IGNORED

Nigel Pearson press conference | Bristol City vs Brentford

Unan

2 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Well whoever the journalist was who was called an ostrich, it makes pearson look like a bit if a dick. I suspect he wont make that sort of comment again, youd think there needs to be some cooperation with the press.

What else is Pearson supposed to do to cooperate with the press. He answers the questions put to him. His answers are thoughtful and clear. In fact given the fact that Gregor keeps asking questions he had answered already I think he shows admirable patience. And comments referring back to the Ostrich comment seem irrelevant and unnecessary.

He fell out with some parts of the local media here although mainly cos they were dicks rather than useless. Idk who the chap is, other than people calling him Gregor, but comes across as completely clueless, honestly think it'd be better if Pearson interviewed himself. I mean that's what he's effectively done anyway

4 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

I think NP gives more direct answers to Geoff Twentyman. I wonder if it's because GT is a former player?

Geoff is an excellent interviewer all round and not just because he is an ex pro, as evidenced when posing the questions to Steve Lansdown and Wally (and all of his motley crew).

Doesn't push too hard to alienate himself from the interviewee, but is very subtle and clever in the way he poses his questions and in the case of Wael, exposes what a charlatan his is.

9 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Nailed on re Weimann.

Let’s be honest we would be mad not to, a hard working model pro, experienced & we have badly missed his energy & drive.

Maybe in the here & now with our recent 'experiences' in mind we won't be getting the "all Weimann does is run around a lot" comments.....

He could teach a few of our crop of wasters a thing or two.

10 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

Ah great. The next record for City to bend over backwards and poop out. 

Expect a handful of goals for Toney on Saturday then.

Thank god it's the last game of the season.

13 hours ago, ncnsbcfc said:

Christ, Gregor does not come across well in this interview, he appears desperate; and almost reading from some aide memoire list.

I think you can already tell from NP's tone, and body language that he thinks Gregor is amateurish at best.

After 3 years as City journo, and 3 months of interviewing NP he needs to learn on the hurry up; how to get answers out of him. Pearson is a man who thinks, before he speaks; and he doesn't like schoolboy attempts to get information out of him.

My advice to Gregor, is to listen to the questions put to him on the main site, that NP answers fully and in depth. Adapt your way of questioning based on your knowledge of the person you are interviewing. Otherwise, you've never going to build a relationship with Pearson that will become honest and transparent.

At the moment, it's almost like a podcast, with caller's questions coming in from "JIM IN CHIPPING SODBURY".

Or choose another vocation. Harsh yes but we deserve, Nigel deserves, a more experienced journalist. Gregor is just not very good. Similar to what Steve Lansdown said about one Sean O'Driscoll. I agree with him that being blunt is always best when something is not working.

Listening to more of that interview I realise what Gregor is good at; flogging a dead horse. 

7 hours ago, zippycar said:

Geoff is an excellent interviewer all round and not just because he is an ex pro, as evidenced when posing the questions to Steve Lansdown and Wally (and all of his motley crew).

Doesn't push too hard to alienate himself from the interviewee, but is very subtle and clever in the way he poses his questions and in the case of Wael, exposes what a charlatan his is.

Agreed. These days Geoff Twentyman is a hugely experienced and respected BBC journalist who used to play a bit of football. He was already that a decade or more ago when I worked on projects with him. He's a 'top man' - as Geoff would say.

9 hours ago, maxjak said:

Whether u like it or not.....Gregor IS a sports journalist, not a wanna be?  I think he does an OK job, and asks some good direct questions.  How can you possibly know what NP thinks of him?   Cheap   jibes are easy to make when your a keyboard warrior?            . ?

You do not have to be a journalist to understand that a line of questioning is naive and cringeworthy. If you are unable to see that then I actually envy you because those of us who can have to put up with it.

Must we have this conversation regarding McGregor & how good/bad he is every time we have a press conference? It's so tiring.

I've only read the summary of it, not listened but I liked the comment Pearson made about moving towards a different recruitment strategy. 

We're trying to make a shift towards a different type of a recruitment policy. And we're trying to create something which will stand us in good stead for a long period of time.

A return to signing young & hungry players as opposed to the high amount of over 30's we've signed the last couple of years would be nice.

I am not entirely sure Nigel knows what the policy is yet though; i thought his pause and then re-phrase suggested he either did not wish to reveal something or intelligently disguised it by a sort of 'whoops not really sure what our policy is just yet' type remark.

Returning to young and hungry would be when Lee left then. In the obvious assumption Nigel brings players in that work as a team then obviously better than a bunch of fairly aged professionals, That said Dean only brought in 2 or 3, was it, over 30's?

12 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Must we have this conversation regarding McGregor & how good/bad he is every time we have a press conference? It's so tiring.

I've only read the summary of it, not listened but I liked the comment Pearson made about moving towards a different recruitment strategy. 

A return to signing young & hungry players as opposed to the high amount of over 30's we've signed the last couple of years would be nice.

If our interpretation is in fact the plan, great news.

6 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I agree with an overriding policy of signing young and hungry players BUT without experience and leadership alongside them such a policy is doomed to fail. The key is to sign the "right" older players which is where we have failed miserably. Everybody bangs on about the infamous "you don't win anything with kids" quote made by Alan Hansen but people quickly forget that there were experienced pro's alongside them in that Man Utd side. It wasn't a team of eleven "kids" that won the league that season.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I agree with an overriding policy of signing young and hungry players BUT without experience and leadership alongside them such a policy is doomed to fail. The key is to sign the "right" older players which is where we have failed miserably. Everybody bangs on about the infamous "you don't win anything with kids" quote made by Alan Hansen but people quickly forget that there were experienced pro's alongside them in that Man Utd side. It wasn't a team of eleven "kids" that won the league that season.

Totally, probably said it before, but it is about the blend & as Pearson said himself last week, sometimes you have to deviate from the model slightly. Wilbs is the best example.

I look at our midfield options, we have Williams, Nagy, Bakinson, Massengo & possibly Walsh for next season.

Hardly any experience there bar the first one, so bringing in a 30 year old there would make some sense, whereas up front we have Wells & Martin who are 31 & 33, so it would not.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The way his face changed when he was talking about Weimann & Martin (nearly 30 & 32) in terms of excellent pro's etc etc; I wouldn't rule out a few players around that age being bought into the fold this summer.

However the days of 35/36 year olds will hopefully be a thing of the past. Simpson is 35 in Jan, fingers crossed we're looking at better options there.

1 minute ago, ncnsbcfc said:

The way his face changed when he was talking about Weimann & Martin (nearly 30 & 32) in terms of excellent pro's etc etc; I wouldn't rule out a few players around that age being bought into the fold this summer.

However the days of 35/36 year olds will hopefully be a thing of the past. Simpson is 35 in Jan, fingers crossed we're looking at better options there.

Graham and I think Simpson might get another year.

Hard to bring in two new RBs of the required quality and lie to them that they’re both first choice, so we think DS might get a year as cover / rest / rotate and we get a fully fledged first choice RB.

Of course, we may be completely wrong!

Just now, Davefevs said:

Hard to bring in two new RBs of the required quality and lie to them that they’re both first choice, so we think DS might get a year as cover / rest / rotate and we get a fully fledged first choice RB.

He obviously likes and trusts DS. Who appears very enthusiastic about staying for another year.

With the lack of any young players/under 23s coming through in that position; as opposed to the 6+ at left back; I can see the reasoning. 

12 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

He obviously likes and trusts DS. Who appears very enthusiastic about staying for another year.

With the lack of any young players/under 23s coming through in that position; as opposed to the 6+ at left back; I can see the reasoning. 

Was just thinking about RBs in academy.  @Lrrranyone in the production line, a bit further down?  Thuo?

Oh yeah I agree with you completely. At the end of the 2018/19 season I thought what we required was a bit more experience to see out games etc. But then these past couple of years we seem to have signed more than just a couple.

I can’t remember the exact numbers without looking it up but I believe there have been 7 or 8 over 30’s signed in the past couple of years & hardly any younger signings. Getting the balance right is crucial.

53 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That first part is worrying IMO , I haven't seen much to make me think he would be a solid RB next year.
That said if we brought in a first choice and gave him another year it would make sense. 

The more you look at what we have, what we need and what may happen, it's looking a bigger job every day.
As it stands, can't say I'm optimistic.

22 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

That first part is worrying IMO , I haven't seen much to make me think he would be a solid RB next year.
That said if we brought in a first choice and gave him another year it would make sense. 

The more you look at what we have, what we need and what may happen, it's looking a bigger job every day.

I am optimistic personally. What we have to remember is that Pearson cannot and does not have to sort EVERYTHING out in year 1. If the aim next season is to improve, compete a lot better a lot more often and stay in the division then I think Pearson has more than enough in his locker to comfortably achieve that. If you are expecting a push for top 6 then yes, we are well and truly ****** and it's not happening bar a miracle occurring.

If Pearson decides to bring a better right back in than Jack Hunt and have Danny Simpson as cover next season that's a bit of fire-fighting done and dusted. He can worry about true competition for places in that position the season after. I think there will be a few positions where we do that next season and the "cover" will include the younger lads who now have some experience of Championship football. Playing one of them due to an injury is not the same as chucking in 3 or 4 of them at the same time. That's why he talks of 4-6 windows because he knows patience is required and trying to improve too much too soon will end up diluting the real improvement.

I just hope that our fans can change the habit of a lifetime and show a bit of patience.

16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Simpson I thought was very impressive in that one game he came off injured. Could see how he knows how to defend and looked quite sharp still for someone of his age.

I would rather we brought in a new one to compete with Vyner. People have suggested O'Nien on a free, who is also very versatile. 

I guess if Simpson plays really well tomorrow up against one of the best sides in the league then that might change people's opinions. Really it's just the age for me and not been playing all season.

From his interview it sounds like he would very much be one of Pearson's lieutenants in the changing room, which must play in his favour. He says he needs a full pre-season and he'll be ready to go. Cue a two year deal then a long term injury in pre-season! 

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

34 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I am optimistic personally. What we have to remember is that Pearson cannot and does not have to sort EVERYTHING out in year 1. If the aim next season is to improve, compete a lot better a lot more often and stay in the division then I think Pearson has more than enough in his locker to comfortably achieve that. If you are expecting a push for top 6 then yes, we are well and truly ****** and it's not happening bar a miracle occurring.

If Pearson decides to bring a better right back in than Jack Hunt and have Danny Simpson as cover next season that's a bit of fire-fighting done and dusted. He can worry about true competition for places in that position the season after. I think there will be a few positions where we do that next season and the "cover" will include the younger lads who now have some experience of Championship football. Playing one of them due to an injury is not the same as chucking in 3 or 4 of them at the same time. That's why he talks of 4-6 windows because he knows patience is required and trying to improve too much too soon will end up diluting the real improvement.

I just hope that our fans can change the habit of a lifetime and show a bit of patience.

That’s exactly how I see it.  Rome not built in a day, nor is there budget to do so.

I don’t see a 34/35 year old DS demanding huge wages either.

I thought he still looked athletic enough in that game v Cov, even if he had the touch of a skip-driver.  That’s rustiness, nothing else. 

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

But he said this in response to questions about the way Brentford operate.

So I wasn't clear whether Pearson's reply - that City are making "a shift towards a different type of a recruitment policy" - was meant as a comparison to the way Brentford do things or whether he meant his recruitment policy going forward will be different from the one run by Ashton. 

Because what he said next - "we're trying to create something which will stand us in good stead for a long period of time" - could just as easily be a description of Lansdown's pillars policy as it could a new approach that Pearson is going to implement after installing his preferred DoF/head of recruitment.

It was certainly the bit of that interview which grabbed my attention but, as I say, I was left wondering exactly what Pearson meant by it - continuing with the pillars or, look out folks, I've got Steve Walsh on the way.   

3 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

But he said this in response to questions about the way Brentford operate.

So I wasn't clear whether Pearson's reply - that City are making "a shift towards a different type of a recruitment policy" - was meant as a comparison to the way Brentford do things or whether he meant his recruitment policy going forward will be different from the one run by Ashton. 

Because what he said next - "we're trying to create something which will stand us in good stead for a long period of time" - could just as easily be a description of Lansdown's pillars policy as it could a new approach that Pearson is going to implement after installing his preferred DoF/head of recruitment.

It was certainly the bit of that interview which grabbed my attention but, as I say, I was left wondering exactly what Pearson meant by it - continuing with the pillars or, look out folks, I've got Steve Walsh on the way.   

He couldn't be talking about Brentford because operating a different recruitment policy to them isn't "a shift" in anything we've been doing. I would imagine it's a shift from a "Teflon only going through one or two agents" recruitment policy that we seemingly operate right now. The way I see it is a "pillars" recruitment policy in isolation is no better than a "here and now" policy in isolation. You have to combine the two.

I think the current financial climate in football is bound to result in agents having to work harder and players having to accept a bit less coin than they were hoping for. How many Championship clubs with no income coming through the door can operate 30 man squads averaging £6K per week? It will be an interesting summer throughout the game. It will be even worse lower down the leagues, just take a look at the Tesco Bags.......fans expecting a glut of incoming because Joey has promised them they shall inherit the earth all aboard HMS Piss The League and yet only 1K of them have renewed so far. Even #gaslogic doesn't make that stack up in conjunction with FFP.

Archived