IGNORED

Happy Birthday John Galley!

ray savino

He arrived at City on crutches and scored a hat tick on his debut. As well as a goal scorer he played centre half for Hereford at the end of his league career 

11 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

He arrived at City on crutches and scored a hat tick on his debut. As well as a goal scorer he played centre half for Hereford at the end of his league career 

If he’d come here this season, if he didn't have crutches when he arrived he’d have them after a week or so!

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

I may be wrong, but I hope I'm right, did he not score a hat trick on three of his debuts for clubs ?

A proper “old fashioned” centre forward, always willing to get on the end of anything into the box, which was good as we played with wingers back who could cross a ball back in the day.

Would go in where it hurt, worked hard and never shirked a challenge and this was  in the days when big hard defenders would definitely dish it out.

If a lot of our current players showed an ounce of what JG did week in week out, we would not be in the position we are!

One of my favourite City players of all time. The first to check on me when I was 11 and got smacked in the face by a stray shot when standing up the railings at the East End, and the scorer of one my favourite ever City goals when he rifled a volley past Downsbrough in the Swindon goal at the Park End. 

Remember we had a tribute night for him at seymours club st phillips one of our lads shem booked him and his  wife a night at the parkside hotel he waked in with  his wife to his song of id walk a million miles he was  overwhelmed  said he didnt realise he was thought so much of in Bristol was a great night most from the  supporrters club attended with stoney garnett as the Entertainment back up .

6 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

Boyhood hero of mine (obviously!)

Brilliant player.

Mine as well. 

My first city match Oct 71 home against Orient. 0-3 down at halftime, sure he came on second half? Won 5-3. In the east end and loved it as a 7 year old.

Thats how I remember it anyway! 

As a 10 year old Galley lived in a club house near me in whitchurch

Came across him one sunday morning pushing his baby in a pram the day after I'd watched my hero in action at the gate

Got his autograph and was made up

Archived