IGNORED

All English Champions League Final moved to Porto

freezer

Fair play that both Chelsea and Man City have reached the final. Great to see. 

But, is it really an 'all English final', as its been described? 

Sure, its two English clubs, but between both teams they have about 5 English players I think. Hardly English clubs then actually in reality apart from on paper. 

I know money talks but maybe it'd be better for our national side and football in general if teams were more restricted as to the number of foreign players allowed in a side, so more, English talent had a chance to compete and enhance our national game. 

The only thing English about the premier league is it’s location. And I wouldn’t be surprised if that was to change at some stage, maybe not in my lifetime but one day. 

it’s not just English clubs though, how many Frenchmen played for PSG last night and how many Spanish for real? Not many I expect.

It is good to see even though it is debatable how 'all English' the tie is as you say. However, it is great to see the likes of Foden, Mount, Stones and Walker all playing key roles in the semi finals. That can only be a good thing for English football. 

Walker, Stones, Foden, Sterling, Mount, Chilwell, James, Abraham..

8 players. It's better than it was 5 years ago that's for sure when barely any of these sides had English players. 7 of those will be in or around the England starting 11 come the Euros too. 

I'm just saying, it's better than it was not so long ago with the likes of Arsenal regularly fielding a team without an English player

If Young British players have to compete against the best in the world to gain places in these teams, is that not better for the national team. There was a shortage of really top UK technical players whilst we were catching up. Now we have an abundance of young talent because they have had to compete with an play with the best in the world.

I prefer it when English players compete at the top level on pure merit rather than putting arbitrary rules to try and promote their use. The English players that are there know they are there because they are good, there would always be doubts if there were restrictions. 

The national side won't be any better because someone who isn't a better player is playing more games. It may even make it worse with those that have the drive and ambition not having to work as hard to make it in the league. 

As all players say - quality competition for places makes them better players. 

23 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

It will make me laugh how many so called fans would go if they could get a ticket ,there was not travel restrictions etc.etc 

and have probably never watched them in there lives 

If there weren't restrictions etc., almost all Man City and Chelsea fans who attended the final would be season ticket holders or fans who have accumulated 'points' by attending games, I would imagine. 

1 hour ago, sticks 1969 said:

It will make me laugh how many so called fans would go if they could get a ticket ,there was not travel restrictions etc.etc 

and have probably never watched them in there lives 

What an odd thing to say. Do you think these teams usually play in empty stadia and the fans only come out for cup finals? 

We can all go on about money from foreign countries etc, but Man City play proper footy. In Phil Foden they have an English player that Southgate should build the England team around - he is a huge talent. I hope he rips it up and shows the world in the final.

2 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

A kind of illegal ESL Cup final.....interesting to see if the final gets moved from lockdown Istanbul to UK......

Doesn't sound like it will, which is totally bonkers!! 

2 minutes ago, Selred said:

Doesn't sound like it will, which is totally bonkers!! 

It would make sense although Wembley has the playoffs that weekend so would have to find another venue.

• Admin

The clubs are English and represent the Premier League

Even our National sides are not filled with people born in an actual country so not sure why a club side is any different 

Hopefully Arsenal can over turn their deficit this evening and we'll completely dominate both competitions

9 hours ago, freezer said:

Fair play that both Chelsea and Man City have reached the final. Great to see. 

But, is it really an 'all English final', as its been described? 

Sure, its two English clubs, but between both teams they have about 5 English players I think. Hardly English clubs then actually in reality apart from on paper. 

I know money talks but maybe it'd be better for our national side and football in general if teams were more restricted as to the number of foreign players allowed in a side, so more, English talent had a chance to compete and enhance our national game. 

Regarding the national team is it better having many players playing in a league of lower standard or fewer players playing in a league with high standard? after all there are only 11 in the team. At the moment I don't think England are suffering from a lack of suitable players for the squad

Two English clubs in the European Cup final - that’ll piss off the Spanish, French, Germans and Italians and will have a detrimental effect on European viewing figures. 

I certainly wouldn’t bother to watch the final if it were two clubs from another European country and I daresay that there’ll be Europeans with the same view.

I can’t say I watch a lot of football on telly, outside of the super reds this year, but having watched these 2 semi finals I was astounded how good both Chelsea and Man City were.

The speed, skill, effort and sheer beauty of the football they played, moved me more than any football I’ve seen for as long as I can remember. 

35 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I can’t say I watch a lot of football on telly, outside of the super reds this year, but having watched these 2 semi finals I was astounded how good both Chelsea and Man City were.

The speed, skill, effort and sheer beauty of the football they played, moved me more than any football I’ve seen for as long as I can remember. 

Thought the same too. Man city and Chelsea were never in trouble Tuesday/Wednesday night and could have upped it a couple of gears if needed. So comfortable on the ball. The intricate passing, close touch.  Superb to watch.  One thing that stood out for me was how the goalies are good footballers in their own right - have the ability to pick out a pass that used to be the remit of Paul Scholes et al.  Man City's first goal came about from a great pass from the goalie.  

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Two English clubs in the European Cup final - that’ll piss off the Spanish, French, Germans and Italians and will have a detrimental effect on European viewing figures. 

I certainly wouldn’t bother to watch the final if it were two clubs from another European country and I daresay that there’ll be Europeans with the same view.

But it's just the 2 best sides from a European competition? You're telling me Bayern v Dortmund and Real v Atletico didn't have an interesting back story to it?

And on that - we're in the middle of a pandemic and expected to fly teams (and fans?) out to Turkey out to the final. Surely, just this once, they should just move it back to Wembley? It would make so much more sense.

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Its bloody bonkers. Just host it in England FFS. 

They really should go back to the old way of seeing who makes the final before deciding on the location.

You'd have thought that UEFA would have learned after all the empty seats at the Europa League final 2 years ago. Arsenal v Chelsea in Baku ffs! The city didn't even have enough hotel rooms to cater for the fans so many people didn't even bother to go. How can the governing body of European football be so inept. And yet, here we are, in the middle of a pandemic, looking at potentially 2 all English cup finals being played in the 2 countries in Europe with the highest Covid rates. It beggars belief.

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Its bloody bonkers. Just host it in England FFS. 

There is a great argument for it, we're ahead of the game with regards to vaccinations, cases are on the slide, less chance of infections as you're obviously doing a lot less travelling.

However, the venues for these finals are agreed a few years ahead of time. I doubt the hosts would be happy at having to relinquish their share of the revenue for it - although with that being said it won't be as much as it should be!

I think the official stance of "it's not being moved" is more a case of 2 of the founding member clubs of the ESL getting to the final. If it was 2 Dutch sides, would they move it then?

Chelsea and Man City could have shot themselves in the foot just by being involved with that scheme.

Archived