IGNORED

All English Champions League Final moved to Porto

freezer

23 minutes ago, Taz said:

If it was 2 Dutch sides, would they move it then?

Chelsea and Man City could have shot themselves in the foot just by being involved with that scheme.

This has nothing to do with the ESL. It's about the pandemic, and the sheer stupidity of sending thousands of people to a foreign country currently in lockdown. Its utter stupidity.

As for finding a venue - im sure there are several stadiums in England available. Man City picking up the trophy at Old Trafford anyone?

• Admin
2 hours ago, nebristolred said:

But it's just the 2 best sides from a European competition? You're telling me Bayern v Dortmund and Real v Atletico didn't have an interesting back story to it?

And on that - we're in the middle of a pandemic and expected to fly teams (and fans?) out to Turkey out to the final. Surely, just this once, they should just move it back to Wembley? It would make so much more sense.

Sorry to be pedantic but the UK is most certainly not in the middle of a pandemic.

Teams have already proven how safe it is to play around Europe with no issues.

Fans will only go if Turkey is on any safe list, otherwise like finals over here at the moment it'll be filled with locals

I do agree about the venue being nuts for an English final but the logistics would be too much to change in a matter of weeks

5 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

This has nothing to do with the ESL. It's about the pandemic, and the sheer stupidity of sending thousands of people to a foreign country currently in lockdown.

If the country isn't safe nobody will be travelling !!

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

Sorry to be pedantic but the UK is most certainly not in the middle of a pandemic.

Fans will only go if Turkey is on any safe list, otherwise like finals over here at the moment it'll be filled with locals

I do agree about the venue being nuts for an English final but the logistics would be too much to change in a matter of weeks

Considering the definition of a pandemic, we are in the middle of one along with everyone else, we’re just doing better than most.

It might be “safe” for teams in secure bubbles etc but it’s not safe for fans at the moment, and more importantly not legal yet either.

What’s so difficult about the logistics? It’s 40 odd players, a few officials and such like. Just promise Istanbul the final in 2025 (I think that’s the next undecided one) and host it at a Venue in England that’s free (which is probably all but Wembley that weekend) and either make it a trial event or allow 10k people as per the regulations by then.

This is a chance for people to back up the claim that football is for the fans. Do the right thing and allow English fans to attend the final by hosting it domestically.

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:
18 minutes ago, phantom said:

the definition of a pandemic, we are in the middle of one along with everyone else, we’re just doing better than most.

It might be “safe” for teams in secure bubbles etc but it’s not safe for fans at the moment, and more importantly not legal yet either.

What’s so difficult about the logistics? It’s 40 odd players, a few officials and such like. Just promise Istanbul the final in 2025 (I think that’s the next undecided one) and host it at a Venue in England that’s free (which is probably all but Wembley that weekend) and either make it a trial event or allow 10k people as per the regulations by then.

This is a chance for people to back up the claim that football is for the fans. Do the right thing and allow English fans to attend the final by hosting it domestically.

But we are in the middle of a pandemic. I suspect you might not know what one is. 

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Considering the definition of a pandemic, we are in the middle of one along with everyone else, we’re just doing better than most.

Sure Turkey would rather have it when you can have a full allocation of fans anyway so just give them it again in the next available slot would make sense.

Was supposed to be in Istanbul last year originally but was pushed back a year, seems a bit harsh not to push it back again for them so they can have a better chance of hosting a final with a full stadium. Guessing at this stage less than a month out it is too late to change but I still think that common sense should allow them to be flexible given the current situation, move the final to somewhere in this country and let Istanbul have it next year instead. For UEFA delegates, sponsors etc to change their plans at this stage would probably be a logistical nightmare and if Madrid/Paris had won in the previous nights instead this would be a complete non starter so I can see it from the other side too.

22 minutes ago, David Brent said:

As a Bristol City fan, I can’t think of anything worse than an all-English final. Just me?

Have you not seen us play all season? I cant list countless City games this season which are worse than an all-English final. Seems a bizarre thing to be dramatic about.

Villa offering their stadium as a venue, but that's pretty much a non-starter due to Villa Park not meeting European standards for final grounds apparently (according to Sky Sports News). Surely if there was a chance then Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool or United would offer their ground if Wembley can't be used (championship play off) 

1 minute ago, Selred said:

Have you not seen us play all season? I cant list countless City games this season which are worse than an all-English final. Seems a bizarre thing to be dramatic about.

as an oldie I agree an all English or all German/ Spanish is just rubbish.

Only the champions should be in the "CHAMPIONS" league then for whatever reason the final will be between teams from different countries. How the frig can Chelsea or Man C be the EUROPEAN Champions of Champions when they were not even Champions for their home competition in question - just rubbish money making clap trap (that feels better)

4 hours ago, Selred said:

Doesn't sound like it will, which is totally bonkers!! 

Not really, the Turks would have made special arrangements and organised the event to host the prestigious final and put their country in the ‘ shop window ‘ of the world since it was announced that it would be played there .

You cannot just turn round and say ‘ sorry ‘ but it’s going to be in England now .

Just add into that , is Wembley available ? 

Should it be played there? Chelsea could have ‘ home ‘ advantage. 

I follow the logic but there’s loads more to it than just a football match.

3 minutes ago, Markman said:

Only the champions should be in the "CHAMPIONS" league then for whatever reason the final will be between teams from different countries. How the frig can Chelsea or Man C be the EUROPEAN Champions of Champions when they were not even Champions for their home competition in question - just rubbish money making clap trap (that feels better)

That boat sailed long ago dude

7 minutes ago, Markman said:

as an oldie I agree an all English or all German/ Spanish is just rubbish.

Champions League is easier to say than "The Highest Rated club From Each European League Based on Their Co-Efficience Score League".

Makes me laugh when people get so upset that it's called the Champions League. It's just a cup competition with the 'best' clubs from European Leagues in it.

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

This has nothing to do with the ESL. It's about the pandemic, and the sheer stupidity of sending thousands of people to a foreign country currently in lockdown. Its utter stupidity.

As for finding a venue - im sure there are several stadiums in England available. Man City picking up the trophy at Old Trafford anyone?

I'm aware of that, but the question I posed was would UEFA have been more likely to have agreed to the final being moved, if both clubs in it were not recently involved in pushing to start up the ESL?

I agree with it being completely absurd holding the final there during the current climate. The two clubs involved in it though probably haven't helped their cause by being involved with the ESL.

37 minutes ago, David Brent said:

As a Bristol City fan, I can’t think of anything worse than an all-English final. Just me?

An all-English final with one of the teams being Bristol Rovers? :shocking:

19 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Not really, the Turks would have made special arrangements and organised the event to host the prestigious final and put their country in the ‘ shop window ‘ of the world since it was announced that it would be played there .

You cannot just turn round and say ‘ sorry ‘ but it’s going to be in England now .

Just add into that , is Wembley available ? 

Should it be played there? Chelsea could have ‘ home ‘ advantage. 

I follow the logic but there’s loads more to it than just a football match.

Their country is in a lockdown. This isn't a usual situation. No fans can go watch unless they quarantine for 10 days. Football without fans is bonkers.

Wembley isn't available, but Villa have offered to host it.

Sorry but "shop window" doesn't work, with no fans in a stadium, in a country you can't really visit. Let them have it next year.

34 minutes ago, Selred said:

I’m a Bristol City fan so you can safely assume I’ve watched us. 

I don’t want English teams to succeed in Europe. The quality of our games is irrelevant.

3 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

City and Chelsea to be given 4000 tickets each as well. 

How are fans supposed to go to Turkey when it's in lockdown?

4000 each from 25,000 apparently. 

Shows how much UEFA care about the fans. 

21 minutes ago, downendcity said:

An all-English final with one of the teams being Bristol Rovers? :shocking:

Careful, with talk like that we'll be accusing you of being one of the deluded 40,000!!!

1 hour ago, phantom said:

No you're absolutely right, but the point still stands. Why have it filled with locals when you could have it in England and have actual fans here? Usually actual fans can get across Europe but it's not looking likely.

Great to see both Chelsea men's & women's teams reach their respective Champions League finals. Don't think anything like that has ever happened before.

I'd have rooted for Man City to win the UCL final because it's someone new, but now Id say I want Chelsea to win, especially if I want Chelsea to beat Barcelona in the UWCL final!

Archived