IGNORED

Joe Bryan

Roadrunner

19 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

And plays for the shirt and always gives 100%. Which is more than can be said for 75% of our side at present.

I'd love to see Joe back, but as others have said, he'll have better options than us. 

My main (pretty much only) gripe with Bryan was that he often didn’t put in 100%, there were many many occasions and games when he was by far the most half arsed player on the pitch. Not sure how he’s managed to to paint a picture of the opposite in so many people’s heads. Used to get himself fired up for the “big” games every time without fail, but when we were struggling his commitment was often poor. He’d have been as much of a passenger as anyone else this season.

54 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

My main (pretty much only) gripe with Bryan was that he often didn’t put in 100%, there were many many occasions and games when he was by far the most half arsed player on the pitch. Not sure how he’s managed to to paint a picture of the opposite in so many people’s heads. Used to get himself fired up for the “big” games every time without fail, but when we were struggling his commitment was often poor. He’d have been as much of a passenger as anyone else this season.

You try playing with Ryan Kent (of 17/18) in front of you! ?

• The title was changed to Joe Bryan
On 03/05/2021 at 10:15, Aaron-Bcfc said:

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this one but feel we will find ourselves in the minority

Would be a downgrade on Jay at LB, if we wanted to play with wide players he'd be fantastic at left mid. Don't think he'd ever want to come back tho.

On 03/05/2021 at 10:15, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Agree, was always fantastic in the big games (often playing further forward) but had the tendency to "switch off" when he was needed most.

Joe Bryan is, and was, a fantastic player - I just don't get some of these negative comments in this thread. We've been blessed with some great left sided players over the years, and he's right up there in the top ten for me. Would love to have him back.

16 minutes ago, LilRascal said:

Joe Bryan is, and was, a fantastic player - I just don't get some of these negative comments in this thread. We've been blessed with some great left sided players over the years, and he's right up there in the top ten for me. Would love to have him back.

A lot of fans have rose tinted glasses of former players. I expect most would say Bryan is worse than Mickey Bell was, when it’s obvious he’s a fair bit better 

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

A lot of fans have rose tinted glasses of former players. I expect most would say Bryan is worse than Mickey Bell was, when it’s obvious he’s a fair bit better 

Used to say this about Jamie McAllister, Mickey Bell played 1 season of Championship football in his entire career, (McAllister in contrast played 5) yet because he could take a decent free kick he’s seen as better.

Bell was a really good League One player, whereas Bryan is a squad player at Prem level, FFS.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Used to say this about Jamie McAllister, Mickey Bell played 1 season of Championship football in his entire career, (McAllister in contrast played 5) yet because he could take a decent free kick he’s seen as better.

Bell was a really good League One player, whereas Bryan is a squad player at Prem level, FFS.

With all these things you either have to take division into account, or take a view relevant to their performance in the team at the time, irrespective of division.  If you don’t, then you have to take the team from the old first division as being the best.

I tend to look at it as whether they were great in the team they played in....irrespective of level.

As LBs go, I liked M.Scott, D.Barnard, M.Bell and J.Bryan.  I didn’t see Brennan.  Some played Lg1, some played Champ.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

With all these things you either have to take division into account, or take a view relevant to their performance in the team at the time, irrespective of division.  If you don’t, then you have to take the team from the old first division as being the best.

I tend to look at it as whether they were great in the team they played in....irrespective of level.

As LBs go, I liked M.Scott, D.Barnard, M.Bell and J.Bryan.  I didn’t see Brennan.  Some played Lg1, some played Champ.

You would have enjoyed Thresher, Briggs, the only right footed left back that I can remember playing a significant amount of games, and Drysdale.

PS. I think Jack Bailey who preceded Thresh was right footed. 

@Davefevs

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

You would have enjoyed Thresher, Briggs, the only right footed left back that I can remember playing a significant amount of games, and Drysdale.

@Davefevs

Never saw Speedy play live, but he lived nearby (when I was a kid), and he was good friends with my mate’s dad....and then he used to take us for training too.

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Brennan was as good as Bell, Scott & Barnard, in my opinion. They had the common good fortune of playing with the excellent Brian Tinnion in front of them - he tutored them well. Not sure whether Tinnion had much influence on Joe Bryan’s development, but wouldn’t be surprised if he was involved somewhere. 

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Going back further there was also John Bailey (slow but liked a tackle and could read the game well) and Russell Brommage, who was king of the overlap. 

Mickey Bell is my favourite all time left back of ours. And we got him cheap......

12 hours ago, KegCity said:

Would be a downgrade on Jay at LB, if we wanted to play with wide players he'd be fantastic at left mid. Don't think he'd ever want to come back tho.

Agree, was always fantastic in the big games (often playing further forward) but had the tendency to "switch off" when he was needed most.

The thing that used to really grate me about Bryan was the way he would switch off defensively, and then at times be half arsed to sprint back to remedy his mistake.

He seemed to enjoy going forward a lot more than actually defending.

He obviously adds an attacking dimension to the wing back position. But i think Parker has recognised his defensive liabilities now.

Not for me, he'd be on big wages; and is the type of player that would wind NP up for the above reasons.

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Always amazed at how many great Lbs we've had; as opposed to the complete nonsense on the right hand side.

It seems to carry on, regardless of what decade we are in.

All of the left backs mentioned added something to the mix; but i always loved watching Martin Scott play. A real leader, who wore his heart on his sleeve. Fantastic defensively, and would also take penalties; and set pieces as well.

Was gutted when he left for Sunderland; and not surprised he went into management after retiring.

50 minutes ago, Offside said:

Going back further there was also John Bailey (slow but liked a tackle and could read the game well) and Russell Brommage, who was king of the overlap. 

Mickey Bell is my favourite all time left back of ours. And we got him cheap......

John Bailey, what a character,  what he lacked in pace he made up with know how.

Always remember the 2 leg semi with Forest, where he was up against Frank Carr, Carr was the fastest winger in the country at the time, but JB had him in his pocket, especially at Ashton Gate in the second leg. 

52 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

Always amazed at how many great Lbs we've had; as opposed to the complete nonsense on the right hand side.

It seems to carry on, regardless of what decade we are in.

All of the left backs mentioned added something to the mix; but i always loved watching Martin Scott play. A real leader, who wore his heart on his sleeve. Fantastic defensively, and would also take penalties; and set pieces as well.

Was gutted when he left for Sunderland; and not surprised he went into management after retiring.

In my time supporting City it's hard to think of many quality right backs. Carey in his younger days and Bradley Orr are about all that come to mind. Talking of which so many leaders in that 07/08 team... 

Archived