IGNORED

Ivan Toney query

22A

When City let Szmodics go to P'boro', there was speculation on this forum that it was a sweetener as Ivan Toney was a P'boro' player who wanted to move on and City were interested in him.

In the end Ivan signed or Brentford; why?

Did Brentford make a better offer than City, or did Brentford offer the player better Ts & Cs, or did City's then management decide not to pursue him?

Well, if it took 19 emails from Pboro to sign Szmodics then god knows how long Ashton would’ve taken to make his mind up on Toney. 

Besides. We missed our initial chance for him in 2012 when he was at Northampton 

9 minutes ago, 22A said:

When City let Szmodics go to P'boro', there was speculation on this forum that it was a sweetener as Ivan Toney was a P'boro' player who wanted to move on and City were interested in him.

In the end Ivan signed or Brentford; why?

Did Brentford make a better offer than City, or did Brentford offer the player better Ts & Cs, or did City's then management decide not to pursue him?

Whatever the reason, he made a good decision!

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Well, if it took 19 emails from Pboro to sign Szmodics then god knows how long Ashton would’ve taken to make his mind up on Toney. 

Can you elaborate on this @Harry?

Surely Mark Ashton didn’t have every e-mail on divert unless it came from Ipswich or the States?

Massive load of revisionism here.

We spent £1m in total last summer, all of it on Joe Williams, then we sold Szmodics & Eliasson for more than that.

Due to the pandemic there wasn’t any chance of us buying Toney, who cost Brentford £8m.

Just now, GrahamC said:

Massive load of revisionism here.

We spent £1m in total last summer, all of it on Joe Williams, then we sold Szmodics & Eliasson for more than that.

Due to the pandemic there wasn’t any chance of us buying Toney, who cost Brentford £8m.

oh there was and it wasn’t 8 million!

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

Besides. We missed our initial chance for him in 2012 when he was at Northampton 

Saw that. Really made me laugh. At what level of emails count do you not just pick up the phone and thrash it out over a call for 20-30 mins? Very odd

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

How much was it then?

2 million less up front than the quoted 8

Just now, frenchred said:

it was little lee who had it all agreed and believe me it’s from a very good source!

There’s absolutely no way in hell Ivan Toney would’ve scored 30 goals if he’d signed for us this season. I don’t even think he’d have got 20, and that’s assuming he stayed fit which was no guarantee under Rolls’ watch. 

1 minute ago, frenchred said:

So a Kasey Palmer and Gustav Engvall then for an Ivan Toney.

I wonder if our credibility in the football world is at a low.

There must be a number of managers who applied for the job when Holden got it who would never touch us again, and in turn anyone they work with won’t have a good opinion either.

Plus the fact we are (despite the propaganda) a walk over in the transfer market.

1 minute ago, tin said:

There’s absolutely no way in hell Ivan Toney would’ve scored 30 goals if he’d signed for us this season. I don’t even think he’d have got 20, and that’s assuming he stayed fit which was no guarantee under Rolls’ watch. 

Spot on,imagine Toney being asked to chase back and defend the left wing,that’s why fammy was so underrated here

11 minutes ago, frenchred said:

it was little lee who had it all agreed and believe me it’s from a very good source!

£6m then.

Brentford were in a more advantageous position than us, assuming you mean Summer 2020 due to Watkins and Benrahma- they had headroom we may not have had.

Who is to say a number of their signings would have come off here too. Toney, and I'd add given the criticism some of our mdifield options have had, would say Jensen or Norgaard have fitted with our 'style' whatever that might be- gotta think perhaps not.

Brentford were really the only team in the league in a position to sign Toney last summer. The teams coming down could have possibly but most want to get their house in order first and usually have a decent squad sticking around.

Brentford sold two players for roughly 45m and spent 15% on Toney. Was a lot of money in covid times but Brentford had an extra 30 mil to fall back on. Not to mention their brand of football really helps their investments. If they don’t go up they will be asking for 30m or more for Toney. I would not be surprised if there will be reports they ask for 40m. Only his first season there so they will have the leverage. The success of Watkins will help too.

Anyway, I think there was almost a 0% chance we could afford him last summer. And if it we could, for him to choose us over Brentford would make the possibility of him being in a Bristol City shirt 0. 

1 minute ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Seem to remember, he was only interested in going to a London club

Don't know if City had a real opportunity to sign him, but not sure this statement is quite true - Toney was keen on a move to Celtic and was even given a tour of the stadium and training facilities. In the end they were another side that wouldn't spend the money Peterborough wanted. 

Brentford has probably been the best move he could have made at the time, all things considered.

29 minutes ago, Harry said:

Lee Johnson had him on loan at Barnsley in 2015/16.

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

£6m then.

Brentford were in a more advantageous position than us, assuming you mean Summer 2020 due to Watkins and Benrahma- they had headroom we may not have had.

Who is to say a number of their signings would have come off here too. Toney, and I'd add given the criticism some of our mdifield options have had, would say Jensen or Norgaard have fitted with our 'style' whatever that might be- gotta think perhaps not.

it was agreed before brentford had time to bid!

39 minutes ago, Harry said:

And having had him at Barnsley, LJ didn’t see the potential in him at this level when he was having loans at Scunthorpe and Wigan.

Archived