IGNORED

Pearson post match interview

Unan

3 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Thanks for taking time out to respond.

Your post mentions antagonism at the end. Surely that would be something of saying we're doomed, everyone is shite and everyone is going to fail etc and constantly doing that

However that's simply not what is occurring. 

Ive taken each match and interview in isolation and consider and react based on what I've seen, or in some cases dont comment because I've not seen it. 

Regarding your NP points. 

He's on his worst run at any club, ever in his managerial history. 

Brief look at soccer base suggests

P14 w2 d3 l9

I cant share the blind faith that things are going to be better, as many seem too. 

The discourse seems to be around look at Leicester and look at what happened there and wait for a repeat. 

Unlike others, I dont think the squad is poor, and it would have been great to have a competitive team leading into next season. 

However we've not won since Birmingham in Mid March and conceded 10 goals ish in our last three games. 

I guess it boils down as to how people view football. If some see things as needing a talismanic figure to solve all the assumed issues then I get and understand that. 

I dont agree with that stance and as I've mentioned a billion times, sometimes managers and clubs dont mesh well. It happens and is not steeped with the manager is rubbish, or whatever else. 

On what's been shown and in three months weve gone backwards on the pitch and in terms of where we are and what we can do. 

If there was a plan, or a style to implement, then surely we'd be seeing that by now, but there's scant to no evidence of that. 

I love the fact we're playing young players and have long been a proponent of that as far back as the days of clashing with AY(RIP) and others about that and continually loaning out players to improve them, when we should be doing that where possible. 

That we are is aces and it's good to see. 

The rest though is causing concern. Your post and others see my posts as odd and bizarre and I get why that maybe the case. However  I simply dont see it the same way. 

At some point as manager all of this blame game has to stop and we need to see proof in the pudding as it were. 

NP needs to start showing that to have something to buy into, walk the walk rather than talking the talk and if that happens then it would be absolutely wonderful. 

A good post to be fair.

I think that Pearson is the best person that we could have appointed, but I think even his biggest fan would be lying if they said that they weren't concerned about the run of results. 

However, the bounce when he came in has seen us safe and has given us the luxury of the summer to let someone who has been there and done it (something that we have been crying out for for years) shape things in the way he sees fit.

I see his interviews differently to you. I find him reassuring in the things he says and the way he says them. I certainly don't agree that he is playing a blame game. He specifically states that he takes responsibility because it is his team, and I like the way he protects his players on an individual basis (Kalas being the prime example yesterday if you believe the rumours to be true), but you can't give the team 'get out of jail cards' when they consistently fail to apply the instructions that you give them.

(I do wish that he would stop saying 'yeah' in the middle of sentences though).

Yes, I am concerned. But I think the time to start judging him is from today.

36 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The question we should be asking is why has it been nigh impossible to turn the performances around?

My opinion, based on a lot of hindsight.

Two rookie managers. One who thought he was more important than the players. The other too matey with them.

A club decision to sell top players at the first opportunity and replace them with a scattergun policy operated by a self opinionated CEO who didn't have a clue about the quality and excessive numbers of players that he was buying.

Add to that the shambles in the medical and fitness background which created a truly amazing number of long term injuries. More hamstring problems than I can ever remember.

And some expected that Nigel Pearson would arrive and repair all the damage in five minutes!

Even the great Sir Alex found it tough going for a few YEARS at Man U. Similarly Klopp needed three years. And look at how much decline this season almost certainly due to all their centre back injuries.

We should have been relegated. We managed to perform a minor miracle and stay up.

If we finish between 12th and 18th next season, I'll be grateful. It will take Pearson or any other manager you care to name at least two to three years to dig us out of this pile of smelly brown stuff!

The scatter gun policy to signings was LJs, Ashton merely did the negotiation and oversaw the admin.

Once players have had their heads turned by a Premier League club, it becomes impossible to keep them. If you do say no to an offer form will drop, as such taking a big bag of money is the best option. Every club outside of the Prem operates this way, it is just a fact of life!

I mostly agree with what you drive at. The Ashton Holden LJ years have got us back to within a whisker of League One, thus an overhaul is required throughout the Football Club.....See The Bears are top of the league, so perhaps the model to follow is already here>?

Nige fills me with confidence when he talks about what needs to change. He can see what is wrong. 

Whether he can fix it is a different question. Performances on the pitch haven't given any evidence he can - so far. 

He has done it before, so I'm hoping he can again. At this point it just has to be hope though. Sadly we see our hopes dashed regularly at this club. So I'm still anxious about what he'll be able to deliver over the next couple of seasons. 

I think the jury's out on NP, we'll get a better idea of his worth when we've played the first dozen games or so next season. If there's no improvement after that I anticipate most on here will change their view but it could go the other way so let's hope for the best.

2 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

Knob

If you must abuse the poster please use the correct gender term - its Knobette.

FWIW, I tend to agree with some of what she says, the performances have been shocking and there doesn't appear to be any sign of improvement. There does appear to be a lot of blind faith in NP based on his previous experience alone and I can see why some may think his listing of problems and saying standards aren't high enough could be viewed as excuses.

But the bigger picture for me is that the problems are now apparent and rather than excuses, they are the cause of the problems.

We have, up till now, had an absent owner and chairman who put their trust into one bloke running the whole show and has now dropped them in the shite. Its only now that MA and his crew have slithered away, that anyone has looked into the deeper problems in the club and suggested a way forward. Is NP the right man to see it through ? I'm 50/50 on that.

I said on some other thread some time ago that SL needed to get his nose back into the club which met with some disapproval on here. Well, imo, he and JL need to get stuck into it on a daily basis and look after the club in tandem with NP.

2 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I think the jury's out on NP, we'll get a better idea of his worth when we've played the first dozen games or so next season. If there's no improvement after that I anticipate most on here will change their view but it could go the other way so let's hope for the best.

Even then it’s too soon i think, that will be 12 games in with one pre season and a new squad. Got a season for me to stabilise us and then i will start to really question the appointment 

33 minutes ago, Superjack said:

A good post to be fair.

I think that Pearson is the best person that we could have appointed, but I think even his biggest fan would be lying if they said that they weren't concerned about the run of results. 

However, the bounce when he came in has seen us safe and has given us the luxury of the summer to let someone who has been there and done it (something that we have been crying out for for years) shape things in the way he sees fit.

I see his interviews differently to you. I find him reassuring in the things he says and the way he says them. I certainly don't agree that he is playing a blame game. He specifically states that he takes responsibility because it is his team, and I like the way he protects his players on an individual basis (Kalas being the prime example yesterday if you believe the rumours to be true), but you can't give the team 'get out of jail cards' when they consistently fail to apply the instructions that you give them.

Hypocrite ?.

Seriously, though, I do agree with the general gist of your post.

NP's arrival gave us just enough impetus to reach safety; we can now regroup, clear out the deadwood and, hopefully, prepare for next season with a refreshed and well-prepared, i.e. fit, squad.

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Hypocrite ?.

Seriously, though, I do agree with the general gist of your post.

NP's arrival gave us just enough impetus to reach safety; we can now regroup, clear out the deadwood and, hopefully, prepare for next season with a refreshed and well-prepared, i.e. fit, squad.

That was at the start of the sentence, Phil. ???

28 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

The scatter gun policy to signings was LJs, Ashton merely did the negotiation and oversaw the admin.

Once players have had their heads turned by a Premier League club, it becomes impossible to keep them. If you do say no to an offer form will drop, as such taking a big bag of money is the best option. Every club outside of the Prem operates this way, it is just a fact of life!

I mostly agree with what you drive at. The Ashton Holden LJ years have got us back to within a whisker of League One, thus an overhaul is required throughout the Football Club.....See The Bears are top of the league, so perhaps the model to follow is already here>?

You rather understate Ashton's role and power. Would that he had just been an administrator but he was in control of all day to day football operations. The Head Coach worked to him as we had no Director of Football or equivalent.

This included being Head of Recruitment - the analysts worked to him and he was unduly proud of his player database. Of course he sacked successive Chief Scouts as well.

In one of his last interviews he explained that he gave a list of players for the Head Coach to choose from.

So not just negotiating fees and contracts then, which would hardly justify his £500k a year.

20 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Was playing blame bingo. 

Blamed everyone up to and near enough including the fans for surprising him with support. 

Then went with a but in terms of performance and 'responsibility 

Hot air after capitulation number 27000 of the season approximately. 

The telling bit was at the end with the love hate thing. 

My gut is still telling me he's not going to be around long. 

As mentioned loved to be proven wrong, but  we cant keep folding all the time. 

Change the record... its boring.

3 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Been very clear about my gender on here

I'll take the not being discriminated against thanks. 

Not a high horse then is it. 

Oh grow up, I'm supposed to know you're female (or identify as female)? You talk a load of bollocks, so I assumed you were male

3 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Odd that it is deemed appropriate to give a seal of approval to individual posts whilst  the rest of us are  just content to use the appropriate emoji.

?

56 minutes ago, Superjack said:

A good post to be fair.

Yes, agree, and there has to be a concern about recent results.

I think the bounce when he came in also gave him the luxury of being able to try things out and learn about players and formations. We’ve lost our shape, lost games, capitulated, sometimes as a direct result of that. Yesterday’s XI for the last half hour being a case in point.

I don’t blame him for that, but I think he needs to be honest about that now. Although he may not have directly blamed players, he’s sometimes hinted at blame lying elsewhere, and part of the reason (not blame) for recent performances has been him trying things out.

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

Even then it’s too soon i think, that will be 12 games in with one pre season and a new squad. Got a season for me to stabilise us and then i will start to really question the appointment 

I can't see him being given a season if we're in the relegation zone come Christmas

16 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I can't see him being given a season if we're in the relegation zone come Christmas

Maybe not - but he’s got time with me, this mess isn’t getting sorted in 12 games in my opinion. He’s pretty much already said that. Patience is key next season as i can’t see anything other than another tough season. 

One or two are questioning the value of Pearson’s CV and previous experience when measured against the results achieved since he came here.

While it was important that NP avoided the danger of relegation, which he has although only just, I don't think that results, per se, are the most important aspect of Pearson’s appointment and achievement so far.

Where Pearson’s CV and previous experience and achievements were most important, was that it needed someone with his background to be able to convince SL just how things were at the club ( basically how bad) and to give him a “to do”list of what was needed to put us back on the right track. There seems little doubt that SL has had the wool pulled over his eyes , with MA being able to show the financial success of transfer dealings and league positions, along with off field developments such as stadium and academy builds,  masking underlying fault lines in so many areas of the football side of the club.

It is not just Pearson’s previous experience, but his personality, that made him ideal as I cannot see him as someone prepared to sugar coat the message just to please or appease the owner. Would a less experienced manager/coach be similarly forthright when looking to secure a permanent appointment?

The most positive sign for me is that Pearson has been through one of the worst periods for one field performance I can remember, despite which he is prepared to take on the challenge . Similarly, having seen his new appointment “oversee” that horrendous sequence of performances and results  and received what must have been tough to hear home truths about his club from the same man, SL was prepared to reward him with a 3 year contract. My hope is that SL has accepted throatily and what needs t be done and is also prepared to back Pearson ( within sensible financial reason, with the plans he must have put forward.

That is what makes me optimistic, although I think the first part of next season might not be for the feint hearted!

I’ve been critical of NP’s demeanour in previous threads but I actually thought this one wasn’t so bad and had signs of optimism. Maybe the end of the season is a better time to point out how bad everything is, which was kind of my point previously.

As I often think in my day job, it doesn’t take a genius to point out what is wrong with a situation but it often does take some genius to figure out how to change it. NP has done plenty of the former but we need to see the latter now

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

You rather understate Ashton's role and power. Would that he had just been an administrator but he was in control of all day to day football operations. The Head Coach worked to him as we had no Director of Football or equivalent.

This included being Head of Recruitment - the analysts worked to him and he was unduly proud of his player database. Of course he sacked successive Chief Scouts as well.

In one of his last interviews he explained that he gave a list of players for the Head Coach to choose from.

So not just negotiating fees and contracts then, which would hardly justify his £500k a year.

He gave him random lists unsolicited? 

If LJ needed a player he would say what position and who. Ashton gave him a list in return of players based upon a number of criteria availability cost and playing stats with history.  

I think LJs role is understated due to Ashton being the pantomime villain right now. Fact is they were both terrible and to use an 80s expression up their own arses! It was in their DNA!

THANK god for Pearson 

26 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

If LJ needed a player he would say what position and who. Ashton gave him a list in return of players based upon a number of criteria availability cost and playing stats with history.  

I think LJs role is understated due to Ashton being the pantomime villain right now. Fact is they were both terrible and to use an 80s expression up their own arses! It was in their DNA!

THANK god for Pearson 

I don't dispute the shared responsibility, I was responding to a claim that all Ashton did was to negotiate fees and contracts, which was palpably not the case.

Though if I were Head Coach I would prefer recommendations to come from a football expert.

6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I don't dispute the shared responsibility, I was responding to a claim that all Ashton did was to negotiate fees and contracts, which was palpably not the case.

Though if I were Head Coach I would prefer recommendations to come from a football expert.

The context being the scatter gun approach! Clearly if Ashton was giving LJ lists of players that is not scatter gun on behalf of Ashton. In fact that was the opposite. 

If LJ said I want a player specific or not he got anything in range of the club or a list of alternatives usually both..But the ones we did get never looked as though they were part of a coherent plan! Either way we by and large agree on the issue, personally I weight LJ As having a good deal more than a 50% slice of any blame for where we are, but at this point who cares!!

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

The context being the scatter gun approach! Clearly if Ashton was giving LJ lists of players that is not scatter gun on behalf of Ashton. In fact that was the opposite. 

If LJ said I want a player specific or not he got anything in range of the club or a list of alternatives usually both..But the ones we did get never looked as though they were part of a coherent plan! Either way we by and large agree on the issue, personally I weight LJ As having a good deal more than a 50% slice of any blame for where we are, but at this point who cares!!

I agree there was no obvious strategy or plan.

The only indication is that SL said he wanted the club to become self-sustaining. But then he allowed wage costs to spiral. We may be fine FFP wise but self-sustainablity is as far away as ever.

4 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Whether anyone agrees or not, a dozen games with a close-season, pre-season, and a transfer window behind him is long enough to see some form of trajectory…even if looking at results alone. Add in performance levels to, playing identity etc, and I think most fans will start to see a picture emerging.

To do so now imho is futile.

4 hours ago, Rob k said:

No manager will survive beyond a reasonable amount of games having had the summer to address some of the issues he’s identified, or address in part all of the issues.

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

One or two are questioning the value of Pearson’s CV and previous experience when measured against the results achieved since he came here.

While it was important that NP avoided the danger of relegation, which he has although only just, I don't think that results, per se, are the most important aspect of Pearson’s appointment and achievement so far.

He has in terms of points, but safety was achieved in my option after Brum (a)…even if not mathematically.

Where Pearson’s CV and previous experience and achievements were most important, was that it needed someone with his background to be able to convince SL just how things were at the club ( basically how bad) and to give him a “to do”list of what was needed to put us back on the right track. There seems little doubt that SL has had the wool pulled over his eyes , with MA being able to show the financial success of transfer dealings and league positions, along with off field developments such as stadium and academy builds,  masking underlying fault lines in so many areas of the football side of the club.

…and that to me was the most important thing to achieve after those early results.  Especially as SL came out on that Sunday morning and was very, very protective of the regime - “we don’t want to undo the hard work Lee did”.  Now, whether NP was persuasive or the natural events of MA leaving caused a big change in SL we will never know….it doesn’t matter really.  He’s given NP the job.

It is not just Pearson’s previous experience, but his personality, that made him ideal as I cannot see him as someone prepared to sugar coat the message just to please or appease the owner. Would a less experienced manager/coach be similarly forthright when looking to secure a permanent appointment?

The most positive sign for me is that Pearson has been through one of the worst periods for one field performance I can remember, despite which he is prepared to take on the challenge . Similarly, having seen his new appointment “oversee” that horrendous sequence of performances and results  and received what must have been tough to hear home truths about his club from the same man, SL was prepared to reward him with a 3 year contract. My hope is that SL has accepted throatily and what needs t be done and is also prepared to back Pearson ( within sensible financial reason, with the plans he must have put forward.

That is what makes me optimistic, although I think the first part of next season might not be for the feint hearted!

⬆️⬆️⬆️

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

THANK god for Pearson 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

33 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I seem to recall (fact actually) that LJ brought Holden in so he could focus more on recruitment, and have to spend less time on the training ground.  So I genuinely cannot absolve LJ….imho they were both as bad as each other.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Whether anyone agrees or not, a dozen games with a close-season, pre-season, and a transfer window behind him is long enough to see some form of trajectory…even if looking at results alone. Add in performance levels to, playing identity etc, and I think most fans will start to see a picture emerging.

To do so now imho is futile.

No manager will survive beyond a reasonable amount of games having had the summer to address some of the issues he’s identified, or address in part all of the issues.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

⬇️⬇️⬇️

I seem to recall (fact actually) that LJ brought Holden in so he could focus more on recruitment, and have to spend less time on the training ground.  So I genuinely cannot absolve LJ….imho they were both as bad as each other.

12 games with half his own team is not reasonable to me - hence I’m happy to take a back seat next season and just go and watch. Im not getting cross next season ?

31 minutes ago, Rob k said:

12 games with half his own team is not reasonable to me - hence I’m happy to take a back seat next season and just go and watch. Im not getting cross next season ?

I agree, just think you’ll start to see some trajectory at that point.  People like you and I are a bit more patient.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I agree, just think you’ll start to see some trajectory at that point.  People like you and I are a bit more patient.

After this season’s performances and going’s on I’m guessing most people will be happy with next season showing improvement in position and the beginnings of a style and brand of football that is kinder on the eye and stirs the passions more than the fare we’ve been dealt up the last few years. I don’t think many reasonable people expect miracles next season and will show patience with NP given what a watershed moment this feels. 

Unfortunately for Pearson and the team like most clubs there is a vocal part of the support who are not very patient.

I think this rebuild will take a few transfer windows to truly shape this new team, hopefully patience and time is afforded to Pearson but also we show enough improvement to keep the fans largely onside.

This summer is massive in my opinion and Nige should push for as many changes as he can. Leave no stone unturned. 

The big unknown at the moment is how much cash NP will have to spend over the summer.

if it’s a question of recycling cash generated from sales, it’s not going to be a lot.

SL is going to dig deep into his pockets this Summer to keep most fans happy.

Archived