IGNORED

Man Utd fans break in to Old Trafford and invade the pitch with flares in protest of the Glazers

Unan

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the Wee Donkey. How can you not know what Line Of Duty is?

BBC Drama that has the highest viewing figures in fifteen years. Finale is tonight.

No watching footy on sky sports. Might watch snooker later on BBC if still on 

I have not used my TV for any other than sport or my x box for years 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Peaceful protest has never achieved anything. 

Time to disrupt. It's the only language the megalomaniacs at the top will understand. 

Peaceful protest is, statistically, more likely to achieve its goal that violent protest. 

7 minutes ago, James54De said:

Peaceful protest is, statistically, more likely to achieve its goal that violent protest. 

You’re simultaneously creating a false dichotomy - non-peaceful protest is but necessarily violent - and ignoring history. There are few, if any, examples of social change being achieved by peaceful protest alone.

There are plenty of examples of movements which used a combination of peaceful protest and direct action but the direct action has been airbrushed out and sanitised by people who want to piously preach about the value of peaceful protest. 

For example progress on women’s rights, civil rights, LGBT rights, disability rights and opposing apartheid was not and would never have been achieved by peaceful protest alone. If you believe any of those were, it may be worth brushing up on your history.

• SC&T Board Members
1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I am certain the five security guards - Jack, Adrian, Tomas, Nathan and Tommy - tried their best to keep them out. Unfortunately communication was poor and they were in totally the wrong positions...

Quite. It sounds to me as though there was a steward or two sympathetic to the cause inside the ground that must have opened a gate. I can't believe that a group of fans can simply force their way into Old Trafford when it's all secured from the inside for a behind-closed-doors game.

IF the reports of isolated acts of violence are true, that is, of course, disappointing and cannot be condoned, but non-violent protest outside and (if they were freely admitted, as I suspect) inside the stadium is not something I can criticise.

Too often fans fail to stand up for what they believe in. So, it's good to see United fans taking action.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

It’s strange how some peoples support for protest changes depending on their thoughts on the cause

Exactly. That’s the point I was making. If you support a cause, a disruptive protest it’s wonderful. If you don’t support a cause, a disruptive protest it’s just a pain in the bum. The problem with supporting disruptive protests is you can’t pick and choose. Once you accept the principle of a state of disorder you’ve got to accept it even for things you disapprove of. 

9 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

You’re simultaneously creating a false dichotomy - non-peaceful protest is but necessarily violent - and ignoring history. There are few, if any, examples of social change being achieved by peaceful protest alone.

There are plenty of examples of movements which used a combination of peaceful protest and direct action but the direct action has been airbrushed out and sanitised by people who want to piously preach about the value of peaceful protest. 

For example progress on women’s rights, civil rights, LGBT rights, disability rights and opposing apartheid was not and would never have been achieved by peaceful protest alone. If you believe any of those were, it may be worth brushing up on your history.

Out of likes. Going to subscribe now to otib, but fully agree. 

16 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Incidentally, if anyone wants an example, here is why we have laws outlawing disability discrimination in the UK:

(Spoiler: it was not because people wrote polite letters to their MPs)

15 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Ghandi and Martin Luther King didn't do too bad with peaceful protest though. Maybe a brush up on your history.

Just now, Redrascal2 said:

Ghandi and Martin Luther King didn't do too bad with peaceful protest though. Maybe a brush up on your history.

I did. Hence why I know you misunderstand the tactics Ghandi used (direct action, not peaceful protest) and why I know there was a lot of direct action going on alongside Martin Luther King’s peaceful protests. 

You’ve chosen two examples I had  in mind when I said social change has not been achieved by peaceful protest alone. It might be worth actually researching both Ghandi did and what happened in the civil rights movement as you are completely wrong in thinking either was solely down to peaceful protest. I am afraid it is your history - and not mine - that needs brushing up on.

28 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Nelson Mandela, another well known "peaceful" protestor that achieved major societal and political change.

You've got to be kidding ?

See also Gerry Adams, I suppose??! 

I really like this from united fans, but the thing that troubles me is the glazers are obviously corrupt and bad for Manchester United, but the scale of how this has affected united, who sit 2nd in the sky bet Premier League, spending £80m on a  walking brick is absolutely nothing compared to other clubs with far worse owners, the Allams at Hull, have publicly stated they hate the club and have sunk FA Cup finalists to league 1 (glad they're back up now - up the tigers), and Wigan, whose owner bought the club with a bet that they would be relegated already made, they also are in league 1. Bury, whose owner promised to recover the club from serious debt, well, they're currently liquidated and in the 10th tier of football. Yet no United fan will care one bit about these clubs, no mentions of them will be on the news, and no outrage on social media will occur. Thank god we have Steve Lansdown.

1 hour ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

On one hand there's a right to protest. 

On the other hand there's overstepped the mark. 

Overstepping the mark in this case is assaulting police, breaking into the ground and causing others injury amongst a myriad of other things. 

All it does is make regulations at footy more draconian, all because people couldn't control themselves and went completely ott. 

That's not fandom, it's thuggery dressed up as fans.

Rubbish Day for football tbh 

Thank goodness for commonsense & common sense.

Some of the SKY pundits have indirectly whipped this insurrection up - fair shout to Souness as the only real voice of reason not pandering to the baying mob.

Despite what Shankly said all those years ago, Football really isn't & never will be.

For the ignorant & irresponsible may I remind you of the following as a consequence of today's events:

police officer suffered a "significant slash wound to his face" and required emergency hospital treatment following protests against the owners of Manchester United at Old Trafford.

Looks to me like the protesters have done a good job of getting their voices heard and after their owners tried to reshape football with no consultation I think that's much needed. Not sure if it will be very effective in bringing lasting change in terms of how their club is run but credit to the people for damaging the prospects of the European Super League further and showing how fan action can be used to harm the owners pockets when they damage the sport. Some might choose to focus on the violence which was obviously wrong but overall I think the vast majority of football fans will side the protesters here.

Shocking scenes really. They obviously love the club if they're prepared to break in, trample on the pitch and assault stewards. Ironically, they'll likely be banned for life now. It strikes me as very strange timing when United are second in the league with one of the most expensively assembled squads in football.

• Admin
3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Ah come on. Surely a nice polite letter respectfully requesting the Glazers don’t join any more breakaway leagues would have had just as much impact as fans storming a stadium and stopping a major game going ahead...

Empty stadiums once fans are allowed back might be more effective.  Not sure how fans ‘owning’ the game are going to afford those players salaries.  ManU fans didn’t protest when they were winning everything…….

• Admin
2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the Wee Donkey. How can you not know what Line Of Duty is?

BBC Drama that has the highest viewing figures in fifteen years. Finale is tonight.

He’s not alone, never seen it, know nothing about it.

2 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Empty stadiums once fans are allowed back might be more effective.  Not sure how fans ‘owning’ the game are going to afford those players salaries.  ManU fans didn’t protest when they were winning everything…….

The billionaires who run the clubs can't afford the salaries either. The fact that Real Madrid and Barcelona can't run at a profit despite being the two biggest clubs in the world is literally the reason why the ESL happened, and the fact that the owners of Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Juventus etc. can't make money from the game is why other teams joined the plans. 

Empty stadiums are an idea but the risk is they actually represent the fans handing over the negotiating chips. If the fans won't show then why take their views into account? 

Archived