IGNORED

Autograph request gone wrong.

Oh Louie louie

I can remember coming home from school, and David Webb, the ex chelsea defender was in the car park, deep in conversation, with somebody.

I think he was southend boss at the time.

A fellow pupil said webby, could you sign this.

Say fing please, or i sign the back of your fing throat sunshine he said!

I think it was because he was talking, he reacted, like that, but he still signed it and, he was smiling after.

Walshy always had a big beaming smile when he signed i recall.

Anybody else had a autograph request go south?

11 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I can remember coming home from school, and David Webb, the ex chelsea defender was in the car park, deep in conversation, with somebody.

I think he was southend boss at the time.

A fellow pupil said webby, could you sign this.

Say fing please, or i sign the back of your fing throat sunshine he said!

I think it was because he was talking, he reacted, like that, but he still signed it and, he was smiling after.

Walshy always had a big beaming smile when he signed i recall.

Anybody else had a autograph request go south?

I always try to be polite when people ask for mine.

It wasn’t a request that went wrong but a surprise for me.

It was Notts County away.

I had my programme in hand and just at that moment I saw , all alone, ‘God ‘ Taylor. Just walking in the direction of the ground like an ordinary human being. 

I surprised myself by asking him for his autograph and he signed my programme ( which I still have to this very day) .

I don’t remember much about the match but I am sure he scored at least a hat trick.

:yes:

Not football but I can remember Geoff Boycott being the opposite of smiling, willing Albert Adomah.

A group of kids looking for an autograph was frequently turned down with a few choice words. TBF I think he would put by a few minutes after play but any other time.....beware!

May 9th 1999 (22 years ago!!) I was ballboy at Ashton gate on the last day of the season. Relegation was already assured however we won the game against Norwich 1-0 with the only goal scored by one Lorenzo pinamonte.

when the players were coming off the pitch I asked Lorenzo for his shirt to which he declined. I hope he still treasures this shirt otherwise he upset a 10 year old for no reason

1 hour ago, Banned User said:

I can’t say I’m much for autographs but Albert Adomah would go out of his way to come down, sign autographs and have a chat with the kids etcetera almost every single home game, great guy.

A top man is Albert. When he came back to AG with Boro (the game where he shanked one over the bar when it was easier to score but I still maintain he couldn`t bring himself to!) a young lad at the front of the SS asked him for his autograph while he was warming up and he signed his Boro training top and gave it to him.

One player who will always get a round of applause from me whenever he steps out at AG, players like him are what the game should be about.

6 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

May 9th 1999 (22 years ago!!) I was ballboy at Ashton gate on the last day of the season. Relegation was already assured however we won the game against Norwich 1-0 with the only goal scored by one Lorenzo pinamonte.

when the players were coming off the pitch I asked Lorenzo for his shirt to which he declined. I hope he still treasures this shirt otherwise he upset a 10 year old for no reason

Joe got Martin Paterson’s shirt at the end of 13/14 season.  He just walked over, handed it to Joe and said “you can have it, sorry, I’ve been shit in it”.

I attended one of those pre season open days with my sons when Steve Brooker was in his pomp, getting anyone  remotely connected to the club to sign.

Recently found said autograph book and flicking through the pages most autographs appear to be a series of Egyptian hieroglyphic and absolutely no idea the player's name - ones which are legible are Cole Skuse and Steve Brooker as for the rest not a clue.

As an aside got Steve L's autograph and unlike the player's bold full page scribbles his was neat and tidy the size of a postage stamp with Steve L written clearly underneath  for identification purposes.

Make of that what you will.

When I went to my first City home game in approx 1960'ish I asked a guy to sign my autograph book & it was none other than Big John Atyeo, my mate said afterwards "I thought he looked familiar". I'll always remember him chatting to us & asking how far we'd travelled to watch.

37 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

A top man is Albert. When he came back to AG with Boro (the game where he shanked one over the bar when it was easier to score but I still maintain he couldn`t bring himself to!) a young lad at the front of the SS asked him for his autograph while he was warming up and he signed his Boro training top and gave it to him.

One player who will always get a round of applause from me whenever he steps out at AG, players like him are what the game should be about.

What I loved even more about Albert is that he’d come over to the City fans after the game even at away games....lovely guy, and clearly Has a very soft spot for City. 

Never got many autographs, I have City from 74 & Gillingham from when Mike Gibson joined them, both through my Dad's mate. In fact I can only remember getting a few Chelsea players when their reserves played at Eastville. Ina Britton, John Dempsey , possibly Marvin Hinton and Peter Bonetti, few names for the kids there.
My one that went wrong, and I'm still not 100% sure who the players were. Watching the West Indies tour match at the County ground. We always blagged our way into the Pavilion, so end of session the players obviously came towards us. I think there were 3 of us, around 14/15 years old and as the players came off, 3 came over. I think it may have been Gordon Grenidge, Deryck Murray and possibly Van Holder, I walked up, ask for an autograph and without saying a word the three stared at us and we meekly stepped back out of their way and they went into the Pavilion. TBF they had always intimidated the English batsmen, so 3 little ***** wanting autographs a stare was enough. 

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

Not football but I can remember Geoff Boycott being the opposite of smiling, willing Albert Adomah.

A group of kids looking for an autograph was frequently turned down with a few choice words. TBF I think he would put by a few minutes after play but any other time.....beware!

My Dad had exactly that experience when he was a kid and asked Boycott for an autograph.

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

What I loved even more about Albert is that he’d come over to the City fans after the game even at away games....lovely guy, and clearly Has a very soft spot for City. 

He`s a player who never loses sight of how lucky he is to be playing professional football (I know there is a ton of hard work and dedication involved too, it`s not just luck!) and never forgets where he came from. He was a painter & decorator when he was playing for Barnet and no doubt is grateful to us for giving him his big break so to speak.

He also knows what we think of him too and is never shy about giving a bit back if the opportunity arises. The game would be a much better place if there were more like him in it. If only more players played with a smile on their faces like he does.

After Buster Footman's testimonial at Clevedon Town's ground a group of players past and present and a few others gathered in the bar.

I was doing the rounds for autographs and approached Alan Walsh who had been chatting to Jimmie Lumsden. 

Walsh signed my programme and then handed it to Lumsden to sign which he did. Someone else then asked Lumsden to sign theirs.

I remember Lumsden turning to Walsh and saying "I've never been asked to sign so many autographs, the last time I was here they couldn't wait to see the back of me"

Archived