IGNORED

Phil Tottle

Super

20 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

I clicked on that almost expecting he’d passed away or something 

Wasn’t Colin Howlett the commentator who thought every goal rovers conceded no keeper in the world could’ve saved?

Not to mention 'the vast hordes of away fans behind the goal', yet when you watched the highlights on HTV News the following Monday it was anything but.

36 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Colin Howlett was the Rovers reporter. Went to school with his son who became a known face down Eastville. He came unstuck against a few City in town, took a good hiding and deserved it. Not a very nice human.

Hmmm.

https://archive.kickitout.org/news/bristol-rovers-fan-given-football-banning-order-over-racist-abuse/

4 minutes ago, grifty said:

In fairness, it was the Radio Lincolnshire bloke who said it?

Of Course it was (according to CH!), but surely that doesn't give him licence to repeat it live on air.

I have heard loads of racist 'jokes' in my time, but I wouldn't dream of repeating them in public, and most certainly not during a live broadcast. 

54 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

Wasn’t Colin Howlett the commentator who thought every goal rovers conceded no keeper in the world could’ve saved?

Always chuckled at his pronunciation of the word "off", he would say "awf".

Lost count of the times Ian bloody Alexander got sent awf against us, or how may times Devon White was caught awfside.

I’ve got very fond memories of Phil Tottle’s commentary and match reports. Despite the sinking feeling whenever the presenter said “and over to Phil Tottle, where there’s been a goal at the City game”. 

Colin Howett used to drive me mad with his “large contingent” comments whenever the fewers were away. 

1 hour ago, walnutroof said:

Yep...."And the finish from [insert name] gave Parkin no chance to save the ball wawtsoever!"

13 minutes ago, Offside said:

Colin Howett used to drive me mad with his “large contingent” comments whenever the fewers were away. 

Maybe the large rereferred to their waist sizes, not their numbers?

47 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Seems he's a reformed character now.....he's back down the Mammary Stadium and "In Wael" he trusts.  Fickle bugger doesn't seem to care about him being a Johnny Foreigner by the seems of it!

I would like to think that if a City fan had been tried and convicted of such an act he would be subject to a lifetime banning order by the club, but obviously such things don't phase the fewers....just makes him more one of them!

On the FBC Podcast I recorded this interview with Phil Tottle last summer:

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/in-conversation-with-phil-tottle-radio-bristol-part-1-of-2/ 

Had a few tech problems with Part 2 but reckon I can fix it [belatedly !] and will upload next week.

Interesting stories from the 80s & 90s - he and I were rivals in so far as he was Radio Bristol and me GWR [aka Radio West]

10 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Seems he's a reformed character now.....he's back down the Mammary Stadium and "In Wael" he trusts.  Fickle bugger doesn't seem to care about him being a Johnny Foreigner by the seems of it!

I would like to think that if a City fan had been tried and convicted of such an act he would be subject to a lifetime banning order by the club, but obviously such things don't phase the fewers....just makes him more one of them!

Of course he is..

37 minutes ago, Offside said:

I’ve got very fond memories of Phil Tottle’s commentary and match reports. Despite the sinking feeling whenever the presenter said “and over to Phil Tottle, where there’s been a goal at the City game”. 

The stuff of nightmares on a midweek game, interrupting a record with the jingle "Radio Bristol Sport - goal news", and off to PT who'd invariably advise City had conceded 

58 minutes ago, Offside said:

Yes always feared the worst when they said over to phil tottle nothing changes does it  :laugh:

2 hours ago, walnutroof said:

One of his favouirtes was roverz backed by a hughe following away to my left

1 hour ago, The Gasbuster said:

Always chuckled at his pronunciation of the word "off", he would say "awf".

Lost count of the times Ian bloody Alexander got sent awf against us, or how may times Devon White was caught awfside.

Yep and he always said players used to ‘’crawss’ the ball for the striker to miss the ‘gawl’ ... ??

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Of Course it was (according to CH!), but surely that doesn't give him licence to repeat it live on air.

I have heard loads of racist 'jokes' in my time, but I wouldn't dream of repeating them in public, and most certainly not during a live broadcast. 

Is saying Devon White isn't white racist? Tommy Black wasn't black.

Archived