IGNORED

Who are Bristol City's Rivals?

sportprof101

24 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Rovers being our rivals is similar to the relationship between Notts County and Nottingham Forest. Its a chasm!

Forest see Derby then Leicester as their main rivals and County see Mansfield and Chesterfield as the big enemy. 

58 minutes ago, big dosser said:

will always be the gas for me hate them with a passion, but the welsh  are a close second with swindon and reading joint 3rd

For me

The only real one is the Gas

Long way behind in 2nd is Swindon

The only time Cardiff even came close was in the Earnshaw/Kavanagh years 

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Manchester to Liverpool is 40 miles and quite the rivalry. I don't think distance comes into it

For many fans it depends who you know, I don't really care about Rovers because I only know a couple of people who support them. Never had the "banter" directly with them as we've never been in the same league since we've been of an age to even discuss it.

Swindon though, I hate them. Grew up in Wiltshire, everyone I knew was Swindon or City, we lived for those games at school. Usually 20-30 of us travel up together on the train and head off to our different ends of the ground, then plenty of abuse and arguing on the train home. Sadly they usually got the better of us.

In terms of players, I dont think they really care anymore unless they are local lads.

It is mainly down to distance for us though imo. I'd say the rivalry between Utd and Leeds was bigger than with Liverpool. By fans...not the media hype.

We didn't really give two hoots about Cardiff until we started playing them in our league. The same can be said with Swindon. Most fans have forgotten about Cardiff and Swindon nowadays...it's not such a big thing imo...and they don't see us as their biggest rivals. 

The Gas used to be...but not now...just long distant memories. 

53 minutes ago, spudski said:

It is mainly down to distance for us though imo. I'd say the rivalry between Utd and Leeds was bigger than with Liverpool. By fans...not the media hype.

We didn't really give two hoots about Cardiff until we started playing them in our league. The same can be said with Swindon. Most fans have forgotten about Cardiff and Swindon nowadays...it's not such a big thing imo...and they don't see us as their biggest rivals. 

The Gas used to be...but not now...just long distant memories. 

You’ll be surprised what Cardiff fans think of us actually, I’ve worked with plenty of Cardiff lads over the years and the ones of a certain vintage still consider us as their main rivals whilst the younger lot consider it swansea.. Their was a thread on a Cardiff forum a fews years back and it was fairly split between us and Swansea if I remember correctly.

As I’ve said earlier in this thread if we were to draw Rovers in the Fa Cup anytime soon it would be absolutely carnage on and off the pitch - look at the scenes in 2013 in the early rounds of the bloody JPT ffs..  there is still a lot of hatred for eachother between both sets of fans.

On 05/05/2021 at 17:20, YCbrs said:

I definitely hate Cardiff more than Rovers. Maybe a generational thing and the fact they played in red ?.

But I’m sure if we played the gas in a game of actual importance (League/FA Cup) it would be a lot more ‘interesting’.

You are joking arent you ? I hate Rovers with every fibre of my body . Cardiff I dont like and Swindon are a joke of a football club but the sags ,dont get me started .

4 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Rovers being our rivals is similar to the relationship between Notts County and Nottingham Forest. Its a chasm!

It’s still a healthy rivalry though - back through my working days I engaged with literally hundreds of people from Nottingham and I spent so much time in their fair city - the rivalry up there is pretty intense, believe me. Try calling one of the teams ‘Notts Forest’ and see how you get on - so many ignorant people do that (including quite a few on here) - the County fans absolutely hate that, it may seem trivial to outsiders but to them it is very, very important. And, as in any two club city, they hate each other, they really do - they are proper rivals - in the same way Bristol City and Bristol Rovers are rivals - league standings mean nothing - a rivalry is a rivalry ... ?

Rovers.

The fact this forum has a thread with 2479 pages dedicated to how rubbish Rovers are backs this up.

On a Saturday the second result I'm interested in is Rovers and take comfort in the fact they are more rubbish than us.

The days we played Rovers in the league and Gloucester cup showed what rivalry is like. Going into school or work on the Monday to face the rival fans. 

14 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It’s still a healthy rivalry though - back through my working days I engaged with literally hundreds of people from Nottingham and I spent so much time in their fair city - the rivalry up there is pretty intense, believe me. Try calling one of the teams ‘Notts Forest’ and see how you get on - so many ignorant people do that (including quite a few on here) - the County fans absolutely hate that, it may seem trivial to outsiders but to them it is very, very important. And, as in any two club city, they hate each other, they really do - they are proper rivals - in the same way Bristol City and Bristol Rovers are rivals - league standings mean nothing - a rivalry is a rivalry ... ?

Excuse my ignorance BS4, yes I've heard this before, but don't most call both of them 'Notts'? What's the distinction?

Notts forest, Notts County?

19 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

For me

The only real one is the Gas

Long way behind in 2nd is Swindon

The only time Cardiff even came close was in the Earnshaw/Kavanagh years 

What a player he was.

On 05/05/2021 at 18:37, spudski said:

We don't have any rivals.

Old ens can remember our rivalry with the Gas from 20 odd years ago...and still argue that.

Swindon isn't and has never been a rival...it's just been a club nearer us than any other, like Cardiff. 

How can you call rivals teams that are 40 miles away or two leagues apart?

It's probably why we are so 'nice'...no local competition or rivalry, no  passion, no pressure etc.

Just a bunch of overpaid pussies, playing football under no pressure, in a nice City, with no hostility, apart from a few rants on a few forums, overseen by a nice owner looking for nice DNA which equals...' nice'. 

It's a bit like being a billionaire who can only buy friends and buy prostitutes...loads of money but doesn't get any respect or real love.

The saddest you can actually be.

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Excuse my ignorance BS4, yes I've heard this before, but don't most call both of them 'Notts'? What's the distinction?

Notts forest, Notts County?

They say up there that Nottingham Forest represents the city of Nottingham whereas Notts County represents the county of Nottinghamshire - hence they use Notts, like the cricket team, as it is the abbreviation for Nottinghamshire - they are very picky about that ?

3 hours ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

Rovers.

The fact this forum has a thread with 2479 pages dedicated to how rubbish Rovers are backs this up.

On a Saturday the second result I'm interested in is Rovers and take comfort in the fact they are more rubbish than us.

The days we played Rovers in the league and Gloucester cup showed what rivalry is like. Going into school or work on the Monday to face the rival fans. 

The Gloucester cup, blimey I had almost forgotten about that, probably outside of this area meant nothing, to me as a teenager meant everything, no exaggeration to say it was my FA cup and League cup rolled into one, sometimes it was the only opportunity to play them in years, when we beat them (which we often did ) it felt to me as a kid as good as winning the world cup that's how fierce the rivalry was in the 70s and 80s between us, in some ways I wish it would somehow come back, can you ever see it? no neither can I which I suppose is why we have to look elsewhere for our rivalry now and that makes Cardiff our only credible rivals.

4 hours ago, pillred said:

The Gloucester cup, blimey I had almost forgotten about that, probably outside of this area meant nothing, to me as a teenager meant everything, no exaggeration to say it was my FA cup and League cup rolled into one, sometimes it was the only opportunity to play them in years, when we beat them (which we often did ) it felt to me as a kid as good as winning the world cup that's how fierce the rivalry was in the 70s and 80s between us, in some ways I wish it would somehow come back, can you ever see it? no neither can I which I suppose is why we have to look elsewhere for our rivalry now and that makes Cardiff our only credible rivals.

The Gloucester Cup Final like the boat race City v Rovers every year. 1 year at Eastville next at Ashton Gate. Usually pre-season I loved it as a kid. I wish we could play rovers every year and often say to some gashead mates I wish we were both in the same league that's when you get real rivalry. I work with some Man Utd fans and I can't understand why they don't see Man City as there biggest rivals.

3 hours ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

The Gloucester Cup Final like the boat race City v Rovers every year. 1 year at Eastville next at Ashton Gate. Usually pre-season I loved it as a kid. I wish we could play rovers every year and often say to some gashead mates I wish we were both in the same league that's when you get real rivalry. I work with some Man Utd fans and I can't understand why they don't see Man City as there biggest rivals.

Just for bragging rights alone, we all know it means nothing but hey who cares!

Archived