IGNORED

Ian Wright Home Truths

italian dave

Anyone else watch this on BBC last night? I thought it was very powerful: harrowing at times but also very brave by Wright. Worth a watch if you missed it - about the impact of domestic violence on children.

From a footballing point of view it really threw a new light on Wrighty's anger as a player, that sometimes boiled over into things he did on the pitch - and often defined him as a player at the time. It made me think about what's going on in players lives that we often don't know about.

It also showed again that incredibly moving clip of him meeting up with his old school teacher, Mr Pigden: it's been seen a lot I know, but the programme really brought home just why Mr Pigden meant so much to him and what a real life changer he was.

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

Anyone else watch this on BBC last night? I thought it was very powerful: harrowing at times but also very brave by Wright. Worth a watch if you missed it - about the impact of domestic violence on children.

From a footballing point of view it really threw a new light on Wrighty's anger as a player, that sometimes boiled over into things he did on the pitch - and often defined him as a player at the time. It made me think about what's going on in players lives that we often don't know about.

It also showed again that incredibly moving clip of him meeting up with his old school teacher, Mr Pigden: it's been seen a lot I know, but the programme really brought home just why Mr Pigden meant so much to him and what a real life changer he was.

Will check this out

People would do well to remember that footballers are just like any other person. No amount of money or "privilege" can over-rule the way the brain works and we never truly know what is going on in someone else's life or head or what they've been through.

I think the fact that some can perform at the very top level and on a massive stage, whilst having other things going on in their life is actually much, much tougher than some imagine. I'm sure many of us have had times where things have got on top of us, maybe took a sick day or just not wanted to get out of bed etc. Imagine your work day involves performing to the best of your ability in front of 30/40/50k people all ready to abuse you if you have a shit game? I know it's the life they chose, but not every day in life is sunshine and rainbows

Didn't realise what a good player he was until we went up to see Andy Cole's first game back at the Arse for Newcastle . He was outstanding. I always loved watching him play for England, you could see how much it meant. I will look out for it on iPlayer.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Didn't realise what a good player he was until we went up to see Andy Cole's first game back at the Arse for Newcastle . He was outstanding. I always loved watching him play for England, you could see how much it meant. I will look out for it on iPlayer.

I went to that game too, 'Master v apprentice' it was billed as and Wright won that battle easily as I remember it.

I laughed at half time as lots of City fans must have had the same idea. The scores were being read out and the home fans were not interested past the top division yet when the tannoy belted out 'Peterborough 0 Bristol city 2' lots of little pockets of fans started celebrating.

I even met some City fans in the angel pub before the game, along with a very pissed Paul Merson and the ginger midfielder whose name escapes me. 

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

I went to that game too, 'Master v apprentice' it was billed as and Wright won that battle easily as I remember it.

I laughed at half time as lots of City fans must have had the same idea. The scores were being read out and the home fans were not interested past the top division yet when the tannoy belted out 'Peterborough 0 Bristol city 2' lots of little pockets of fans started celebrating.

I even met some City fans in the angel pub before the game, along with a very pissed Paul Merson and the ginger midfielder whose name escapes me. 

Yes I remember there seemed to be a lot of City there.

Ginger Midfielder, Perry Groves?

40 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

That's the fella. I'm sure he's a nice bloke but he was a pissed up nause that day. 

I read his biography, I think he was going for cheeky Chappy/rougue , I'm with you, I think he's a bit of a dick.

Excellent program that paints a different picture to Wrighty that most will have assumed during his playing days. 1st time I’d seen him meeting his old teacher, but that was powerful stuff knowing how he was abused by his stepdad.

Powerful and harrowing stuff from Ian Wright and considering what he experienced as child he’s matured into a very decent man - a lot of men with similar histories go the opposite way and become violent abusers themselves.

It’s sadly an all too familiar story but Wrighty is doing exactly the right thing by facing his childhood demons and sharing all about it - talking the best medicine.

Ok Wrightie was a very good player is good at his media roles etc but before we get too far ahead with buying his book, please could everyone buy the The Gerry Gow  Story book first; this is, afterall OTiB and there are few greater legends in anyone's lifetime than G.G - he's Here, He's There!

Great read, good value, gets your eyes watering

10 hours ago, italian dave said:

I’ve read his autobiography . He certainly had it tough. Always ones across as a top bloke 

14 hours ago, italian dave said:

One of my footballing heroes. As a poster said above, you must check out his Desert Island Discs with Lauren Laverne. Get the tissues on standby though. 

He's an absolute class act. The more I hear about his childhood and from people who knew him and absolutely idolize him the more impressed I am. Both him and David Rocastle are legends where I live and this is across the spectrum of people you'd think actually care about football.

I run through his old school and estate several times a week. Rocky Rocastle has a street named after him but not Wrighty yet. It's sad that we don't acknowledge people until they die.

9 hours ago, alexukhc said:

This is my favourite 

This chap has passed on now but it is one of the greatest clips I have ever seen.

Also a brilliant example of how someone can make a transformative difference to someone who has nothing or no one that cares for them.

Apart from being a brilliant footballer, Ian Wright is just a top bloke, passionate, honest & as @Olé has said, a massive inspiration/role model to many in London.

On 07/05/2021 at 20:30, Arsene's Wanger said:

Did anyone hear him on Desert Island Discs a while back? Comes across as a genuinely lovely bloke, he broke down several times during that interview.

Loved watching him play too, was almost sad when Henry took his record.

Ian WRIGHT, WRIGHT, WRIGHT! 

22 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

One of my footballing heroes. As a poster said above, you must check out his Desert Island Discs with Lauren Laverne. Get the tissues on standby though. 

He mentioned that Desert Island Discs on the programme this week. He said that was the first time he’d really spoken about what had happened to him, and that was when he decided he needed to do something about it. Both for himself, and for other children suffering in the same way. So that was where this weeks programme really came  from.

Archived