IGNORED

Two moments that gave me hope today.

Port Said Red

It's going to be really interesting to see how many of our young players are going to be part of the first team squad next season. Massengo and Bakinson are there already and I think Scott, Britton and Conway have all done enough to suggest they might deserve a chance too.

Edwards, Janneh, Towler and Pearson all have potential but I wonder if they'll be on loan next season to get more experience. I've not quite seen enough of Bell to judge. And then there's players like Pring and Cundy who could come into the mix too. 

There's definitely a lot of potential ability. I'm not getting my hopes up, statistically 1 of those 6 will probably make it to the prem, 2 will stay in the championship and the other 3 will tail off and play in the lower leagues. 

There's definitely not a solid core. We're let down by the more experienced players IMO. 

1 minute ago, Pezo said:

There's definitely a lot of potential ability. I'm not getting my hopes up, statistically 1 of those 6 will probably make it to the prem, 2 will stay in the championship and the other 3 will tail off and play in the lower leagues. 

There's definitely not a solid core. We're let down by the more experienced players IMO. 

What stats are these please?

In contrast with a number of the total shitshows recently, I was encouraged by a fair bit;

We played well first half with a number of excellent performances.

Second half we tired, some we needed to rely on (like Bakinson) disappeared but we finished with effectively an U23 outfield team bar Baker, so maybe that was to be expected.

Britton will remember this moment for the rest of his life and a teenage central midfield of Scott & HNM is something to be proud of.

Now need to clear out a lot of dead wood & bring in better characters & players to assist those kids.

The youngsters, and we must include HNM in that, are the only real positives to emerge from a dire season that started so brightly undefeated in our first 5 games. We all know the reasons the kids got a chance (And I imagine using 39 players in a season is some sort of record) but every one of them showed some promise. Otherwise, not much to be said but Bentley had a decent season and Kalas was imperious at times. Vyner showed versatility but a plan for where he's going to play has to be settled upon. So time to file this one away and move forward with Nigel with a trimmed but purposeful squad which, if it doesn't prove exciting, is at least hard to beat. I'd settle next season for 20 wins, 12 draws and 14 defeats. 

38 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Louis Britton not only scoring but looking like he can play against men. 

The other moment was a press where there were 6 City players in view and they were.....

Britton
Janneh
Edwards
Scott
Massengo 
Bakinson

He's been playing against blokes since he was 16.

23 minutes ago, John Galley said:

Having watched Louis Britton today, I don’t know why we haven’t seen him in the team before, showed far more aggression than Fam ever did.

True, but the even puny Wealdstone Raider shows more aggression than Goal Famine Diedhiou.

Considering the rebuild on our hands, I'd like to see those players involved regularly next season. Not all starters, but they offer more than a lot of the free agents we're being linked with. Just a matter of bringing the right senior players in to provide some experience, and by that I mean players who can still offer something, rather than an ex-Premier League pro looking to top up their pension pot.

42 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It's going to be really interesting to see how many of our young players are going to be part of the first team squad next season. Massengo and Bakinson are there already and I think Scott, Britton and Conway have all done enough to suggest they might deserve a chance too.

Edwards, Janneh, Towler and Pearson all have potential but I wonder if they'll be on loan next season to get more experience. I've not quite seen enough of Bell to judge. And then there's players like Pring and Cundy who could come into the mix too. 

I can see all of them being out on loan apart from Alex Scott 

25 minutes ago, John Galley said:

Having watched Louis Britton today, I don’t know why we haven’t seen him in the team before, showed far more aggression than Fam ever did.

Incredible today….5 yellows (Palmer, Simpson, Baker, Scott and Britton) - all for forceful challenges, not tippy-tappy stuff.  Baker also crunched Toney in the first half.  Brentford didn’t like it, and for 45 minutes we gave them something to think about.  Toney might’ve got a red card on another day.  How many cynical fouls were there on Scott as he broke past players

I like the fact that the youngster aren’t meek and mild.  Scott shows far more technical use of his body than several others, some who are internationals.

They look like they know what it takes….now for them to keep improving.

2 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Considering the rebuild on our hands, I'd like to see those players involved regularly next season. Not all starters, but they offer more than a lot of the free agents we're being linked with. Just a matter of bringing the right senior players in to provide some experience, and by that I mean players who can still offer something, rather than an ex-Premier League pro looking to top up their pension pot.

It’s one thing giving kids the odd game here & there but most of them are nowhere near ready yet. They need lower league regular games. Most of them are not physically ready yet never mind mentally. The championship is brutal . 

I thought the first half was very promising. Part of the trick in the summer will be to manage expectations. If Pearson comes out and says that we are in for a couple of seasons of transition, of seeing a blend of youth and experience and of giving young players the experience they need to improve we'll all buy that. If Lansdown delivers another of his wishful thinking 'top 6 here we come' acts the mood will sour.

But there could be exciting times around the corner.

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

Is it right academy lads aren’t included in main squad so can be used as & when ?  

U21s do not need to be on the 25 squad list…..but if they’re on loan, they can’t play, hence my reticence to jump into loaning them before we know the score!

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

U21s do not need to be on the 25 squad list…..but if they’re on loan, they can’t play, hence my reticence to jump into loaning them before we know the score!

Interesting listening to NP on radio bristol. Made a reference to having to Chuck some of the kids in when not ready due to injuries (paraphrasing) but when asked if some of the could be in the squad for next season he said yes. Young players can develop over a summer . I presume he meant physically . 

26 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Interesting listening to NP on radio bristol. Made a reference to having to Chuck some of the kids in when not ready due to injuries (paraphrasing) but when asked if some of the could be in the squad for next season he said yes. Young players can develop over a summer . I presume he meant physically . 

Yep he added the word physically too.  Those players will’ve benefitted from training with the first team.  Some have trained with them pretty much all season (Towler), the likes of Britton only recently.  Some players just adapt / adjust.  Alex Scott is 17….yet he appears to have taken to first team training and playing with no probs at all.

So, Pearson will need to take stock.

Looks like it’s not a “straight on hols” either….perhaps some conditioning work first, so they can come back string, ready to go into full pre-season.

They do look promising, but trying not to get too excited. Just because they are good for their age doesn't mean they will continue to progress linearly. We've all seen cases of "hot prospects" who go on to be very average and never fulfil their early apparent potential. We've also seen the opposite; players who looked okay young and then really kicked on at 24 or so.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep he added the word physically too.  Those players will’ve benefitted from training with the first team.  Some have trained with them pretty much all season (Towler), the likes of Britton only recently.  Some players just adapt / adjust.  Alex Scott is 17….yet he appears to have taken to first team training and playing with no probs at all.

So, Pearson will need to take stock.

Looks like it’s not a “straight on hols” either….perhaps some conditioning work first, so they can come back string, ready to go into full pre-season.

I’m told they have at least next week before they go on hols.

Diedhiou pretty certain to be gone.

Kalas dropped today.

Archived