IGNORED

Cult Hero’s

51 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

John Palmer 

Remember him well. Did he only play one game? TC got him from Weston. Tried hard but didn't quite have it.

My top choice is obviously Big John having seen his first, last games and hundreds in between.

But so many others. In view of the wimpish shower we have this season, I'll pick someone from the 1950's whose passion and commitment to City was worth today's entire eleven on the pitch. Ernie "Ginger" Peacock.

Greg Goodridge

David Noble

Matt Smith

Tony Rougier (or his brother Anthony) 

David Seal

Ivan Testemitanu

Junior Bent

Louie Donowa

Keith Welch

Matty Taylor

All names I think of that fit the bill that won't get mentioned too much. (I think Jacki and JET are the 2 ultimate cult heroes)

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

How can someone who played nearly 400 games for us & is universally considered an all time great, be a cult hero?

Cult in this case means an opinion that isn’t widely held, Nicky Morgan (fantastic player, few mention) for instance.

Picking Gow is like saying The Beatles were a cult band.

Nicky Morgan. ?

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Niche, mate.

Presumably not the one who got hold of all that stolen gold?

Anyway, Simon Panes..

Always remember him though. he came on as a sub and as soon as he ran on the pitch the ref blew the final whistle. 

Steve Jones 

Junior Bent

Dave Smith

Bas Savage

Jacki

JET

Goodridge

Shaun Goater

Donowa

Glenn Humphries

Shaun Taylor

All with varying degrees of talent, commitment and number of games for City, but all remembered fondly.

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Always remember him though. he came on as a sub and as soon as he ran on the pitch the ref blew the final whistle. 

I remember the game he had a shot (might possibly have been his only start) & pre Atyeo stand days & the ball went so far over the bar it probably ended up in Ashton Park.

He was shite.

In football, a "cult hero" is someone who is a bit rubbish, but loved anyway. So not Big John, Gerry Gow, Bob Taylor. Moyesie might be the closest to this definition. He was loved here for his effort and enthusiasm for playing for us. 

In pop music, "cult hero" status used to be applied to a largely unknown band with low record sales but critically acclaimed songs, loved by those "in the know." A band like Big Star might meet this criteria.

Archived