IGNORED

End of season reflections

Jerseybean

As the final whistle blows on our final game in what has been a hideous season for football generally and a woeful campaign for us, it would be be interesting to hear others end of season reflections.

Here are mine:

Thank you Wycombe Wanderers, Sheffield Wednesday and Rotherham for saving us from relegation. As the saying goes ‘the table never lies’ and remarkably they (plus Derby and Huddersfield) all managed to accumulate fewer points than us.

Our late goals throughout the season also helped us, with a total of 5 points salvaged in the final 15 minutes of games. Points dropped / gained due to late goals (in the last fifteen minutes of games) this season:

Away to Barnsley - 2 points

Home to Swansea +1 point

Away to Bournemouth -1

Away to Huddersfield +2

Home to Derby +2

Away to Reading -1

Home to Birmingham -1

Home to Blackburn + 2

Home to Wycombe +2

Away to Swansea +2

Home to Bournemouth -1

Away to Sheffield Wednesday +1

Away to Wycombe - 1

Overall + 5 points

The most revealing and critical statistic is how many points adrift from the team finishing second we have been:

2020/21 = 40 points

2019/20 = 20 points

2018/19 = 19 points

2017/18 = 23 points

2016/17 = 39 points

2015/16 = 37 points

Which makes abundantly clear the challenge in front of us. As NP said after the Luton humiliation /capitulation ‘it is crystal clear that we are miles away from where we aspire to be’.

Looking forward I am delighted that we are still in the Championship and that we have appointed Nigel Pearson on a three year contract who IMO has the capability, networks and experience to ‘facilitate’ a rebuild and move us forward. While he aspired to be a teacher and a navigator in the RAF he has ended up as our manager where no doubt some of his teaching and navigation attributes will prove to be very useful. Sure, it will take time but please let’s all look forward to much better times and put this woeful season behind us.

Let the ‘shared accountability’ begin, let the ‘shared vision’ unfold and let ‘the journey’ end in success.

I think the key thing for me is the club need to hit the ground running with building a feel good factor for next season.

1. Ashton's replacement needs to be put in place as soon as possible so there's some overall direction and structure to the club.

2. There's a need to get any new staff members Pearson wants announced and on board. 

3. We need to quickly announce who is and who is not being retained next season.

4. The club need to move quickly in the transfer market.

If we get to late June and there's some new staff members and four or five new faces in pre-season, I think things will feel very different. But if the current malaise drifts on into August, I think we are in real trouble. 

Typical City.

Build your hopes up then dash them cruelly.

However, once again, we will look forward to next season, the Largish Nige Revolution, the nasty, streetwise winners , supplemented by Brazilian like youngsters will tear up the division and we will laugh and cry as they do it.

Thanks to you all for this season on OTIB, as always, a pleasure to share it all with you.

COYR.

This is the thread to get it out yer system lads and lasses.

Absolute shitshow compounded by senior players who didn’t give a single **** (those that were fit or at least had the bollocks to report as fit that is).

Onto pre-season and put this lot to bed?

Bloody garbage season made even worse by the fact we couldn't be there. Dean should never have been given the job, far too much for the bloke.

As far as I'm concerned, the only reason we have survived is Daniel Bentley.

High, Ashton going.

Low, the rest of the season.

Next time around, I'm hoping we have learned how to defend as we have been abject defensively. Too many players happy to take  a wage and do naff all.

Big changes in the summer and I have trust in Nigel to weed out the wasters and give us a team that actually deserve to wear our shirt. A couple of nasty buggers would help too, as the Major said.

Thank god it's over.

Athough there have been worse squads ability wise, in terms of fitness, application and desire, this is the worst Bristol City team I've ever seen. I've never known a season where we've been so consistantly appauling in our performances and I can literally count on one hand, the number of times I haven't shut down the stream thinking "what a load of rubbish". We deserve to be relegated, but we aren't going to be thanks to those very iffy early season away wins, two other teams promoted on PPG last year that were never going to be good enough for this league, and Sheff Wed with their points deduction. MASSIVE overhaul required in the summer. We need new strikers, a new captain, new fitness staff, a new recruitment director and a whole new philosophy. Things are rotten to the core.

2 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

It's quite hard to put in to words how much I hate this current squad of players.

Unfortunately it costs too much to just start again so no doubt some of these cowards with be defiling the clubs badge again in the future. 

Fair comment Wolfie.

Would you keep any of the OOC players? I'm not sure I would tbh. Maybe Walsh but we haven't really seen him.

Killed by injuries. Had a big part to play. 
But totally bored by our football, our lack of imagination and lack of basics: back back back to Bentley,hoof, the opposition win it; strikers who can’t control the ball; defenders who can’t defend the box.

Very worried by NP’s inability to produce a more resilient team. I’m hoping the injury situation, out-of-contract situation plus the feeling of nothing to play for after Birmingham accounted for that. But I really do wonder...

17 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Definitely not. Every ooc player has had the chance to warn a new deal, none has taken that chance for me.

I'm more worried about out in contract players tbh, Kalas, CoD, Wells etc. I'd be looking for buyers for all but I'd be amazed if there is any interest. 

I'm hoping that the likes of Kalas, CoD, Wells will be able to step up their game next season under NP, and surrounded by a generally improved team with some key players coming in (who will hopefully lift the existing players rather than get dragged down by them).  Hopefully the injury issue will also now get sorted, with changes to the backroom staff, NP sayig he won't rush players back in before they are ready etc.

My concern is how much Lansdown will make available for new signings this summer. Given the number OOC, we won't bring in much from sales to reinvest in signings.

20 minutes ago, Malvern Red said:

Something for the club to reflect upon is that after being part of a family that have attended games for well over 70 years I won’t be renewing my card next season due to lack of entertainment and attitude of players.

I have a feeling you won't be the only one to take that decision, I reckon season cards will be a hard sell and wouldn't be surprised if crowds next season are well down, of course the right recruitment to give us hope for better times ahead would help.

I've watched every min this season and feel pretty exhausted.

Glad that: We are still a Champ side. We have the right type of manager in place. Our young players have stepped up and give hope for the future.

Hopefully we come out of the churn over the next couple of months in good shape, ready to have another go.

Much like life in general, it's been a year to forget.

Hopefully the season that the fans of this club were snapped out of their snake-charmer-like zombie state that the club has reduced them to over the last few years with endless propaganda of nonsense and celebration of mediocrity.

Arrogance never wins and the hierarchy got to a point where they were so disconnected from the true fans of my club that they thought they could do anything.

The preposterous appointment of the unfortunate patsy Dean Holden and the decline from there on the pitch and behind the scenes ultimately broke the camels back.

My reflection? Lucky to have Pearson, lucky to have Championship status, and lucky we have a chance to rebuild after what was basically almost catastrophic incompetence by the senior management of our club in plain sight.

After the appointment of Holden last summer, I thought we’d finish around 18th but what played out was worse than that. It’s a minor miracle weren’t relegated, especially with the players throwing the towel in after Ashton’s admission over Fam. 

High — Ashton going 

Low — The rigorous six-week process to end up with Holden (not his fault, btw)

With hindsight ( although I think some signs were evident at the time) what we’ve seen this season has been brewing for 2-3 years now. Since the zenith of the league cup semi final we’ve regressed, and have done so both on and off the pitch. 

My positives are :

1. While we perhaps won't know for certain, I think many/the majority feel that much of our demise is/was due to Mark Ashton’s overriding control and decision making, so my first positive is his leaving the club.

2. Our injury crisis had a huge impact on the season, but without it, and under Holden’s leadership, the danger would have been limping to another disappointing season but one that would have seen no change. As it is, the injuries only exacerbated on pitch performances, which exposed our poor recruitment and player quality and ultimately the departure of the medical/performance team.

3. Pearson’s appointment. Without such dismal and worrying onfield capitulation, we might now be sitting in mid table and “looking forward” to a new season with Dean Holden in charge. In Pearson we have the experienced and capable manager that many have been calling for of a long time. I think we need to look past the last few months as I think the most important part of Pearson’s remit is to evaluate the club and give SL his honest assessment of where we are and what we need to do to get where we want to be. This is where his experience and character will be important as I don’t think SL would have taken such critical feedback ( because I’m sure that is what it will have been) from a Lee Johnson or a Dean Holden.

4 Pearson took the job permanently. Despite having seen the club through it’s worst period for a very long time, Nigel Pearson was willing to take on the challenge. If he has seen us at our worst, he must have recognised reasons to want the job. Hopefully  this will be  because of the p -word he can see and that, in SL, he has has an owner willing to back him and make the necessary decisions ( or back NP’s decisions e.g. medical team) and also provide the financial support for the team rebuilding we now need.

5. Given the above, I think it is a positive that SL has taken Pearson on knowing that he would be hearing a lot of things he wouldn't be comfortable with and, if he wanted to retain NP’s services he would have to act on Pearson’s recommendations.

6. Academy/youth players. Given the appalling performances and application of too many senior players, the introduction of young players has been a breath of fresh air and they have given creditable performances in a very poor team. I’m not suggesting we build a team around them, but with finances stretched due to the pandemic I suspect Pearson will not be able to bring in all th players he would like and it is good to know that we are bringing through young players capable of featuring in the championship.

1 hour ago, Renaissance Williams said:

I can’t think of a better season to have been locked out of the Gate. Bet they wouldn’t have refunded our money if we’d been let in to watch all that nonsense.

Could the players have played that way in front of a crowd?

I doubt it. That lack of drive would not have been accepted and they would have been embarassed into playing better football I am sure.

The players have got away with a lot of performances they wouldn't dare to have made in front of a crowd, particularly at Ashton Gate. There's a lot of debate about just how bad this team is.

Is terms of attitude it is absolutely the worst and the reason most ooc players must go.

The positives

Bentley, proved one of the best keepers in the division (not without his faults)

The young players, being able to see them have a chance and start to believe we have a bright future with some great talent

Now having a manager who has the experience who will take us forward and not take sh1t from underperforming over paid players

In a funny way, the bad form of the past few games, its allowed NP to let certain players hang themselves, so he can go into re-building knowing they are not up for the fight and need  to be replaced

In 50 years of support this has to be one of the worst seasons that i can remember barring the relegtion era of the 80's of course. Think SL should take a huge part of the blame in my opinion as i feel he is not the best at appointing the right people at times. Good man tho wouldn't change him for the world, we could have worse.  Champagne moment for me is the departure of Ashton and his friends, good riddance. He was part of our downfall in my view. Glad its over and looking forward to next season under Nige. He talks a good job and I just hope that he can put it in to practice. But who knows, at the end of the day this is Bristol City. Believe!

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I thought the first 10 games were pretty good, bit of revisionism here.

Then isolated decent results and performances but a very long hard 6-7 months since those first 10.

Not really, we were lucky in most of our wins except Stoke (a), which was the most and possibly only complete performance this season.

Coventry got caught early and we got outplayed after that.

Forest battered us and Bentley won us the game.

Wednesday outplayed us for an hour.

We were lucky, thank god we were otherwise we would all be looking forward to League One football.

That was us at out best mind you, scraping 12 points.

Horrible

4 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Not really, we were lucky in most of our wins except Stoke (a), which was the most and possibly only complete performance this season.

Coventry got caught early and we got outplayed after that.

Forest battered us and Bentley won us the game.

Wednesday outplayed us for an hour.

We were lucky, thank god we were otherwise we would all be looking forward to League One football.

That was us at out best mind you, scraping 12 points.

Horrible

There are games where as fans, just because City aren’t on top / dominating that we then see that as the other team must be.  That’s not the case, there are parts of games where no team is on top.

As fans we sometimes see opposition possession as dominance.  Derby (h) was an example where they just huffed and puffed, around the halfway line, and rarely looked like hurting us.

It has been a tough watch (very tough at times), but it hasn’t always been bad.  Overall it’s been poor.  I’ve seen more shit team performances than I’ve ever seen, but I totally disagree with the summary of the opening 4 games.

But the season is over….don’t suspect many of us will look back fondly!

Archived