Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Nige on Sound of the City with Geoff 6pm

3 minutes ago, tin said:

"We've had good discussions about the types of players we trying to bring in, and we're well down that road," Pearson said. "It's not going to be reactive, we've done our preparations for that. It's going to be whether we can physically do the business [to get the deals over the line]".

That's the most interesting comment for me and Geoff should've asked him "who've you had those conversations with?" I sincerely hope Ashton's not involved in those discussions because he'll take that knowledge with him to Ipswich, even though his record for talent ID is shit. 

Ashton can't be part of those discussions surely... must be between Nige and the Lansdowns, with someone else maybe helping on the admin side. 

17 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Yes didnt want to hear that they are clueless must be on a two year deal .

Yes 2 coaches so clueless that they have age group World Cup winners medals on their CVs. 

Still not good enough for mighty BCFC I suppose? 

If we are going to continue to blood the young academy players, they are surely ideal people to have around?

It might turn out that trying to motivate OOC players who's priority is talking to their agents, is more difficult than the average OTIB contributor can appreciate.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Ashton can't be part of those discussions surely... must be between Nige and the Lansdowns, with someone else maybe helping on the admin side. 

I hope not mate, but Pearson went on to say "I've only met Steve once, I've met Jon a few times". The caveat within that is he could well have discussed transfer plans with the Lansdowns over the phone or via Zoom, or he's had those discussions with the snake. Geoff should've pressed him on that, IMO. 

29 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah it's great to hear. I imagine he'd just say the other staff as we're all part of a team. Probably involves the recruitment team, coaches and of course Lansdown's when talking about his plans.

I doubt Ashton has anything to do with that. 

.....and his wide network of contacts.

• Like 1

Most of us have been guilty of scapegoating simpson & Downing without know anything of their input. We know coaches implement the managers ideas but they will also have their own ideas,  plus there are a lot of underlying problems at the club that have affected everything in a playing perspective . If Pearson says they’re very good coaches as he did last night then I’m happy with that . 

• Like 15
  • Robin 1
16 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Most of us have been guilty of scapegoating simpson & Downing without know anything of their input. We know coaches implement the managers ideas but they will also have their own ideas,  plus there are a lot of underlying problems at the club that have affected everything in a playing perspective . If Pearson says they’re very good coaches as he did last night then I’m happy with that . 

You might assume that Pearson feels he has too many players who he necessarily has to play due to the injuries who either can't be coached, aren't ready to be coached to the standard required right this minute but will be as their experience increases or simply don't want to be coached. Replace them with half a dozen who can and want to be coached plus a similar number of injured players in the same boat and all of a sudden things might just improve and the coaches performance will look a little bit different to the present time.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes 2 coaches so clueless that they have age group World Cup winners medals on their CVs. 

Still not good enough for mighty BCFC I suppose? 

If we are going to continue to blood the young academy players, they are surely ideal people to have around?

It might turn out that trying to motivate OOC players who's priority is talking to their agents, is more difficult than the average OTIB contributor can appreciate.

But still cant sort out crap defending from set peices and were relieved of their duties as England coaches ?

22 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

But still cant sort out crap defending from set peices and were relieved of their duties as England coaches ?

You can coach and coach, but you can't be on the pitch with them when they are implementing your ideas.  Pearson has already hinted that some players have their minds elsewhere, which suggests concentration is more of an issue than coaching.

• Like 2

I do find it quite funny how people say how refreshing it is that Pearson is straight talking, yet when he categorically states that there will be no changes in the coaching department some of them refuse to accept it.

• Like 6
6 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I do find it quite funny how people say how refreshing it is that Pearson is straight talking, yet when he categorically states that there will be no changes in the coaching department some of them refuse to accept it.

I have never known a Manager put things in such a straightforward manner and yet the interpretations of such straightforward talking go from one extreme to the other. I suppose it proves that many people do not bother listening to the actual words, they just look for any spin on them to suit what they want to happen. An example being how obvious did he need to make it that he wanted the job. Yet you still had posters saying "he's off, you can see it in his body language"......... Sometimes people say something and it's the truth!!

• Like 9
15 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Because ‘they’ point the finger at the poor coaching as a significant part of this disappointing season - in fact that has very little to do with it. It was a culmination of 4 or 5 years of poor recruitment and management that lay behind it - plus the horrendous injury list of course.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Because ‘they’ point the finger at the poor coaching as a significant part of this disappointing season - in fact that has very little to do with it. It was a culmination of 4 or 5 years of poor recruitment and management that lay behind it - plus the horrendous injury list of course.

I did post myself before he was appointed saying that the changes that needed to be made in the dugout didn't involve Pearson, but if he is happy with them, then that's good enough for me.

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I look at it slightly differently. Pearson's not one for throwing anyone under the bus and he always speaks positively of his colleagues. He did the same with Rolls, Ashton and more recently the recruitment team and the coaches. I'm not so sure he's convinced about any of them, but I suspect he's wary of changing too much too soon, so they'll have their chances and probably leave when their contracts are up. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Have heard that Pearson is bringing in his own S&C guy(s) as part of the new medical set up, probably do us a world of good 

I wonder if Dave Rennie will be part of that new medical setup...

6 minutes ago, tin said:

I look at it slightly differently. Pearson's not one for throwing anyone under the bus and he always speaks positively of his colleagues. He did the same with Rolls, Ashton and more recently the recruitment team and the coaches. I'm not so sure he's convinced about any of them, but I suspect he's wary of changing too much too soon, so they'll have their chances and probably leave when their contracts are up. 

He might think the recruitment analysts are great at extracting and analysing data / pulling video packages together, but he might find they’re not guided in the right direction, e.g. don’t know how to interpret / execute his requirements.  He talked last night about “knowing what we need - now”, which is exactly one of the 6/7 phrases he used when describing his relationship with recruitment in an interview when he was at another club.

Something like:

• know what we have
  • know what we need
  • know what we need - now
  • know what we don’t need
  • know the playing system
  • etc

it was in this interview that he mentioned that he doesn’t watch players, expects his recruitment team to know what he wants and he is therefore more of a rubber-stamp.  Obviously if he doesn’t trust them it’s a different kettle of fish!

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Have heard that Pearson is bringing in his own S&C guy(s) as part of the new medical set up, probably do us a world of good 

Rennie is the rumour.

39 minutes ago, tin said:

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He might think the recruitment analysts are great at extracting and analysing data / pulling video packages together, but he might find they’re not guided in the right direction, e.g. don’t know how to interpret / execute his requirements.  He talked last night about “knowing what we need - now”, which is exactly one of the 6/7 phrases he used when describing his relationship with recruitment in an interview when he was at another club.

Something like:

• know what we have
  • know what we need
  • know what we need - now
  • know what we don’t need
  • know the playing system
  • etc

it was in this interview that he mentioned that he doesn’t watch players, expects his recruitment team to know what he wants and he is therefore more of a rubber-stamp.  Obviously if he doesn’t trust them it’s a different kettle of fish!

Rennie is the rumour.

Nice. Hadn’t seen that. Heard it was someone from a rugby side. 

58 minutes ago, tin said:

Sacked seems a rather harsh way of putting things after 22 years? Reading on it sounds more amicable than that.

1 hour ago, tin said:

You make a good point . We could well make subtle changes as it progresses

22 hours ago, Robbored said:

Semenyo is quick. Be interesting to see how Nige uses him. Be fantastic if he could develop AS into another Vardy.

I'll bet Semenyo is not with us next season, based on his last few tardy performances think his head is already elsewhere.

• Hmmm 1
41 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

I'll bet Semenyo is not with us next season, based on his last few tardy performances think his head is already elsewhere.

Been on bench last 3.  Started 6 Sub 6 under NP.

Not sure I can read that either way.

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Been on bench last 3.  Started 6 Sub 6 under NP.

Not sure I can read that either way.

It's hard to judge, with Pearson trying to look at squad members. I think he needs to improve to have a long term future here, but not sure NP will tip his hand until next season.