IGNORED

Sammie Szmodics

Bristolisredd

1 minute ago, Bristolisredd said:

Congratulations to sammie on promotion to the championship ... seems to have been pivotal in Peterborough’s success. 

will be interesting to see how he does in the championship after a run of games 

I hope he proves that he wasn’t good enough for the Championship.

If he tears it up it will be a bit hard for us to swallow.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

9 minutes ago, Bristolisredd said:

Congratulations to sammie on promotion to the championship ... seems to have been pivotal in Peterborough’s success. 

will be interesting to see how he does in the championship after a run of games 

Absolutely so.

Certainly can argue he never got a chance, from memory he only got an hour in one game v Swansea & 2 brief-ish sub appearances.

For those who claim he is someone we miss, I genuinely don’t know how you can have an opinion either way, based on that tiny sample size.

What this season has showed is that he is clearly very good at League One level, but for him & Peterborough, next season will be a totally different test.

• Like 1

Another pointless Johnson signing. Buy him, give him a pre season then run after Palmer when Swansea showed interest. Felt sorry for him here.

Footage of LJ at the time.

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Too difficult to have an opinion either way based on his time here. Certainy done well at Peterborough this year though. Not that doing well at Peterborough means anything that much -  they are THE Championship/League 1 yo-yo club. They've had their usual good time in League 1 and on past evidence it would surprise none of us if they struggled next year, Sammie included. It's what they do.

Edited by Calculus
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Absolutely so.

Certainly can argue he never got a chance, from memory he only got an hour in one game v Swansea & 2 brief-ish sub appearances.

For those who claim he is someone we miss, I genuinely don’t know how you can have an opinion either way, based on that tiny sample size.

What this season has showed is that he is clearly very good at League One level, but for him & Peterborough, next season will be a totally different test.

Very hard for any creative player to thrive in our negative system at that time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately, when he did get game time here, he had about as much effect on the match as an advertising hoarding.

Whether he should have had more time is a moot point.  That he didn't impress when he was on the pitch is not.

He was a young player and he may well have developed to be a lot sharper than he was in 2019.

But time will tell if he is ready for the Championship now. Lots of third tier players look great at that level, but cannot take the step up. Matty Taylor scored a lot of goals in L1. Few in the Championship. 

Hopefully he has a great season and gets named player of the year, if Toney went for that much in league 1 imagine how much McAnthony would want for Szmodics in the championship. All the while we’re sat waiting with our sell on clause……

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Absolutely so.

Not forgetting his speedy Gonzalez demeanour in the pre season friendly at the New Lawn. At that venue I had just returned from buying two teas after a painfully long queue only to see near as damn get blown away by a Szmodics blast over the bar that ricocheted off a brick wall; he was, alas, a near miss for City as well 

19 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Hopefully he has a great season and gets named player of the year, if Toney went for that much in league 1 imagine how much McAnthony would want for Szmodics in the championship. All the while we’re sat waiting with our sell on clause……

Why do you hope that a Peterborough player gets named player of the year? 

45 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Unfortunately, when he did get game time here, he had about as much effect on the match as an advertising hoarding.

Whether he should have had more time is a moot point.  That he didn't impress when he was on the pitch is not.

Wow....you’ve based that critique on 1 start and 2 sub appearances.

Hardly fair for a young players first couple of outings in the championship.....what were you expecting, a messi-like impact?

• Like 1

I did feel for him when he was here to be honest, people will say that when he was given opportunities he didn’t perform but if a manager doesn’t put his arm around you and give you that confidence certain players will naturally feel not wanted.

For me this situation highlighted massively LJ’s lack of man management skills, you can’t just stock pile players in real life and keep them for a rainy day.. your dealing with human beings and having the ability to make everyone feel wanted is massively  important. I think that is why Pearson and many other more experienced managers would rather not have huge squads of players especially if you don’t particularly rate the fringe squad players that you have.. it becomes a pointless exercise for both parties, an un-happy un-confident player and a wage that would be much better spent elsewhere!

Edited by bris red
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, bris red said:

I did feel for him when he was here to be honest, people will say that when he was given opportunities he didn’t perform but if a manager doesn’t put his arm around you and give you that confidence certain players will naturally feel not wanted.

For me this situation highlighted massively LJ’s lack of man management skills, you can’t just stock pile players in real life and keep them for a rainy day.. your dealing with human beings and having the ability to make everyone feel wanted is massive important. I think that is why Pearson and many other more experienced managers would rather not have huge squads of players especially if you don’t particularly rate the fringe squad players that you have.. it becomes a pointless exercise for both parties, an un-happy un-confident player and a wage that would be much better spent elsewhere!

So true ?

25 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Why do you hope that a Peterborough player gets named player of the year? 

For the reason listed in the post, Peterborough sell for big money and we get a healthy chunk from our sell on clause 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Wow....you’ve based that critique on 1 start and 2 sub appearances.

Hardly fair for a young players first couple of outings in the championship.....what were you expecting, a messi-like impact?

No and you obviously didn't read my post.

To recap:

Whether he should have had more time is a moot point.  That he didn't impress when he was on the pitch is not.  He was a young player and he may well have developed to be a lot sharper than he was in 2019.

PS: 2 starts and 2 sub appearances

Edited by Red-Robbo

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

No and you obviously didn't read my post.

To recap:

IMO he was never going to get a decent chance. We had Johnson doing his impression of a 5 year old at Christmas, always more interested in the next present . Szmodics had by all reports, had a good pre season. Then LJ gets his new toy in Palmer, who we paid more for and got a run. Not sure what he was supposed to do without getting a game or two. played a total of 107 minutes over 3/4 games, 1 start. Just had a quick look, in and out of the squad, on the bench one week and not the next. I think that speaks more about Johnsons fickle team choices than anything that Szmodics did.
Whether he was good enough then or now is questionable, it just grates a little that our recruitment would spot and sign a player, only to sign another that clearly played in the same sort of position and would play ahead of him, senseless , and yet very Lee Johnson.

• Like 3