IGNORED

Ivan Toney query

22A

16 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

£6m was not so plausible given FFP and the prevailing uncertainty.

Are you talking about Summer 2020 or- I ask again, given our 'style' would varied other Brentford players who flourish there do so here- I have my doubts.

It was after Webster went, so 2019. Johnson was promised half the Webster money and had Toney done and dusted for £6m. Ashton scuppered the deal.

15 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

It’s all very well looking back with hindsight, but the relevant question to ask is who would be the potential 20 goal championship striker to buy from league 1 today? Who should we be looking at as a similar investment? Wyke, Pigott, Yates?

Clarke-Harris

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

How do you know that?

It was on the official site?

25 minutes ago, Hello Dave said:

It was after Webster went, so 2019. Johnson was promised half the Webster money and had Toney done and dusted for £6m. Ashton scuppered the deal.

That was the same story I was told!!

19 minutes ago, Hello Dave said:

Yep, we spent £24m on transfer fees that season….let alone wages, agent fees, signing in fees and loan fees. So he got all the Webster money!!!!

What a waste. 

12 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

It’s all very well looking back with hindsight, but the relevant question to ask is who would be the potential 20 goal championship striker to buy from league 1 today? Who should we be looking at as a similar investment? Wyke, Pigott, Yates?

Sat here today I don’t see us going for someone like Pigott 27 or Wyke 28, but the likes of Charles or Yates maybe. 

8 minutes ago, Hello Dave said:

Must be something in it then.

Unproven rumour from the boring bloke down the pub.................:disapointed2se:

I heard that the amount that Ashton had was capped and that’s why he wouldn’t pay the price that Posh were asking.........

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Unproven rumour from the boring bloke down the pub.................:disapointed2se:

I heard that the amount that Ashton had was capped and that’s why he wouldn’t pay the price that Posh were asking.........

You believe your sources, I’ll believe mine. SL knew nothing about Ashton’s meddling and tried to get the deal redirected. Well, that’s what the boring bloke down the pub told me!

Just now, Hello Dave said:

You believe your sources, I’ll believe mine. SL knew nothing about Ashton’s meddling and tried to get the deal redirected. Well, that’s what the boring bloke down the pub told me!

Resurrected.

2 hours ago, Hello Dave said:

Wow, didn't know that. Did Toney seem like he'd be one to take us forward rapidly at that time...personally I was keen on Joao 2 years ago and he's gone on to flourish (though not like Toney this year especially) at Reading. LJ had worked with Toney at Barnsley too IIRC.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wow, didn't know that. Did Toney seem like he'd be one to take us forward rapidly at that time...personally I was keen on Joao 2 years ago and he's gone on to flourish (though not like Toney this year especially) at Reading. LJ had worked with Toney at Barnsley too IIRC.

I was told that Toney was dead keen to come. Johnson thought Dave was a decent back up striker, but wanted Toney as his number 1 striker.

2 minutes ago, Hello Dave said:

I was told that Toney was dead keen to come. Johnson thought Dave was a decent back up striker, but wanted Toney as his number 1 striker.

Diedhiou as backup, agreed. 

Can see arguments both ways with Toney as it was two years ago. He only really exploded into Iife in 2019/20- quick Wiki search says up to 2018/19, 44 in 131 League One games. 16 in 44 at Peterborough in 2018/19 could have been a sign of things to come.

Then again, who can say we would have got the best out of him. I've asked @frenchred this one before but eg Norgaard and Jensen at Brentford would they have hit the same levels here as there- I have my doubts.

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Diedhiou as backup, agreed. 

Can see arguments both ways with Toney as it was two years ago. He only really exploded into Iife in 2019/20- quick Wiki search says up to 2018/19, 44 in 131 League One games. 16 in 44 at Peterborough in 2018/19 could have been a sign of things to come.

Then again, who can say we would have got the best out of him. I've asked @frenchred this one before but eg Norgaard and Jensen at Brentford would they have hit the same levels here as there- I have my doubts.

If our scouting is any good, they would’ve known that he would get better and better. Saying that,are place is a graveyard for strikers!

14 minutes ago, Hello Dave said:

If our scouting is any good, they would’ve known that he would get better and better. Saying that,are place is a graveyard for strikers!

Hindsight too etc. We'd signed a few from Lower Leagues in the preceding years with mixed results at best let's say.

How he'd have fared here from 2019, who can say. Players Played with decent track records, certainly not limited to strikers either, have come here and subsequently stalled or regressed in recent times.

14 hours ago, Robbored said:

Not quite right. The Bees had sold Watkins to Villa and had the available money to sign Toney - another example of Brentford replacing their decent players with ones of equal ability - sadly that didn’t happen at City when our better players were sold.

Ashton wasn’t able to cough up the price Posh wanted for him - but had he asked SL for the asking price he may well of got it but sadly another top player we missed out on.

My point is quality players cease to be quality players when they sign for us. Just see Nahki Wells for a recent example.

3 hours ago, Hello Dave said:

This is what frustrates me.  Imagine spending £5.3m two summers earlier, breaking the club record in the process, and then deciding that he (Fam) was a good back-up.

A microcosm of our shite and no plan recruitment.

MA and SL:

EEA3D7EC-CF2C-4BA7-A772-E691E772754F.jpeg.298fe31ad672d436305cfab80c84e21a.jpeg

The dangerous brothers.

3 hours ago, Hello Dave said:

Listen mate, I don’t give a flying **** what you believe! I’m just telling people what I was told! Or are you pissy because you didn’t here it?

If I had heard it I wouldn’t have posted it on here without some evidence to back it up - as you have no evidence then I guessed you must have dreamt it up...........:cool2:

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

If I had heard it I wouldn’t have posted it on here without some evidence to back it up - as you have no evidence then I guessed you must have dreamt it up...........:cool2:

Just because someone posts something they’ve heard doesn’t mean they’ve dreamt it…nor does it mean it is true either.  To post the above is rude.

I hear stuff all the time….I rarely know the initial source, it’s all a bit second hand, third hand, etc etc.  Some of it is true, some of it isn’t.

I’m most definitely not ITK….and I’ll post what I hear as “rumour”.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just because someone posts something they’ve heard doesn’t mean they’ve dreamt it…nor does it mean it is true either.  To post the above is rude.

I hear stuff all the time….I rarely know the initial source, it’s all a bit second hand, third hand, etc etc.  Some of it is true, some of it isn’t.

I’m most definitely not ITK….and I’ll post what I hear as “rumour”.

People that are really ITK don’t post on here Dave.

If I hear something interesting regarding City and I decide to post it on here I firstly make it clear that it’s just a rumour..........and therefore seriously unreliable but we don’t get that explanation from the new boy Hello Dave and why I questioned it.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

If I hear something interesting regarding City and I decide to post it on here I firstly make it clear that it’s just a rumour..........and therefore seriously unreliable but we don’t get that explanation from the new boy Hello Dave and why I questioned it.

I’m a new boy am I? I used to post on here as St Aldhelms Red, not that makes a difference.  Just because you’ve posted bollocks on here for x amount of years, doesn’t mean your right!! I’ve posted what I’ve heard from a very close source from the club( perhaps I shouldn’t have), what makes you right and me wrong you ******* belted?

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

I can tell your for a fact your wrong there....

1 minute ago, Rob k said:

I can tell your for a fact your wrong there....

Mate, this blokes never wrong!  He thinks he’s the only one to ever have any information, the blokes an absolute cock! There’s a reason he got called out by Gary Johnson!!!

29 minutes ago, Hello Dave said:

Just because you’ve posted bollocks on here for x amount of years, doesn’t mean your right!! I’ve posted what I’ve heard from a very close source from the club( perhaps I shouldn’t have), what makes you right and me wrong you ******* beltend

Post bollocks?...........with over 1400 likes.........:cool2:

Btw....have we met?  I’m just wondering what qualifies you to abuse me.............:dunno:

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Post bollocks?...........with over 1400 likes.........:cool2:

Btw....have we met?  I’m just wondering what qualifies you to abuse me.............:dunno:

Are you for real? You abuse people on here all the time!!! No we haven’t met, but I’m more than happy to have a discussion with you when we are allowed back!. You name the place and time.

2 minutes ago, grifty said:

1400 likes out of over 37000 posts isn't a great ratio...

He thinks it is!! 

Archived