IGNORED

Who are Bristol City's Rivals?

sportprof101

Hey Bristol City Fans,

Since 2014, we—the students and professors of the Know Rivalry Project—have been studying rivalry for sports in North America with the help of message board members. Now we are expanding our research to the EFL Championship. Please help us ensure that Bristol City FC are included by taking 9 minutes to complete our updated survey:

https://umassamherst.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3FdJ8eN2EgFCfCB?mbsrc=krdir&grpID=1422

Our previous results in the US have been featured in numerous sports media outlets, as well as the Wall Street Journal and New York Times. You can view those results, links to media coverage, and learn more about us at our KnowRivalry.com website.

We use the Qualtrics online survey software for data collection. This academic research has been approved by two US universities' Institutional Review Boards (IRB) and it poses no risks to respondents. You'll find more information on the disclosure agreement that is required to start the survey. Thank you for helping us to include Bristol City FC by participating and please share this with any other fans that may also help.

Jonah, Student Researcher, Northern Kentucky University

Dr. Joe Cobbs, Northern Kentucky University

Dr. David Tyler, University of Massachusetts—Amherst

I definitely hate Cardiff more than Rovers. Maybe a generational thing and the fact they played in red ?.

But I’m sure if we played the gas in a game of actual importance (League/FA Cup) it would be a lot more ‘interesting’.

We don't have any rivals.

Old ens can remember our rivalry with the Gas from 20 odd years ago...and still argue that.

Swindon isn't and has never been a rival...it's just been a club nearer us than any other, like Cardiff. 

How can you call rivals teams that are 40 miles away or two leagues apart?

It's probably why we are so 'nice'...no local competition or rivalry, no  passion, no pressure etc.

Just a bunch of overpaid pussies, playing football under no pressure, in a nice City, with no hostility, apart from a few rants on a few forums, overseen by a nice owner looking for nice DNA which equals...' nice'. 

It's a bit like being a billionaire who can only buy friends and buy prostitutes...loads of money but doesn't get any respect or real love.

The saddest you can actually be.

Our traditional rivals are the gas (Rovers) but until the 1970s it was possible to support both clubs. People would go and cheer on whichever club was playing at home that week.  
Something happened in the 70’s to change all that and the clubs supporters became bitter rivals, but it’s years since the 2 Bristol clubs last met in the league and the rivalry now is between keyboard warriors these days  

Cardiff have been more of a ‘proper’ rival due to them being the closest opponents in the same league  and the England v Wales element. I myself nearly got caught up in some nasty violence once in Cardiff and we weren’t even playing them that day. 
I don’t really see Swindon as a big rival - again it’s been 5 years since we last met competitively. 
The nastiest fans are Millwall fans - but everyone knows that and the Millwall fans are actually PROUD of their reputation. 

Rovers. Swindon. Cardiff in that order for me.

I think it very much depends where you were brought up and when you started following City.

I just don't know any Cardiff fans to consider them a main rival.

It’s definitely a generational thing. As someone growing up in the 80s, it’s the fewers, no-one else comes close. 

I don’t like Swindon or Cardiff, and it’s satisfying to beat them or when things happen like Swindon’s relegation this season, but most of the time I don’t give them a second thought. 

I dont like swindon,

They are still banging on about being surrounded that day.

Thousands, on the pitch, god knows how many outside.

They did bring a massive following that day, and the fa cup game they brought loads too.

We didnt get much joy against them on the pitch, at home in those days, Recall micky hazard playing a blinder for them, here early 90s.

Good player he was,

At the moment, Cardiff are the only team that come close to a rival. It’s not a major rivalry but they are geographically close and in the same division.

After that, it is tough to find any. It is years since we have been in the same division as Rovers or Swindon. I could not name who plays for either team and take no interest in their results. I can’t think of a team as a rival when there is simply no competition between us.

I honestly care more about non local teams in the Championship far more than I do Rovers these days but, even then, there isn’t much. Swansea fans seem to get a bit overexcited when they play us, Millwall annoy me at the moment as they beat us so easily and Birmingham fans come across as implausibly arrogant arseholes but rivals would be strong in any sense for those.

It’s all a bit sparse.

12 hours ago, spudski said:

Swindon isn't and has never been a rival...it's just been a club nearer us than any other, like Cardiff. 

My earliest memories of watching City were heated matches against Swindon and Cardiff. Even as a youngster I remember there was a vast difference between playing them and playing other teams.

Both are rivals to us and both consider us rivals however, like us, they have another club they despise even more. The difference with our situation is that we rarely play the other team.

If I were being a cynical Brit, I'd say our biggest enemy was our over-inflated view of our own might.

But in reality, and treating your question as serious (ever heard of Wikipedia, honestly?) then the main rivals are:

• Bristol Rovers: traditional same town rivals, geographical split of the city and surrounding hinterland along red vs blue lines. This has been watered down by the lack of opportunities to play them over the last near 20 years, meaning that for many City fans, a local derby is a rarity; older fans like me grew up seeing them twice a season at least. Check out some of the football rivalry websites to find out just how 'keen' this rivalry can be...
  • Cardiff City: England vs Wales, opposite sides of an estuary, cultural, political...etc. Now much keener than it used to be, as we've spent more time in the same division over the last few seasons. Quite bitter, but then Cardiff aren't exactly in love with Swansea, either
  • Swindon Town: milder rivalry, more based on annoyance that they exist than anything. Swindon are like a distant cousin who occasionally visits, and who is irritating but mostly harmless.
  • Cheltenham Town/Yeovil Town/Forest Green Rovers: nothing to see here, we really couldn't care less, in fact, quite a lot of affection among City fans for them.

Special mention for Reading: some 'history' between the fans, dating back to the 1980s. Reading is a small town full of inbreds, somewhere near London. 

HTH

It sadly hangs on who is the nearest team in the same league as us at the time.

For pure fickleness, a few years back the ground was packed for the big derby game against... Yeovil.

Until the West Country generates some decent teams playing consistently at the same level, it's all transient and slightly meaningless.

We instead are demoted to putting our vitriol into ex-players rather than meaningful local rivals.

I don’t see any club as ‘rivals’ but there are clubs that dislike immensely - Swindon and Cardiff. Swindon because they’re relatively close and because the few fans that they have seem to believe that there a far bigger club than they actually are.

Cardiff because historically there’s always been Wales/England element to the games and the old Ninian Park was an absolute shit hole, full of angry taffs wanting to cause trouble. It was the most hostile stadium I ever went to. That was lost when they moved to the new stadium.

Erm.... 5.7 million views on the Basement Rovers thread would tend to suggest it’s The Sags....and that would be correct. The only reason though is by birth, they being located in the same fine city as us. Any other measure they are currently an irrelevance. Those of a certain vintage can, however, recall more competitive times on and off the pitch which engendered a life-long ‘hatred’ (although most of us know and are even best mates with blue fewers).

Cardiff, Millwall and Birmingham are the traditional ‘edgy’ games where there is always fun and games at least off the pitch. Worthy of note, but of less significance, Swansea and Plymouth. 

Archived