IGNORED

A for our older members...question

22A

I remember the 15ers’ Alex Munroe’s failed attempt to separate Chris Crewe from his knees and instead sliding into the AG ringside seating in front of the enclosure thus breaking his own leg. Much respectful sympathy was shown from the home crowd as he was carried off iirc. :no:

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I remember the 15ers’ Alex Munroe’s failed attempt to separate Chris Crewe from his knees and instead sliding into the AG ringside seating in front of the enclosure thus breaking his own leg. Much respectful sympathy was shown from the home crowd as he was carried off iirc. :no:

How interesting.

I was at the match and would have sworn it was down in the corner where the East End meets what was then the Williams stand.

Still, memory fades, but I can't forget how dirty AM was, together with a later Rovers player, Ian Alexander.

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

How interesting.

I was at the match and would have sworn it was down in the corner where the East End meets what was then the Williams stand.

Still, memory fades, but I can't forget how dirty AM was, together with a later Rovers player, Ian Alexander.

In my mind, it wasn't right in the corner, Phil. Probably in line with the edge of the penalty area at the EE? You're right, Munroe and Alexander were thugs though!

13 hours ago, REDOXO said:

The worst crush I remember at home was Liverpool in 77. That was insane. Muller Road end when Hirst scored that goal was on a similar level!

The aftermath of that Liverpool match was crazy. People climbing over cars parked outside the ground. Police horses making the crush worse.

I experienced a larger crush though attending England v Scotland at Wembley. The famous '77 match where the Scots won and took the goalposts home with them!

You shuffled the Wembley Mile to the ground over a carpet of flattened McEwens cans. Literally every Jock there was pissed out of their mind. It took ages to get to the ground and when I did, I saw numerous inebriated Highlanders climbing the sides of Wembley on rope ladders made from their mates' scarves.

A modern Health & Safety rep would be having a heart attack!

4 hours ago, Floatn Over said:

From my recollection the Muller Road / Martyn Hirst crush could have gone so very wrong, there was a local ITV (then HTV) consumer rights contributor (forgotten his name) looking down on us from a platform nearby with a look of real worry on his face.

My old man was going under. I had to stop celebrating and grab his arm and pull him up, luckily some bloke saw us and grabbed him too!...There are quite a few stories of injuries on here!

3 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I thought his name was Chris Crowe?   but I was only 6 at the time!

13 hours ago, Galway Red said:

Don't think Highway was there then, it might of been quarter final of cup in '74 you' re thinking about? 

i cant remember,i was in the eastend with my older brother,heighway did half the length of the pitch solo and scored. my memories shot but i thought we lost 1-0

i just found it on some statto site. wrong season and result. it was 77-78 and we drew 1-1.

11 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

The aftermath of that Liverpool match was crazy. People climbing over cars parked outside the ground. Police horses making the crush worse.

I experienced a larger crush though attending England v Scotland at Wembley. The famous '77 match where the Scots won and took the goalposts home with them!

You shuffled the Wembley Mile to the ground over a carpet of flattened McEwens cans. Literally every Jock there was pissed out of their mind. It took ages to get to the ground and when I did, I saw numerous inebriated Highlanders climbing the sides of Wembley on rope ladders made from their mates' scarves.

A modern Health & Safety rep would be having a heart attack!

I was at that match! It was mad! I bought tickets through City: the FA gave all 92 clubs an allocation, so I went in the belief that I’d be in an area of the ground with other England fans. No chance! It felt like me and my mate and about 20,000 drunk Scots, and no chance of disguising my Bristol accent. All very good natured though - at least, I think it was - most of them made Joe Jordan seem entirely coherent! 

The bar was hilarious. They’d order 20 beers, then a whiskey and while the server went to the other end of the bar to get it the tray full of beers would just be taken away!

Like you, I remember efforts to climb the walls of Wembley to get in. How there wasn’t a death I’ve no idea! 

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

I was at that match! It was mad! I bought tickets through City: the FA gave all 92 clubs an allocation, so I went in the belief that I’d be in an area of the ground with other England fans. No chance! It felt like me and my mate and about 20,000 drunk Scots, and no chance of disguising my Bristol accent. All very good natured though - at least, I think it was - most of them made Joe Jordan seem entirely coherent! 

The bar was hilarious. They’d order 20 beers, then a whiskey and while the server went to the other end of the bar to get it the tray full of beers would just be taken away!

Like you, I remember efforts to climb the walls of Wembley to get in. How there wasn’t a death I’ve no idea! 

Although we lost, it was an amazing football occasion.

My experiences were similar to yours. Surrounded by completely plastered sweaties,  I got soaked with beer by exuberant arm waving when they forgot they had a plastic glass of whatever shite Wembley served back then. 

There was no needle though. One kilted chap came up to us afterwards to commiserate and said "Hard times, fellas. Ye hud nae breaks at all."

Rod Stewart was sat two rows in front of us. Amid all the ordinary Scots' fans. In the row behind us must've been one of Britain's fattest men. He took up three seats. Amazed he survived the excitement!

12 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

i cant remember,i was in the eastend with my older brother,heighway did half the length of the pitch solo and scored. my memories shot but i thought we lost 1-0

i just found it on some statto site. wrong season and result. it was 77-78 and we drew 1-1.

Fair enough, thinking about it I think it was Toshack who knocked us out of the cup in '74

On 03/05/2021 at 20:49, slartibartfast said:

Re, outfield, it was stopped in the late 80's at Nev Road, not for health and safty reasons as you may suppose, but.........................................people were obscuring the advertising hoardings  !

Watched a quarter final,B and H cup ?,in 1977,not sure who it was against,sat around the boundary, leaning against the advertising board.Put sun cream on my face,but unfortunately not on my neck,sun reflected off of said boarding on to my neck, worst sunburn I’ve ever had.Still the mighty Glos won and went on to win the cup,PROCTERSHIRE la la la.?

On 04/05/2021 at 09:07, Rudolf Hucker said:

I was there. I've seen and heard quite a few leg breaks but that one was the most deserved.

He had tried several times before the broken leg to put Crowe into orbit. No sympathy with him then or now.

11 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I was there. I've seen and heard quite a few leg breaks but that one was the most deserved.

He had tried several times before the broken leg to put Crowe into orbit. No sympathy with him then or now.

His break was loud - probably rivalled only, in my mind, by Gerry Sharpe’s break caused by Boro’s Eric McMordie’s.

On 04/05/2021 at 08:21, Port Said Red said:

I was going to answer @22As original question by saying "television coverage"  which I guess is similar to your point. 

Regarding that picture, I suppose these things were stopped after several accidents, the Ibrox disaster being the most infamous, but I have recollections of seeing images of people falling through the roof's of various stands in the 60s and 70s.

And there was the notorious incident (around these parts, at least) when a Wolves fan fell through the roof at Scarborough in 1987. Ended up having to walk with the aid of crutches for the rest of his life.

On 04/05/2021 at 10:11, PHILINFRANCE said:

How interesting.

You are as correct as anyone can be as it was over fifty years ago. !966 or 1967? I was in the Boys Enclosure which was at the Covered End of the old Cowshed Stand and it was almost in line on the, later to be named, Williams stand.

Monro collided with the concrete and wood benches which were "Ringside" seats.

On 04/05/2021 at 01:36, Galway Red said:

Don't think Highway was there then, it might of been quarter final of cup in '74 you' re thinking about? 

The first time I "got something in my eye" at a football match as an 11 year old, I so thought we would beat them after beating Leeds the previous round, bloody Heighway!

Archived