IGNORED

Sammie Szmodics

Bristolisredd

19 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Will never understand how he wasn’t given a chance at this club

It’s not too complicated, 3 million pound player from Premier league Chelsea or cheeky chappy from fourth division club Colchester. Who is going to get the nod ? 
Unluckily for SS when given the limited chance he wasn’t an immediate success. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

It’s not too complicated, 3 million pound player from Premier league Chelsea or cheeky chappy from fourth division club Colchester. Who is going to get the nod ? 

He was already out of the picture by the time we signed Palmer though wasn’t he?

Just now, formerly known as ivan said:

He was already out of the picture by the time we signed Palmer though wasn’t he?

No, Szmodics had made a really good impression all pre-season….Palmer signed in the week leading up to the first game v Leeds, and went straight into the team.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

No, Szmodics had made a really good impression all pre-season….Palmer signed in the week leading up to the first game v Leeds, and went straight into the team.

Ah, I thought he signed in the January on loan. Guessing I’m getting my seasons mixed up. Was it…

Palmer loan Jan

Szmodics perm summer

Palmer perm summer?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Yep. Watched him in the Tampa pre-season camp. In the flesh he was class, looked good with Pack and Brownhill, but was powerful going forward on his own. I loved him after that camp, thought he'd do big things.

22 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Ah, I thought he signed in the January on loan. Guessing I’m getting my seasons mixed up. Was it…

Palmer loan Jan

Szmodics perm summer

Palmer perm summer?

Yeh and then we made Palmer permanent for 10x the fee we'd paid for Szmodics and after a distinctly average loan spell in which he'd really not solved our problems.

It was a really messed up series of events. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Just signed for Blackburn, bringing in £300k for us. 

£500k+ brought in through sell ons, selling Bakinson and selling a 16 year old isn’t bad business for the club at all. 

Must admit with all the talk of selling Semenyo or Scott, or getting money through sell ons for Webster, Kelly or Brownhill, I didn’t think for a minute someone would pay that amount for Szmodics.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Must admit with all the talk of selling Semenyo or Scott, or getting money through sell ons for Webster, Kelly or Brownhill, I didn’t think for a minute someone would pay that amount for Szmodics.

Way over the odds, but Peterborough tend to get top dollar.

Also, Blackburns talisman Dack is satisfyingly knackered so I assume they see Szmodics as a successor.

Bit desperate though.

26 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

yeah you didn't rate him. On the rare occasion that i saw him play looked like a player to me.

This season will show all. 

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Is that “ITK” or a best guess like mine?

Every example of compensation under PFCC I’ve seen has had a 20% sell-on.

20 per cent of any profit on the sale would equate to the £300,000 mentioned in the press yesterday ( Bristol live I think).

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

20 per cent of any profit on the sale would equate to the £300,000 mentioned in the press yesterday ( Bristol live I think).

Yeah, agree, the point I was making is that we are very likely to be giving 20% of that to Colchester as part of the initial compo tribunal when he signed for us.  So more likely £240k (if £300k is our bit from Peterborough).

FWIW, if rumours of £3m are true, I reckon we got £1.25m initially, so I think it’s more like £350k from Peterborough and £70k of that to Colchester, netting us £280k.  MacAnthony doesn’t let players go cheap!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Is that “ITK” or a best guess like mine?

Every example of compensation under PFCC I’ve seen has had a 20% sell-on.

Did it go to PFCC? The club announcement said that "Bristol City have paid an undisclosed compensation fee to Colchester United as Szmodics is under the age of 24." so it sounded like there was an agreement between us and Colchester.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

Did it go to PFCC? The club announcement said that "Bristol City have paid an undisclosed compensation fee to Colchester United as Szmodics is under the age of 24." so it sounded like there was an agreement between us and Colchester.

None of us know, you could be right. I bet Colchester got a sell on though. 

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Yeah, but the sell-on was to Peterborough, surely?

No, the default is that sell-ones persist through all future transfers unless specific clauses are added.

So, Colchester had a sell-on when he went to Peterborough.

Colchester and city have a sell-on now he’s moved from Peterborough to Blackburn.

Colchester’s “return” is less and less each time, e.g. 20% initially, then 20% of 20% (4%) this transfer.

Obviously none of us have sight if the transfer deal itself so all guesswork. 

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No, the default is that sell-ones persist through all future transfers unless specific clauses are added.

So, Colchester had a sell-on when he went to Peterborough.

Colchester and city have a sell-on now he’s moved from Peterborough to Blackburn.

Colchester’s “return” is less and less each time, e.g. 20% initially, then 20% of 20% (4%) this transfer.

Obviously none of us have sight if the transfer deal itself so all guesswork. 

Surely when he left us for Peterborough Colchester would of had there percentage of a sell? Not no he is moving again? 

15 minutes ago, thatchersgold said:

Surely when he left us for Peterborough Colchester would of had there percentage of a sell? Not no he is moving again? 

It can/does carry on down the chain, so long as every transfer is bigger than the previous one. 

For example, if he signs for Leicester in 2 years time for £15m, Peterborough will get cut of the profit (assuming they've added one which I suspect they have), we get a cut, and then so do Colchester. 

If however he moves for £1m, then nobody gets anything as the fee is lower than the previous one.

Stand to be corrected, but pretty sure that's how it generally works.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Taz said:

It can/does carry on down the chain, so long as every transfer is bigger than the previous one. 

For example, if he signs for Leicester in 2 years time for £15m, Peterborough will get cut of the profit (assuming they've added one which I suspect they have), we get a cut, and then so do Colchester. 

If however he moves for £1m, then nobody gets anything as the fee is lower than the previous one.

Stand to be corrected, but pretty sure that's how it generally works.

That’s exactly it.

As I’ve mentioned it is possible to insert clauses, e.g. “sell-on percentage only applies if sold within original term of contract” so if SS signed a 3 year contract with us and that clause was applied, then it ran out on 30th June 2022.

• Thanks 1

On 30/07/2022 at 14:55, Major Isewater said:

As SS himself has said we bought him based on his stats, not where we were going to play him or how he would fit in the team.

I hope Sammy goes well, I think it was unfortunate timing that he got caught up in a ridiculous period of our trading & hopefully we/players don't have to go through it again & I reckon that NP & RG have a handle on it now at last........thankfully.

Edited by bpexile
  • Like 3