Jump to content
IGNORED

Cult Hero’s


Recommended Posts

Just watching the Match of the Day top 10 episode on Cult Hero’s (a great series if you’ve not watched it), and was thinking who my top 10 City cult hero’s are.  Here’s mine in no particular order:

1) Scott Murray

2) Adriano Basso

3) Jackie Dzachinovski (I can’t remember how to spell it sorry)

4) Aden Flint

5) JET

6) Tinnion

7) Tommy Doc

8 ) Mickey Bell

9) Bas Savage (for all the wrong reasons!)

10) Albert Adomah

Edited by Tinmans Love Child
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shouldn't you take club legends out of a cult hero talk when just talking about City, cult heros would be more Bas Savage, Arnold Garita as fevs put, Magnússon because of his long throw, JET, Bolasie, Stead?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only two for me - the finest player I’ve seen in a City shirt - Gerry Gow and the most thrilling of them all Scot Murray - he used to get me out of my seat when he had the ball. A terrific player.

Both cult heroes to me.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Only two for me - the finest player I’ve seen in a City shirt - Gerry Gow and the most thrilling of them all Scot Murray - he used to get me out of my seat when he had the ball. A terrific player.

Both cult heroes to me.

Norman Hunter ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Only two for me - the finest player I’ve seen in a City shirt - Gerry Gow and the most thrilling of them all Scot Murray - he used to get me out of my seat when he had the ball. A terrific player.

Both cult heroes to me.

How can someone who played nearly 400 games for us & is universally considered an all time great, be a cult hero?

Cult in this case means an opinion that isn’t widely held, Nicky Morgan (fantastic player, few mention) for instance.

Picking Gow is like saying The Beatles were a cult band.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

How can someone who played nearly 400 games for us & is universally considered an all time great, be a cult hero?

Cult in this case means an opinion that isn’t widely held, Nicky Morgan (fantastic player, few mention) for instance.

Picking Gow is like saying The Beatles were a cult band.

Who any City fan considers any player to be a cult hero is entirely subjective Graham............:cool2:

Your cult heroes will be different to mine.

The two I mentioned were terrific players, one combative and creative and the other pacy with quick feet and an eye for a goal.

Both provided fantastic entertainment - sadly missing this season.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't really have footballing heroes. A hero to me is someone who goes above and beyond the requirement and few have done that. Burt Trautman perhaps who played a large part of a cup final with a broken neck (not that he knew): Franz Beckenbauer coming back onto the field in a WC semi final for West Germany with his arm in a sling: or maybe Terry Butcher soldiering on for England sporting a head band dripping with blood. There are many though that I greatly admire and in a City context these would include in no particular order: Gerry Gow, Jack Connor, Jantzen Derrick, John Atyeo, John Galley and the entire Ashton Gate 8.

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Typo alteration
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Famara would've been added to that category if things had not been so abject at the end. In my opinion, if he moves to Boro, it would be another black mark against his name in my opinion as it shows things aren't necessarily about playing in the top flight in the UK or abroad but purely financial. Although he would've got paid handsomely in Turkey, he would be playing in the top flight and it would've been a chance to get a little coverage. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

11) Arnold Garita

Beat me to it but I'll throw in:

12) What's that coming over the hill? Is it [Enoch] Showunmi? Showunmi?

Jokes aside, I think Basso is probably our greatest cult hero. Good enough of a player to get proper recognition, but fans of other teams have no clue who he is. Never 'did it' for another club either - he's basically ours and ours alone. Some proper personality on and on off the pitch, a little bit mental, and I don't know why but I just feel that eccentric foreign players make the best cult heroes.

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Who any City fan considers any player to be a cult hero is entirely subjective Graham............:cool2:

Your cult heroes will be different to mine.

The two I mentioned were terrific players, one combative and creative and the other pacy with quick feet and an eye for a goal.

Both provided fantastic entertainment - sadly missing this season.

So...Gow and Murray are your heroes. Not your cult heroes.

  • Like 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...