Nige on Sound of the City with Geoff 6pm

2 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Hopefully this will be an end to how long the grass is, box entries etc and all the other BS that the players have been fed.

That’s stuff is still potentially important, it’s just not the be all and end all. As part of a proper manager’s armoury it could make a difference. 

• Like 3

Great interview I'm just impressed by the way he's going about things sounds so much more professional,I have a feeling that he will set up the club pretty much like in his Leicester days with the right staff.. I've really got a good feeling about this and the next few years. Nobody will step below a certain level to get us where we need to be. A team game not just the 11..  Onwards and upwards  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

You don’t think AS is quick? 

He is definitely pacy and Nige already knows that. I have a feeling that Semenyo will become a serious threat next season - watch this space...........:cool2:

Al bit worrying to relie on kids in championship though dont you think we definately need more bullies in the team .

14 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Al bit worrying to relie on kids in championship though dont you think we definately need more bullies in the team .

Of course Rob but I reckon that AS particularly will impress next season. Sure, he’s a young guy but has some Championship experience and if Nige uses his pace effectively he could make quite an impact.

Having listened to 20man interviewing Nige Im even more optimistic about next season. Nige is impressive,  thoughtful and clear about what he wants including more robust players with a balance of experience and young players.

He’s said before that he really doesn’t want to damage young players by giving them premature debuts but he’s had no other options but come next season most if not all of the unavailable players will be back - they will provide the experience.

Like all good managers he would not be drawn on which OOC players he’d like to keep, saying that he needed to have private conversations with all of them before it became public.

He comes over as a very professional guy.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Of course Rob but I reckon that AS particularly will impress next season. Sure, he’s a young guy but has some Championship experience and if Nige uses his pace effectively he could make quite an impact.

Having listened to 20man interviewing Nige Im even more optimistic about next season. Nige is impressive,  thoughtful and clear about what he wants including more robust players with a balance of experience and young players.

He’s said before that he really doesn’t want to damage young players by giving them premature debuts but he’s had no other options but come next season most if not all of the unavailable players will be back - they will provide the experience.

Like all good managers he would not be drawn on which OOC players he’d like to keep, saying that he needed to have private conversations with all of them before it became public.

He comes over as a very professional guy.

Yes im glad we nabbed him although im sure youd agree  he takes a time to spit it out 😆😆

9 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Yes im glad we nabbed him although im sure youd agree  he takes a time to spit it out 😆😆

He sure does, but then unlike some managers, he thinks before he speaks. Considered, thoughtful and professional are decent traits to have.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Definitely need some hard bastards in the team!

we have several generations of youngsters in the team at the moment, bakinson semenyo and massengo have all played several seasons of league football now, its the  newest batch, conway, towler, scott that are very young and need to be carefully managed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Simon bristol said:

Definitely need some hard bastards in the team!

we have several generations of youngsters in the team at the moment, bakinson semenyo and massengo have all played several seasons of league football now, its the  newest batch, conway, towler, scott that are very young and need to be carefully managed.

Yes think when he was talking about being Robust and having a soft under belly thats what he meant getting some brawn in hopefully .

4 hours ago, grifty said:

So we should be sacking the ground staff and not ever getting players or the ball in the opposition box? Interesting idea...

The comment about grass length to which he or she referred was about LJ measuring it when we played away at other clubs’ stadia - so he or she wasn’t suggesting our ground staff was at fault ...

• Haha 1

Nigel is very impressed with the recruitment department at the club. And he rates our coaches.

He said if we let go of 7 or 8, don't expect the same amount in. He wants a smaller squad of players. 

With targets he'd rather get the main targets done early, but understands they might have to see how the market responds in this unusual window. A lot of the business by clubs in general will be very late, which he says is not ideal.

He likes a mix of experience and youth. Young players that come in and are ready now but are capable of developing with us. But you need the balance of a bit of experience too. He understands signings are investments too.

He says ideally you want to keep your best players, but he really doesn't seem bothered about losing players either. He sees selling a player as an opportunity to then help strengthen the squad.

He seems to like the players that are currently unavailable. So that will be a big boost when they are back.

He likes attacking football. He likes players that are aggressive and he likes fast players. He likes dynamic players, allowing him to use different formations. It's all about finding a way to win.

When talking about targets he said they have had good discussions with what players they want and it won't be reactive. They are well down that road and done their preparation for that. Now it's about physically doing the business.

He said we can't compete with some sides (I assume he means clubs with parachute payments).

The most interesting part I found was him talking about how we really do not want marque signings. He likes a bit of equality in the squad and realistic competition. He says not all players will be on the same money, but he thinks it's important to have a squad of players in the same area earning wise.

I get the feeling he is keen to improve fitness, attitudes, team spirit. All the basics that we might have failed to get right. With new staff coming in too. Obviously that will be a new fitness guy, who knows where else he may be looking to make changes.

Was actually one of the better Pearson interviews. He probably went into more detail than any other interview so far. Still not telling us too much like maybe LJ sometimes used to. But some good bits of information in there

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

Why am I strangely optimistic after listening to it considering how bad we have been lately.

I'm confident NP knows who needs to go and what we need to be more competitive next season. We've needed a Man like this to come in and assess what's wrong within the club ever since SC left us. 

It's going to be a rocky road ahead I think, but we need to have some faith.

We also have good youngsters coming through by the looks of things

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Red_Alligator said:

My feeling is that it's one of the compromises he's had to accept, rather than a personal choice.

I am sure he will still bring in a number two.

8 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Yes didnt want to hear that they are clueless must be on a two year deal .

I reckon he was being straight.

8 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

One of the key things I took from the interview is that it appears that the club has been allowed to 'drift' along with no real direction or purpose. And strangely, I think that has manifested itself in our general levels of performance in terms of both individual player and overall team performance. And I think that is one of the key points to address going forward, on and off the pitch. And when Nigel talks about 'shared accountability' I think that is showing itself on the pitch where, for whatever reason, there is no 'leadership' amongst the players, no 'talking' as NP put it. He's watching and listening to everything around him to see if the players are picking up on his leadership style and what he wants to achieve, effectively giving these players enough 'rope'.......those that take it in the right way will be kept, those that don't will be off. Hopefully this will be an end to how long the grass is, box entries etc and all the other BS that the players have been fed.

Banbury, for all of those wise words you might just say 'managed by apprentices for far too long'... That's really what's been going on in my opinion.

8 hours ago, candygram for mongo said:

Key word for me was “Robust”, as in “want a more robust squad”

we are so lightweight which NP has obviously realised and hopefully will address.

In Mexico you see quite a lot of the small pick ups made by VW with the big words on the back R O B U S T. Made me laugh did that not least because in the Philippines there is a special pink tablet called the same... It does what you can guess it does. Maybe City can be sponsored by them... Why not both. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Robbored said:

Semenyo is quick. Be interesting to see how Nige uses him. Be fantastic if he could develop AS into another Vardy.

Junior Bent was bloody quick also, but couldn’t kick a ball to save his life!

• Like 1

Is anyone going to provide the counter argument that the interview clearly showed:

i) he hasn't got a clue what needs doing

ii) he's clearly feeling the heat and another defeat on Saturday will finish him

iii) he's completely abdicating responsibility and blaming someone else

iv) the masses are simply showing their stupidity by believing his spin

I only ask because it always seems to pop up after every interview.........................

5 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I am sure he will still bring in a number two.

I reckon he was being straight.

He won’t.

He categorically stated he won’t be adding to the coaching staff, he couldn’t have been any clearer.

As was discussed last week, he’ll bring in someone on the recruitment side (probably Steve Walsh) & someone on the medical side (possibly David Rennie) but whether he is keeping on the existing coaching staff because he truly thinks they are amazing, we can’t afford to pay them off, or he sees the other 2 areas as much higher priorities, is really just guesswork.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

If anything Conway is the most Vardy-like.

I know I keep saying it, but I’ve been really impressed with Conway.

I know this is a tangent but I'm also very impressed with Conway. 

Whereas with Pearson I could see potential, Conway looks the part already in his limited game time. 

Pace, eye for goal, work rate. I even liked his post match interview! He looks very comfortable in his own skin, which is a good sign.

Brentford are a well oiled machine and it'll be interesting to see how he gets on against them. Maybe the levels will be a lot clearer. 

But...big IF time...if Conway scores again he'll be 2 goals in 3, plus a marginal disallowed goal too, and it would just make me wonder if we've struck gold with this one. 

Re the interview, NP didn't really answer the questions so we'll just have to be patient and see what happens.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He won’t.

He categorically stated he won’t be adding to the coaching staff, he couldn’t have been any clearer.

As was discussed last week, he’ll bring in someone on the recruitment side (probably Steve Walsh) & someone on the medical side (possibly David Rennie) but whether he is keeping on the existing coaching staff because he truly thinks they are amazing, we can’t afford to pay them off, or he sees the other 2 areas as much higher priorities, is really just guesswork.

He said he’d bring in his own staff, which could mean anyone

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

He won’t.

Which is why he won't be called a coach. 

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Is anyone going to provide the counter argument that the interview clearly showed:

i) he hasn't got a clue what needs doing

ii) he's clearly feeling the heat and another defeat on Saturday will finish him

iii) he's completely abdicating responsibility and blaming someone else

iv) the masses are simply showing their stupidity by believing his spin

I only ask because it always seems to pop up after every interview.........................

Ah the lesser spotted flamebait. 

How very early 2000s of you. 

9 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Ah the lesser spotted flamebait. 

How very early 2000s of you. 

I would have said last century with the wider collar. Certain folk, of that Ilk, could get away with a lot of flannel back then. 

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Which is why he won't be called a coach. 

We’ll see.

Pretty sure last summer you repeatedly kept saying there would also be a director of football appointed once it was known Holden had the job.

There wasn’t.

"We've had good discussions about the types of players we trying to bring in, and we're well down that road," Pearson said. "It's not going to be reactive, we've done our preparations for that. It's going to be whether we can physically do the business [to get the deals over the line]".

That's the most interesting comment for me and Geoff should've asked him "who've you had those conversations with?" I sincerely hope Ashton's not involved in those discussions because he'll take that knowledge with him to Ipswich, even though his record for talent ID is shit. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

Another encouraging interview from Nige.

Can really see the similarities in management ethos between him and Pat Lam. 

Same chat about collective responsibility and the manager's role as being that of a "facilitator" rather than a dictator. 

Both very much students of the psychological aspect of sport too. 

If Nige can emulate even part of the success that Lam has then we'll be onto a winner. 

• Like 11

1 minute ago, tin said:

"We've had good discussions about the types of players we trying to bring in, and we're well down that road," Pearson said. "It's not going to be reactive, we've done our preparations for that. It's going to be whether we can physically do the business [to get the deals over the line]".

That's the most interesting comment for me and Geoff should've asked him "who've you had those conversation with?" I sincerely hope Ashton's not involved in those discussions because he'll take that knowledge with him to Ipswich, even though his record for talent ID is shit. 

Yeah it's great to hear. I imagine he'd just say the other staff as we're all part of a team. Probably involves the recruitment team, coaches and of course Lansdown's when talking about his plans.

I doubt Ashton has anything to do with that. 

• Like 2