IGNORED

A for our older members...question

22A

This view is from the 40's after WW2. When did such scenes get stopped please; the 50's or early 60's?

Similarly as cricket matches, when were accompanied children banned from sitting on the grass outside of the boundry rope?

image.png.4c2f19a6abeda903c656b7a234a03f0a.png

image.png.e3b0d064876e9ac50fe8d852d445b06b.png

3 minutes ago, 22A said:

This view is from the 40's after WW2. When did such scenes get stopped please; the 50's or early 60's?

Similarly as cricket matches, when were accompanied children banned from sitting on the grass outside of the boundry rope?

image.png.4c2f19a6abeda903c656b7a234a03f0a.png

image.png.e3b0d064876e9ac50fe8d852d445b06b.png

Went to the B&H final at Lords 81/82? There were young Notts fans in Robin Hood costumes sat behind the boundery rope.. 

I'm old !  But not that old too remember scenes like that ?  I am guessing you would need a forum user to be in his 80's now to recall scenes like that !

(I note 22A you are in Peterborough. My fav away game with hordes of relatives who live in that area & generations of posh fans. I am always welcome looked after when I go to London Road !)

Can't answer your questions but would guess in the 1960's or even 1970's.

I sat on the grass at Nevil Road to see 1953 Aussies v Glos. Headmaster at BGS gave us a day off to go. Glos won toss which meant I was able to see Lindwall and Miller open the bowling - a big thrill for me as I wanted to be a fast bowler. Skinny arms let me down.

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Can't answer your questions but would guess in the 1960's or even 1970's.

I sat on the grass at Nevil Road to see 1953 Aussies v Glos. Headmaster at BGS gave us a day off to go. Glos won toss which meant I was able to see Lindwall and Miller open the bowling - a big thrill for me as I wanted to be a fast bowler. Skinny arms let me down.

If you started drinking in the Skinny Arms when you were still at school you only have yourself to blame for not making it as a fast bowler!

The half time scores A B C D etc were around Ashton Gate when I first started in 1958 as were the seats for the Bus Drivers and Conductors. We knew game was close to ending when they streamed out, little bit like the Dolman ?

29 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

The half time scores A B C D etc were around Ashton Gate when I first started in 1958 as were the seats for the Bus Drivers and Conductors. We knew game was close to ending when they streamed out, little bit like the Dolman ?

... plus the light blue, single seat 'invalid vehicles' used by disabled drivers, parked around the ring-side.

36 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

I started watching in the early 60's and I'm sure that by then the A, B, C, D ht score board was on the pitch-side wall of the open end.

1 minute ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I started watching in the early 60's and I'm sure that by then the A, B, C, D ht score board was on the pitch-side wall of the open end.

Yes I think it was, I was in the East End then and could see it from there, cant recall if there was one on the East End wall so the open enders could see.

4 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I think it was still there right up to when the Atyeo was built and I have a vague recollection of it being moved to the EE after that.

Edit: just seen @oldstandrobin`s post above so there were probably two of them.

42 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

No, Dolman is out far earlier than the bus men used to be.

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

@Robbored we need your advice

Cheeky git!

You’re the same age as me.

I remember the ABCE boards being low down and the guy would come out with the half time scores that corresponded the legend in the programme - well before the internet but some fans had transitors small enough to carry in their pocket. 

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Cheeky git!

You’re the same age as me.

I remember the ABCE boards being low down and the guy would come out with the half time scores that corresponded the legend in the programme - well before the internet but some fans had transitors small enough to carry in their pocket. 

At least your memory is still reasonably intact !!

8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

The worst crush I remember at home was Liverpool in 77. That was insane. Muller Road end when Hirst scored that goal was on a similar level!

is that the one where steve heighway tore us apart with a fantastic solo effort?

38 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

is that the one where steve heighway tore us apart with a fantastic solo effort?

We won 2:1 Garland, thus setting up Coventry Away. You know I can’t remember who got their goal strangely. They had just won the league!!

11 hours ago, REDOXO said:

The worst crush I remember at home was Liverpool in 77. That was insane. Muller Road end when Hirst scored that goal was on a similar level!

From my recollection the Muller Road / Martyn Hirst crush could have gone so very wrong, there was a local ITV (then HTV) consumer rights contributor (forgotten his name) looking down on us from a platform nearby with a look of real worry on his face.

11 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Re, outfield, it was stopped in the late 80's at Nev Road, not for health and safty reasons as you may suppose, but.........................................people were obscuring the advertising hoardings  !

I was going to answer @22As original question by saying "television coverage"  which I guess is similar to your point. 

Regarding that picture, I suppose these things were stopped after several accidents, the Ibrox disaster being the most infamous, but I have recollections of seeing images of people falling through the roof's of various stands in the 60s and 70s.

I remember watching us at Swindle  in the late 60's sitting on "ringside seating infront of the Shrivenham Rd side, bench seats inside the perimeter wall, my Dad got a ball full in the face from a John Trollop clearance. I also remember another spectator having a player sliding into them....all good fun

Archived