IGNORED

Sammie Szmodics

Bristolisredd

We sold him to Posh for circa £1m & will definitely have inserted a sell on (we always do), so something (my hunch is around £300k) would come our way.

Definitely not the player I expected us to make money on this summer & have to say I don’t understand Blackburn’s logic here at all.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

We sold him to Posh for circa £1m & will definitely have inserted a sell on (we always do), so something (my hunch is around £300k) would come our way.

Definitely not the player I expected us to make money on this summer & have to say I don’t understand Blackburn’s logic here at all.

Bradley Dack`s injury problems over the last few seasons have perhaps forced their hand?

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Bradley Dack`s injury problems over the last few seasons have perhaps forced their hand?

Maybe but I’m really not sure Szmodics is “all that”.

Last season he scored just 5, 2 of which came on the last day of the season when they had already been relegated for a few weeks, 2 of the other 3 came in the game against us. He had just 1 assist all season.

There are a lot of better players than him out there & frankly I’m amazed they are looking to spend this amount on him.

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Last season he scored just 5, 2 of which came on the last day of the season when they had already been relegated for a few weeks, 2 of the other 3 came in the game against us. He had just 1 assist all season.

There are a lot of better players than him out there & frankly I’m amazed they are looking to spend this amount on him.

If he’s the shining light in a relegation team then that lends itself to being better in a better team maybe. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

If he’s the shining light in a relegation team then that lends itself to being better in a better team maybe. 

I’m not even sure he was that, I’m no Jonson Clarke-Harris fan but I’d argue a dozen goals in a relegated side is fairly decent, plus one of their centre backs (Edwards) was in the same England squad as Alex Scott.

He’s a 6/10 player at most.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I think he could do well with better players around him but we shall see. If Blackburn are expecting to sell Brereton-Diaz for big money then the cash isn`t perhaps as important.

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-set-surprising-windfall-7399899

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Selred said:

No, it get's cancelled when the player moves again.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

6 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Yes, they get a % of what we get so, if we get 100k from Peterborough, col u had a 10% sell on, they get 10k of our 100k

Correct Monkeh, unless specific clauses are inserted, e.g. sell-on only applies if sold within the timescale of the contract length. Otherwise it keeps filtering down.

3 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Will never understand how he wasn’t given a chance at this club

I understand your point but we signed Palmer for a load of £ and Sammy seemed to be ignored after that that. He was also competing with Paterson too.

From what I saw, which was clearly not a lot, he was a L1 player at that point, but very young and had potential. 

Strange signing, like so many under Swiss Tony. 

Edited by ScottishRed
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Whilst I agree with the general criticism of Mark Ashton the one area in which he was absolutely superb was in obtaining top dollar on player sales; an area in which we have been historically awful.

I would have him back tomorrow if this could be the entire extent of his role.

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Whilst I agree with the general criticism of Mark Ashton the one area in which he was absolutely superb was in obtaining top dollar on player sales; an area in which we have been historically awful.

We haven't really sold many under gold yet and the market has crashed in terms of selling outside the prem, so I disagree

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

We haven't really sold many under gold yet and the market has crashed in terms of selling outside the prem, so I disagree

Also it may be worth pointing out, that the bigger fees we received - Webster, Kelly, Reid, Bryan etc, were for players who were clearly playing a level below where they could/should be. 

I would argue that a blind man with his arms tied behind his back could have negotiated as good a deal(s) for these players. Yes Ashton was good at getting deals done, however was that because he was so public with it when it was done - "I've done this, I've done that" etc etc. What about the Engvals?

I'd argue that put Gould in the same position with the same players to sell, as well as the same market conditions (pre Covid)  and he would get at least an equal amount in the sales column.

Gould has overseen a a few departures of Ashtons vastly bloated salaries as well - notably Palmer to Coventry. Leave Ashton in charge of getting rid of him, and he'd probably still be here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

He did do well with the high profile sales, but he didn’t get top dollar for several players too. Djuric, Engvall, Morrell, etc, he didn’t get more than they were worth there did he.  He looked good in an inflationary market, where it was more difficult to lose money than make it.  I don’t think he was that great at all.  But then again I think he’s the worst thing about Bristol City FC in recent years.

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He did do well with the high profile sales, but he didn’t get top dollar for several players too. Djuric, Engvall, Morrell, etc, he didn’t get more than they were worth there did he.  He looked good in an inflationary market, where it was more difficult to lose money than make it.  I don’t think he was that great at all.  But then again I think he’s the worst thing about Bristol City FC in recent years.

Spot on - let’s not forget he also signed Adulken and Eisa who never got a game here either. It’s ridiculous the players we signed that never played 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Is it that difficult to understand? He clearly didn't do enough in training to merit a place in the team. 

From memory, I could be wrong, he started most pre season games and seemed to do ok. Once the season started he didn’t get a look in. If effort in training was such an issue why did play so much in pre season?

And you say clearly didn’t do enough. Was that ever confirmed?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

From memory, I could be wrong, he started most pre season games and seemed to do ok. Once the season started he didn’t get a look in. If effort in training was such an issue why did play so much in pre season?

He was one of the best performing players of that pre season for him to be left to one side makes it all more ridiculous. Glad we've moved on from that management team.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

3 minutes ago, Street red said:

He was one of the best performing players of that pre season for him to be left to one side makes it all more ridiculous. Glad we've moved on from that management team.

Was his problem more that we later bought KP at great expense and a very large weekly salary (had him foisted upon us), such that KP had to play and there was no room for two identical players in the match day eleven?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Street red said:

Basically LJ signed Palmer a few days before the season started and through all his plans in the ? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

The players we got decent money for sold themselves , didn’t they Dave

Their performances over 18mths , 2 yrs , some individual televised moments (JB scored something beauties on Sky incl the United thunderbolt) , Flints goals, Reid’s goals , Kelley you only had to see warm up to see glaring Rolls Royce potential 

I don’t think they were a hard sell and with the market at the time attracted buyers , and fees that I’d suggest any decent negotiator on here may have got , especially when you have the day to day knowledge of the market

I always felt the lavish praise he got for attracting (what were perceived as) decent fees was ott.

Id say the Webster one did stand out due to the size of it and his injury record , but we saw what a player he was , as clearly did Brighton , and credit to them they backed their judgement

I don’t suppose they opened their bidding at £5 m and Ashton dragged them to the eventual £20 m plus 

When it came to his arrogance in his strategy , he crashed and didn’t do so well in ‘upselling’ those less high profile , did he.

And let’s not start on buying duffs or at least overspending on mere ‘punts’, both in terms of fees and wages

Ahhhhhhhhh  Johnson and Ashton , overseen by JL.........

And even of course we ignored the strategy anyway and had a different attempt at wasting more money by buying the likes of Marley Watkins for £1 million , something I still find incredible

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Was his problem more that we later bought KP at great expense and a very large weekly salary (had him foisted upon us), such that KP had to play and there was no room for two identical players in the match day eleven?

If that was Pearson and Sammie was having a outstanding pre season and then KP came into the club a little before the season started KP wouldn't of been ahead of Sammie it comes on merit not what your earning.So for me KP would be nothing more than starting on the bench.

Edited by Street red
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Street red said:

If that was Pearson and Sammie was having a outstanding pre season and then KP came into the club a little before the season started KP wouldn't of been ahead of Sammie it comes on merit not what your earning.So for me KP would be nothing more than starting on the bench.

I agree entirely and, of course, that is how it should be.

It is possible, however, that LJ was presented with KP well after pre-season and friendlies had started (remember that, in fairness to LJ, he did say that he would need a full pre-season with KP) and LJ was put under pressure to play him.

Obviously, I have no idea, but, for me, that is an entirely feasible explanation for SS not featuring.

Slightly similar situation to when City got promoted under Ward and bought Soren Anderson, Tony Thorpe and Ade Akinbiyi. All big money signings (although Anderson was remarkably cheap considering his calibre). It was over concentration in one area when other areas needed to be addressed. All three were great players but at most only two could be played and it was discovered that none of them complimented each other's play, so Steve Torpey had one of the striker berths as he brought out the best in which of the three was chosen to play alongside him (usually Akinbiyi). It was very bad planning. Anderson understandably left and I think Thorpe would've too had we been able to recoup half of the million we paid out. Thankfully he remained and showed his worth the following season etc after Akinbiyi had been sold.

Similarly, we went top heavy in Sammie's position as we already had Patterson and then brought in Palmer for megabucks. 

• Like 2