IGNORED

All English Champions League Final moved to Porto

freezer

6 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

MADNESS. It should have been played at a neutral venue here. Crazy decision during a pandemic to encourage 6k fans to travel abroad.  

Idiots.

But UEFA wanted 2000 to travel from various countries to UK with no quarantine  

• Admin
24 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

There is a rumour circulating that UEFA initially proposed Wembley for the game, on the condition that the UK government would waive quarantine restrictions for the thousand odd UEFA officials who would be at the game. The govt rejected this, hence why the game has gone to Porto

Whether that is true or not i have no clue

This is correct

Don't have a problem with this. Uefa tried to get it moved to England but both them and the UK gov couldn't agree on the terms. Given the circumstances I think Portugal is a good solution, yes it will be pricey for fans but that's usually the case with European finals I guess. At least they can attend though and it will be nice to see the stadiums with fans again. If people want to complain about covid then I would like to point you towards the Europa League Final in Poland which has x10 the covid rates of Portugal at the moment. ?

15 minutes ago, phantom said:

Assume you realise that they places ARE SAFE to visit and are aware of the checks EVERY supporter attending has to go through?

Why make 2 English teams/support staff and fans travel to another country to play a game during a Pandemic?   Now it would've been SAFER to hold it here given our current low COVID numbers and progress on vaccinations (caveat that the Indian strain is causing concern so I wonder what the next few weeks will bring between now and the 29th?). MADNESS to play this abroad. 

If Portugals numbers increase and go back on to the Amber list (after the 17th), how easy do you think it'll be for fans and UEFA to change their plans or take in to account the Amber rules? 

I wonder how many fans that have COVID (without realising) or know and think **** it, will still travel?

How many fans that do travel do you think will honestly take a COVID test when they get back?  Minimum. 

How many do you think would quarantine if their test is positive? Minimum.

I believe this risk is too great that this is just going to be another ridiculous decision (that could easily have been avoided) to spread cases between countries. We're so close to getting more and more vaccinated and then these IDIOTS decide to encourage teams and fans from the same country to travel to another country.  

• Admin
1 hour ago, Loco Rojo said:

Why make 2 English teams/support staff and fans travel to another country to play a game during a Pandemic?   Now it would've been SAFER to hold it here given our current low COVID numbers and progress on vaccinations (caveat that the Indian strain is causing concern so I wonder what the next few weeks will bring between now and the 29th?). MADNESS to play this abroad. 

If Portugals numbers increase and go back on to the Amber list (after the 17th), how easy do you think it'll be for fans and UEFA to change their plans or take in to account the Amber rules? 

I wonder how many fans that have COVID (without realising) or know and think **** it, will still travel?

How many fans that do travel do you think will honestly take a COVID test when they get back?  Minimum. 

How many do you think would quarantine if their test is positive? Minimum.

I believe this risk is too great that this is just going to be another ridiculous decision (that could easily have been avoided) to spread cases between countries. We're so close to getting more and more vaccinated and then these IDIOTS decide to encourage teams and fans from the same country to travel to another country.  

All valid points, but the problem is the UK are not budging on restrictions being loosened for those coming into the country so hosting here is a no go

On 06/05/2021 at 00:47, freezer said:

Fair play that both Chelsea and Man City have reached the final. Great to see. 

But, is it really an 'all English final', as its been described? 

Sure, its two English clubs, but between both teams they have about 5 English players I think. Hardly English clubs then actually in reality apart from on paper. 

I know money talks but maybe it'd be better for our national side and football in general if teams were more restricted as to the number of foreign players allowed in a side, so more, English talent had a chance to compete and enhance our national game. 

I lose interest these days TBH mostly for the reasons you detail. I think the proposed ESL was a superb way of bringing football back to normality. We really have missed a trick here by not letting it happen.

So, if I’ve got this right :

1,000 Uefa “VIP’s” would have to test and isolate if they were to play this in England. So they refused to come. 

1,000 Uefa “VIP’s” presumably have agreement from Portuguese authorities that they don’t have to test or isolate. 
So they play the game there instead. 

Meanwhile, 12,000 English football fans will be encouraged to travel to Portugal, with no requirement to isolate on their return. 

Plus, we know that football fans travel in large numbers to these finals without tickets. So let’s add a few more thousand travellers with no requirement to isolate on return. 

So, for the sake of a bunch of uefa prigs not wanting to stay in a hotel for a few days, instead we’ll let probably 20,000 + fans travel abroad, at great expense, with no isolation requirements. 

If Man City, Chelsea and the FA want to show they were serious about “football is for the fans”, after their recent shenanigans, how about this :
Say they won’t travel to Portugal. Arrange a friendly at Wembley between the two clubs.  Present a mock up of the trophy to the winner. Let uefa’s precious VIP’s travel to Portugal and sit in a stadium with no football being played. **** ‘em! 

Football across Europe, UEFA zone doesn't revolve around here @Harry all English final or not.

Contractual obligations etc, was a reason why moving it from Istanbul was tricky in the first instance. 

Had it been moved to Wembley this year, then a simple switch with the future Wembley scheduled CL final to Istanbul, don't see why not.

Nor sure where or why Lisbon should come into it?

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Football across Europe, UEFA zone doesn't revolve around here @Harry all English final or not.

Contractual obligations etc, was a reason why moving it from Istanbul was tricky in the first instance. 

Had it been moved to Wembley this year, then a simple switch with the future Wembley scheduled CL final to Istanbul, don't see why not.

Nor sure where or why Lisbon should come into it?

I never said football did revolve around here?? 
I’m suggesting that common sense ought to dictate. 
I mean, it’s not like a few million people have died or anything!! 

21 hours ago, phantom said:

There wasn't any way it could be played in the UK, next best thing is to play in a country that is safe to visit

For once UEFA have done something right

Assume you realise that they places ARE SAFE to visit and are aware of the checks EVERY supporter attending has to go through?

Why isn't there "any way it could be played in the UK" - there is, it just involves either UEFAs people getting here early and quarantining or forgoing their need to be here. 

They haven;t done the "right" thing for fans, they've done the "right" thing for them and the money.

Places might be "SAFE" to visit, doesn't mean it's allowed. Portugal have just extended their "state of calamity" no one's allowed in for non-critical reasons.

11 hours ago, Pezo said:

If we ever got to a champions league final and it was moved to this country it would seem quite an anti climax compared to playing some where like Turkey or Portugal.

You'd rather it was played in Istanbul and you couldn't attend than in England and you could?

Sounds like fans will need to go in and out same day on specially chartered planes. A "bubble match" on steroids!

It's madness for anyone to suggest this game should be played anywhere but England given the finalists and the really promising low levels of covid and therefore risk in this country.

There's going to be 22k people at Wembley tomorrow for the FA Cup Final so we could have potentially held double the number of fans for the CL final than Porto currently can

• Admin
51 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Why isn't there "any way it could be played in the UK" - there is, it just involves either UEFAs people getting here early and quarantining or forgoing their need to be here. 

They haven;t done the "right" thing for fans, they've done the "right" thing for them and the money.

Places might be "SAFE" to visit, doesn't mean it's allowed. Portugal have just extended their "state of calamity" no one's allowed in for non-critical reasons.

It's a lot more than just UEFA delegates, there is much more to hosting a game than just choosing a suitable ground

If they wanted to do it for money and not the fans they would have left the match in Turkey, but they have moved it to a country that has been indentified as being suitable

On 14/05/2021 at 10:45, phantom said:

It's a lot more than just UEFA delegates, there is much more to hosting a game than just choosing a suitable ground

If they wanted to do it for money and not the fans they would have left the match in Turkey, but they have moved it to a country that has been indentified as being suitable

Is there? Like what?

The crux of it is 2000 UEFA officials didnt get to waive quarantine requirements like they wanted to, so they moved it somewhere they could.

Leaving it in Turkey wouldn't have made financial sense, they couldn't get fans in. They've moved it somewhere they can get fans in AND get all their officials in. If it was just about fans, it would be in England.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11679/12309977/champions-league-final-manchester-city-owner-sheikh-mansour-to-pay-for-fans-trip

Great touch by Man City's owner though

On 06/05/2021 at 09:25, Robbored said:

Two English clubs in the European Cup final - that’ll piss off the Spanish, French, Germans and Italians and will have a detrimental effect on European viewing figures. 

I certainly wouldn’t bother to watch the final if it were two clubs from another European country and I daresay that there’ll be Europeans with the same view.

If those two 'foreign' clubs were (say) Bayern and Milan, I might.

Chelsea and Man City? Meh.

On 18/05/2021 at 15:42, MarcusX said:

Does his sportswashing ways no harm either.

Sounds flippant but it is absolutely good- credit on one level.

It's for a greater goal of course- like the whole Project.

Euro 2020 final could be moved from Wembley to Hungary ‘unless quarantine waived for 2,500 officials’

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/euro-2020-final-wembley-hungary-unless-quarantine-waived-for-officials-b941285.html?itm_source=Internal&itm_channel=article_banner&itm_campaign=breaking-news-ticker&itm_content=3

Didn't think about the Euros final at the time of this but looks like the same question is being asked again. Should uefa officials be exempt from quarantine this time or should the final be moved from this country? Either way you can't keep everyone happy.

• Admin
9 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

Euro 2020 final could be moved from Wembley to Hungary ‘unless quarantine waived for 2,500 officials’

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/euro-2020-final-wembley-hungary-unless-quarantine-waived-for-officials-b941285.html?itm_source=Internal&itm_channel=article_banner&itm_campaign=breaking-news-ticker&itm_content=3

Didn't think about the Euros final at the time of this but looks like the same question is being asked again. Should uefa officials be exempt from quarantine this time or should the final be moved from this country? Either way you can't keep everyone happy.

That's got to be nonsense

Wembley can get officials etc in for all other games

Archived