IGNORED

24 Defeats in 41 Games

Is there much more to be said? That's a truly shocking statistic. 

It astounds me how we haven't been Relegated. Think of all the lucky results we scraped like Wycombe at Home, QPR away, Cardiff away, Derby at home. 

I personally don't think our squad have been fit all season, couple that with a bang average team with an inexperienced Manager early on, we were always up against it.

1 hour ago, weepywall said:

It has amazed me how we haven't really been drawn into a relegation battle, they say the table doesn't lie but i think this seasons has, we must be the worst team in this division, certainly since Xmas.

Yep. I've noticed that when the bad teams get to have a live game on Sky, the commentator will say something like "they've only one one out of their last ten away games" or "they haven't had a home win since January". And then I think, "Oh yeah, that was against us!".

If we are truthful we have more or less stolen a place in next season’s Championship. Completely undeserved and we currently find ourselves the worst side in the division over our last 40 matches but that’s our luck and we’ve got to build on it.

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

It is an awful record. And we haven’t even had unlucky defeats to balance out the lucky wins.

Interesting though that we had our best spell (in terms a run of deserved results) early on. 

I can think Barnsley away very unlucky to concede a penalty in the last minute, but then again the first half was abysmal against them. 

Also thought Bournemouth at Home we did ok, unlucky to not get a point.

Regarding my original post. Not sure if any of you remember Huddersfield at Home. Unbelievable how we won that one, they absolutely battered us after we went 2-0 up. 

Lady luck has saved us

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I can think Barnsley away very unlucky to concede a penalty in the last minute, but then again the first half was abysmal against them. 

Regarding my original post. Not sure if any of you remember Huddersfield at Home. Unbelievable how we won that one, they absolutely battered us after we went 2-0 up. 

Lady luck has saved us

Second half they had TWENTY shots to our ZERO, yes 20 shots in just 45 minutes of football.......so was Holden getting more out of the players? No, we were relying on last ditch defending literally all season to completely shithouse the points we have.

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Second half they had TWENTY shots to our ZERO, yes 20 shots in just 45 minutes of football.......so was Holden getting more out of the players? No, we were relying on last ditch defending literally all season to completely shithouse the points we have.

Course he wasn't getting anything more out of them. It was backs to the wall from the very start. 

I think since we won the 3 games since Holden left many of the squad have simply just downed tools now knowing they are going to be safe and in the Summer they will be at a new club.

Massengo needs to take some credit, the only one every game putting in 100%. Poor lad is 19 and the only one showing leadership. 

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

It is an awful record. And we haven’t even had unlucky defeats to balance out the lucky wins.

Interesting though that we had our best spell (in terms a run of deserved results) early on. 

At a time when Weimann and Pato were both in the team and people on here were slaughtering the pair of them. Funny how we have nose dived since they have been out of the team.

Agree it was our best spell, but with the benefit of hindsight our good results early in the season were against teams that would go on to struggle (Coventry, Huddersfield, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby) or were struggling and would sack their manager (Forest, Cardiff) - that's 6 of our first 7 wins before we really started dropping, the other was against Stoke which I think many recall as being our only dominant performance.

Getting the kind of wins we did back then, with a far bigger and better selection of fit and available players really doesn't say much for us other than at full strength we were at least good enough to narrowly beat the very worst relegation threatened sides in the division - making us a lower mid-table side at best. Underlying performance stats from the time bore that out, we were a poor side beating the poorer sides.

We now are the poorest side - so if anything our good fortune is that we won all the relegation six pointers at a time in September / October when no one even realised they were mostly relegation six pointers.

2 hours ago, 2015 said:

Lady luck has saved us

Barnsley, yes, probably the exception that proves the rule. Although 2-2 at Barnsley is never anything to do with luck, skill or judgement: it’s just the way of the world!

Huddersfield we were desperately lucky. But usually you feel you earn that luck by what happens in other games. Not this year

4 hours ago, 2015 said:

Is there much more to be said? That's a truly shocking statistic. 

It astounds me how we haven't been Relegated. Think of all the lucky results we scraped like Wycombe at Home, QPR away, Cardiff away, Derby at home. 

I personally don't think our squad have been fit all season, couple that with a bang average team with an inexperienced Manager early on, we were always up against it.

Appalling when you see it written out like that. 

When you think about it, the decline really began to set in about February 2019 when we started our annual slide down the table.

Since then, we've been a poor side, only occasionally looking decent - usually early in the season against clubs with lots of new players and/or a new manager. 

More than two years of mainly misery - albeit never so abject as at the moment.

It really is sink or swim this summer.  Unless Pearson gets it right, we will be relegated. 

A very short summer break last year, and there wasn’t enough focus on fitness in the pre-season. It seems obvious with hindsight but the compressed sequence of games before Christmas needed a very fit squad and player rotation. We didn’t and it derailed our season.

I know we’ve been crap this season but too many of you guys are glass half empty types and look for any excuse to bash the club.

We’ve also won more games than any other team in the bottom half bar Preston. And by the way, the season is 46 games and you finish where you deserve at the end. Those of you taking a snapshot of the season and not including the first 4 because we happened to win them are being disingenuous to prove a point IMHO. We get it, we have been poor but those talking about relegation as a possibility next season are well off the mark.

Rant over.

11 minutes ago, HappyClapper said:

I know we’ve been crap this season but too many of you guys are glass half empty types and look for any excuse to bash the club.

We’ve also won more games than any other team in the bottom half bar Preston. And by the way, the season is 46 games and you finish where you deserve at the end. Those of you taking a snapshot of the season and not including the first 4 because we happened to win them are being disingenuous to prove a point IMHO. We get it, we have been poor but those talking about relegation as a possibility next season are well off the mark.

Rant over.

Happy Clapper

Surprisingly, we’ve won 15! You have to go up to Preston in 13th place to find anyone who’s won more than that. And Millwall in 11th have won the same number. 

Pearson did identify a few weeks back that we don't/didn't dig out enough draws out of adversity.

Pretty all or nothing for a lot of this season. Win or loss...

Points gained from losing positions has been quite decent this season though, we are/have been one of the better sides. Also our injury list pro rata has to be one of the worst- it's certainly based on a stat I saw Saturday, comfortably worse than any PL side this season. I suspect it maybe one of the worst of the 92.

14 hours ago, HappyClapper said:

Rant over.

Glad you are living up to your handle name. 

Did the aged travellers brought in by Holden upset the balance and cohesion of the team as a whole?

I am sure Pearson already knows that answer. 

I will forever question the wisdom of Steve Lansdown to almost perenially appoint novices but this one really takes the biscuit. A complete hiding to nothing doing so. We all said so at the time. It's inconceivable he did not realise this but, he didn't. 

Oxymoron Steve. Or, should we lay the blame squarely at Ashton's door?

On the plus side, we know don't we that as magnanimous as we were about the idiocy of Holden's appointment we are the same about the pure wisdom of giving Nigel a 3 year contract. Not just because he has been there and done it but because we need someone exactly like Nigel to pull the club around from its meandering out of control container ship state. In other words that will take some time to sort.

When the reflections of seasons past are written the one when Steve Cotterill was sacked and apprentice Johnson was appointed will go down as a blunderbus of a decision. The cream on that mistake was Ashton. 5 years to get here. At least 3 to get out of it. Absolutely bang on there is Nigel .

17 hours ago, HappyClapper said:

Rant over.

Agree with this 

Many who know me on this forum will see me as a negative poster, but the fact is over 46 games we have been good enough to stay up. We have to now look towards next season and I just cannot see it being as bad as this one 

Do I think it will be tough? yes. Do I think we are going to see this huge turnaround in fortunes in time for August and we will reap the benefits next year ? No, but I think Pearson has the experience and ability to start turning things around in the summer 

The one real good point is so many of these players will be leaving and he gets the opportunity to replace them with his type of player. 

The most important thing is we have to get the right backroom staff in. In some ways that's going to be more important then the new players 

I'd be breaking the bank now for Steve Walsh and  Craig Shakespeare or Chris Powell

20 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

If we are truthful we have more or less stolen a place in next season’s Championship. Completely undeserved and we currently find ourselves the worst side in the division over our last 40 matches but that’s our luck and we’ve got to build on it.

It depends on how you look at it, our early season form was with a full squad but injuries have killed our season, you could say we've been unlucky from that point of view. Changing manager has made no difference to results, the basic problem all along has been lack of options for the coach picking the team with most of our best players not available.

9 hours ago, italian dave said:

Surprisingly, we’ve won 15! You have to go up to Preston in 13th place to find anyone who’s won more than that. And Millwall in 11th have won the same number. 

What is crazy about the 15 wins is I can’t remember many when City played really well. 

https://experimental361.com/2021/05/02/expected-goals-table-championship-1-may-2021/

You only have to look at the above for an indictation of how incredibly fortunate we’ve been this season. I never really used to give xG much credence at all until the last year/18 months when I’ve realised that it does give a pretty good general guide. 5 of the 6 on that model make up the actual top 6, and each of the bottom 8 make up the bottom 8 (albeit in a different order).

The fact that on a game by game basis it’s predicted us to get just 29 points is staggeringly poor. There are a couple of other anomalies, Swansea being the main other who like us went through a large period of playing poorly and fluking results and have put themselves a lot higher than they probably should be.

1 hour ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

https://experimental361.com/2021/05/02/expected-goals-table-championship-1-may-2021/

You only have to look at the above for an indictation of how incredibly fortunate we’ve been this season. I never really used to give xG much credence at all until the last year/18 months when I’ve realised that it does give a pretty good general guide. 5 of the 6 on that model make up the actual top 6, and each of the bottom 8 make up the bottom 8 (albeit in a different order).

The fact that on a game by game basis it’s predicted us to get just 29 points is staggeringly poor. There are a couple of other anomalies, Swansea being the main other who like us went through a large period of playing poorly and fluking results and have put themselves a lot higher than they probably should be.

It's something you can't really argue with once you've seen it.

The elephant in the room here is just 7 home wins, and 12 home defeats, with I think 3 draws. And we can't blame covid for example - last season we only won 8 at home, while winning more away.

For whatever reason, the last couple of seasons we've had a real hard time performing at home. I think that close to the top of Nige's to-do list over the coming summer is seriously address the issue of our home form. We need to make Ashton Gate great again.

Archived