plus Simpson.  The other option is new RB plus Vyner.  The only problem with that is that if you need to rest new RB, and Vyner has to cover CB or CM, you’re stuffed.

Re Lansbury, it could be that they’ve offered Walsh a deal, but he’s indicated he’s not staying.

Its that’s fun time of the season.

I'm not so sure that there will be as many changes as some think. I can certainly see 4 or 5 of the out of contract players being offered new deals, even if only for a year while Covid settles down. I expect Simpson to be offered a 12 month contract and a similar deal for Jack Hunt. Walsh and Weimann I expect to be offered new deals (if they haven't been already) with the hope that Walsh will sign as he would wish to play alongside Williams. The unknowns are whether new deals will be offered to Paterson and Baker. Personally I'd give Pato a contract. Baker could depend on what type of centre back NP wants. As a stopper CB he's fine, not the best but OK particularly in the air. But he's not comfortable on the ball so if we need a left sided CB who can bring the ball out of defence then he needs to be replaced. The rest of the OOC players can go and I might add Palmer and Wells to that to. 

As to what comes in that may depend on which of the younger players he wishes to keep around and who gets loaned out. As I expect Fam to go we will need at least one centre forward. 

12 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I'm not so sure that there will be as many changes as some think. I can certainly see 4 or 5 of the out of contract players being offered new deals, even if only for a year while Covid settles down. I expect Simpson to be offered a 12 month contract and a similar deal for Jack Hunt. Walsh and Weimann I expect to be offered new deals (if they haven't been already) with the hope that Walsh will sign as he would wish to play alongside Williams. The unknowns are whether new deals will be offered to Paterson and Baker. Personally I'd give Pato a contract. Baker could depend on what type of centre back NP wants. As a stopper CB he's fine, not the best but OK particularly in the air. But he's not comfortable on the ball so if we need a left sided CB who can bring the ball out of defence then he needs to be replaced. The rest of the OOC players can go and I might add Palmer and Wells to that to. 

As to what comes in that may depend on which of the younger players he wishes to keep around and who gets loaned out. As I expect Fam to go we will need at least one centre forward. 

Looking at the situation as it is, and based on the results in 2021. I personally wouldn't offer any of the ooc contracts; bar taking up the option on Weimann.

People talk about Walsh wanting to stay. He's never come out, and said as much. With him it's all about potential. Yes, he's shown glimpses; but his injury record even before this year was awful.

If we are going to do a proper reset, and bring the players in that NP believes are going to take us forward, why should we be spending precious money on the players that have failed to deliver?

Players like Hunt, Baker, Walsh, Rowe etc would not only be taking up large part of the budgets, but also potentially block the progression of players like Scott, Conway, Pearson, Pring and others; as well as any new signings.

We have the nucleus of a good team, but like NP said; potentially even some of the under contract players won't want to go on the rocky journey that the next few years will be.

Clear the decks, integrate maybe 4/5 new signings into the set up. Anymore and the development of some really interesting under 23 players could be hindered.

We're not going to be in a position to go up next season. It's going to take a lot longer than 2 windows to get us up and going again (unless we're really lucky).

There will be successes, and failures; but i'd like to think with the right structures in place; we can get a bit of momentum going again after a season to forget.

46 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

Looking at the situation as it is, and based on the results in 2021. I personally wouldn't offer any of the ooc contracts; bar taking up the option on Weimann.

People talk about Walsh wanting to stay. He's never come out, and said as much. With him it's all about potential. Yes, he's shown glimpses; but his injury record even before this year was awful.

If we are going to do a proper reset, and bring the players in that NP believes are going to take us forward, why should we be spending precious money on the players that have failed to deliver?

Players like Hunt, Baker, Walsh, Rowe etc would not only be taking up large part of the budgets, but also potentially block the progression of players like Scott, Conway, Pearson, Pring and others; as well as any new signings.

We have the nucleus of a good team, but like NP said; potentially even some of the under contract players won't want to go on the rocky journey that the next few years will be.

Clear the decks, integrate maybe 4/5 new signings into the set up. Anymore and the development of some really interesting under 23 players could be hindered.

We're not going to be in a position to go up next season. It's going to take a lot longer than 2 windows to get us up and going again (unless we're really lucky).

There will be successes, and failures; but i'd like to think with the right structures in place; we can get a bit of momentum going again after a season to forget.

I fully respect your viewpoint and you might be right. I'd just like to see if Walsh with a full season can be the player many think he can be, and it's money I'd risk with plenty of cover in midfield. As for Simpson/Hunt a one year deal for each might be a cheaper option in these Covid times than bringing another RB in, and I certainly wouldn't spend the money on Sessegnon (if that's an option) who I don't see as an improvement either defensively or going forward. It would be different if we had a good kid coming through but while there are rave reviews about our young keepers, CBs, LB, midfielders wingers and strikers I'm not aware of any at RB. 

6 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Lansbury is one of those player who has not had much game time in recent season and will struggle to get a club.  He is still a decent player and with a full preseason may be worth keeping.  

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think there’s a chance he keeps Simpson.  Knows what he’s getting, less pressure than bringing in two RBs.  I’m sure Simpson would be happy with a squad / back-up role.  It’s all very good saying we can bring in Nyambe and Olusunde on free transfers (possibly compo for both), but how do you convince both....you can’t sell the club on splitting games with someone else.

I could therefore see the logic of new RB plus Simpson.  The other option is new RB plus Vyner.  The only problem with that is that if you need to rest new RB, and Vyner has to cover CB or CM, you’re stuffed.

Re Lansbury, it could be that they’ve offered Walsh a deal, but he’s indicated he’s not staying.

Me too.

I think it will be new RB plus Simpson, two reasons; he has talked indirectly about a lack of leaders & directly about how little that we communicate on the pitch, he knows Simpson well & sees him as part of the solution there, even as a squad player.

Secondly with Dasilva as first choice LB, if Rowe is released & not replaced, the alternatives within the club are Pring (6 League One starts) or Nurse (never played above League Two), Simpson made his debut for us v Stoke filling in there, not beyond credibility he uses him as cover there if say Olosunde joins.

Only OOC I'd look to keep at most are Walsh, Weimann and Paterson. At most. Injuries a factor of course.

How many can be moved on in terms of the current squad is, might be quite moot given the financial situation in the Championship- I wouldn't look to move on e.g. Moore if he was 4th or 5th choice CB, he can do a job to an extent. Nagy I don't think needs moving on necessarily, has 2 goals and 4 assists this season despite being in and out of the side- unsure he has like a number of players in recent years been given a role that suits him that well either.

A number of the youth can go on loan- Nurse and Towler to name 2, Conway, Scott and more no doubt.

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Not quite the fun time yet. We have one miserable pounding still to take first. 

I hope fans remember all these chats about 'rebuilding' and 'three or four windows before we can challenge', 'no chance top 6 next season' etc. Because, if that's the case, week on week we are going to be losing quite a few games.  And OTIB isn't traditionally a forum too understanding of defeats.

On the original post, you'd have to think Simpson will get a deal otherwise what was point in bringing him in for a bunch of meaningless games?

I wouldn't keep Lansbury - he's improving but not enough. But clearly NP sees something in him and I trust that more than my cursory judgement of him from a few very strange games. (Although Im hoping we are looking at Matty James over Lansbury).

Hunt, Rowe, Sessegnon, Fam, Mariappa, Hakeeb, Marley - Would not be money well spent retaining any of them.

Pato - I think will go but City will probably try and keep. 

Walsh - who knows but we will try and keep. There is very clearly a player in there.

Baker - will depend what NP sees in next few weeks of training and match. If he can get himself fit, he is going to impress in training you would think.

Bents, Kalas, Nagy - our only saleable assests so don't be surprised if at least one decides to move on. Maybe Palmer now he's an international - but you'd think he's not earning 20k a week anywhere else on current form. Same CoD and Wells - same pay anywhere else unlikely so they stay and we need to make best of them.

Weimann - NP sounds positive on him (and his personality type) so option surely will be taken.

Gilmartin - must keep and needs to be Number One next season, even if Bents, Max and Jojo all stay. Pay whatever it takes to get him for next four years, Steve.

Vyner, Cundy, Moore, Dasilva, Pring, Nurse, HNM, Bakinson, Semenyo, Conway, Bell, Scott, Pearson, Britton, Morton..  I mean, I know there is a lot of doom and gloom around place at the moment, but that is not a bad start. A few of those players have really high ceilings and, get the right players around them, at least a couple will surely realise their potential. 

Next transfer window is a bit of a unique opportunity given potential we have for clearing decks and the availability of other players given no one has any money. So my main hope is, as part of the laborious process in confirming Nigel, we have a clear plan agreed for future direction and a system in place over the coming couple of months in absence of CEO and DoF, for identifying, developing interest, and ultimately acquiring new players. 

Some of type of player I'd love to see coming in (realistically) - Ostigard, Matty James, Rothwell, Dewsbury-Hall (even if just loan), Josh Knight, Adam Smith, Joao (Reading are effed);  Sibley (Derby are effed); Luca Connell; Ashley Fletcher (I know, I know); James Collins; Jed Wallace. All Fantasy Football stuff but, point is, there are some players out there this window.

Ideally keep:

bentley, Oleary, kalas, Cundy, Dasilva, vyner, Williams, massengo, Walsh, bakinson, Lansbury, semenyo, Weimann, Martin.

sell either because of interest or because we want rid/isn’t good enough:

wells, Nagy, Palmer, moore

reluctantly sell if get a good offer:

bentley, semenyo, bakinson

Loan out for regular first team league exp:

Conway, Britton, Morton, Edwards, Benarous, 

youth to step up to first team:

scott, bell.

Archived