IGNORED

Nigel Pearson press conference | Bristol City vs Brentford

Unan

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'd be asking about the style of football NP will be hoping to play and whether recruitment will be intentional to that style of play or whether he's looking at ' honest' hard working professionals etc 

I'd be asking as much as possible as to his way of wanting to play.

He was asked this by Geoff twentyman last Monday . His answer was “winning” football to start with as we have to get some momentum going. Afterwards he said he likes , fast aggressive football, with fast , mobile players . Paraphrasing slightly 

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

He was asked this by Geoff twentyman last Monday . His answer was “winning” football to start with as we have to get some momentum going. Afterwards he said he likes , fast aggressive football, with fast , mobile players . Paraphrasing slightly 

Cheers fella...I did know this, but I'd be pressing on more detail...formation type for next season, high press, counter attack, wide, narrow??? etc etc...winning football could mean anything...Warnock or Klopp? If you get my drift. 

Whenever I've watched a NP side they've been functional at doing the basics right...but I'd be hard pressed to see a certain stand out style.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

That’s exactly how I see it.  Rome not built in a day, nor is there budget to do so.

I don’t see a 34/35 year old DS demanding huge wages either.

I thought he still looked athletic enough in that game v Cov, even if he had the touch of a skip-driver.  That’s rustiness, nothing else. 

Judging by the motor he drives I don't think he is short of a few quid...

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

Cheers fella...I did know this, but I'd be pressing on more detail...formation type for next season, high press, counter attack, wide, narrow??? etc etc...winning football could mean anything...Warnock or Klopp? If you get my drift. 

Whenever I've watched a NP side they've been functional at doing the basics right...but I'd be hard pressed to see a certain stand out style.

I’d definitely take functional, compact , hard to beat next season . Gradually building, evolving  the squad. It’ll be really interesting to see how we set up. Leicester fans have said he initially liked 442 but changed to 433 in the relegation battle in the prem. Don’t know how he set up in the championship with them though. 

18 minutes ago, richyy66 said:

Judging by the motor he drives I don't think he is short of a few quid...

He won't be owning it, he'll be paying someone a hell of a lot of money to be able to drive it.

Like a lot of people..

To be honest I found Nige unnecessarily and deliberately awkward. There wasn’t any reason to be arsy with Gregor when he was asking about Brentford. 
yes it’s boring, yes it’s the tedious but I don’t what else can be asked/discussed?

32 minutes ago, spudski said:

To be honest I don’t think you’d get anything out of Nige at this stage, not until released players have left and possibly new staff have come in

15 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Don’t know how he set up in the championship with them though. 

4-4-2. Certainly was when they shat on us in 2013. Men against boys that day. McInnes then sacked. 

Pearson won Manager of the Month that January, Leicester in the top 2.

Then their form nosedived and they only just snuck in the playoffs on the last day of the season, on goal difference. Then lost in the semis.

So someone better tell him we've already been there and done all that.

41 minutes ago, spudski said:

As you’ll know, for the first half of the season (whilst I wasn’t working) I spent hours watching each team for my match previews.  There are some obvious playing styles (Norwich one style / Rotherham the opposite), but there is a lot of teams that aren’t massively distinct.  Someone like Preston, play direct, up to the front man and build from there, but if you don’t press them, they will play from the back.  So a lot can be dictated my opponent style too.

1 minute ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Rate my interviewer.. 

Good Grief. 

Let's hope we're a bit more competitive vs Brentford. 

Next season is not going to be 'fun' based on current showings ?

You can't base next season on current showings.

1 minute ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Rate my interviewer.. 

Good Grief. 

Always know its going to be a jolly read when I see you've posted!

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As you’ll know, for the first half of the season (whilst I wasn’t working) I spent hours watching each team for my match previews.  There are some obvious playing styles (Norwich one style / Rotherham the opposite), but there is a lot of teams that aren’t massively distinct.  Someone like Preston, play direct, up to the front man and build from there, but if you don’t press them, they will play from the back.  So a lot can be dictated my opponent style too.

I think that's where we went wrong in the past...dictating our play according to opponent. I'd rather let our opponent worry about our strengths...as you say, Norwich and Brentford, play pretty much the same way every game regardless of opponent.

20 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

4-4-2. Certainly was when they shat on us in 2013. Men against boys that day. McInnes then sacked. 

Then their form nosedived and they only just snuck in the playoffs on the last day of the season, on goal difference. Then lost in the semis.

Was that when they had that mad game with Watford?

43 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

To be honest I found Nige unnecessarily and deliberately awkward. There wasn’t any reason to be arsy with Gregor when he was asking about Brentford. 
yes it’s boring, yes it’s the tedious but I don’t what else can be asked/discussed?

Really can’t see what you’re seeing . He doesn’t come across arsy as you call it at all . Very calm calculated answers as normal 

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Fergie always said when going to anfield  that they’ll turn them first twenty . Liverpool will then drop off allowing them to play. Do you think NP does something similar but on a regular basis ? 

46 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Remember that game . Andy king ran midfield . Mind you , our midfield had gone awol 

33 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think that's where we went wrong in the past...dictating our play according to opponent. I'd rather let our opponent worry about our strengths...as you say, Norwich and Brentford, play pretty much the same way every game regardless of opponent.

It’s really interesting Spud.  Most teams we’ve faced of late have played back threes / wingbacks.

0A449E2C-B294-49D0-B225-83AD071FED8E.thumb.jpeg.31a244e19c76cb759a8f613e3cbabf83.jpeg

Generalising, if you take Luton and Forest out (play with back 4s), the only point we’ve picked up was against Wednesday, where we played with 10 men for 70 minutes and came from behind!!!

What I’ve been disappointed with is how our forward players have occupied our opponents five.  The best press we had was 15 minutes v Stoke when Bell and Wells played close together to make it a 4 v their 5.  Bell then did his hammer!  That’s not to say it’s all the from three’s fault, as it’s the way our full-backs and central midfielders work with them.

If our wide forwards engage their WBs, then our striker is left 3 on 1, giving them an easy way for one of them to progress forward with the ball.  That engages our no10 who then is no longer marking one of their DMs.  And they play out through the middle of the pitch.

If our wide forwards engage their side CBs, then our full-backs do not push high enough to press their WBs, and they play out through the wide areas.

Sad as it may sound, I often sit there with little pics of formations, one type v another, looking at the pros and cons of how you would play out v press options.  Most of the issues I see have manifested in recent weeks.  It’s not really about the formations because the players should know the pros and cons….they aren’t executing….mainly through lethargy imho.

In summary, we aren’t defending as a team.  A lot of that can be resolved by harder work and better communication.  You can see why NP wants a faster, more athletic and aggressive group of players going forward.

8 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Fergie always said when going to anfield  that they’ll turn them first twenty . Liverpool will then drop off allowing them to play. Do you think NP does something similar but on a regular basis ? 

My views are that I’d turn them to then squeeze them.  If you go back to the Barnsley game, their three played so, so high, but with Collins sweeping, we didn’t adjust our through balls, nor the timing of our runs.  We needed to chip balls in behind so they didn’t run through….continually make their back three go back towards their own goal.

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s really interesting Spud.  Most teams we’ve faced of late have played back threes / wingbacks.

0A449E2C-B294-49D0-B225-83AD071FED8E.thumb.jpeg.31a244e19c76cb759a8f613e3cbabf83.jpeg

Generalising, if you take Luton and Forest out (play with back 4s), the only point we’ve picked up was against Wednesday, where we played with 10 men for 70 minutes and came from behind!!!

What I’ve been disappointed with is how our forward players have occupied our opponents five.  The best press we had was 15 minutes v Stoke when Bell and Wells played close together to make it a 4 v their 5.  Bell then did his hammer!  That’s not to say it’s all the from three’s fault, as it’s the way our full-backs and central midfielders work with them.

If our wide forwards engage their WBs, then our striker is left 3 on 1, giving them an easy way for one of them to progress forward with the ball.  That engages our no10 who then is no longer marking one of their DMs.  And they play out through the middle of the pitch.

If our wide forwards engage their side CBs, then our full-backs do not push high enough to press their WBs, and they play out through the wide areas.

Sad as it may sound, I often sit there with little pics of formations, one type v another, looking at the pros and cons of how you would play out v press options.  Most of the issues I see have manifested in recent weeks.  It’s not really about the formations because the players should know the pros and cons….they aren’t executing….mainly through lethargy imho.

In summary, we aren’t defending as a team.  A lot of that can be resolved by harder work and better communication.  You can see why NP wants a faster, more athletic and aggressive group of players going forward.

My views are that I’d turn them to then squeeze them.  If you go back to the Barnsley game, their three played so, so high, but with Collins sweeping, we didn’t adjust our through balls, nor the timing of our runs.  We needed to chip balls in behind so they didn’t run through….continually make their back three go back towards their own goal.

It's interesting to hear your views based on a more statistical approach. It backs up what I've seen with my own eyes. 

Our wing back/full back play has been pretty woeful imo... especially when connecting with our forwards.

How many times do we lose possession when a fullback try's to play a pass or cross to our forwards and we come under instant counter attack? From what I witness, it seems a lot.

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sorry, I meant can you see NP setting up like that next season. 

1 hour ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Rate my interviewer.. 

Good Grief. 

I take it you are referring to his team’s performances (rather than his interviews!) next season?

Out of interest, do you expect City to get to the start of next season in the same “pathetic” shape they’ve ended this season in?

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Really can’t see what you’re seeing . He doesn’t come across arsy as you call it at all . Very calm calculated answers as normal 

Oh, he doesn’t to me. He sounds sarcastic where it’s really not necessary 

7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Sorry, I meant can you see NP setting up like that next season. 

I think we will move towards playing with much more intensity….it couldn’t get less, bar one or two exceptions.

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's interesting to hear your views based on a more statistical approach. It backs up what I've seen with my own eyes. 

Our wing back/full back play has been pretty woeful imo... especially when connecting with our forwards.

How many times do we lose possession when a fullback try's to play a pass or cross to our forwards and we come under instant counter attack? From what I witness, it seems a lot.

Not really a statistical view, basically observational from watching how easy our opponents have “it” and how easy they find it to make it hard for us to play.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think we will move towards playing with much more intensity….it couldn’t get less, bar one or two exceptions.

I hope we do. Most of this season feels like the team have been sleepwalking during games. 

29 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Certainly hope not, but  not seeing green shoots yet

A change tomorrow would be welcome and give hope. 

NP is still preparing the soil, planting starts on Sunday.  Water, nurture, water, nurture throughout the summer. ?

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

If you want him to set you on the way to becoming another Leicester, you might need to get used to being bottle jobs, we've got it almost down to a tee

Archived