IGNORED

What is a Nigel Pearson Team

Discounting this season, he has been hamstrung by injuries, disinterested players and a general malaise running through the club,  looking ahead to August what exactly can we expect.

I have no idea on his footballing philosophy, how he sets up his teams whether his primary instinct is to attack  or grind out results.

My hope is that the excitement returns to Ashton Gate, we have a defined style and players who fit that pattern and look as though they care.

Not expecting a miracle but at the very least ,the last couple of months should represent our low point and an upward trajectory has been firmly established.

4231 doesn’t require a big-man up top....depends how the team are set up to play.  Pukki does alright doesn’t he.  Yeah, we aren’t Norwich, but that’s not the point.

I think yesterday, having been encouraged by a front two v Luton (442), he was checking out whether 352 might work too.  It didn’t, for numerous reasons, in part because of our WBs.

I think he might like a pair, but that could come in various guises dependent on system...not necessarily a traditional front-two.

If you have players with energy you don’t have make life easier.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

4231 doesn’t require a big-man up top....depends how the team are set up to play.  Pukki does alright doesn’t he.  Yeah, we aren’t Norwich, but that’s not the point.

I think yesterday, having been encouraged by a front two v Luton (442), he was checking out whether 352 might work too.  It didn’t, for numerous reasons, in part because of our WBs.

I think he might like a pair, but that could come in various guises dependent on system...not necessarily a traditional front-two.

If you have players with energy you don’t have make life easier.

Which is where we've missed Weimann.

Him and Massengo in the team would immediately make a positive difference imo.

I hope his injury hasn't taken too much out of him.

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I get the feeling Troy Deeney may be brought in on a free. 

A work colleague of mine is a Birmingham fan, and quite close to the club hierarchy.

He reckons Deeney will be going to Blues if released on a free, as he is a lifelong fan, and would love to end his career there.

6 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

A work colleague of mine is a Birmingham fan, and quite close to the club hierarchy.

He reckons Deeney will be going to Blues if released on a free, as he is a lifelong fan, and would love to end his career there.

Personally I can’t see Deeney coming here, nor NP wanting him here.  It was a unique Watford specific thing, not a NP-Deeney thing per se.

Can't wait to find out.

Fed up of hearing crap in the past from likes of Ashton, Johnson + Holden over last few years ie DNA, recruitment is an ongoing process, we talk every day, footballing philosophies, playing from the back, high pressing game, good people, high pressure job roles,working with chefs, LJ visiting Yoda etc - utter bollocks from the lot of them and thank god there all gone.

Too many of todays younger Coaches believe their own hype because of theory they have learned on a FA coaching course but are unable to translate this to the training ground + matchday because they lack the charactor, conviction and man management skills.

Nige is a very different beast and has obviously ruffled a few feathers. 

I'm sure he will now put his stamp on the club and simplfy things, set out a clear vision for players and staff.

Initially, I would just like to see an honest team with charactor and discipline, be able to manage games.  Also a more physical presence so that we are hard to beat.  

Can't wait for the end of season clear out and some badly needed fresh faces.

Things are bad now but I am confident in Nige - he just needs time and support.

Going to be a very interesting summer for us - a massive job but a real oppurtunity. 

51 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

It's a good question. 

As far as I understand, NPs teams are built around stamina, strength and great positioning as opposed to  being skilled and fluid necessarily. 

Workmanlike if you will. 

Happy be corrected on that, however as others have said it may not be enough in the current climate to progress, but may increase stability. 

Plenty of 'workmanlike' teams manage just fine. Burnley have survived in the Prem for years by being just like that. Sheffield United pushed top 6 also. You could argue that Leicester's setup is built fundamentally on being 'workmanlike'. 

In this league Norwich are fairly 'workmanlike' but with a couple of stand out players. 

In the modern game, most of the best sides are built on the principles of stamina, strength and great positioning. Obviously at the very top level with world class players it's a bit different, but I don't think you could win this division without those principles. 

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Plenty of 'workmanlike' teams manage just fine. Burnley have survived in the Prem for years by being just like that. Sheffield United pushed top 6 also. You could argue that Leicester's setup is built fundamentally on being 'workmanlike'. 

In this league Norwich are fairly 'workmanlike' but with a couple of stand out players. 

In the modern game, most of the best sides are built on the principles of stamina, strength and great positioning. Obviously at the very top level with world class players it's a bit different, but I don't think you could win this division without those principles. 

Norwich are the hardest working side in the league and as you say one or two of those lads are lucky enough to also have some genuine quality to go with their already high work ethic and self motivation.

Contrast to a group of players who not only lack quality but lack the basics of self motivation and work ethic.

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Norwich are the hardest working side in the league and as you say one or two of those lads are lucky enough to also have some genuine quality to go with their already high work ethic and self motivation.

Contrast to a group of players who not only lack quality but lack the basics of self motivation and work ethic.

Exactly. They have a few brilliant players but those players are only able to shine as their whole side is built around their work ethic. That said, both Pukki and Buendia are hard workers too. Really good side at this level. 

1 hour ago, Rossi the Robin said:

I get the impression he’s not a tactical manager and bases his teams on hard work, effort and collective accountability 

Is this type of method now outdated as the game has changed in the last 10 years and much less physical 

Yep I would say this sums him up, he basically has said this as well.

Football has moved on but there's more than one way to have success at this level. Dyche has done exceptionally well with Burnley and he's very similar to NP. 

1 minute ago, MATT BCFC said:

Football has moved on but there's more than one way to have success at this level. Dyche has done exceptionally well with Burnley and he's very similar to NP. 

The funny thing is if many internet tactical experts spent just 10 minutes with a Sean Dyche or Nigel Pearson they would quickly realise they don’t know better.

A few weeks ago Ostrich the Leicester fan posted on here that NP's preferred system was usually 442. NP also said in an old podcast that he likes consistant 7/10 players. i.e players he can rely on for a preformance to a certain level week in week out.

2 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

A few weeks ago Ostrich the Leicester fan posted on here that NP's preferred system was usually 442. NP also said in an old podcast that he likes consistant 7/10 players. i.e players he can rely on for a preformance to a certain level week in week out.

At Watford he mainly played 4-3-3. I think he's fairly flexible to be honest. 

What a Pearson team looks like will depend on how much the board backs him, not just in the transfer market but in terms of those behind the scenes (recruitment, medical). That all affects the team on the park. My biggest fear is that we’re left to fend for the scraps as we’ve got nobody working on getting new players in right now. 

Obviously every team needs a shape and a defined way of playing that also allows an individual element of skill and decision making. You really can go overboard on tactics at times to the point of being obsessed by the opposition, confusing players and tying yourself up in knots and if the last two years of the LJ reign didn’t show us that then nothing will. Whatever “type” of Manager is in charge players have basic jobs to do in possession and out of possession and they have to work hard. As I’ve said before football in the wrong hands can be a lot more complicated than you need to make it.

12 minutes ago, tin said:

What a Pearson team looks like will depend on how much the board backs him, not just in the transfer market but in terms of those behind the scenes (recruitment, medical). That all affects the team on the park. My biggest fear is that we’re left to fend for the scraps as we’ve got nobody working on getting new players in right now. 

Despite refusing to be drawn on it Pearson will know the  “what” (he needs) and will have no doubt discussed the “how” (he’s going to get it) with Steve.

28 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

Sean Dyche was the manager in my head when I was thinking about this thread this morning - hopefully NP will become our SD

31 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Didnt say it was a bad thing, did I? 

Tough crowd ?

You'd have been fine if you didn't add "Happy be corrected on that, however as others have said it may not be enough in the current climate to progress, but may increase stability."

Combined with your constant criticism of Pearson.. it's clear you framed it negatively despite playing dumb now. 

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You'd have been fine if you didn't add "Happy be corrected on that, however as others have said it may not be enough in the current climate to progress, but may increase stability."

Combined with your constant criticism of Pearson.. it's clear you framed it negatively despite playing dumb now. 

Ralph isn't keen on Nige. Who cares? Put him on ignore Phileas.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

The funny thing is if many internet tactical experts spent just 10 minutes with a Sean Dyche or Nigel Pearson they would quickly realise they don’t know better.

Yep, they live and breathe it.  We can by all means have our opinion based on our observations, (and I do ?), but I’m not stupid enough to think I could hold a tactical debate with NP or LJ.

43 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Dyche is a 442 guy who likes hard working players he can trust. It might seem like he isn't a tactical manager, but he is very clever tactically how he built his side on a budget and how he sets them up. I expect Pearson is also a lot more tactically intelligent than people might think.

Whilst affording the odd flair player - McNeil, Brady in the past, but even they don’t Fancy-Dan it!

22 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

Ralph isn't keen on Nige. Who cares? Put him on ignore Phileas.

Ralph is a her.  It doesn’t matter, but just in case you want to be correct next time.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, they live and breathe it.  We can by all means have our opinion based on our observations, (and I do ?), but I’m not stupid enough to think I could hold a tactical debate with NP or LJ.

Whilst affording the odd flair player - McNeil, Brady in the past, but even they don’t Fancy-Dan it!

Ralph is a her.  It doesn’t matter, but just in case you want to be correct next time.

Tbf I wasn’t thinking about you as I realise you have played the game. There are a number of “theorists” on here who haven’t played the game to any level and who don’t legislate for the fact that managers and coaches are dealing with footballers of varying intelligence levels not rocket scientists. Yes you have to be tactically aware but I watched an 8 minute clip of a Bobby Robson team talk the other day that got everything required across in a way that anyone could understand. It’s not about coming up with books on tactics for players to read, it’s about giving them roles and specific jobs to do that they understand and therefore can implement.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

His Leicester squad in 2014/15 were full of solid defenders, plenty of hard working aggressive midfield players and some outstanding forward players - Mahrez, Ulloa and Vardy

Hard to play against and full of pace/skill in attack

looks like he preferred a 442 

9 minutes ago, INCRED said:

His Leicester squad in 2014/15 were full of solid defenders, plenty of hard working aggressive midfield players and some outstanding forward players - Mahrez, Ulloa and Vardy

Hard to play against and full of pace/skill in attack

looks like he preferred a 442 

A few posters have mentioned that opposition teams couldn’t believe how fast and strong that team were and got blown away.

Not dissimilar to Brighton.  Sidwell and Stephens in CM and Murphy and Knockaert outside them.  Then Hemed up front with whoever they partnered him with (Baldock on occasion) they were a tough but fast team,

5 hours ago, City37 said:

Can't wait to find out.

Fed up of hearing crap in the past from likes of Ashton, Johnson + Holden over last few years ie DNA, recruitment is an ongoing process, we talk every day, footballing philosophies, playing from the back, high pressing game, good people, high pressure job roles,working with chefs, LJ visiting Yoda etc - utter bollocks from the lot of them and thank god there all gone.

Too many of todays younger Coaches believe their own hype because of theory they have learned on a FA coaching course but are unable to translate this to the training ground + matchday because they lack the charactor, conviction and man management skills.

Nige is a very different beast and has obviously ruffled a few feathers. 

I'm sure he will now put his stamp on the club and simplfy things, set out a clear vision for players and staff.

Initially, I would just like to see an honest team with charactor and discipline, be able to manage games.  Also a more physical presence so that we are hard to beat.  

Can't wait for the end of season clear out and some badly needed fresh faces.

Things are bad now but I am confident in Nige - he just needs time and support.

Going to be a very interesting summer for us - a massive job but a real oppurtunity. 

The FA do not provide a theory on how to play the game. The education is there to support coaches to create their own philosophies and approaches be they utter bollocks or not. 

33 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

The FA do not provide a theory on how to play the game. The education is there to support coaches to create their own philosophies and approaches be they utter bollocks or not. 

Don't disagree with that - my "utter bollocks" comment was aimed a our previous management teams not the FA.

I do have an issue with younger modern coaches who, for me talk too much theory but are unable to translate these on to the pitch.

7 minutes ago, City37 said:

Don't disagree with that - my "utter bollocks" comment was aimed a our previous management teams not the FA.

I do have an issue with younger modern coaches who, for me talk too much theory but are unable to translate these on to the pitch.

All coaches have to have the knowledge but as you say  it’s how you impart the message that counts. In a squad of 25 blokes you will have some that learn by listening, others prefer seeing and some will get the message by doing. Encouragement works for some, kick up the arse for others. Some players want to know why, others just want to get the work done and piss off and meet that bird they chatted up.

Many players will accept what you tell them others need convincing. Some people are nice and respectful and you’ll have others that are good players but right bastards to deal with. Therefore if you can’t manage people you can’t coach them effectively whatever the textbook says.

Archived