IGNORED

Nigel Pearson press conference | Bristol City vs Brentford

Unan

13 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

"Chinese burn"?? Showing his age there.

Not sure McGregory had to ask what the players' reaction was - it would've been "wtf is a chinese burn".

It's not the 1970s Nige. Old Skool!

I ended up with a swollen abscess on my lower shin when on a trip to Thailand back in 2007, following a fight with a jellyfish in the South China sea. I'd played football on the beach afterwards with a few Thai locals and Dutch tourists, and the sting got infected after I got sand in it by kicking the ball with bare feet.

The doctor in the US Miltary Hospital in Bangkok gave me a very strong 'Chinese Burn', which tore the abscess open, enabling the pus to drain out. 

It was absolute agony - at first for a split second, followed by relief!

Just thought I'd share that Chinese Burn story............... ?

47 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I just hope that our fans can change the habit of a lifetime and show a bit of patience.

Well I for one won't be ,I expect an immediate improvement in terms of results and pattern of play and general entertainment.

I don't accept that it is always jam tomorrow and expect a top half finish at the very least.

Short term targets need to be set it is just too much of a get out for anyone to say it is a medium/ long term project.

17 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

He couldn't be talking about Brentford because operating a different recruitment policy to them isn't "a shift" in anything we've been doing. I would imagine it's a shift from a "Teflon only going through one or two agents" recruitment policy that we seemingly operate right now. The way I see it is a "pillars" recruitment policy in isolation is no better than a "here and now" policy in isolation. You have to combine the two.

I think the current financial climate in football is bound to result in agents having to work harder and players having to accept a bit less coin than they were hoping for. How many Championship clubs with no income coming through the door can operate 30 man squads averaging £6K per week? It will be an interesting summer throughout the game. It will be even worse lower down the leagues, just take a look at the Tesco Bags.......fans expecting a glut of incoming because Joey has promised them they shall inherit the earth all aboard HMS Piss The League and yet only 1K of them have renewed so far. Even #gaslogic doesn't make that stack up in conjunction with FFP.

For info the average Champ wage is £13k per week.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

I am optimistic personally. What we have to remember is that Pearson cannot and does not have to sort EVERYTHING out in year 1. If the aim next season is to improve, compete a lot better a lot more often and stay in the division then I think Pearson has more than enough in his locker to comfortably achieve that. If you are expecting a push for top 6 then yes, we are well and truly ****** and it's not happening bar a miracle occurring.

All I'd like to see is improvement, but I'd like to see major improvement on the pitch and a lot of change off of it. 
By that my "good season" would be , solid mid table never worrying about relegation and playing a style of football I can enjoy. For 18 months it's been hardly watchable.

If Pearson decides to bring a better right back in than Jack Hunt and have Danny Simpson as cover next season that's a bit of fire-fighting done and dusted. He can worry about true competition for places in that position the season after.

Agree. We can't buy a whole new team (sadly) and so Nicewill have to prioritise. 

I think there will be a few positions where we do that next season and the "cover" will include the younger lads who now have some experience of Championship football. Playing one of them due to an injury is not the same as chucking in 3 or 4 of them at the same time. That's why he talks of 4-6 windows because he knows patience is required and trying to improve too much too soon will end up diluting the real improvement.

I just hope that our fans can change the habit of a lifetime and show a bit of patience.

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

That’s exactly how I see it.  Rome not built in a day, nor is there budget to do so.

I don’t see a 34/35 year old DS demanding huge wages either.

I thought he still looked athletic enough in that game v Cov, even if he had the touch of a skip-driver.  That’s rustiness, nothing else. 

I hope you're right. From what I've seen with him and Mariappa they have been not even near Ashley Williams standard. I tried to give them the benefit , and TBF it did look like DS started to show signs, but it's hard being generous when you are watching some of the most inept team performances in living memory. And I honestly don't think that's over stating it.

My worry is we don't get in the one or two quality players to turn, what TBF is a group of promising players, into a functioning team. 
I would hope to see backroom staff leaving, for NP to get a core group together he knows and trusts before we start to recruit. 

9 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Well I for one won't be ,I expect an immediate improvement in terms of results and pattern of play and general entertainment.

I don't accept that it is always jam tomorrow and expect a top half finish at the very least.

Short term targets need to be set it is just too much of a get out for anyone to say it is a medium/ long term project.

Do you think that short term targets haven't been set?

Top half finish AT THE VERY LEAST!! That's a strong statement. In other words you expect us to threaten Top 6 at some point then even if we don't make it. There's no other interpretation of that comment. Given where the club currently stands and the obvious work to correct the calamitous situation we are in I would be prepared for disappointment if that is your genuine thinking. I'm not saying we cannot possibly finish top half next season but would require a lot of luck and stars to be perfectly aligned therefore to "expect it as a minimum" is a bit fanciful and unrealistic in my view.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For info the average Champ wage is £13k per week.

I don't see many clubs having a wage bill of £400K per week next season!! Obviously the figures are distorted by the clubs on parachute payments but it reinforces the point even more that there will be necessary belt tightening by many clubs. One that springs to mind straight away is Reading.

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

My worry is we don't get in the one or two quality players to turn, what TBF is a group of promising players, into a functioning team. 
I would hope to see backroom staff leaving, for NP to get a core group together he knows and trusts before we start to recruit. 

Yep, that is a concern, but I think NP and the new recruitment approach (whether that’s team and / or process) has more chance….partly because NP is behind it.

Blind faith???

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

You do not have to be a journalist to understand that a line of questioning is naive and cringeworthy. If you are unable to see that then I actually envy you because those of us who can have to put up with it.

You have no cause to envy me in anyway, I am well aware of my shortcomings.  It is so easy to criticise other people from behind a keyboard, and that is the point i was making, to the OP, and i found it arrogant and boorish for him to suggest that NP feels contemptuous towards Mcgregor  ? .   You have been put  there to a job by your employers, you are told to ask relevant questions, because your job as a journalist is to get a reaction and a soundbite    Maybe what he asked in a pressure situation, was not perfect, and maybe given another chance he may have phrased it differently, but i did not hear him ask anything that i would deem inappropriate,   

So what would you have asked him, when put on the spot  to get a good quote from your subject?

Three pages over one mediocre interview that tells us the usual eff all.

For my tuppence McGregor just sounds scared 5hi7less of Nigel Pearson. Interviews in the past have been decent but the interview “style” this time was not great.

NP told us not much, recruitment policy is changing slightly apparently, well no 5hi7 Sherlock, it has to and he expects a reaction to the Millwall goalkeepers comments...I just want to know, of who does he expect a reaction from. If I’m out of contract, its pretty apparent I’m not getting one unless my name is Andi Weimann, so  I guess we can expect a few of kids starting.again and rightly so!

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Do you think that short term targets haven't been set?

Top half finish AT THE VERY LEAST!! That's a strong statement. In other words you expect us to threaten Top 6 at some point then even if we don't make it. There's no other interpretation of that comment. Given where the club currently stands and the obvious work to correct the calamitous situation we are in I would be prepared for disappointment if that is your genuine thinking. I'm not saying we cannot possibly finish top half next season but would require a lot of luck and stars to be perfectly aligned therefore to "expect it as a minimum" is a bit fanciful and unrealistic in my view.

I'm sure they have, but whilst the conversation between NP and SL is not on the record, to assume that it was along the lines of "don't worry Steve once I get the injured players back ,shift the deadwood and have a transfer window, we won't get relegated" is hardly music to SL's ears.

We need to look at Barnsley for what is possible and I stand by my assertion that a top half finish is a reasonable expectation.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, that is a concern, but I think NP and the new recruitment approach (whether that’s team and / or process) has more chance….partly because NP is behind it.

Blind faith???

The 'back room" failings have been so incredibly big and far from short term, that it is casting a shadow over getting what we all wanted. The fanbase has been screaming for an experienced Manager for ages. I think that is why the results have meant virtually nothing. The problem is our experienced manager has 2 big rebuilding jobs to do, one on and one off the pitch. Club needs a big shake up, with luck NP is the man.

As for Blind Faith, don't know much of their stuff and not a big Eric Clapton fan ?

6 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

I'm sure they have, but whilst the conversation between NP and SL is not on the record, to assume that it was along the lines of "don't worry Steve once I get the injured players back ,shift the deadwood and have a transfer window, we won't get relegated" is hardly music to SL's ears.

We need to look at Barnsley for what is possible and I stand by my assertion that a top half finish is a reasonable expectation.

Re: Barnsley I couldn't agree more, I just expect it to be the season after next when we can maybe look to emulate them. We are clearly building a new team, Pearson's comments make that obvious and so I see peaks and troughs in performance next season. Where I do agree with you is that I do expect to see an improvement in both competitiveness and performance whatever league position we occupy. I certainly don't want to be sitting through 90 minutes down the Gate every home game where I look at their keeper and think "I could have played in goal for you today"........

5 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Three pages over one mediocre interview that tells us the usual eff all.

For my tuppence McGregor just sounds scared 5hi7less of Nigel Pearson. Interviews in the past have been decent but the interview “style” this time was not great.

NP told us not much, recruitment policy is changing slightly apparently, well no 5hi7 Sherlock, it has to and he expects a reaction to the Millwall goalkeepers comments...I just want to know, of who does he expect a reaction from. If I’m out of contract, its pretty apparent I’m not getting one unless my name is Andi Weimann, so  I guess we can expect a few of kids starting.again and rightly so!

I only listen occasionally , quite like Nige's take but.....
Try coming up with questions before and after every game and not repeat. Turn the table and try and take the same questions every game. Worse when we're watching the players make the same mistakes and the same results. The "pressers" are a joke, and not a funny one, they are contractual so we're stuck with them. Not easy asking or taking questions and trying to make it interesting, unless something big happens. GMcG inevitably asks the questions he has to, or has been asked too. Pearson will answer what he can or wants too, without giving too much info, it's how it works. 

50 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Try coming up with questions before and after every game and not repeat. Turn the table and try and take the same questions every game. Worse when we're watching the players make the same mistakes and the same results. The "pressers" are a joke, and not a funny one, they are contractual so we're stuck with them. Not easy asking or taking questions and trying to make it interesting, unless something big happens. GMcG inevitably asks the questions he has to, or has been asked too. Pearson will answer what he can or wants too, without giving too much info, it's how it works. 

I agree - it’s not easy to come up with fresh question angles.

We all want to know:

- the team for the next game - we ain’t gonna get it

- who’s injured, who’s not - we will get some info, but not stuff that’s tactically sensitibe

at this time of the season, we want to know:

- who are we targeting (players and staff) - we ain’t gonna get it

- who’s leaving - we ain’t gonna get it until end of season or player told and club happy to release that (which they’ve already done with likes of Hinds, Opi Edwards)

- contract decisions - see above

So that leaves things like recruitment process, etc, which NP has given us an outline of, but not much detail.

44 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

It is how it works, obviously!

Its McGregors job to get as much as he can as that is what sells the advertising space and as I said in the past he’s done ok. But he just seems scared of Nigel Pearson and that is what I think is ultimately behind what most think was another poor interview.

Perhaps its time for a new journal at the Post covering us if this is what is to come and McG is finding them ‘not easy’ I agree that some stuff is repetitive, but as you say we are ‘stuck with them whether you are BCFC, Nigel Pearson GMcG or a supporter. The same applies to every club in the country mind you!

15 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Its McGregors job to get as much as he can as that is what sells the advertising space and as I said in the past he’s done ok. But he just seems scared of Nigel Pearson and that is what I think is ultimately behind what most think was another poor interview.

Perhaps its time for a new journal at the Post covering us if this is what is to come and McG is finding them ‘not easy’ I agree that some stuff is repetitive, but as you say we are ‘stuck with them whether you are BCFC, Nigel Pearson GMcG or a supporter. The same applies to every club in the country mind you!

Mr Pearson has an amazing ability to unnerve you and do it with a smile . I imagine Gregor wants to keep Nice onside as much as possible, he might be hedging his bets . Remember I doubt they have met face to face, so it's difficult building up a rapport . It's a thankless task made harder by doing it over the phone or on 'Teams' or whatever. 

It might be a job to get info, but all the time the other is trying to limit what you know, difficult.

16 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

We are just in an awkward situation at present where there is not much information for Pearson to give right now and that makes interviewing him tricky.

More info will be available soon as players get retained and bombed out giving far more scope for questioning. Similarly in pre-season Gregor can focus on transfer targets, how Pearson intends to set up his teams, what differences he expects to see from this season etc.

I think it’s as simple as it’s just a shitty time to be doing interviews.

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

just take a look at the Tesco Bags.......fans expecting a glut of incoming because Joey has promised them they shall inherit the earth all aboard HMS Piss The League and yet only 1K of them have renewed so far. Even #gaslogic doesn't make that stack up in conjunction with FFP.

best be making that between 830 -840. dont forget the 16.5% overcount due to the extra digits on hand

1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

I don't expect play offs and it doesn't make much difference to me whether we then finish 9th or 14th.

It may be there will only a few points separating these positions anyway so I wouldn't put too much store on top/bottom half finish.

I very much agree with your first line though - it is a short term imperative for NP to improve results and pattern of play, and that we see a far greater level of entertainment, and goals, at AG.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

We are just in an awkward situation at present where there is not much information for Pearson to give right now and that makes interviewing him tricky.

More info will be available soon as players get retained and bombed out giving far more scope for questioning. Similarly in pre-season Gregor can focus on transfer targets, how Pearson intends to set up his teams, what differences he expects to see from this season etc.

Especially if Gregor already knows stuff, but can’t reveal it, and is trying to entice NP into saying something he shouldn’t yet say.

When Jon was interviewed about Andy Rolls he started to say “he’s going….” but then stopped himself and said something else, Jon already new Rolls was going to Ipswich and I think  stopped himself from revealing it.

Just my theory.

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Mr Pearson has an amazing ability to unnerve you and do it with a smile . I imagine Gregor wants to keep Nice onside as much as possible, he might be hedging his bets . Remember I doubt they have met face to face, so it's difficult building up a rapport . It's a thankless task made harder by doing it over the phone or on 'Teams' or whatever. 

It might be a job to get info, but all the time the other is trying to limit what you know, difficult.

Yes you might have something there. I mat be mistaking what comes across to me as fear as the bloke being deliberately timid. I guess time will tell

49 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Especially if Gregor already knows stuff, but can’t reveal it, and is trying to entice NP into saying something he shouldn’t yet say.

When Jon was interviewed about Andy Rolls he started to say “he’s going….” but then stopped himself and said something else, Jon already new Rolls was going to Ipswich and I think  stopped himself from revealing it.

Just my theory.

Maybe! 

52 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Just my theory.

Sorry double reply

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

He asked about if he (Nigel Pearson) had input into signings. Pearson looked on the verge of hysterical laughter and was trying to suppress it. 

Yes you could be right that there is not much Pearson will give away and that makes it more difficult to think of things to ask but he’s still trying to sell advertising space for the local rag when all said and done not just for the consumption of OTIB

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I agree - it’s not easy to come up with fresh question angles.

We all want to know:

- the team for the next game - we ain’t gonna get it

- who’s injured, who’s not - we will get some info, but not stuff that’s tactically sensitibe

at this time of the season, we want to know:

- who are we targeting (players and staff) - we ain’t gonna get it

- who’s leaving - we ain’t gonna get it until end of season or player told and club happy to release that (which they’ve already done with likes of Hinds, Opi Edwards)

- contract decisions - see above

So that leaves things like recruitment process, etc, which NP has given us an outline of, but not much detail.

I'd be asking about the style of football NP will be hoping to play and whether recruitment will be intentional to that style of play or whether he's looking at ' honest' hard working professionals etc 

I'd be asking as much as possible as to his way of wanting to play.

8 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

But he said this in response to questions about the way Brentford operate.

So I wasn't clear whether Pearson's reply - that City are making "a shift towards a different type of a recruitment policy" - was meant as a comparison to the way Brentford do things or whether he meant his recruitment policy going forward will be different from the one run by Ashton. 

Because what he said next - "we're trying to create something which will stand us in good stead for a long period of time" - could just as easily be a description of Lansdown's pillars policy as it could a new approach that Pearson is going to implement after installing his preferred DoF/head of recruitment.

It was certainly the bit of that interview which grabbed my attention but, as I say, I was left wondering exactly what Pearson meant by it - continuing with the pillars or, look out folks, I've got Steve Walsh on the way.   

I took it as we’re changing our recruitment policy. His exact word was  “shift” . Most of us have been saying things need to change in that department . Having one man in charge of it all was ridiculous imo. It was a good interview  & that’s was the biggest thing I took from it. Thought  Danny simpson came across well as well. 

Archived