IGNORED

Solidarity Protest

If anyone has remotely followed my ramblings on here, you'll know that I'm not the biggest fan of the way Bristol City is run. This is to the extent that I have not attended a match since Ipswich at home in March 2018. Now I've had many discussions with people over the last few years about my own views, but I understand I'm in a minority.

However in the last few weeks we have seen, with the ESL proposals, that football is simply not safe in the hands of majority shareholders. Some of these owners, like those at Leicester City, seem to have their communities at heart. Others, like the Glazers and FSG, clearly do not. Too many clubs are facing bankruptcy and ruin due to poor decisions made by their own sugar daddies, or by the financial inequality within the English game. 

When Manchester United fans entered Old Trafford, it signalled a firm rejection of the Glazers, and a yes to fan ownership, or representation. I know that many of us have been unhappy with how poor fan liaising and communication has been by our own club, and most of us reject the ideas put forward by the 'big six'. As a union man I would love to show my support for the Manchester United fans and their actions, although I obviously draw the line at violence and do not condone that. As such I was wondering if there was any appetite for us to stage a solidarity protest at Ashton Gate on Saturday, based on two simple beliefs.

1. That we support Manchester United fans, and any other supporters, who actively reject their owners when they put the club, fans, or the league at risk.

2. That fan representation should be a constitutional necessity for every football club in the UK.

The point of this protest would not be to break into Ashton Gate, or get the game abandoned, but simply to show our support for a cause, peacefully, if not a touch noisily. 

Thoughts?

29 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

If anyone has remotely followed my ramblings on here, you'll know that I'm not the biggest fan of the way Bristol City is run. This is to the extent that I have not attended a match since Ipswich at home in March 2018. Now I've had many discussions with people over the last few years about my own views, but I understand I'm in a minority.

However in the last few weeks we have seen, with the ESL proposals, that football is simply not safe in the hands of majority shareholders. Some of these owners, like those at Leicester City, seem to have their communities at heart. Others, like the Glazers and FSG, clearly do not. Too many clubs are facing bankruptcy and ruin due to poor decisions made by their own sugar daddies, or by the financial inequality within the English game. 

When Manchester United fans entered Old Trafford, it signalled a firm rejection of the Glazers, and a yes to fan ownership, or representation. I know that many of us have been unhappy with how poor fan liaising and communication has been by our own club, and most of us reject the ideas put forward by the 'big six'. As a union man I would love to show my support for the Manchester United fans and their actions, although I obviously draw the line at violence and do not condone that. As such I was wondering if there was any appetite for us to stage a solidarity protest at Ashton Gate on Saturday, based on two simple beliefs.

1. That we support Manchester United fans, and any other supporters, who actively reject their owners when they put the club, fans, or the league at risk.

2. That fan representation should be a constitutional necessity for every football club in the UK.

The point of this protest would not be to break into Ashton Gate, or get the game abandoned, but simply to show our support for a cause, peacefully, if not a touch noisily. 

Thoughts?

No

I actually thought similar, but not at Ashton Gate. I wouldn't be completely against going to Old Trafford with other City fans, I definitely do not think it's a good idea to do this at Ashton Gate though.

37 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

It would be wrong to do this at Ashton Gate on the basis that the Lansdown's will never the club at risk, while the intention may be to support fans of other clubs whose ownership situation is worse than ours (by the grand scheme we've got one of the better owners you'd say) doing this at Ashton Gate would easily be construed as including the Lansdown's as part of the problem. Support other fans sure, but not at Ashton Gate.

20 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

It would be wrong to do this at Ashton Gate on the basis that the Lansdown's will never the club at risk, while the intention may be to support fans of other clubs whose ownership situation is worse than ours (by the grand scheme we've got one of the better owners you'd say) doing this at Ashton Gate would easily be construed as including the Lansdown's as part of the problem. Support other fans sure, but not at Ashton Gate.

Depends what their next move is re investment?

23 minutes ago, Scrumpylegs said:

Man Utd fans wouldn’t give a s**t about their owners if they were still winning trophies. **** ‘em I say!!

Not 100% true Lots have moaned about the Glazers since the day they walked in and put the club into debt

Didnt some walk away and start Utd Fc or what ever the name is

3 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Not 100% true Lots have moaned about the Glazers since the day they walked in and put the club into debt

Didnt some walk away and start Utd Fc or what ever the name is

They did but then walked straight back again after a few weeks 

44 minutes ago, Banned User said:

I actually thought similar, but not at Ashton Gate. I wouldn't be completely against going to Old Trafford with other City fans, I definitely do not think it's a good idea to do this at Ashton Gate though.

They are probably running a coach from Temple Meads.

32 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Do you for one moment think that SL wouldn’t have voted for the ESL had we been in that position? 

He’s been the most vocal proponent of a closed league in Rugby in the country and has stripped the club of our ownership of Ashton Gate. 

His actions are precisely what those of us who detest modern football ownership are opposed to most. 

This is a football wide issue that every fan in the country who genuinely cares about the past and future of the game should mobilise against.

Genuinely amazed at how blinkered some posters on here are and how they are turning this into a club v club issue. Thought we had more class as a fan base.

Hmmm, guess it's a no then. I'll be honest and say I'm disappointed. This isn't about Manchester United or Bristol City. Our game has been eroding every year for decades. Ticket prices going up, fan engagement down, less atmosphere, journeymen players, agents, clubs like Bury and Orient going to the wall and now the ESL. I love Bristol City, but I love football more. If we don't protect football, we lose Bristol City. 

Football needs to be returned to what it should be. A saturday afternoon's cheap entertainment for the masses to help distress and vent after a week of work. It should not be the multi-billion cash cow it has become, and for what it's worth, SL is far from innocent. 

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Depends what their next move is re investment?

Okay nothing in his actions so far

3 minutes ago, redordead1 said:

Do you for one moment think that SL wouldn’t have voted for the ESL had we been in that position? 

He’s been the most vocal proponent of a closed league in Rugby in the country and has stripped the club of our ownership of Ashton Gate. 

His actions are precisely what those of us who detest modern football ownership are opposed to most. 

This is a football wide issue that every fan in the country who genuinely cares about the past and future of the game should mobilise against.

Genuinely amazed at how blinkered some posters on here are and how they are turning this into a club v club issue. Thought we had more class as a fan base.

The ESL isn't the biggest part of the Utd fan protests though, they've protested against the Glazer's pretty much since they've been in charge. Their protest largely revolves around 1) the plunging of club into debt, 2) how much the Glazer's have removed from the club through dividends, 3) their policies towards season ticket holders and cup matches. The ESL just brought the protest back into the mainstream.

Steve's comments about rugby are very different to his actions with football though and we're talking about him as a football owner. Nothing in Steve's actions as a football owner to date put him anywhere near the 'bad owner' status. As said protesting against modern football ownership at Ashton Gate could be seen from a wider context away from Ashton Gate/Bristol as our fans protesting against Lansdown's ownership.

Sorry but a no from me too.  

Fans of these big 6 clubs are very happy to take the money from these wealthy owners in the hope of clambering above their nearest rivals to the top of the tree.  Those same fans couldn’t give a shit about fans and clubs in the lower divisions.  If they were protesting for the good of ALL levels of the football pyramid then fine, but you can bet they only care about their own club.

So in a nutshell, solidarity for Bury fans ..... definitely, but Man U ..... no chance!

In my eyes Man U are one of the big causes of English football’s problems, not a victim of it!

4 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

1.) What would be the point of protesting for protestings sake? Because solidarity is important when you recognise this is bigger than just Man U. In the same way other groups came out for the miners as they recognised that although they weren't directly affected by pit closures, but they could be next.

2.) Covid is still a thing, lots of people close proximity is begging for trouble. Outside with masks have proven to be low risk.

3.)Bristol hasnt exactly been trouble free over the last 18 months and now you want to incite more. \without wishing to be flippant,  but geographical location and recent history should be irrelevant .

4.) Showing solidarity with fans in this way is not going to work because if you did it for Man United, youd then have to do it individually for all teams own by shit owners. Making the whole thing totally pointless. If you read my post again you will see it says is support of all fans, but in reaction to the events at Old Trafford.

5.) Fans and constitutional representation in the way you appear to want it is also not realistic and placeholdery. Have you met my friend Germany?

Aside from that... 

Solidarity with Man united fans? What a preposterous suggestion.

Do you think they did what they did for the good of football or purely for their own interests? Do you think they felt solidarity with their fellow fans when they were winning everything in sight? Do you think they felt empathy for other clubs fans when their club was signing up to yet another multi-billion pound sky deal?

Where was this ‘solidarity’ for the likes of bury?

I'm with OP on this. I don't think it is stupid or crazy to have some sort of picket outside AG just to say "Hey, we hear you. We're football fans too. We support what you are doing".

Frankly saying "they wouldn't do the same for us" is small-minded. Truly combatting the proliferation of billionaires and money in football will need pressure from all levels. It needs unity, it will require partisan attitudes and grudges to be set aside. 

Likewise thinking it will never affect our club is foolish, short-sighted and naive. Firstly, it already affects our club. The reason we have to pay £8m for a player is because the club we buy from have to pay £16m. The club they buy from has to pay £32m, and that is because Man Utd can spunk £80m on Harry Maguire. The conduct of those clubs trickles down the leagues and pyramid and directly affects how much Bristol City have to spend - and that affects the price of your season ticket.

Steve and his family may not be around forever. Personally when (if) they ever sell then I'd feel more comfortable if there were some provisions in place, whether in national law or in the rules and regulations of the Prem and/or EFL to give some guidance around that process, and to in some way try and elevate and then protect fan interest.

@Welcome To The Jungle more power to you. Best of luck.

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Thoughts?

No

2 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

1. Pit closures?? Seriously, wow 

2. Outside with masks  sure, not everyone would and will be plus congregation before, during and after... 

3. Tinderbox... Surely your post isnt that naive.. see response to point one

4. No thanks,  I don't want to go over the same ridiculous points again. 

5.  English Football isnt currently German Football it's a false equivalence to suggest as much and to get it in such a way isnt going to be done through solidarity protests. 

Good grief. 

Clearly this is not the same as pit closures in terms of magnitude, just an example.

This gathering would only attract a few hundred tops. Not like thousands after a game.

You can't not stand for what you believe in just because there is 'heat' at the moment. And again, not as important as blocking the police powers bill, but still worth making some noise about.

Okay...your choice

I'm not advocating 51%, it has its flaws for sure, but some representation...I'm 100% for that

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Thoughts?

Are you a lunatic?

1 hour ago, walnutroof said:

Exactly they wouldn’t if roles were reversed 

I don't recall big protests from man utd fans when Bury were put into liquidation from a scumbag owner or Wigan went into administration when the owner was losing a bet. Both clubs on their doorstep

I do support the cause from afar and hope its the start of a fan led revolution against modern day football.

Archived