IGNORED

Adge Cutler & Bristol City

CyderInACan

Just seen on Twitter that today marks the 47th anniversary of Adge's untimely death.

All these years later, with Drink up thy Zyder still being played after a home win despite being the best part of 60 years old, as well as us still running out to One for the Bristol City it's quite a legacy for one man (and band) to be so intertwined in our history. Who hasn't belted out Drink up thy Zyder at the top of their voice after some of our most famous victories (or any victory at the moment would probably do) 

Can't help thinking City are much better off with having his songs as part of the fabric of the club than not. 

RIP Adge - will raise a glass for you tonight :drunk2:

24 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Live at the Royal Oak has never been available for streaming.

True dat. Most of the tracks are on Spotify though here after the Wurzels stuff: 

But I do have the Live at the Royal Oak Long Player, a true family heirloom! 

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

I always recall Adge in our lounge at Christmas having a drink with Dad. His tipple was always red wine. Acker Bilk also visited one year.

You can't leave it like that Tone. How come he knew your dad?

I’m sure I remember Adge & The Wurzels playing on the pitch either before a game or at half time. Would have been late 60s.

Anyone else confirm or is my memory playing games?

This is a bit of a long shot as I can't find anything with via Google, but I have a vivid recollection of a remake that Adge did of "Drink Up Thy Zider".  It was definitely Adge and the Wurzels (rather than a Wurzels only version) and I am thinking late 60s/early 70s.

The chorus of DUTZ had been changed to:-

"Play up The City, Play up The City,

Bang 'em in there one, two, three"

I can't remember any more of the changed lyrics.  I am pretty sure that it was just played over the tannoy at Ashton Gate and never released in a commercial sense, but I am not even sure of that.  And because I cannot find anything about that version, or have ever seen it mentioned on here, I am beginning to wonder if I dreamt the whole thing up!

Anyone any recollections?

13 hours ago, BigTone said:

I always recall Adge in our lounge at Christmas having a drink with Dad. His tipple was always red wine. Acker Bilk also visited one year.

That is some memory. Pretty sure Adge picked up his love for a drop of tinto whilst living in the Basque Country. And who could blame him eh, @EnclosureSurge

28 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I never saw Adge performing but his music and lyrics are still great to hear.

The Bristol Bears sing Blackbird in the dressing room after winning games.

The Club should use Adge's music much more at City games. Easy to remember and sing and Unique to our club!

I'll give you:

THEE'S GOT'N WHERE THEE CASSN'T BACK'N, HASSN'T

18 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

If you ever find yourself in some corner of a foreign field, alone, and needing help, then simply sing Blackbird at the top of your voice, and the men of Somerset shall answer.

I'm from Worcestershire and I'm joining in. HOW'S THEE FATHER

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I never saw Adge performing but his music and lyrics are still great to hear.

The Bristol Bears sing Blackbird in the dressing room after winning games.

The Club should use Adge's music much more at City games. Easy to remember and sing and Unique to our club!

The Somerset cricket team also sings Blackbird after their numerous victories - they use #Blackbird all the time on their social media channels too - superb! 

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

CHOON!

'Now thee's been an got'n where thee cassn't back'n hassn't, so what thee's gonna do about n now?'

Poetry, pure poetry! 

Indeed.

One of my old favourites was always The Charlton Mackrell Jug Band, where the liberties Adge takes with the lyrics manage to take poetic licence to a new level.

Of course, living over here, their trip to France has always amused me:

One fine day on holiday
They took the motor car abroad
With a brand new GB plate they’d head for France
For Flo and Joe were keen to see
The night delights of gay Paris
Snatch an hour up Eiffel Tower
And grab some quick romance
But ‘twas near the Place Pigalle
Got jammed up a back alley
And woke up everybody in Monmartay
Gendarme said ’Ooh la la, oui oui’
And Joe said ‘Don’t tell I tell ‘ee’
‘They Parasites all hollered out real hartay’

Many years ago, back in the early 1970s, Adge and the Wurzels actually played live at a holiday camp we were staying in near Woolacombe. 

As might be imagined, the audience was from all parts of the country and my recollection is that everybody enjoyed the show immensely even if, I suspect, many of them couldn't understand half the words.

I also remember they were all in the bar prior to performing and, after their concert finished, they returned to the bar and were still there when we had to leave when closing time was called. 

Archived