IGNORED

Autograph request gone wrong.

Oh Louie louie

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

My Dad had exactly that experience when he was a kid and asked Boycott for an autograph.

Fred Trueman at County ground, Bristol refused all requests. Turned out that he never signed for anyone.

But got Denis Compton and Bill Edrich when Middlesex were there the year after we got the Ashes back in 1953 whe Compton scored the winning run. They told all the kids to get in a line and stood for half an hour signing.

Not an ‘ autograph ‘ story but a brush with fame.

I was out in Cannes with two young colleagues when they went all ‘ gooey ‘ and excitable. 

They kept repeating ‘ Black eyed Peas, black eyed peas ‘ .

‘Black eyed peas in the Kebab shop ‘

Now I am  pretty much ‘ up wiv da youf’ , as you’d expect , but I’d never heard of this group and was equally baffled that they served black eyed peas in a kebab shop .

A rather disorientating moment was had by yours truly.

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I can’t remember the details, but an England squad came to Ashton Gate (for a training session?) around the time we won the World Cup. I got Alf Ramsey and Alan Ball to sign my autograph book and was proud as punch.

It was a training session prior to the Home International match away to Wales.

I got a few autographs, including Ralph Coates - what a fantastic comb over haircut - and Alan Ball, whose voice was probably even more high-pitched than mine and I think I was still in primary school at the time!

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It was a training session prior to the Home International match away to Wales.

I got a few autographs, including Ralph Coates - what a fantastic comb over haircut - and Alan Ball, whose voice was probably even more high-pitched than mine and I think I was still in primary school at the time!

Wow, I might even have bumped into you way back then!!

I did 2 weeks of work experience in the community department at city back in the 90s,when Dave Bell was running it. 

Part of the experience was going out to schools and doing coaching sessions. Was given the training kit of the time when we went to these schools, so as not disappoint the kids, who think they were being coached by someone at Bristol City, not some work experience kid. They all obviously fell for it, had to sign hundreds of autographs over that fortnight. Kids shirts, team photos, the lot! When asked who I was in the team photo, I pretended I was Darren Barnard, as I had middle parting curtains too! 

I still miss the amateur anarchy of the Weston Cricket Festival, where some of the worlds best cricketers would regularly have to leave the security of the hopelessly small village pavilion to access luxuries like the toilets and the refreshment tent. I successfully wore down Botham and Richards by sheer persistence, but was brutally knocked back by Bob Willis, who obviously needed a slash more than the chance to give his autograph to an obsessive teenager.

Kate Bush in the foyer of the Holiday Inn was rushing through to her soundcheck at the Bristol Hippodrome. Stopped to sign my LP but her body guards pushed her past my two mates saying she didn't have time to stop. All quite unnecessary.

53 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Fred Trueman at County ground, Bristol refused all requests. Turned out that he never signed for anyone.

But got Denis Compton and Bill Edrich when Middlesex were there the year after we got the Ashes back in 1953 whe Compton scored the winning run. They told all the kids to get in a line and stood for half an hour signing.

Use to go to the sixs at Failand, did ask Fred don't think he signed. But Colin Cowdery who was well known for his big feet. Did sign for me, with one of his big feet with cricket shoes. On top of my small little feet. Neither of us said a word.

5 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I can remember coming home from school, and David Webb, the ex chelsea defender was in the car park, deep in conversation, with somebody.

I think he was southend boss at the time.

A fellow pupil said webby, could you sign this.

Say fing please, or i sign the back of your fing throat sunshine he said!

I think it was because he was talking, he reacted, like that, but he still signed it and, he was smiling after.

Walshy always had a big beaming smile when he signed i recall.

Anybody else had a autograph request go south?

Yes, the Goodies were filming in Paignton where I grew up as a kid (up until 11 anyway).  Top end of Laura Grove if I remember rightly.  Anyway, that's immaterial.

My sister took me up there as I must have been 9 at the time.  All three of the Goodies were there and I managed to get Graeme Garden's and Tim Brooke-Taylors' without any fuss at all.  Bill Oddie, my favourite at the time, told me to "F@$% off".

Bit rude.

1 minute ago, Sir Geoff said:

Kate Bush in the foyer of the Holiday Inn was rushing through to her soundcheck at the Bristol Hippodrome. Stopped to sign my LP but her body guards pushed her past my two mates saying she didn't have time to stop. All quite unnecessary.

Love Kate Bush, would have been too upset for words.

Once at the stage door at the Colston Hall i got a autograph and a kiss on the cheek from Marianne Faithfull. But Chuck Berry turned up after the show had started with a couple of other guys and had to wait for someone to open the door. I asked him a few times but he just gazed into space. What a great musician, but i always held that refusal against him.

Went to a school fete when I was a kid and the guest of honour was HRH Alan Dicks.I won one of those footballs that when you kick them,go forwards three feet,then backwards three hundred feet.Mr Dicks kindly signed my football. When I got home I got my next door neighbours out,who were also City fans.I showed them my newly acquired pride and joy and a kick about was on the cards.I took the first kick and the ball ricocheted left,right and centre then rolled straight under my dads car,still hot from our return journey,and proceeded to melt itself firmly onto the hot exhaust pipe.

22 minutes ago, Vespa Red said:

Yes, the Goodies were filming in Paignton where I grew up as a kid (up until 11 anyway).  Top end of Laura Grove if I remember rightly.  Anyway, that's immaterial.

My sister took me up there as I must have been 9 at the time.  All three of the Goodies were there and I managed to get Graeme Garden's and Tim Brooke-Taylors' without any fuss at all.  Bill Oddie, my favourite at the time, told me to "F@$% off".

Bit rude.

I’ve heard other stories of Bill Oddie being rude.....might’ve been one of those red chair stories on Graham Norton.

As a kid I went to an England vs India test match, I  think it was me first game of cricket watched, so I had no idea who any of the Indian players were. England were in the field and I saw a load of men dressed in Indian training wear, I raced down the stairs and asked the first one for an autograph, he shook his head and gestured me back, but I persisted, his mate then told me he was the first teams sport scientists, the whole of the stand erupted in laughter. My dad included.

40 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Must say in her late 70s pomp, I would have loved to have guarded Kates body ?

I was a VIP at the unveiling of Gordon Banks statue at Stoke City’s ground - alongside some distinguished guests of Pele, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Ralf Little, Shane Ward and Kevin Webster of Corrie.

Anyhow, I thought I would buy a Brazil shirt and get Pele to sign it not knowing that while i was a VIP and able to mix it with Ralf, Shane and Kevin Webster, Pele and  the Archbishop were in the Super VIP section meaning we could not get access to them.

We were also warned off approaching him as he doesn’t like autograph hunters. Anyhow resigned to not being able to get my shirt signed me and a few of the lads went to get a pint just before we were about to get seated, as the beers are being poured Pele walks straight past us in the bar and stops briefly to shake our hands - there he was stood right in front of me but I left that bloody shirt and pen back at the table!!!

Remember getting David Broome's autograph at the Bath and West show with one of those crappy old biros, that leaked all over his hand.

He was seriously pissed off, think he got it on his his shirt cuffs.

34 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Never thought I would hear this on here. Swindon's forum maybe......

Oh yeh: just seen what I did there.  Whoops.

Just as well I didn't tell you about the time I took her up the Cheddar Gorge...

Archived