IGNORED

Four players needed in the summer

And Its Smith

I think there are a lot of good opinions in this post and some good transfer options have been mentioned, however we also need a huge slice of luck regarding injuries.

We missed some good players for long periods of this season and whilst our overall performances were very poor, it certainly wasn't helped by losing Mawson, Baker, Dasilva, Williams and Weimann etc

In response to the OP, we need at least 2 physical, experienced defenders, an experienced leader in midfield and a couple of attacking options. I know its been mentioned before but i'd like to see Vyner have a go at right back too. He's impressed me this season but i'm not convinced he's dominant enough to be a centre back, or techical enough to play centre mid. Maybe, he doesn't want to play there but it's certainly worth exploring.

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

So what do you do with a player who doesn't want to sign a new deal with 12 months left who you can get a couple of million for during the middle of a year where you've had less income?

You get value out of them on the pitch apparently. At least according to Ipswich Town's exciting new CEO.

14 hours ago, joshbristol said:

I believe we need more than just the 4 new players .

release : adelakun , hunt ,rowe , Lansbury ,mariappa, Paterson ,fam , baker , gilmartin,watkins 

offer walsh new terms 

nagy and moore can also leave for a small fee 

Keep:

Goalkeeper:Bentley,O’Leary 

defenders: pring ,dasilva,Kalas, vyner , cundy

midfielders:O’Dowda,Williams ,walsh ,bakinson,massengo,Palmer, 

forwards: wells weimann Martin semenyo 

Try and get sess on another season long loan dont think we have seen the best of him.

Keep integrating the youngster into the first team .

think we need 3 defenders 

at least 1 winger if not 2  and a dominating centre mid 

1 proven goalscorer 

6/7 new players and get rid of the dead wood...

You make some interesting observations - but I really can’t agree with your assertion that we should get rid of our best defender (Baker) for nowt whilst only requesting a ‘small fee’ for someone to take Nagy from us, the guy has performed very well recently and is looking like the player we hoped we’d signed ...

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You make some interesting observations - but I really can’t agree with your assertion that we should get rid of our best defender (Baker) for nowt whilst only requesting a ‘small fee’ for someone to take Nagy from us, the guy has performed very well recently and is looking like the player we hoped we’d signed ...

Agree on Nagy in particular. I get the idea we might need to sell a couple of players we can get good offers for in order to reshape the squad, and Nagy could put himself in demand with a good Euros, but he’s not someone I would sell unless the offer was a good enough one to both replace him and strengthen another position.

He has looked good in a more attacking role in the last few weeks and, in a season where our midfield have struggled, we tend to look better with him on the pitch than off it.

I don‘t think he dominates games and I think he is one of a number of players who would benefit from more leaders on the pitch but he is far from being one of our biggest problems and certainly isn’t someone I see as a priority to move on.

8 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Anyone who thinks Bentley might stay is at best ultra hopeful!

Economics might dictate that he does. He is a player under contract who we would likely want a substantial fee for in a depressed market.

If someone is willing to offer nine million upwards then he will go. If someone offers six or more and he wants to go, then maybe he will go.

But I can easily see a scenario where the offers do not come in.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Economics might dictate that he does. He is a player under contract who we would likely want a substantial fee for in a depressed market.

If someone is willing to offer nine million upwards then he will go. If someone offers six or more and he wants to go, then maybe he will go.

But I can easily see a scenario where the offers do not come in.

I wouldn't be paying £9m cash for Dan Bentley. However if I was recruiting for a Premier League club I would take a £5m punt or maybe £3m plus one of my second/third choice keepers donated in our direction.....if the deal was getting significantly North of £6m I certainly wouldn't proceed with it.

On 03/05/2021 at 08:35, And Its Smith said:

I don’t see how we need ten players as a lot seem to be suggesting.  The play offs will not be a realistic target given the massive number of players leaving but with four new players and using the youth players we can really start building

Release: Hunt, Baker, Diedhiou, Paterson, Watkins, Lansbury, Mariappa, Simpson, Adelakun, Sessegnon

Loan out: Palmer, Towler

Sign: right back, centre back, midfielder, striker

New contract: Walsh

This assumes that Wells will stick around as will be hard to sell him.  Maybe a loan out and then buy two strikers.

Bentley, O’Leary, Wollocott

NEW RB, Dasilva, Pring, NEW CB, Kalas, Moore, Vyner, Cundy

NEW MF,Bakinson, Massengo, Nagy, Walsh, Williams,

Scott, O’Dowda, Weimann, Pearson, Bell, Semenyo

NEW ST, Martin, Wells, Conway

As soon as I saw O'Dowda in your squad you lost me 

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

I wouldn't be paying £9m cash for Dan Bentley. However if I was recruiting for a Premier League club I would take a £5m punt or maybe £3m plus one of my second/third choice keepers donated in our direction.....if the deal was getting significantly North of £6m I certainly wouldn't proceed with it.

And this is why I think he might stay. I agree that I wouldn't pay more than £6 million if I were a Premier League club but, due to the difficulty of finding of a replacement of the same quality elsewhere and need to strengthen elsewhere, I don't see why we would accept less than £8 million. So it might be there is no deal that can be done. 

Archived